Importing A Motorbike To Thailand

Livinginexile

Hi Trendsetters,

Im working in Qatar at the moment and I have the oportunity to buy a near new BMW S1000RR at a very cheep price!

I would like to send it back to Thailand but the import tax would not make it viable.

I'm thinking maybe I could strip it down!

Most of the smaller parts I could bring back in suitcases as I travel back and forth very often.

Only the engine & frame would need to be shipped.

Has anyone out there done the same thing? does anyone know what the tax would be on importing a "secondhand" engine and frame?

Edited by Livinginexile

You can import it as spares no problem but then you will have big problems registering it legitimately as you would not have the neccessary import/customs papers.

A guy I know imported a Mercedes this way and got into enough trouble that he considered it a good idea to leave the country for a while.

a mate had a bike built in thailand, then stripped down and him and his friends took it to vietnam (he lives there) in pieces, he carried the frame through on his shoulder, had to pay a few dollars to the customs guy as a backhander. I know this doesn't really help with thai customs but just let you know its possible to get it through the airline scanners etc. The engine though was shipped separately via a friend, it was put with some other stuff and managed to wangle its way through customs.

You can import it as spares no problem but then you will have big problems registering it legitimately as you would not have the neccessary import/customs papers.

A guy I know imported a Mercedes this way and got into enough trouble that he considered it a good idea to leave the country for a while.

Yes, good point!

With no purchase papers how can one register the bike!

Can a backhander settle this at the motor department?

My 2c Contact BMW Thailand tell them you have a BMW in Qatar which you like very much (give serial number)but have been transfered to Thailand and can they import it for you and get it registered. If it is cheaper then do it. have you discovered how much to get it out of Qatar?

OR contact Red baron and ask same question.

Edited by VocalNeal

Yes, good point!

I found a lovely 1300 Superfour for 200k in Kanchanaburi. It only had invoice papers.

My wifes friend at the local Dept of Land & Transport said that it would be impossible to register locally.

Another friend told me that for 100k it would be possible to get a proper green book in Bangkok. I know for a fact he has done this for several big bikes but his did come with all the proper import documents.

Yes, good point!

I found a lovely 1300 Superfour for 200k in Kanchanaburi. It only had invoice papers.

My wifes friend at the local Dept of Land & Transport said that it would be impossible to register locally.

Another friend told me that for 100k it would be possible to get a proper green book in Bangkok. I know for a fact he has done this for several big bikes but his did come with all the proper import documents.

Everthing can be done if you are willing to pay the right money, my local dirt bike shop has been importing bikes in parts for years and has offered to do the same for a bike i am chasing at the moment, 100% legit as far as anything can be in LOS ;)

Yes, good point!

Everthing can be done if you are willing to pay the right money, my local dirt bike shop has been importing bikes in parts for years and has offered to do the same for a bike i am chasing at the moment, 100% legit as far as anything can be in LOS ;)

I'd agree with you that, as with most things in Thailand, you can get the registration at a price.

What the OP needs to know is if he can find 'trustworthy' people to arrange the registration and whether the 100k bht needed for a big bike import is still less than going legit and buying a bike in Thailand.

Yes, good point!

No chance to make this bike pass todays Euro, Calif or LOS emision tests. So no chance to make it legally. Possible to pay to pass, and you might get away with it for years.

Yes, good point!

Just not true.. If the original imported screwed up, or theres missing paperwork, it can be impossible to do it legally.

Yes, good point!

No chance to make this bike pass todays Euro, Calif or LOS emision tests. So no chance to make it legally. Possible to pay to pass, and you might get away with it for years.

The only valid or applicable tests are the LoS. The others have no bearing. As the bike is being assembled here there is no necessity to for emission tests unless one tries to

then legitimise the bike 100%.

This bike importation methid has been done by many people for many years. It is possible. That was the answer to the original post question.

Read the formula for the duty payable on importation and you will see it is financially worth it using the OP's import strategy and you could then bring in the motor / frame seperately but legitimately if that appealed..

I have a friend here with an old Sunbeam. He could never get it registered so only rides it near his house. I sold my last bike in the UK before I lived here as importing it would have been too costly.

Even bringing it in as spares may be a problem as they may impose tax when you go through customs. Personally I would suggest forget the idea.

Edited by BWPattaya

The only valid or applicable tests are the LoS. The others have no bearing. As the bike is being assembled here there is no necessity to for emission tests unless one tries to

This bike importation methid has been done by many people for many years. It is possible. That was the answer to the original post question.

Read the formula for the duty payable on importation and you will see it is financially worth it using the OP's import strategy and you could then bring in the motor / frame seperately but legitimately if that appealed..

But what you are forgetting (or dont know) is that the bike needs the emission pass BEFORE can be registered. Untill you hav ethat bit of paper it is not possiblke to register the bike.

The bike age is based on when FIRST registered in Thailand. IE a bike first registered in 2010 must meet/pass current 2010 regulations even if it is a 1980s manufactured bike.. If you turn up with a pass certificate for an older bike it is obvious that it is fake...unless you can prove there have been modifications done to pass the test legitely. From what I can understand ..that is impossible to achieve.

Why you think Honda phased out the CBR150 and Phantom.....because they couldnt meet the current regulations. If Honda cannot achieve that I doubt any individual can.

We all know about the outrageous levels of import tax . I recently heard this :

Thailand and Singapoure are both members of ASEAN. If one would get a bike into Singapoure (which supposedly is easier and less costly-I do not know this for a fact), register it there and than one could import the bike to Thailand (from an ASEAN member state )a only 7 % import duty.

Has anyone ever heard about this or even done it?

I fail to see why you would spend alot of money buying and importing a bike if you could not then be 100% legit. Or am I missing something?

We all know about the outrageous levels of import tax . I recently heard this :

Thailand and Singapoure are both members of ASEAN. If one would get a bike into Singapoure (which supposedly is easier and less costly-I do not know this for a fact), register it there and than one could import the bike to Thailand (from an ASEAN member state )a only 7 % import duty.

Has anyone ever heard about this or even done it?

Must be MADE in ASEAN to avoid 80% importduty. Excice tax approx 30% in addition pluss 7% VAT

But what you are forgetting (or dont know) is that the bike needs the emission pass BEFORE can be registered. Untill you hav ethat bit of paper it is not possiblke to register the bike.

The bike age is based on when FIRST registered in Thailand. IE a bike first registered in 2010 must meet/pass current 2010 regulations even if it is a 1980s manufactured bike.. If you turn up with a pass certificate for an older bike it is obvious that it is fake...unless you can prove there have been modifications done to pass the test legitely. From what I can understand ..that is impossible to achieve.

Why you think Honda phased out the CBR150 and Phantom.....because they couldnt meet the current regulations. If Honda cannot achieve that I doubt any individual can.

unfortunately so true.

bringing in parts to build a bike is low duty and simple. Getting a spec to pass thai tests is for this bike close to impossible. So no legal plate/book. then whats the point of having a cheap bike you can not use? Fines for riding bike on public roads without plate/book was increased to 10.000 baht few months ago. In addition they take the bike

I fail to see why you would spend alot of money buying and importing a bike if you could not then be 100% legit. Or am I missing something?

Calif , Euro IV and LOS emission tests all have bearing, cause if the bike has passed Euro IV or Calif it will pass LOS test. sourcing a bike able to pass any of them saves 50-150 k baht on mods and testing