Same Old, Same Old

Beechboy

topic.

Scams. Is it getting worse in the LOS?

For ten yeras I have made the same trip from UK to winter in the LOS. Apart from the usual little scammy things that happen to everybody, I have been rather lucky in this aspect of life as a foreigner in this delightful country.

For some reason my arrival at Swampy this time felt like landing in a sea of sharks.

First I was actually stopped and searched by customs. Is this a one off? It was a slightly stressful situation but nothing happened as I was totally clean with not so much as an aspirin in my possession. However, it's never fun being stopped by a uniform in Thailand.

I usually go to arrivals as many do to get a meter taxi on drop-off. On my way there I was, as expected accosted by taxi touts a few times. This time, one of them actually virtually grabbed my suitcase in desperation. I just managed to hang on to it.

Another youngster virtually followed me all the way to the lift refusing to take a smiling "No thank you," as meaning anything of significance. Out of interest, I asked him the cost (to Thonglor). "Two thousand baht," came the reply My smile of derision finaly got rid of him.

I got my meter taxi, but was then asked by the driver how much I would give him. Another first. I nodded at the meter and said, "Whatever that says and I will pay the toll." He settled for that.

On arrival, he managed to get more from me than I had intended because he had no change, surprise, surprise.

To cap it all, after putting my stuff in my apartment, I went to 7-11 for some beer. I was short changed 500 baht. I think this was a genuine mistake.

Was I unlucky that day or are things getting worse? I suppose I now have six months to find out.

After some twenty hours of travelling with little real sleep, I am beginning to dread the Swampy reception bit most of all the other various hassles.

Edited by Beechboy

I think perhaps you had an 'off day'... not you personally, but it seems you had a day where coincidentally the annoying things happened one after the other.

I hate the taxi no change BS (paying for tolls yourself and getting change would eradicate that issue).

Upon arrival in KL the taxi touts are more annoying than in BKK. The only thing I do now is to turn into someone I don't want to be (impolite and rude) and act as if they are not even there by walking through them without even an answer or an acknowledgment of their existence, it seems to work.

As far as all the annoying things happening in succession, they are only minor issues but the cumulative effect and irritation is understandable. The positive side of this is that the law of coincidence means that on some days all the good things will happen in succession and you'll wonder why you are having such a good day....

And.. Lets wait for the posters who write... If you don't like it.........

I think perhaps you had an 'off day'... not you personally, but it seems you had a day where coincidentally the annoying things happened one after the other.

I hate the taxi no change BS (paying for tolls yourself and getting change would eradicate that issue).

Upon arrival in KL the taxi touts are more annoying than in BKK. The only thing I do now is to turn into someone I don't want to be (impolite and rude) and act as if they are not even there by walking through them without even an answer or an acknowledgment of their existence, it seems to work.

As far as all the annoying things happening in succession, they are only minor issues but the cumulative effect and irritation is understandable. The positive side of this is that the law of coincidence means that on some days all the good things will happen in succession and you'll wonder why you are having such a good day....

And.. Lets wait for the posters who write... If you don't like it.........

Thanks for your re-assurance.

Tiger beer always makes me sleep well and today nears perfection.

I must be getting old and travel-weary (and wary with regards Swampyisms.).

Edited by Beechboy

OP,

I'm a bit shocked that one of those swampy taxi drivers actually grabbed your bag. Ive never had that happen and when I'm pestered by them (I mostly ignore) but if they get in my face I give them a very short & sharp, "Mai ow Krup". Smiling at those fekkers is a bit like encourage.

I just tend to totally blank anyone that speaks to me that I don't want to speak to, I feel rude by doing it but if I spoke to EVERY person that wanted to talk then it would take ages to get to my destination, be this at the airport or walking down sukhumvit with the tailors, just totally blank them, like I said it feels rude at first but at the end of the day if someone asks if you want a taxi ignore them, if someone asks if you want a suit ignore them, don't even look at them.

When you get a taxi at swampy go upstairs to departures and jump in a cab that has just dropped someone off, they are glad to have the fare back into town, at the toll if you have no change for the driver make sure you give either a 500 or 1000 baht at the toll, that way you have change. Never get in a taxi that is sat waiting in Bangkok, always flag a taxi down, the ones waiting near hotels are waiting there purely to overcharge you. If someone tells you that somewhere is closed then check for yourself.

There are scams on a daily basis, and I would imagine tourists do fall for them as they know no better, as someone that has been here for 5 years I know the scams so avoid them.

As Richard also says KL is worse, especially in town there, try getting a taxi that will use a meter, its seems an impossible task, whereas in bangkok very rarely does the driver refuse the meter, maybe because I state my destination in Thai, or maybe they are just decent guys that I stop, like I say though if he is waiting then I will not even ask them to take me to my destination, Recently I heard an arab asking one of these criminals to take him to MBK, the price quoted was 2000 baht, he was doing this negotiation on Sukhumvit Soi 11 :angry:

When you get a taxi at swampy go upstairs to departures and jump in a cab that has just dropped someone off, they are glad to have the fare back into town, at the toll if you have no change for the driver make sure you give either a 500 or 1000 baht at the toll, that way you have change. Never get in a taxi that is sat waiting in Bangkok, always flag a taxi down, the ones waiting near hotels are waiting there purely to overcharge you. If someone tells you that somewhere is closed then check for yourself.

I think this is what the OP meant when he said he went to 'Arrivals', he should have written 'Departures'... The cabs are arriving, but the Passengers are departing...

I have had less trouble with the cabs refusing the meter at Departures than when using the proper rank at Arrivals... mostly because of, rather than despite, the organisers on the rank...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I think this is what the OP meant when he said he went to 'Arrivals', he should have written 'Departures'... The cabs are arriving, but the Passengers are departing...

I have had less trouble with the cabs refusing the meter at Departures than when using the proper rank at Arrivals... mostly because of, rather than despite, the organisers on the rank...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Yes, for sure. I was arriving. The taxis dropping off passengers to depart are glad of a return fare. However, with no recorded number, as at the ticket ranks on Arrivals, I always fear an element of risk as I am usually carrying lots of cash to avoid ATM fees etc.

Paranoid I suppose, but I always text the driver's number to my apartment neighbour when I get in the cab. He always does the same to me.

One cannot be too sure. This alarmism came about a few years ago when a young driver took me a route that I had never encountered before, it seemed to be going anywhere but Sukhumvit. He must have been an expert at the roads and the traffic as we suddenly turned into the very end of Soi. 4 after coming through some college grounds. The fare was about right and it was quicker. I never thought Bangkok taxi drivers were particularly good at "the Knowledge." This one was.

This alarmism came about a few years ago when a young driver took me a route that I had never encountered before, it seemed to be going anywhere but Sukhumvit. He must have been an expert at the roads and the traffic as we suddenly turned into the very end of Soi. 4 after coming through some college grounds. The fare was about right and it was quicker. I never thought Bangkok taxi drivers were particularly good at "the Knowledge." This one was.

I don't think I have ever made it from the Airport to Sukhumvit the same way... I especially get nervous if I have forgotten to tell the driver to take the tollways, as often if you have negotiated a fare and they aren't on the meter they will think it comes out of the fare...

I just wish I could remember the good ways so I could tell the driver which way to go, rather than playing The Knowledge roulette... Flights from Oz arrive at about mid night, so with only 2 hours drinking time left, as quick arrival is vital :D ...

I think the best one was, over the top of Suk on the expressway, turn hard right into the little slipway, through the carpark of the Nana Hotel, onto Soi Sii... Had to pay 20 Baht to go through the carpark, but worth every sattang...

Cheers,

Daewoo

to the OP- why would you go to arrivals for a taxi? Of course you will be accosted by touts at there. Just go down to the official taxi pick up location- no touts, no scams. I travel in and out of there 2-3 times a month- never come across a tout in that taxi area, never been ripped off there.

I keep hearing about touts and taxi scams at the airport and since i have never had any problems there i wonder if people are talking about another airport somewhere else!!!

to the OP- why would you go to arrivals for a taxi? Of course you will be accosted by touts at there. Just go down to the official taxi pick up location- no touts, no scams. I travel in and out of there 2-3 times a month- never come across a tout in that taxi area, never been ripped off there.

And pay 50 baht for the privalege of waiting longer and being scammed by the 'Rank Organiser' (happened to me)... no thanks... although the point about touts hitting you when you are going out the 'wrong door' on Departures level is valid... Haven't gone to Arrivals rank in years, but maybe the touts are kept away from that level to allow the 'queue organiser' the scam monopoly...

I keep hearing about touts and taxi scams at the airport and since i have never had any problems there i wonder if people are talking about another airport somewhere else!!!

I haven't had a problem since I stopped using the official rank...

Daewoo

I have always used the official rank and only once had a problem - the meter (or something) had been adjusted so that it went too fast (went up too quickly). Seeing as I always go to the same place, I knew the distance and the expected fare, so that's all I paid.

• 2 weeks later...

And pay 50 baht for the privalege of waiting longer and being scammed by the 'Rank Organiser' (happened to me)... no thanks... although the point about touts hitting you when you are going out the 'wrong door' on Departures level is valid... Haven't gone to Arrivals rank in years, but maybe the touts are kept away from that level to allow the 'queue organiser' the scam monopoly...

I haven't had a problem since I stopped using the official rank...

Daewoo

I also have never had a problem catching a taxi from the departures level and have been doing it for years, even years ago at DMK. There are always a huge number of taxis waiting after dropping a pax hoping to get a fare. The advantages of going up to departures to take a taxi are;

1) You don't have to wait in the AOT queue,

2) You can select the taxi of your choice (Why take some an older taxi that has had 10 000 sweaty bums on it when you can take a new one) - a choice you don't have at the taxi queue. Taking a new taxi also reduces your risks of being scammed by the meter (see next post)

3) You don't pay the 50 baht surcharge,

4) If any driver trys to ask for a flat or non-meter rate, you just take the taxi waiting next to him.

The only disadvantage, is that you have to go to depatures. However, you save time in any event by not having to queue.

One thing people don't think about is that at any given time there are normally 3000-5000 taxis waiting out at the huge Transport Centre Taxi carpark (west of the Transport Centre) in a queue before moving over the the AOT taxi queue at the terminal where they get a fare. Some drivers can wait hours depending on the time of the day. That is one major reason why many taxi drivers try to charge non-Thais a non-meter rate from the airport.

I have always used the official rank and only once had a problem - the meter (or something) had been adjusted so that it went too fast (went up too quickly). Seeing as I always go to the same place, I knew the distance and the expected fare, so that's all I paid.

2) You can select the taxi of your choice (Why take some an older taxi that has had 10 000 sweaty bums on it when you can take a new one) - a choice you don't have at the taxi queue. Taking a new taxi also reduces your risks of being scammed by the meter

I only travel in new taxis in BKK. Firstly, usually there are cleaner and more comfortable for obvious reasons. Secondly, there is the advantage with the newer Toyota (& Nissan) taxis (less than 2 yrs old & easy to identify from the square headlights), as it is only the older taxis with older meters where SOME drivers try to scam non-thais by using an illegal higher meter rate than the official rate.

This is done by pressing the memory button (right hand bottomj corner) 2-4 times, depending on the model of the meter and how is was programmed. A driver only needs to press the start button on their meter once. Taxis are required to have a copy of the official meter rates by distance in the taxi but of course many don't.

The official rate is 35 1st km, 5baht each subsequent km to 12km, 5.5baht/km from 12-20km, 6b/km from 20-30km, 6.5/km 30km- etc.

As a general rule, remember the 555 rule (don't laugh ;) ), At 5km your metered rate should be 55baht (excluding added time surcharges charges for when the taxi stationary or travelling less than 10km/h).

Usually, the illegal meter rate will show around 75-80 baht at 5km - more if you have been waiting. The illegal rate difference increases exponentially so that at 10km where the meter should be reading 81 baht (again this is w/o timed charges) the reading will be around 130 baht.

Anytime a driver presses a button on the meter 2 or more times at the start of your journey you should be weary and consider changing taxis to avoid the hassle when it comes to payment.

If you arrived at a reasonable hour you could have taken airport link. Yeah it would have been tedious but you would have saved money and not had the feeling of being scammed

I dont know why people have an issue with the taxi rank. If you call a taxi to your home or flat, its B20. Of course its B50. You get a paper with the # on it and can report them. With all the paranoia about this and that for people to go to Departures, I think unwise. Maybe at DM, not here. Never take a taxi/driver standing idle unless he is in a queue.

Don't talk to anyone offering anything inside the airport. Yes, it is getting VERY scammy. It goes to the heart of how corrupt the nation is. You have a brand new airport, perfect oppty to clean up all the nonsense and yet...there is more.

My advice - do not smuggle anything. Bring in your duty free and have a nice day. Think about how exxy your fix is back home and how you are still saving here and be happy for it. Get out of Thailand once in awhile and see Asia. While you are at it, bring in a new quota.

Finally, if you are a smoker - I would recommend you night light up when you exit the terminal. Just another flag.

If you are cornered by fake police, demand badges and to be taken into the office or back to customs. Unless you are guilty, do not settle anything in the street. Do not allow your bag to be searched in the street.

I've never had an issue with the taxis. You spoiled guys - whinging about new taxis (OK, the point about bad meters is valid, I like it). Why don't you help the guy in the old taxi buy a new one by supporting him? As if it matters, really. It's a 30min ride for me.

Use the airport link

Why are you traveling with more sh*t than I even own. That's YOUR problem and so is every problem you encounter because of all your crap you drag around the world. It just amazes me the stuff people seem to "need" to support themselves on a holiday.

Do not be in a hurry, think before you act. I know this sounds simple - but you are tired and have done the trip many times. You may act impulsively and the con artist or thief is waiting for you.

If you have big cash - get in the queue, get the slip.

I've never had an issue with the taxis. You spoiled guys - whinging about new taxis (OK, the point about bad meters is valid, I like it). Why don't you help the guy in the old taxi buy a new one by supporting him? As if it matters, really. It's a 30min ride for me.

Good info. and advice. I do always take the new airport link now that it is finally opened even with luggage and a transfer to the MRT.

It is worth noting that the guy in the old taxi in the majority of cases is not going to buy a new taxi as of the nearly 90 000 registered taxis in BKK only around 15 000 are owner driver (Two types: green & yellow coloured or blue and red coloured). All the other taxis are various taxi companies. Support the little guy by any means, that is a good sentiment that you express.

However, for moi I like a new comfortable taxi with good aircon, clean seats and less of a chance of it being smelly or breaking down en route. If I have a choice with a bus or train it is generally the same - the newer the better.

Scams are not limited to Thais. I had a guy calling at my house (claimed he was English, but to me there was Indian blood there somewhere) asking if I could help him with petrol money to enable him to get back to Chang Mai. Claimed he had been ripped off by a bar gurl of all his funds and offered a gold watch as secutity until he returned after amonth to reclaim it and would pay interest. Oh yes, ho hum,. You can get similat watches at the market for 300 baht......he wanted 4500 Baht. Bye Bye English person with Indian blood!!!!

Scams are not limited to Thais. I had a guy calling at my house (claimed he was English, but to me there was Indian blood there somewhere) asking if I could help him with petrol money to enable him to get back to Chang Mai. Claimed he had been ripped off by a bar gurl of all his funds and offered a gold watch as secutity until he returned after amonth to reclaim it and would pay interest. Oh yes, ho hum,. You can get similat watches at the market for 300 baht......he wanted 4500 Baht. Bye Bye English person with Indian blood!!!!

4500 Baht!!......is he flying the plane himself??? :D

FUNDAMENTAL RULES .

you allways have 100 / 50 / 20 bht notes for taxi journeys .

if you expect a taxi driver to have change , you just another stupid farang. :jap: LOL

FUNDAMENTAL RULES .

if you expect a taxi driver to have change , you just another stupid farang. :jap: LOL

Not exactly difficult to obtain small denomination notes inside the airport now is it? :rolleyes:

I've given up any arguments with taxi drivers now. No more BS the conversation begins and ends with 'Meter plus tip'.

Not heard a peep from any of 'em since.

;)

Yes indeed, "Tip" is the operative word and mitigates a lot of annoyance,

but the concept is lost on the plethora of Cheap Charlies that frequent the LOS.

• 1 month later...

FUNDAMENTAL RULES .

Not exactly difficult to obtain small denomination notes inside the airport now is it? :rolleyes:

I just hand over a 1k Baht note for the first toll, change a-plenty :)