The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

Well monorail could serve high pax if done right like in Chongqing, China. But yeah it seems incredibly short sighted of them to do with a monorail.

Another thing that bothers me is why couldn't they just name the Pattanakhan station as hua mark? These interchanging stations with different names really boggles my mind. No other city in the world does this and it is very confusing, especially to tourists and not user friendly at all.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well monorail could serve high pax if done right like in Chongqing, China. But yeah it seems incredibly short sighted of them to do with a monorail.

Another thing that bothers me is why couldn't they just name the Pattanakhan station as hua mark? These interchanging stations with different names really boggles my mind. No other city in the world does this and it is very confusing, especially to tourists and not user friendly at all.

This is indeed very difficult to understand. Srinakarin and Lad Prao are two of Bangkok's most congested roads with an abundance of very large shopping centres and other business. The buses along those routes are mostly packed with people. There's also a great potential for park-and-ride passengers from Hua Mak, if somebody understands the potential and build a large car park building there, but alas, that seems to be an alien thought for the local authorities.

Note: if anyone requires I can post exact locations and designs of any station

Lakegeneve, I thank you for the information. I also follow these threads on the other forums (SSC and 2Bangkok). Since you know all the GPS coordinates, if you are bored one day, could you update wikipedia with the coordinates? smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Note: if anyone requires I can post exact locations and designs of any station

Lakegeneve, I thank you for the information. I also follow these threads on the other forums (SSC and 2Bangkok). Since you know all the GPS coordinates, if you are bored one day, could you update wikipedia with the coordinates? smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Ummm, probably not. Exact locations does not mean that I know all of the coordinates.

I've progressively spent the last few months updating and standardising the wiki pages while trying not to step on authors toes. I'm not sure that I'd want to start inputting GPS coords....might leave that to someone else enthused by the task! thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

1) BTS ext Mo Chit to Lam Lukka (already under a delayed tender)

What is the current status of this line in particular can you elaborate? It seems not many will give a straight answer, if there is one!

Oz

I'll try to give a simplified summary of what has been a messy and dysfunctional process. An excellent case stuyd of how NOT to implement major infrastructure projects....

A little history:

When the BTS opened in Dec 1999, this extension was one of the 3 original extensions planned (Silom cross river to WWY & Petchkasem rd, Silom spur line down Narithiwat rd & Rama 3 -the current BRT). It was originally planned to be operational by 2008!

At the 2005 election, both major parties promised essentially the same metro plan (being the OTP plan). TRT promised that this extension would be constructed by late 2008. Some political games where then played as the TRT wanted to nationalise the BTSC as part of a power game with the Democrats. By the coup of Sept 2009, a tender had not even been drafted. (Indeed none of the 10 lines from the 05 election had been tendered of work started though ALL were promised to be completed by 2009/10)

Subsequent govts;

the coup govt,

the PPP govt elected in Dec 2007 (PM Samak promised in March/April 08 to build all lines in 2 years!!! See post #127, pg 6 regarding Samaks Gold Ring Line proposal),

the Dem/BJT coalition which came to power in late 2008,

and the PTP govt (elected mid 2011) all promised every year that this extension would commence work "the next year".

There was also some significant delay during 2012/early 2013 as the MRTA had sought to locate the depot on Airforce land adjacent to DMK airport but the airforce did not allow this. The MRTA also decided to consolidate two BTS north extensions (Mo Chit to Saphan Mai & the later Spahan Mai to Lam Lukka) into the one bidding process, now MO Chit to Khoo Khut.

Finally! A tender......(but even then more delays...)

The MRTA subsequently finally did finalise the tender by the end of last year just when the political protest/turmoil was intensifying, thereafter parliament was subsequently dissolved in early Dec resulting in all transport infrastructure funding bills lapsing.

The MRTA finally released the tender in Jan with a deadline for bids in mid April after . However, bidders were concerned regarding a restrictive aspect of bidder qualification, thus the tender was extended until 25 May (An unfortaunte date as it turns out). The coup of 24 May suspended the tender process. Two weeks ago the military administration confirmed that this extension would be funded & proceed this year.

The current timeline

The MRTA has indicated a new tender deadline of mid September with a view towards contracts being signed by the end of the year and work commencing early next year! We'll have to wait and see if that timeframe is followed. It is a step by step process; tender is released, successful bidders announced, contracts signed, work starts, construction delays and then finally a finish. (Remember there was a 2.5 yr delay on the Dark Red line from when contracts where signed until work finally started due to a contract dispute).

People purchased new homes and condos on Phaholyothin rd back in the early 00s on the basis that this extension would be open by 2008! Basically, it will open 10 years late due to poor planning framework and political dysfunction. Hopefully, this provides some clarity for you in the messy, confused world of BKK metro expansion.

I have to emphasis that this is a simplified summary!

The much delayed MRTA tender for this BTS extension will finally, finally, finally close on 30 September. There are currently 30 companies which have been cleared to submit a bid.

The project is divided into 4 contracts

1) Mo Chit to Saphan Mai - 11.4km and 12 stations (N9-N20)

2) Saphan Mai to Khoo Khut - 7.3km and 4 stations (N21-N24)

3) Depot and 2 Park and Ride buildings

4) Track and E&S

IF (???) all goes well, contracts are planned to be signed by the end of the year with work starting in the 1st quarter of 2015. If that happens on schedule, expect a planned opening date of mid 2019 as the tender specifies a 1350 day construction period. http://www.mrta.co.th/en/MRTAproject/greenLine.php#overview-green2

Blue Line extension - Tha Phra station

A great pic here of Blue Line extension Tha Phra station construction site. It will be built above the intersection of Phetkasem rd & Charan Sanit Wong rd (Inner Ring rd) which has a flyover.

Tha Phra station is unique as it is an interchange station for the same line - very rare in the world. Both levels serve the Blue Line, which is a fake loop line. The design also means that the Blue line can be extended further south along the Inner Ring rd in the future if required. (See the following post regarding the Grey line).

Although, an extension west further along Phetkasem rd is currently being evaluated and will the first priority for any possible future extensions of this line once this extension is complete.

gis62.jpg

Model of the station from the MRTA 20 year Anniversary exhibition

011dsc0015.jpg

01220120830131541.jpg

01320120830131610.jpg

014dsc0008.jpg

015dsc0014.jpg

summary-_0083.jpg

%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%

BlueLinecontractmap.jpg

You would have noticed in the summary list that I always list the Grey and Black (Teal/Azure in some places) lines at the bottom of the list. These two lines are the most recent having only been proposed 2-3 years ago. (Though that Ngam Wong Wan - Kaset Namawin line mentioned above may rise again as the Brown line - more on that later).

All other lines have been in proposal for at least a decade with many having undergone modifications and changes due to various combinations of govts, dysfunction and delays. The Grey and Black lines are not part of the current govts priorities, nor were they the previous govts. In fact the current govt made it quite clear that if these 2 lines were to be constructed it would be into the next decade. That seemed reasonable.

Grey Line

However, the BMA has decided that the Grey Line (26km, 21 stations) is a priority and is now pursuing it 100% (if that means anything in a mass transit context). The BMA stated late last week that an EIA will be completed for the line by the end of the year with a view to issuing a tender early next year. The BMA wants this to be, yet another, monorail line (sigh!) and believes that the line can be constructed in a 3 year time frame. That would make 3 potential monorail lines (Pink 100%, Yellow still to be decided and Grey) in BKK. A problem for the future.

I doubt that the timeframe that the BMA has stated is achievable as this line still needs much development. However, it is interesting that the BMA is reportedly so keen to pursue it. It seems the Gov wants a major transport legacy before his term expires. It may also help the Dems votes it what becomes PT strongholds to the east of the line. The cost is said to be 32 billion baht but that it not a detailed costing at this stage. Realistically, this should be funded by the central govt via the MRTA. It should also be a heavy rail line and mostly underground.

I'd suggest that it would be unlikely that this line would be built before 2018/19 even with it being a priority of the BMA but let's wait and see if much progresses in the next 6 months.

Route:

The line basically follows the N-S alignment of Pradit Monutham rd (Chalong Rat Expressway) from Ram Inthra down to Rama 9 then Thonglor (connect with BTS) along Suk soi 38 to Rama 4, along Rama 4 to Ratchapisek rd (connects with MRT) then Ratchadapisek all the way to Rama 9 bridge. It would have 6 interchanges with other lines.

3301.jpg

The list of proposed stations is;

1. Watcharaphon - Pink Line

2. Nuanchan

3. Kaset - nawamin

4. Yothin Phatthana

5. Lad Phrao 87 - Yellow Line

6. Chalongrat

7. Wang Thonglang

8. Nawasri/Ramkhamhaeng 21 - Orange Line (??)

9. Rama 9 Road

10. Thonglor 25

11. Thonglor 10

12. Thonglor - BTS

13. Sukhumvit 38

14. Klong Tan

15. Rama 4 road

16. Ratchada/Rama 4 - MRT

17. Klong Toei

18. Rama 3 road

19. Narathiwat - BRT

20. Sathupradit

21. Rama 9 Bridge

BMA Grey line update - an extension?

In May OTP contracted consultants to undertake a scoping study of the line after the BMA provisionally completed the basic EIA. This study is expected to be completed by the end of 2014. There is currently a big design dilemma regarding where the Grey line crosses the BTS Sukhumvit line at Thonglor as it will need to go above the BTS line at a height of nearly 20m. An underground line in this area would be a preferable.

As I stated last year in the above, it was very unlikely that the BMA would have a tender ready by early this year as the BMA Gov had stated. One needs to be most skeptical regarding officials, especially politicians, public statements in respect of time frames. On Sunday, Car Free Day, the BMA stated that the Grey line construction would be accelerated, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762339-bangkok-sets-target-to-reduce-private-car-use-by-30-percent-in-15-years/, which really means as much as the statement from last year, ie. nothing.

The BMA is currently considering extending the Grey line along Rama 3 and over Rama 3 bridge along the Inner Ring rd to BTS Talat Phlu station (S10) and further to Tha Phra MRT Blue Line. Essentially replacing the BRT line along this section. In the long term this would be a good idea for future connectivity, perhaps as a Phase 2 project.

However, the proposal again highlights one of my main criticisms of building long monorail lines. It excludes future interconnections between lines as the network expands. In this case, if the Grey line was a heavy rail metro it could actually directly connect with the Blue Line at Tha Phra (see above post). A future operator could then essentially merge the lines if required and continue Blue Line services along the Grey Line. (There are advantages and disadvantages for both merging and keeping the lines separate). The main point is that is provides future options if lines and rolling stock are compatible.

3301.jpg

For those decrying monorails it's worth remembering that Tokyo monorail (a real transit system not like the toytown one in KL) has just celebrated 50 years in operation without a single accident causing death or injury.

It's carried 1.83 billion passengers

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/09/17/national/monorail-serving-tokyos-haneda-airport-marks-50th-anniversary/#.VCEiUBYZlq9

What is the argument for building monorails? Price?

The basis of changing the Pink Line from a heavy rail to a monorail line back in 2011 was price. However, the current cost of the line - albeit with 6 new stations - is actually higher than the estimated cost back then. At the time the 34.5km Pink line would have been the worlds longest monorail line. However, Chongqings Line 3 has that honour at just under 40km, http://urbanrail.net/as/cn/chon/chongqing.htm. It is unique has it is essentially a heavy rail, monorail line. It is very rare to have monorail lines that are longer than 10 or even 15kms, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monorail_systems

Similarly, the Yellow Line was changed last year from an half underground 7 elevated heavy rail to a fully elevated light rail (monorail) on the same basis. One of the other stated reasons is that monorails are more suitable for elevated lines following main roads where there are tighter turning curves. There are still many residents along the Yellow Line protesting the change. Another reason is that monorail has less of a footprint, ie. structures and stations are smaller.

In reality, what has been taking place over a few years is that decision makers have been intensely lobbied by a couple of monorail firms (especially one south of the border) which has progressively resulted in lines being changed from heavy rail to monorail. Aside from these two lines 3 other monorail lines are planned, Brown, Grey & Light Blue line. Somehow, we went from an all heavy rail network plan to what will be end up being 60% heavy rail and 40% monorail.

My main concern is that monorails will not provide the capacity that BKK needs in the future. It is light rail compared to heavy rail and thus has a greater limitation. I can almost guarantee that both the Pink and Yellow lines will have capacity problems in the first year of operations given the key transport corridors of the lines. The crush that took many years to eventuate on the BTS and MRT will most likely be there from day one. It should be noted that the MRT is stating that a 3-4 car train with high frequency on the Pink Line will be able to move 30k pax an hour which is a heavy rail class of pax/hr.

The other concerns relate to increased maintenance and reliability issues compared with heavy rail. Much will depend on the supplier and system chosen. In a network where you already have 3 different systems BTS, MRT & SRT (commuter lines) and many potential operators, why increase the mix of network variables and reduce potential inter-connectivity in the future? Better to have standardisation of the lines in respect of line gauge, rolling stock and systems (E&S). It is the same criticism that I've expressed about the SRT narrow gauge commuter lines.

Crossy is correct. The Tokyo monorail is great, I've previously used it. Chongqing also shows that heavy monorail in a difficult terrain can be done. However, Bangkok is taking a risk in building a monorail network with many long lines in a very large, densely populated city. Pax demands will only increase in the future. Having regard to all of the dysfunction and lack of integration which underpins building BKKs network, this is not really the city to be a test case for a bunch of long monorail lines.

We'll just have to wait and see if my concerns are valid or not.

I'm sure you are right in your worries, Lakegeneve. The lack of integration is very clear already with the lines that are currently operative, and the recent fiasco with the railway link doesn't increase faith.

I have also noticed a total lack of understanding for efficient park-and-ride solutions. The stations of the Airport Link along the motorway (outside of Hua Mak) would be ideal locations for commuters and visitors to leave their cars to take the train downtown. These stations are already packed with cars, so a car park building would probably have been a great business proposition, but alas... no such luck. Another variety is the parking next to Bearing Station, in typical Thai style with parking under roof for those with subscription and try-your-luck for others, accesible only if you come from Sam Rong and not if you come from Bang-Na-Trat, unless you know your way around the area.

Next batch of tenders:

The MRTA board mtg last week stated that the Pink, Yellow and Orange lines will all be tendered by the end of 2014. However, that would be a HUGE surprise if that all happens. Even as of today, a thai newspaper reported a MRTA source as stating these 3 lines would be tendered in early 2015.

Realistically, we will be doing well if one line is tendered by late 2014. Two would be a bonus!

The SRT also recently stated that they are nearly ready to tender the ARL extension. However, they really should get the tender for the new rolling stock done first and most urgently advance the timeframe for new spare parts for the major overhaul of the current rolling stock.

Khun Codeman B from Skyscrapercity forum has completed a very good map. It has a few minor errors (eg. The SRT Light Red Line is NOT 100% and the other red line exts are NOT ready for bidding, also the tender deadline for the BTS Light Green line Mo Chit ext is 30 Sept). It is a great easy to read map of what is being built and what will come next.

ka1jyf.jpg

I love all those new lines but seriously I get real annoyed the way they are handling it near my home. They have created a real botle neck and instead of them fixing that first or looking at parts that could really help easy congestion (by returning the lanes they occupy) They go about it so slowly and seem to fix other less important places first. Lines and lines of trucks every day .. its a major go by router here in Bangyai. I can only think of the economic and environmental damage this does.

I hope they will do something about the problems here soon its getting worse and worse.. some parts they only seem to use for storage nothing more.

I love all those new lines but seriously I get real annoyed the way they are handling it near my home. They have created a real botle neck and instead of them fixing that first or looking at parts that could really help easy congestion (by returning the lanes they occupy) They go about it so slowly and seem to fix other less important places first. Lines and lines of trucks every day .. its a major go by router here in Bangyai. I can only think of the economic and environmental damage this does.

I hope they will do something about the problems here soon its getting worse and worse.. some parts they only seem to use for storage nothing more.

I think that this is the 3rd time that you have expressed the same frustrations on this thread? Have you actually gone and complained to the contractor or at Nonthaburi City Hall?

It is a fairly consistent modus operandi no matter what is being built (new road, new metro, new overpasses), think back to when the Chaeng Wattana overpasses were built over 3 years 10 years ago!

However, whatever pain and suffering that you are now experiencing will be very small compared to not having a metro along that route in years & decades to come. You are lucky in that respect that you will have a metro option well before other more congested corridors.

I think that this is the 3rd time that you have expressed the same frustrations on this thread? Have you actually gone and complained to the contractor or at Nonthaburi City Hall?

It is a fairly consistent modus operandi no matter what is being built (new road, new metro, new overpasses), think back to when the Chaeng Wattana overpasses were built over 3 years 10 years ago!

However, whatever pain and suffering that you are now experiencing will be very small compared to not having a metro along that route in years & decades to come. You are lucky in that respect that you will have a metro option well before other more congested corridors.

We have complained.. nothing happened.

Its just frustrating to see how it is mismanaged the bottle neck that is most important is just cleared last. Everyone knows that past Bangyai goes the all the road traffic (trucks) to the south and it is there where they mess up.

I am not blind to the progress though I doubt this will solve much as people want to get into BKK and for that its a far to long run. Cars will even in traffic still go faster. (personal opinion based on living here and driving a car or motorbike). I think this line will be a failure and think it won't help much at all. Too many stations.. not a top speed that is high enough. If it was just about commuting on the line itself it would be good but most commuters go into BKK.

Sorry that I am not as positive as you guys about stuff like this, i think all the stuff around BKK are outskirts and everyone wants to go into BKK so it should be focused on that. This line does not really help as its too long with too many stations.

However they are building a huge central at Bangyai and it will help a bit of people from the area want to visit it, but for commuting to bangkok i don't see how it can help.

Did you know that where I am from the Netherlands.. now there is far less traffic as before.. you know how.. building more roads.. not more buses but more roads. They all said it would not help but it did massively more roads and more tunnels.

Its just frustrating to see how it is mismanaged the bottle neck that is most important is just cleared last. Everyone knows that past Bangyai goes the all the road traffic (trucks) to the south and it is there where they mess up.

I am not blind to the progress though I doubt this will solve much as people want to get into BKK and for that its a far to long run. Cars will even in traffic still go faster. (personal opinion based on living here and driving a car or motorbike). I think this line will be a failure and think it won't help much at all. Too many stations.. not a top speed that is high enough. If it was just about commuting on the line itself it would be good but most commuters go into BKK.

Sorry that I am not as positive as you guys about stuff like this, i think all the stuff around BKK are outskirts and everyone wants to go into BKK so it should be focused on that. This line does not really help as its too long with too many stations.

However they are building a huge central at Bangyai and it will help a bit of people from the area want to visit it, but for commuting to bangkok i don't see how it can help.

Did you know that where I am from the Netherlands.. now there is far less traffic as before.. you know how.. building more roads.. not more buses but more roads. They all said it would not help but it did massively more roads and more tunnels.

I understand your point, but I think you can't compare thailand to the netherlands. First, Netherlands has a good public transportation infrastructure for decades now. Second, the population in Bangkok nearly equals the all country, which means that Bangkok needs more public transportation to satisfy demand. Third, have you tried to ride a bicycle in BKK as a commuter? Right! You can't unless you want to get killed! In the Netherlands, many people use it as a transportation method. In other words, low price transportation can only exist in thailand if there is more public transportation, as opposed to NE where people can travel cheaply by themselves. Finally, and most importantly, you can't compare a third world country and a developed nation, as the financial gap is too important. Having said that, I agree that Thailand needs to have a better infrastructure plans with more streets that would create more intersections to make traffic more fluid.

I have been watching the building of the new bts every day but so many things go wrong all the time.

To make that concrete wall under along the road that also takes many many months. They even plaster it by hand, sandpaper it by hand, plaster it again....

The roadsurface has been replaced many times. Installing the lights takes months.

while driving under the construction of stations i have been sprayed with water, with melting drops of iron from welding, with sparks from grinding, with loads of dust from concrete cutting, have been avoiding driven over pilons every day. It is a big mess but one day we can use that skytrain.

Around Central West-end Bang Yai i see traffic jam for the next 100 years. That mall is getting so huge, Ikea is coming there and soon it will be a new city centre for BKK. You can't drive in that area without seeing concretetrucks. This mall will be the biggest one of the area so sure it will get busy there.

Now i avoid Bang yai, too much traffic jam but thats caused by the taxidrivers and bahtbuses/city buses. If the police is there to arrange traffic (they really do that sometimes) then there is not much traffic jam at all.

I'm interested as to why you think it will be a failure.

There is enough pax and residents along the corridor to ensure sufficient demand, current peak hr congestion of the Expressway and Rattanatibet rd will make this line an attractive option. Currently a lot of people in Nonthaburi already bus to Bang Sue station to catch the MRT so this will reduce that travel time and that is the link into central bkk.You also make the point about the new Central at Bang Yai which will have a station adjacent - as all Centrals with stations many people will use the line to go there.

These are the ridership forecasts from the study done 5 years ago, http://www.mrta-purpleline.com/pageview/19. Basically, it is expected to get around 200k pax a day from when it opens in 2016. That seems very achievable given the pop growth in the area, transport demands & pax growth of other metros.

Remember that this is only the first phase (delayed by 2 years) of the Purple Line, eventually it will provide access to the govt offices around Dusit district, Sanam Luang, Chinatown and WWY. It will link with the Pink line, Brown line, Blue line, SRT light red, Orange Line, Blue line again, SRT Dark Red line & BTS Silom line (perhaps also in far future an extended Yellow line).

1) BTS ext Mo Chit to Lam Lukka (already under a delayed tender)

What is the current status of this line in particular can you elaborate? It seems not many will give a straight answer, if there is one!

Oz

I'll try to give a simplified summary of what has been a messy and dysfunctional process. An excellent case stuyd of how NOT to implement major infrastructure projects....

A little history:

When the BTS opened in Dec 1999, this extension was one of the 3 original extensions planned (Silom cross river to WWY & Petchkasem rd, Silom spur line down Narithiwat rd & Rama 3 -the current BRT). It was originally planned to be operational by 2008!

At the 2005 election, both major parties promised essentially the same metro plan (being the OTP plan). TRT promised that this extension would be constructed by late 2008. Some political games where then played as the TRT wanted to nationalise the BTSC as part of a power game with the Democrats. By the coup of Sept 2009, a tender had not even been drafted. (Indeed none of the 10 lines from the 05 election had been tendered of work started though ALL were promised to be completed by 2009/10)

Subsequent govts;

the coup govt,

the PPP govt elected in Dec 2007 (PM Samak promised in March/April 08 to build all lines in 2 years!!! See post #127, pg 6 regarding Samaks Gold Ring Line proposal),

the Dem/BJT coalition which came to power in late 2008,

and the PTP govt (elected mid 2011) all promised every year that this extension would commence work "the next year".

There was also some significant delay during 2012/early 2013 as the MRTA had sought to locate the depot on Airforce land adjacent to DMK airport but the airforce did not allow this. The MRTA also decided to consolidate two BTS north extensions (Mo Chit to Saphan Mai & the later Spahan Mai to Lam Lukka) into the one bidding process, now MO Chit to Khoo Khut.

Finally! A tender......(but even then more delays...)

The MRTA subsequently finally did finalise the tender by the end of last year just when the political protest/turmoil was intensifying, thereafter parliament was subsequently dissolved in early Dec resulting in all transport infrastructure funding bills lapsing.

The MRTA finally released the tender in Jan with a deadline for bids in mid April after . However, bidders were concerned regarding a restrictive aspect of bidder qualification, thus the tender was extended until 25 May (An unfortaunte date as it turns out). The coup of 24 May suspended the tender process. Two weeks ago the military administration confirmed that this extension would be funded & proceed this year.

The current timeline

The MRTA has indicated a new tender deadline of mid September with a view towards contracts being signed by the end of the year and work commencing early next year! We'll have to wait and see if that timeframe is followed. It is a step by step process; tender is released, successful bidders announced, contracts signed, work starts, construction delays and then finally a finish. (Remember there was a 2.5 yr delay on the Dark Red line from when contracts where signed until work finally started due to a contract dispute).

People purchased new homes and condos on Phaholyothin rd back in the early 00s on the basis that this extension would be open by 2008! Basically, it will open 10 years late due to poor planning framework and political dysfunction. Hopefully, this provides some clarity for you in the messy, confused world of BKK metro expansion.

I have to emphasis that this is a simplified summary!

The much delayed MRTA tender for this BTS extension will finally, finally, finally close on 30 September. There are currently 30 companies which have been cleared to submit a bid.

The project is divided into 4 contracts

1) Mo Chit to Saphan Mai - 11.4km and 12 stations (N9-N20)

2) Saphan Mai to Khoo Khut - 7.3km and 4 stations (N21-N24)

3) Depot and 2 Park and Ride buildings

4) Track and E&S

IF (???) all goes well, contracts are planned to be signed by the end of the year with work starting in the 1st quarter of 2015. If that happens on schedule, expect a planned opening date of mid 2019 as the tender specifies a 1350 day construction period. http://www.mrta.co.th/en/MRTAproject/greenLine.php#overview-green2

5 bidders have qualified for the BTS Mo Chit extension tender and it will take the MRTA a month or so to assess each bid. Winners to be announced in December.

1- Ch Karn Chang

2- STECON PCL

3- ITD

4- Unique Enginering

5- STECON - AS Assoc JV

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1412581507

I'm interested as to why you think it will be a failure.

There is enough pax and residents along the corridor to ensure sufficient demand, current peak hr congestion of the Expressway and Rattanatibet rd will make this line an attractive option. Currently a lot of people in Nonthaburi already bus to Bang Sue station to catch the MRT so this will reduce that travel time and that is the link into central bkk.You also make the point about the new Central at Bang Yai which will have a station adjacent - as all Centrals with stations many people will use the line to go there.

These are the ridership forecasts from the study done 5 years ago, http://www.mrta-purpleline.com/pageview/19. Basically, it is expected to get around 200k pax a day from when it opens in 2016. That seems very achievable given the pop growth in the area, transport demands & pax growth of other metros.

Remember that this is only the first phase (delayed by 2 years) of the Purple Line, eventually it will provide access to the govt offices around Dusit district, Sanam Luang, Chinatown and WWY. It will link with the Pink line, Brown line, Blue line, SRT light red, Orange Line, Blue line again, SRT Dark Red line & BTS Silom line (perhaps also in far future an extended Yellow line).

There certainly are enough pax but its not a continuous connection. Again with stopovers and stuff, i think many would rather be in a van that brings them straight through. It might be still viable against it because its quite a long ride a van could go faster.

I just think as a resident not someone trying to sell something. If i can choose a van in 1 time ore multiple stopovers and switches to my goal id go on the thing that goes there at once even if slower.

I base this on my experience in commuting in the Netherlands for 5 years trains buses trams to my work, I just think Thais are not that different. Its basically a dead end it does not really go into the center (though I am not experienced with going from bang sue to center of town. So that might be viable. I am living now real close to the start of the new bts.

Part of my negativity is also because of the way they handle traffic now and how its mishandled and the people around suffer. Though in reality it will only make our house more valuable and desirable.

^ Yes housing prices near the Purple Line jumped by around 1m baht in the last couple of years and prices along the BKK to Nonthaburi rd have exploded by up to 200+% in the last 3 years. Anyone around Khae Rai junction will be very well position with Purple, Pink and Brown lines all there.

I agree that for some the van option will still be more desirable but then most vans still terminate at Victory, or other locations, and thus require further transfer to a bus or BTS to reach ones final destination. The Purple Line to Taopoon connection to the subway will not be as difficult as you might think , only from an upper level platform to a lower platform level. The total trip time from mid way of the Purple Line to say Asoke will be around 35-40 mins. I suspect many people will prefer that certainty during peak hour than being stuck in traffic.

Mass transit will never be perfect for everyone, for every journey, it is not meant to be and nor should be expect that.

• 1 month later...

As someone who lived in Bkk for 3+ years, and now lives in Metro Manila (the Philippines), I can say that the Bangkok BTS system is a marvel compared to what they have here in MetroManila.

The BTS is clean, convenient, not crowded out of the rush hours, fast and efficient.

So to anybody complaining about any faults in the system, please remember:

Nothing is perfect, and everything is relative. And relatively speaking, the BTS is a great mass transport system.

As someone who lived in Bkk for 3+ years, and now lives in Metro Manila (the Philippines), I can say that the Bangkok BTS system is a marvel compared to what they have here in MetroManila.

The BTS is clean, convenient, not crowded out of the rush hours, fast and efficient.

So to anybody complaining about any faults in the system, please remember:

Nothing is perfect, and everything is relative. And relatively speaking, the BTS is a great mass transport system.

Compared to the train system in Manila, anything built after the First World War would look like a marvel cheesy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I came across some photos in a different Thailand webforum and thought I would repost them here as I thought they were very interesting.

This is the MRT blue line extension they are working on that runs underneath the Chao Phraya river. A tunnel was bored from the west side of the river to the east side.

1417982802-1417678469-o.jpg

1417982400-1417678361-o.jpg

1417982834-1417678454-o.jpg

10858570_398674156966431_268511480728746

• 2 weeks later...

What is all the construction on the east side on the Changwattana Expressway in the Chatujak area about?

Surely it must be part of the mass transport system.

Sorry, I dont live in Bangkok. But, the east side of the expressway? Are you talking about the Bang Sue Central project? The one that will have Mor Chit demolished? You can do a search for more info, ThaiVisa doesn't allow links to other web forums.

bsgp.jpg

What is all the construction on the east side on the Changwattana Expressway in the Chatujak area about?

Surely it must be part of the mass transport system.

Yes it is the new Bang Sue Intercity Terminal, new depot for the Red Lines, new Intercity depot and HSR depot I've posted the above map and renders earlier in this thread.

Expect completion in 2018.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived