Rights To Take Information From One Hospital To Another

fft100

Hi,

Slight issue with my wifes sister (thai).

She has been to a couple of hospitals where they, to be honest, dont seem to have the best equipment and have come up with varying diagnoses that appear, on the symptoms, to be unlikely. tests seem to have been haphazard and the same tests have produced different results.

Today she was admitted to her local hospital (where she hadnt been before) with severe symptoms. I would like to bring up the road (50km ) to where i am, as i can put her in a private room, and on past experience, know the doctors here speak very good english and wont try to make large amounts of money out of her, but will recommend if she needs tests elsewhere (MRI, CT, CAT on the spine is one thing i want).

When asked/told that he husband (thai) would like to take her elsewhere, they refused ! They also told him that we couldnt take any documentation/information with us when she does leave to take to the other hospital.

Is that right ? does every hospital have to start from scratch wrt tests/treatments etc ? Seems very inefficient and dangerous.

What rights does the patient have in this regard ?

thanks

In Thailand, the patient is always allowed to check themselves out AMA (against medical advice) as long as the doctor does not find the patient mentally incapable of making that decision. There is nothing that allows them to force you to stay, nor is there any law that says you can not go anywhere else or refuse treatment altogether. They won't make it easy for you though, and this is actually a good thing. Checking out AMA is not something to be undertaken lightly.

Please remember, your sister in law, the patient, has to demand to be released. Her husband has no standing in this matter. The hospital is completely correct that he can't do anything. He isn't the patient. The sister in law has to be the one fighting the battle.

My experience is that no hospital will let the patient copy their own file. I have managed to do it on one or two occasions by discreetly running to the copy shop when asked to carry it from one floor to the next, but overall the hospitals in Thailand guard those things with their lives. However, once you are checked in at a new hospital, the doctor is allowed to call the old hospital and ask about the contents of the file. I assume if they really needed to see it they could probably arrange to get a copy as well.

So, if your sister in law want to leave, she simply tells the staff she is leaving. The worst they can do is bluster and eventually ask her to sign a document stating that she is leaving AMA and relieving them of responsibility. The other option is to arrange an ambulance from the hospital where you want her to go. In that case, she doesn't check out. She simply transfers into the care of another physician. Might cost you an extra 10k - 20k, but that would avoid the confrontation and make everyone feel better.

Patients do have rights in Thailand, but they often aren't respected. However, the request of another doctor is always respected.

"My experience is that no hospital will let the patient copy their own file. I have managed to do it on one or two occasions by discreetly running to the copy shop when asked to carry it from one floor to the next, but overall the hospitals in Thailand guard those things with their lives."

My experience has been different. A couple of hospitals told me there would be a per page charge for making copies. You are right about the patient not making the copies, but your premise of not being able to get them might be flawed in many hospitals.

The last time I asked, at a government hospital, they handed me the file and asked that I return it when I was done with it. They were very helpful and even told me where i could get copies made close by.

OP, you should ask about getting files copied. If they say no, go higher in the food chain.

I hope everything turns out well.

Terry