Do I Really Need A New One?

I live in Pattaya and am getting pretty fed up with having to buy a new something-or-other because I can't find anyone to repair or recondition what I already have. For everything, including washing machines, televisions, video or VCD players, sound systems, sports equipment and the list goes on, Thailand seems to be adopting the West's "disposable" culture. Or, am I not looking in the right places?

Advice? Who knows where & for what???

Edited by Crossy
Size returned to default for readability

I bought a treadmill machine recently from a little shop in town & they later proved useless when I needed an adjustment on it. Searched high & low - even on the net - and couldn't find anyone to help out. I have two portable audio tape players just sitting around & can't find anyone to repair them. An elderly but hardly used T.V. that needed the infra-eye replaced so the remote would work. Things like these. Things that are in good shape but just need a part or some TLC. No luck with my locals.

I've tried Numchai for repairs, but no joy. I think the item has to be covered by their warranty or at least bought from them. Haven't tried Amorn.

I think, Thai Forum permitting, it would be cool to get a list going here.

Thailand seems to be adopting the West's "disposable" culture. Or' date=' am I not looking in the right places?

[/quote']

Do not blame the country. The people may have the skill to service those equipment, but spare parts are lacking as those models may have been obsolete for over 5 years. If you are lucky, some spares may be obtainable from salvaged junked units.

Thus the 'disposable' culture where it cost more to repair than to replace.

We're all aware that manufacturers produce things destined to become obsolete and disposable. The computer and other IT gear business is a glaring example. A bunch of us were talking the other day about the car industry & the impossibility nowadays of home car repair. Many of us could remember weekends spent under the bonnet or chassis. The day of the small, low-tech mech shop are over as well. I mentioned a time (long ago) in Honduras when a guy actually wove me a new fan belt out of hemp which lasted until I reached the next town! Manufacturing goals today are obscene & the conversation ended with us all wondering how we let this happen to us.

The one place I can think of in our town that makes an effort is Tuk Com. Horse around there for a day with your "obsolete" computer, I-pod or phone & chances are good some clever pro-consumer-guerilla has figured out a way to extend its life. I reckon there are other little businesses & clever hands out there catering to people who either can't afford or don't want the latest model. But my guess is that there aren't many anymore and they don't advertise - dammit.

Thus, this Topic (intended to be practical rather than philosophical or political). It's about finding these guys.

Edited by ripley

Ripley, You are obviously not looking in the right places. For every item you have mentioned, there are numerous small shops doing such repairs. I recently had my petrol engined strimmer (Weedwacker, I believe, to the Colonials) repaired for 360 Bht, an LCD television repaired for under 2,000 Bht and a water pump for 260 Bht. It is obviosly no good looking for such shops in high rental areas, just have a ride around some of the smaller Soi's, and you might be surprised at the number of repair shops.

We're all aware that manufacturers produce things destined to become obsolete and disposable. The computer and other IT gear business is a glaring example. A bunch of us were talking the other day about the car industry & the impossibility nowadays of home car repair. Many of us could remember weekends spent under the bonnet or chassis. The day of the small, low-tech mech shop are over as well. I mentioned a time (long ago) in Honduras when a guy actually wove me a new fan belt out of hemp which lasted until I reached the next town! Manufacturing goals today are obscene & the conversation ended with us all wondering how we let this happen to us.

The one place I can think of in our town that makes an effort is Tuk Com. Horse around there for a day with your "obsolete" computer, I-pod or phone & chances are good some clever pro-consumer-guerilla has figured out a way to extend its life. I reckon there are other little businesses & clever hands out there catering to people who either can't afford or don't want the latest model. But my guess is that there aren't many anymore and they don't advertise - dammit.

Thus, this Topic (intended to be practical rather than philosophical or political). It's about finding these guys.

Ripley, your posts would be much easier to read if you didn't use a large font and if you included a blank space between paragraphs. I've tried reading some of your posts and found them quite difficult to read. Your content seems well thought out, but the presentation is what's lacking

Compare what you posted with:

wpcoe: "Ripley, your posts would be much easier to read if you didn't use a large font and if you included a blank space between paragraphs."

Althought it seems a lot of effort on your part to point this out,, Thanks for the advice (tho I can't see it myself).. I'm severely visually impaired & everyone's posts seem extremely tiny to me. I'm writing now in your size & it's hit and miss. Usually I write large & edit it down.to smaller size.I guess not small enough. Thus far, I've only bothered to scale down the size at all to avoid the impression of blaring out my posts, as well as an attempt to observe proper "netiquette" Same thing with spacing - didn't want to seem too lengthy even when I'm being lengthy! Guess #2 is more acceptable & will stick to that.

Wait in eager anticipation for requested spacing of paragraphs. I don't mind.

A.Boozer: " Ripley, You are obviously not looking in the right places. For every item you have mentioned, there are numerous small shops doing such repairs."

That's good news! So, how 'bout naming a few?

Edited by ripley

I live out of pattaya, and most things can be repaired here, washing machines, fans, tv's just a short ride away. I think Thailand is far from a throw it away country, and i think that have the attitude that nothing should be thrown away, and everything can be repaired, even if sometimes a bit heath robinson.(primitive)

Ripley, your posts would be much easier to read if you didn't use a large font and if you included a blank space between paragraphs. I've tried reading some of your posts and found them quite difficult to read. Your content seems well thought out, but the presentation is what's lacking

Compare what you posted with:

Some peoples eyeseight isnt so good, I like the larger text.

wpcoe: "Ripley, your posts would be much easier to read if you didn't use a large font and if you included a blank space between paragraphs."

Althought it seems a lot of effort on your part to point this out,, Thanks for the advice (tho I can't see it myself).. I'm severely visually impaired & everyone's posts seem extremely tiny to me. I'm writing now in your size & it's hit and miss. Usually I write large & edit it down.to smaller size.I guess not small enough. Thus far, I've only bothered to scale down the size at all to avoid the impression of blaring out my posts, as well as an attempt to observe proper "netiquette" Same thing with spacing - didn't want to seem too lengthy even when I'm being lengthy! Guess #2 is more acceptable & will stick to that.

Wait in eager anticipation for requested spacing of paragraphs. I don't mind.

A.Boozer: " Ripley, You are obviously not looking in the right places. For every item you have mentioned, there are numerous small shops doing such repairs."

That's good news! So, how 'bout naming a few?

Ive asked before and oh yes plenty of folk will tell you it can be done but rarely supply a name or number.

I live over on the darkside and there are a few little shops I know of over here, repairing stuff electronics, white goods etc.

I too cannot supply names and numbers.

Directions are also difficult as they are in small side sois in out of the way places.

Many sell second hand equipment so if you see a small shophouse with a few old TV's outside chances are they repair TV's.

Same with white goods etc.

The only one I could give you directions too is on Sukhumvit soi 15 opposite the Cholchan Hotel go over the railway tracks and past 7/11 on your right keep going maybe half a km on your right hand side.

Good Luck.

Problem is shops are not always what they appear..

Where I live when I moved into my house needed gas bottle etc, stopped a a little shop with gas bottle outside, that was in early 2004, the shop if you can call it that is still the same today, they have gas bottles, pipe, 1 & 2 ring cookers + some new and 2nd hand spares.. Anyway the old Thai owner + wife spoke perfect English [has a Son + a Daughter both married that live in the US] turned out he is a electrical repair man, over the years cleans + repaired the air con, both fridges, a number of fans, fixed a couple of electrical problems. any other problems he will phone someone for me and a man will arrive.

As said before talk to a Thai in your area, someone is sure to know someone

Some peoples eyeseight isnt so good, I like the larger text.

You can make any text larger or smaller on your screen by simply pressing the Ctrl button at bottom left of your keyboard, and roll the wheel that is between the left and right click buttons of your mouse.

Isn't there some easy way to be more specific about locations? Like "Soi #___" , two blocks from ____ on the right, or (like that famous tailor shop that advertises "by the Big Tree"}?!

Personally, I've tried Thai acquaintances, friendly staff in our bldg., and even the great guy that drives us to & from the airport - not much luck there. Maybe it's easier if you have a Thai partner.

Ripley, You are obviously not looking in the right places. For every item you have mentioned, there are numerous small shops doing such repairs. I recently had my petrol engined strimmer (Weedwacker, I believe, to the Colonials) repaired for 360 Bht, an LCD television repaired for under 2,000 Bht and a water pump for 260 Bht. It is obviosly no good looking for such shops in high rental areas, just have a ride around some of the smaller Soi's, and you might be surprised at the number of repair shops.

Right on. I'm amazed at all these small shops around. The signs are in Thai, and are small...so hard to find what you are looking for. But there are a bunch on Thepprasit Road. Rimmer turned me on to several and have found a lot of stuff the bigger stores just don't carry....or interested in dealing with.

I've found they can fix just about anything...with just about nothing...and done for cheap. Back in the US, it would be tossed and you would have to buy a new one for sure.