The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

Is there currently maintenance work being carried out on trains on the Sukhumvit line? Noticed twice this week, both morning and evening, that a 3-carriage train has arrived instead of 4-carriage. Haven't seen 3-carriage ones since the new stock arrived and I'd assumed (possibly incorrectly) that all the trains had been upgraded to 4-carriage.

EDIT: Thought this was better off here than in a new thread.

Yes all sets are now 4 cars. Can't really say, it seems strange, especially to be running a 3 car set at peak times.

If there was a fault with a carriage on a train then normally the train would be taken out of service. Seems strange to have withdrawn a carriage unless some of the older carriages from the original rolling stock are undergoing major maintenance/overhaul/refurbishing. Still it would be strange to only withdraw one carriage and not the whole train to do such a task.

The alternate it that some of the new Siemens single carriages have a fault which requires correction but i am only speculating. Next time you see a 3 car set check to see it it has a new carriage or not. That may give us some clue unless someone else has the answer.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Lakegeneve, next time I see one I'll jump on it and see which it is instead of just waving it off and waiting for the next one, just seemed weird to me, like you've said why not take the entire train out of service and do it all at the same time.

In non-peak periods, a good rule of thumb is to assume about 2-3 minutes per station, give or take. So yes, about 30 minutes from Bearing and maybe a little less than 20 from Mo Chit. In peak periods the times may be slightly longer as trains take longer at stations as passengers board / alight, but the difference over a long trip is probably negligible.

On the sukumvit line, it's slightly less than 2 minutes per station. I timed it a few times.

Including being stopped at stations?

Yes, including the stops.

For example: Asok - Onnut, 5 stops, 8-9 minutes

But of course not including any special delays that occur from time to time.

A Rolling Stock Update

5 New Bts sets have arrived

The 5 new CNR 4 car sets of rolling stock arrived last week. They were ordered by the BTSC for the new Bang Wah ext which will open on 5 Dec as scheduled. Testing of the ext is currently underway .

However, I doubt that they will be used on that line as all the previous 7 CNR 4 car sets seem to be exclusively operating on the Sukhumvit line due to the previous sporadic, compatibility problems with the Silom line.

Purple line getting Japanese rolling stock

The BMCL having won the 30 yr concession contract in Sept for the Purple Line which stipulates that 63 cars have to be provided for the line has according to weekend reports, decided to order Japanese stock (though exactly what is unclear for now), http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679223-japan-group-to-build-train-system-in-bangkok-report/?p=6998860. This will be the first Japanese rolling stock for Bangkoks metro lines.

Future needs

On general rolling stock, the MRTA estimates it will need 437 cars for the heavy rail lines (Purple, Blue, Orange, BTS) and around 300 cars for the monorail lines (Pink &Yellow) - Brown or Grey not in that figure it seems.

The breakdown for heavy rail lines currently under construction;

Purple line: 63 cars - 21, 3 car sets,

Blue Line: 84 cars - 21, 4 car sets,

BTS Suk line ext to SP: - 40 cars - 10, 4 car sets

The previous estimate for the whole 300km+ (not including SRT Red suburban lines) planned future network by 2020 was 800 cars . (Obviously, these figures will increase as more exts and line open and actual orders will be contingent upon the operator).You can see why some train manufacturers such as Siemens & Alstom have been contemplating establishing a production facility in Thailand.

Is there a big difference in the quality and reliability of the Chinese and German made rolling stocks?

I have tried to spot the difference as a passenger and felt a more jerking break on the Chinese made units. Also the air con was a lot more noisy, but only outside the train.

Is there a big difference in the quality and reliability of the Chinese and German made rolling stocks?

I have tried to spot the difference as a passenger and felt a more jerking break on the Chinese made units. Also the air con was a lot more noisy, but only outside the train.

Most would say that the much cheaper CNR built sets are indeed of obvious inferior quality compared to the Siemens sets. Many have noted with the jolting experience. There has been compatibility problems with the signalling system on the Silom line.

One inside person stated elsewhere that the are metallurgical process problems at the specific CNR factory which result in cracking and strength degradation of the chassis and body of the trains. Let's see over time if that is an issue.

We'll have to see what the newly delivered 5 sets are like.

Hey Mr Lakegeneve ... when I stay in Thailand, it's at the gf's Farm in Samut Prakan.

The nearest station will be Bang Pu.

Why is the Udon Suk to the Airport going to be MonoRail ... or have it got that wrong?

Will it be the same rolling stock / track type as what's being used on the Sukhumvit Line?

^ David 48, I can't really add more to that which I wrote back in April (#147, pg 6) in reply to a similar query.

You'll be taking the BTS ext to SP for many years before this spur line is built.

Hey Lakegeneve i've seen in a couple of transit master plans of a line that branches off the sukhumvit line and goes down bangna trad and ends up at suvharnabhumi. Do you have any info on this as i can't seem to find any available info in English anywhere on the internet.

This spur line is still part of future plans but is not part of the current Master Plan if that makes sense? (Don't worry, not a lot does!) You can see it in the old map which is in post #2 of this thread. You can see that the spur line is planned for just after Udom Suk station where there the viaduct is built to accommodate it - I beleive the idea was that it would run along the north side of Bang Na - Trat rd but don't quote me on that. I don't include it on my list along with a couple of other lines but perhaps I should?

Basically, my understanding is that it has dropped down the list of metro lines in order to allow the ARL to build up good pax levels - which it has easily - AND the idea was that it would not be built until Swampy Phase 3 Expansion is completed. Phase 2 to be complete by 2016-17. Phase 3 to start immediately thereafter and be done by 2022 (add a couple of years to that). Perhaps others know more?

I would actually guess that once both the Samut Prakan ext is complete (2016) & Lam Lukka ext at the other end is operating (2017-18?? - unknown as the line has not even be tendered), then there will be a push to get this spur line done. Even more so once Phase 2 of the Yellow line opens (Hua Mark to Samrong) at some point in the early 20s?

There has been some talk last year by the BMA that this will be a mono-rail line which would be a stupid mistake.

Just a reminder that the BTS Silom line, 2 station ext to Bang Wah (S11 & S12) will open on 5th Dec. Testing on the line has been underway for the last few weeks.

The opening of the last 2 stations will complete the Silom Line as no further exts are planned in the future.

(Aside from the 1 station ext west from National Stadium W1).

It would however be possible to extend the line further north from Bang Wah/ Phetkasem rd along Ratchapruek rd to say Taling Chan - indeed in about 2 decades I suspect that there will be some demand to do exactly this.

• 2 weeks later...

If I zoom in on Google maps (not streetview), I can see the BTS Bang Wa station being built, however you can also see the pillars going up past the station up Ratchaphruek almost a kilometer. Is that so the trains can turn around or is that part of this possible Taling Chan extension?

Link to map : https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bangkok+thailand&hl=en&ll=13.724544,100.457793&spn=0.00839,0.011748&sll=41.291859,-96.043406&sspn=0.413248,0.751877&hnear=Bangkok,+Thailand&t=h&z=17

If I zoom in on Google maps (not streetview), I can see the BTS Bang Wa station being built, however you can also see the pillars going up past the station up Ratchaphruek almost a kilometer. Is that so the trains can turn around or is that part of this possible Taling Chan extension?

Link to map : https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bangkok+thailand&hl=en&ll=13.724544,100.457793&spn=0.00839,0.011748&sll=41.291859,-96.043406&sspn=0.413248,0.751877&hnear=Bangkok,+Thailand&t=h&z=17

Yes it is about 700-800 north of Bang Wah station

It is an enclosed siding for rolling stock to be housed overnight rather than make the long trip to & from Mo Chit. It seems as though it will be able to house 8 4 car sets or probably 4 6 car sets in the future.

Conceivably, should such an extension north to Taling Chan be eventually approved, it probably could be retrofitted to become a station.

7041_10201856663631043_1366505568_n.jpg

A view from the north side (I took a similar pic last month but it is not as good as this one)

131025_01.jpg

Here is an aerial pic of Bang Wah station with the Blue Line viaduct being built over it. The siding is to the north which is to the left in this pic.

IMG_9513.jpg

(Credit to Samson on SSC)

Does anyone know the GPS coordinates of the two respective stations to be opened soon, as it isn't really so clear on Google Maps (or Bing Maps)?

I would like to add them to my iPhone App since they are soon to be opened.

On a completely different topic, a TV member mentioned the new platform screen doors that are being installed by the BTSC and queries what the plan is.

img2838wn.jpg

(Pic copied from SSC)

The half- height, platform screen doors will be installed gradually in the coming years at all stations in the network starting with the 6 busiest ones in the next year.

Siam will be done by March, thereafter Asoke, Sala Daeng, Victory, On Nut & Phayathai. Cost is 600 million baht. We'll have to see which stations are next after these 6 are completed but I would guess at that rate it will take upwards of 5 years to complete the whole BTS network?

A brief updated on the platform screen doors that are gradually being installed across the two lines.

After many months were no more were installed once Siam was completed by May, we have had a recent frenzy of installation activity. Chong Nonsi & Sala Daeng stations on the Silom Line now have platform screen doors.

On the Sukhumvit Line, Victory, Phaya Thai & Chitlom stations have been completed. At Asoke, they have been installed on the city bound platform but as yet not on the Bearing bound platform.

As yet, none of the screen doors at any station are actually operational from what I have seen. Perhaps, in a few weeks time?

If I've missed it, apologies ... but who's paying for the installation?

And Why?

Have there been accidents, deaths?

Purely a selfish motive ... I'm a BTS shareholder.

There was an accident in Singapore a couple of years ago where a young Thai was killed falling onto the rails in front of a train. If I remember correctly, the parents threatened to sue MRT over lack of security. Maybe somebody thought "Ooooops... could have happened here.". Just a guess.

If I've missed it, apologies ... but who's paying for the installation?

And Why?

Have there been accidents, deaths?

Purely a selfish motive ... I'm a BTS shareholder.

BTSC is paying for the installation.

There have been a number of incidents of people falling onto the tracks at stations. It was a real concern especially back in 2010 at Sala Daeng when the Silom line was overcrowded before the new CNR stock arrived. (There has also been at least one suicide and a few other attempts with people jumping from stations to the road below, and more relevant I recollect an incident back in 04 or 05 where a student jumped in front of an arriving train)

Here is an example of a women who fell onto the track 16 Nov last year at 6:30pm at WWY station (S8)

39932846345510703334834.jpg

It is also the aspired standard to have platform screen doors at all stations in the future and with most of the new lines. To my understanding the stations on the Purple Line will have them installed but i need to check that.

I was have been thinking about this in recent weeks and intended to post this next week. However, it seems that now might be the relevant time.

The mass transit politics of dysfunction in the ongoing power struggle

One of the reasons that we have had such significant delays with the implementation of building new mass transit lines is that every time there is a political change it leads to a suspension of the previous process,with subsequent review, delay and then policy changes. (This is aside from the inter agency rivalry, incompetence and dysfunction that exists at the agency and dept decision maker level).

We run the same risk again currently even though most impending lines are at an advanced stage of the pre tender design and approval process.

First, some history. (I won't go into all the nuances & detail here, just give an overview from 05).

TRT 2005: When the Taksin govt was reelected in Feb 2005 the TRT's mass transport policy was essentially the same as the Dems given that both relied on OTP albeit some small differences mainly related to the timetable of which line would be built when. Thaksin promised to build all 10 lines within 3 years - of course no one believed that. The ARL did at least start construction in mid 05 though it had earlier been deferred for 2 years by Cabinet back in 03.

Coup govt 2006: When the coup occurred in Sept 2006 not one line had been approved or significantly progressed. Most of 2006 was lost to another election and political struggles. However, the BMA funded ext to WWY was being completed and the BMA did start work on the on Nut to Bearing ext in Aug 2006 just before the coup.

During the term of the coup appointed govt 3 lines (BTS Mo Chit ext, Purple Line central section, SRT Red Line, Blue Line ext) were approved by Cabinet with a promise to start work ASAP. The SRT Light Red Line was approved and contracted in mid 2007 but ended up being delayed for 20 months due to a contractual dispute and change of govt. However, nothing really advanced before the election of the PPP in late Dec 2007.

PPP 2008: The PPP essentially was elected on the previous TRT mass transit plan but later Samak came up with his Gold Ring Line idea (reportedly at a restaurant on the back of a napkin). Seemingly, in an attempt to out do Thaksins 05 promise, Samak stated that all lines would be built within 2 years! Patently, ludicrous. Given the PAD protests of 2008 and subsequent change in PM not much was really achieved during the 1 year government of the PPP. The same promises though that "lines would start construction next year" but the Newin members as then PPP were pushing the Purple line.

The BJP switch & the Dems 2009-11: the Dec 2008 switch by the Newin group as the newly named BJP after the PPP was dissolved thus forming a new govt with the Dems resulted in the BJP being handed the Transport Ministry. A number of BJP members had interest in property companies that were developing new housing projects in Nonthaburi. The northern section of the Purple line was thus first approved - as opposed to the original plans to build the middle section - and contracted. This caused much tension in the new govt with Abhisit even publicly stating in March 09 that the contract process was corrupted. Unprecedented (And I'll leave out the case of the BJP appointed Perm Sec who had a room full of cash in his house)! Work on the Purple Line started later in 2009. Work on the delayed SRT Light Red Line began in March 2009.

The Blue Line contracts were tendered in 2010 with work due to start in mid 2011 however some land appropriation issues and a change of govt at the mid 2011 election resulted in work commencing Sept 2011, then the 2011 floods hit. The Dark Red LIne was approved in early 2011 but eventually delayed a construction start due to a contract dispute. The BTS ext from Bearing to Samut Prakhan was contracted in June 2011 before the election. In late 2010 the BMA contracted the WWY to Bang Wah BTS ext with a strict 2 yr deadline for completion but main works did not start until mid 2011 and the floods then delayed construction.

This was actually a period of much advancement for new metro lines after the previous years & years of delay.

PT 2011: The election of the Yingluck PT govt meant that all lines were reviewed for a period of time and management changes were made at the MRTA. Work did start on the Blue LIne (as above) before the floods hit. The BTS Bearing ext started main works in April 2012. The Dark Red LIne finally started work in May this year along with the new Bang Sue Terminal.

Currently, the Orange Line, the Pink Monorail line, the BTS Mo Chit to Lam Lukka ext and the ARL ext are all either close to or planned to be tendered within the next 6 months. Two of these, the Pink & the Orange were originally planned to be tendered this year. The BMA is also planning to tender the Grey Monorail line next year but their timetable ambitious.

The uncertain future in the event of a change of govt: More delays....?

Given the current political turmoil and the potential either for a house dissolution and/or a change of govt, my fear is that we will again see the the pre tender process being delayed with any new government. Although the MRTA has now advanced a number of lines and the process should be immune from any political changes in government and or ministers the reality is that a change in govt will delay the process given that politicians always seek to leave their own footprint and exert influence on such projects.

In such circumstances even if half of the impending tenders (the Orange Line, the Pink Monorail line, the BTS Mo Chit ext and the ARL ext) actually took place next year we would be doing very well. If the current political tensions continue for some time and start to impact upon expenditure esp in regards to the 2.2 trillion loan bill then we might see significant delays.

On the issue of mass transit, one really does need to have low expectations in the BKK context.

As most know the BTS Silom line, 2 station ext to Bang Wah (S11 & S12) opened this morning, a year late but that it not too bad for BKK and the 2011 floods are partially to blame.

Travel for these two stations will be free until 5 Jan in keeping with the BMA trend of the last 3 ext openings. Give it a try in the next few days. If you don't know that side of BKK so well it is a nice little tour and you should take a look before the whole area is inundated with new condo buildings, of which a dozen or so have been built in the last 3 years. At Bang Wa station you'll also be able to see the Blue Line ext construction.

I'll throw in the updated Urbanrail.net map as it clearly shows the current network (minus the SRT Light Red suburban line which frankly is not really operational being only a few services a day) and what is currently under construction;

http://urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

bangkok-map.png

The opening of the last 2 stations will complete the Silom Line as no further exts are planned in the future.

It would however be possible to extend the line further north from Bang Wah/ Phetkasem rd along Ratchapruek rd to say Taling Chan - indeed in about 2 decades I suspect that there will be some demand to do exactly this.

Completely ignore what I said here. The BMA has already announced in the last 72 hrs that it intends to extend the line to Taling Chan, 7km with 6 stations

The time frame would be as follows:
Design 2015
Construction 2016-2018
Open 2019
I'm not so sure that the demand and population base is there yet - the video states that there are 200k people living in the two districts that this would pass through. One would also think that they should wait a few years until the Blue, Orange and Light Red lines are all fully operational to evaluate transport patterns and pop growth. A further complication is that the BMA has stated that they want to start construction of the Grey line monorail next year - which I still think is ambitious - and thus the question of sufficient funding.arises.
However, the alternate view is that in the long term this ext makes sense and will be built eventually. Given that project time frames are always delayed and blowout, then why not make an early start? Realistically, with the normal delays the 2019 opening date would most likely run into 2021-2.

Completely ignore what I said here. The BMA has already announced in the last 72 hrs that it intends to extend the line to Taling Chan, 7km with 6 stations

The time frame would be as follows:
Design 2015
Construction 2016-2018
Open 2019
I'm not so sure that the demand and population base is there yet - the video states that there are 200k people living in the two districts that this would pass through. One would also think that they should wait a few years until the Blue, Orange and Light Red lines are all fully operational to evaluate transport patterns and pop growth. A further complication is that the BMA has stated that they want to start construction of the Grey line monorail next year - which I still think is ambitious - and thus the question of sufficient funding.arises.
However, the alternate view is that in the long term this ext makes sense and will be built eventually. Given that project time frames are always delayed and blowout, then why not make an early start? Realistically, with the normal delays the 2019 opening date would most likely run into 2021-2.

On the population front, assuming that Phasi Charoen and Taling Chan are the relevant Khet, the 2010 Census population was about 270,000...

It is also the aspired standard to have platform screen doors at all stations in the future and with most of the new lines. To my understanding the stations on the Purple Line will have them installed but i need to check that.

Yes, all elevated Purple Line stations will have 1/2 height PSDs, underground stations on the Purple and Blue line extensions will, of course, have full height PSDs.

Something to shelter behind, the stations are very high and the roof only extends just beyond the platform edge. Going to be windy and wet up there sad.png

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, all elevated Purple Line stations will have 1/2 height PSDs, underground stations on the Purple and Blue line extensions will, of course, have full height PSDs.

Something to shelter behind, the stations are very high and the roof only extends just beyond the platform edge. Going to be windy and wet up there sad.png

Good that you confirmed that. For the Blue line ext though only the 4 new underground stations would need full height as all the other new stations will be elevated so they should all be 1/2 size.

As for shelter on the Purple Line, nearly all of the stations (all but 1) are island platform stations so there will be plenty of shelter. Perhaps, not from rain coming in at 90 degrees though....wink.png

1525746_10202407814732246_280752709_n.jp

http://www.mrta-purpleline.com/reportstype/2

Currently, the Orange Line, the Pink Monorail line, the BTS Mo Chit to Lam Lukka ext and the ARL ext are all either close to or planned to be tendered within the next 6 months. Two of these, the Pink & the Orange were originally planned to be tendered this year. The BMA is also planning to tender the Grey Monorail line next year but their timetable ambitious.

The uncertain future in the event of a change of govt: More delays....?

Given the current political turmoil and the potential either for a house dissolution and/or a change of govt, my fear is that we will again see the the pre tender process being delayed with any new government. Although the MRTA has now advanced a number of lines and the process should be immune from any political changes in government and or ministers the reality is that a change in govt will delay the process given that politicians always seek to leave their own footprint and exert influence on such projects.

In such circumstances even if half of the impending tenders (the Orange Line, the Pink Monorail line, the BTS Mo Chit ext and the ARL ext) actually took place next year we would be doing very well. If the current political tensions continue for some time and start to impact upon expenditure esp in regards to the 2.2 trillion loan bill then we might see significant delays.

On the issue of mass transit, one really does need to have low expectations in the BKK context.

This was written exactly a week before the PM announced the House Dissolution. Already, tender dates for two lines have been pushed back a year mainly due to funding uncertainty.

Already, the MRTA has stated that both the Pink and Orange lines tenders will be pushed back a year due to funding uncertainty and design issues. In the case of the Orange line minor issues relating to residents protests, in the case of the Pink Line MRTA has belatedly realised that they need to resolve the awarding of the rolling stock first for this and the Yellow Line as it will dictate the line design. Some intense lobbying taking place in this respect. (In some respect a further delay on both Pink and Yellow line tenders gives me a faint unrealistic hope that both may be reviewed and changed back to heavy rail).

The MRTA is adamant that the tender for the BTS Dark Green line ext from Mo Chit to Lam Lukka will proceed as scheduled as Cabinet approved it before the dissolution. An April 2014 tender is the timeframe with construction to start in the 4th quarter of 2014.

Transport Min to carry on with BTS green line project, BANGKOK, 16 December 2013 (NNT)

Despite the dissolution of parliament, the Transport Ministry will forge ahead with its long-awaited BTS’ green line extension project connecting Mor Chit, Saphan Mai, and Khu Kot. According to Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt, the green line extension project will be up for auction despite the House dissolution, because the previous cabinet has already approved the implementation of the project.

Further info; http://www.prachachat.net/news_detail.php?newsid=1385610420

For the Airport Line extension which is meant to be a priority project it seems that as the funding was coming from the 2.2 trillion baht law which lapsed due to the dissolution of parliament , we'll have to wait until a new bill is drafted by the next govt.

For the BMA Grey line, they are now talking a more realistic timetable of a 2015 tender and a 2018 opening rather than tender 1st quarter 2014.

In summary, it currently seems for 2014:

BTS Dark Green line (MRTA project), Mo Chit to Lam Lukka ext: Tender April 2014

MRTA Pink and Orange lines : Tender late 2014 (that will be an 18 month delay for the Pink line from mid 2013 for a line which has already been delayed 2 yrs)

SRT ARL ext to DMK: unknown tender date

BMA Grey Line: now 2015

MRTA Yellow LIne: is also due for tender late 2014

I suggested a few weeks ago that if 2 lines were tendered next year in the context of the past delays and the current political uncertainty then we'd be doing well. The Dark Green Ext looks a certainty but a lot can happen on the political front in the next 2-3 months.

I'll update the summary list in mid Jan (normal 6 month update) for what it is worth.

Quick question. The below is from Surasak station. Why does it cost 22 baht to Ching Nonsi and 15 baht to Saphan Taksin? Typo?

1 stop is usually always 15 baht.

Technically you are going two stations for the BTSC. Surasak is S5 & Nongsi is S3. S4 has never been built and probably never will.

It is the same principal between Ari (N5) and Saphan Kwai (N7) with N6 having never been built.

Though I suspect most people would have paid 100 baht this morning to travel on the BTS given the suspension of the whole network!

• 2 weeks later...

The MRTA is adamant that the tender for the BTS Dark Green line ext from Mo Chit to Lam Lukka will proceed as scheduled as Cabinet approved it before the dissolution. An April 2014 tender is the timeframe with construction to start in the 4th quarter of 2014.

The tender documents for the Mo Chit ext are currently being sold so it does look as though this will still be on track for an April awarding of the tenders.

The civil works tenders will be divided into 3 contracts;

1) Mo Chit to Saphan Mai - 11.4 km & 11 stations (N9-N20),

2) Saphan Mai to Khoo Khut - 7.5 km & 4 stations (N21-N24)

3) Depot and 2 Park & Rides

The tender documents for the Mo Chit ext are currently being sold so it does look as though this will still be on track for an April awarding of the tenders.

Will the Mo Chit extension pass above the express way on Vibhavadi Rangsit road?

Will the Mo Chit extension pass above the express way on Vibhavadi Rangsit road?

Under but not along the Phahonyothin alignment as it obviously can't with the 5 overpasses blocking the way.

The previous plan was to run the viaduct along a soi directly east to Vihavadi-Rangsit rd before the overpass inclines where it pass under the Expressway and then head north on the east side of Vihavadi past St Johns uni then connecting back with Phahonyothin rd. I need to check if that is still the plan.

The main problem is that had the ext been previously built when it was first planned and integrated with the 4 new overpasses across Phahonyothin rd which were built 5-6 years ago it could have actually passed under the Vihavadi rd overpass (and Expressway above) at grade.

A similar problem exists for the blue line viaduct passing over the Pinklao/Pata intersection where there are two overpasses (Pinklao rd & Boroom rd above) over Charan Sanitwong rd. It will be built at a height of some 12 storeys.

Archived