The Most You Are Willing To Pay For Pad Thai

Thighlander

Well to me it depends on the setting and also if there is something really special about the pad thai, for example, using giant shrimp.

This reminds me of a time I told a Thai acquaintance that pad thai is often in the 300 baht range in America. His response, well, IT SHOULD BE. I found that really funny as I assumed he meant it would be worth much more money for a taste of exotic Thailand (but the reality is the raw ingredients for the dish cost very similar amounts in the US and Thailand).

this is the sort of post we need on a quiet sunday. this is where all the minge bags get to tell us how tight they are. its one thing being a tightarse, but why would you want to let everyone know? nice one.

What an inappropriate reply. I don't like any of your replies actually.angry.gif

50 baht, if I'm in Bangkok.

In the little Thai cafes it's usually 25 to 40 baht, but I've paid up to 60 baht in Farang restaurants. Of course the tables and chairs are more comfortable in a proper restaurant.. They have to pay more in taxes as well.

I forgot to add that in main beach area of Phuket they will try to force you to pay 100 baht for Pad Thai.

Edited by IanForbes

this is the sort of post we need on a quiet sunday. this is where all the minge bags get to tell us how tight they are. its one thing being a tightarse, but why would you want to let everyone know? nice one.

What an inappropriate reply. I don't like any of your replies actually.angry.gif

50 baht, if I'm in Bangkok.

its obviously a troll topic so why take it seriously. who cares whether a dish is 20 baht or 30 baht? it could be 150++ in a 5 star restaurant. it depends on the place and its up to you to decide if you want to pay it or not. what is the point of this topic? is it ' i'm a penny-pincher are you'? or is it about 'rip-off joints' charging 35 baht? who over the age of six can't figure out how much something is worth.

Ask your mum. nice one.

Edited by november222

Well to me it depends on the setting and also if there is something really special about the pad thai, for example, using giant shrimp.

If you were in a nice restaurant, why would you be buying Pad Thai? Its a snack.

Fish, a good soup and some fried vegetables would be my choice in a nice place, not a plate of noodles you could have any time.

Sticking to my 25B, unless I'm in not in Chiang Mai, in which case I'm on holiday so whatever.

This reminds me of a time I told a Thai acquaintance that pad thai is often in the 300 baht range in America. His response, well, IT SHOULD BE. I found that really funny as I assumed he meant it would be worth much more money for a taste of exotic Thailand (but the reality is the raw ingredients for the dish cost very similar amounts in the US and Thailand).

The cost of most foods today does not just depend on the wholesale cost of the food. A percentage is added for staff, misc. business expenses, and of course taxes :)

In America, these extra costs are the main reason for their higher prices...

Oh, and I am not willing to pay ANYTHING for Pad Thai... I have never liked it :bah:

Edited by LJW

The cost of most foods today does not just depend on the wholesale cost of the food. A percentage is added for staff, misc. business expenses, and of course taxes :)

I fully realize that, which is why when I lived in the US, I cooked my own pad thai at home, and frankly it was the best pad thai I have ever had anywhere

so what you're saying is these days a restaurant in america buys food in the market or wholesalers and then he adds the cost of his rent, wages, taxes, elecricity and god knows what else to come up with a selling price. scandalous. when did that start? why should the customers have to fork out for his over-heads? i hope they dont start doing that in the rest of the world.before you know it they'll be adding on a bit for themselves too - profit!! americans have got a lot to answer for.

Edited by november222

this is the sort of post we need on a quiet sunday. this is where all the minge bags get to tell us how tight they are. its one thing being a tightarse, but why would you want to let everyone know?

The Art Cafe sells a huge one with all kinds of good stuff for something like 80 baht. I guess that I must be a big spender because I buy it from time to time.

proud-473.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

I usually pay 25 and sometimes 30, with pork or chicken. I saw a few signs today one for 45, the other was 55 THB. Are these just touristy places to avoid? Do they Thais ever spend that much on Pad Thai.

I'm getting concerned at the second part of the first line, not so much the price: Phad Thai with pork or chicken?!

Phad Thai has shrimp in it, at least dried shrimp and optionally bigger sized shrimp. Really huge ones IMHO would be overkill for what is indeed a snack, but fresh shrimp of any size will add ot the price.

You can insert any hamburger debate here. There is such a thing as 'too fancy' when it comes to a simple snack. When I say simple I don't actually mean simple of course: it takes experience more than ingredients to do a simple dish just right. Try making Phad Thai yourself sometime, it's actually remarkably difficult to get it just right. Same for Som Tam, etc, etc.

Edited by CheGuava

I've paid the equivalent of 400 baht for it in an upscale Thai restaurant in the U.S. Then I took some Thai cooking classes. I made it at home a couple times a month in the U.S. and now laugh when U.S. friends email me to ask if I'm still doing Thai cooking at home. Heck, no, not when I can go down the street and buy a meal for less than the cost of the ingredients.

Now, a couple times a month I put together dinner from the various food vendors who set up in front of Kad Suan Kaew on Thur, Fri and Sat. One order of som tam that Hubby and I split as a salad starter, a couple of boxes of pad thai to which I add six sticks of grilled squid and a cup of corn if the "corn lady" (who is also the "insect lady") is there. Yeah, I know the squid isn't authentic to pad thai and the corn is even less so, but hey, we're Americans, what do we know about Thai food?

When I am retired in three years at age 50, we should have another look at it. BTW, today, I paid 10 at walking street and with some of those sliced red peppers, it was quite good.

My mom makes it in the States, and it is correct that it will run you about 300 THB in most thai restaurants. Rice noodles run about 100 THB per Kg at the Asian Markets, so I would guess they are less here. Eggs and shrimp are quite similar in price, though.

Edited by Thighlander

I fully realize that, which is why when I lived in the US, I cooked my own pad thai at home, and frankly it was the best pad thai I have ever had anywhere

If it wasn't you might want to change the recipe. :jap:

Thais will pay whatever it cost in that particular establishment if its what they want off the menu in the restaurant they have chosen. Its not often, if ever I have seen Thais sit down, look at a menu, exclaim at the prices then walk out. They are probably very aware that a pad thai can vary between 25 Baht and 250 Baht in Chiang Mai and set there budgets and restaurant / cafe choices accordingly.

My vote for the daftest thread since 'no free water'!

Iain

Thais will pay whatever it cost in that particular establishment if its what they want off the menu in the restaurant they have chosen. Its not often, if ever I have seen Thais sit down, look at a menu, exclaim at the prices then walk out. They are probably very aware that a pad thai can vary between 25 Baht and 250 Baht in Chiang Mai and set there budgets and restaurant / cafe choices accordingly.

My vote for the daftest thread since 'no free water'!

Iain

can you give a link?

what you said about the thais is true of all nationalities. the exception is a small group of strange people from a place called farangland.

Edited by november222

Pad Thai is 25 Baht . 30 at the most. Why would anyone pay more?

Because its important to them that everybody knows that they're not a cheap Charlie.

or maybe because theyre not obsessed about the price of everything and they dont walk around thinking that everyone is out to rip them off .

how can the words 'five baht' and 'rip off' ever be in the same sentence? you see it all the time here.

In the little Thai cafes it's usually 25 to 40 baht, but I've paid up to 60 baht in Farang restaurants. Of course the tables and chairs are more comfortable in a proper restaurant.. They have to pay more in taxes as well.

I forgot to add that in main beach area of Phuket they will try to force you to pay 100 baht for Pad Thai.

think you where lucky there in Phuket "only" paying a 100 Baht ! The hotel where I stayed last year in Patong charged 360 Baht !!!! for Phad Thai.

The best Phad Thai I ever had was in Soi Kingphet off Phetchaburi Road in Bangkok for 10 Baht - an elderly women had a little stall there everybody in the area knew her and she never made more than two portions at a time even when the cue of costumers was long - people where prepared to wait so good was the taste - the real thing - even included the little banana sprouts! Tasted like heaven!

So before you run of to Soi Kingphet now - this was 25 years ago and I doubt she is still selling her delicious noodles.

Pad Thai is 25 Baht . 30 at the most. Why would anyone pay more?

Because its important to them that everybody knows that they're not a cheap Charlie.

or maybe because theyre not obsessed about the price of everything and they dont walk around thinking that everyone is out to rip them off .

how can the words 'five baht' and 'rip off' ever be in the same sentence? you see it all the time here.

I compley agree with you. I personaly have paid 40 baht on the street I asked for a little change in it and surprisingly enough I did not go broke have to call home for more money or hold up a noodle seller.

The best I ever had was 175 baht at the airport in Bangkok. It was in the restaurant over looking the main floor. Last time I looked it was closed.

In the street places where the Thais eat it's pretty cheap, but good. But you aren't expected to spend the night there dining.

This is the little food stand that specializes in Pad Thai and comes out in the evening on the inner moat near Loi Kroh road.

New_Years_Eve_080.sized.jpg

Most restaurants offer a variety of items that everyone shares. It's going to cost more, but the entertainment value of dining with friends is the main attraction. I don't mind paying more because the owner has to pay staff and far higher rent. But, it's STILL a cheap meal by western standards.

This is one of the many dining places in the Airport Plaza. There are not shortages of places to eat in Thailand. Just pick your poison.

Lionels_supper_2.jpg

price for food had been very suggestive . as one dish at different places and how it cook and done as well as what kinda porcelain or plastic or even banana leaf overlay . in all over the dinning experience it give me as well as the freshness of the ingredient . the price vary . so you got to have a range before you ask for the price .

is as simple as how do someone price a steak for 300-700b ( 200-300g ) when we jolly well know you can get beef in the kg from 150b - 600b . while in one country you would not pay more then $10 usd fo ryour steak here you are willing to pay $20 or more just to have a taste of your memory .

Pad thai is very much the same . and all i go tot say most of the street pad thai i saw and ate on the street is just a downgraded version of what is and will be an amazing dish . even restaurant and hotel is making pad thai like some stir up noodle which is profiting from swaying far far aways from what real pad thai should be .

what play the biggest role in the price of the Pad thai is the whole process of making it . how the peanut is hand roasted and grind with a stone mortar to how the sauce is make from hand picked tamarind , which is soak in water and then removing the seed and using a cloth to filter the fiber away .

boiling in slow fire over a pot of charcoal . , there is also the fresh noodle that need to be freshly made .

the banana flower , the dry prawn and fresh prawn it put in . and alot might try to stay away from it the oil that is cooked with selected pig fat . the detail is really amazing . how the edd is added at the right time . over a fan blown charcoal stove .

that the kinda Pad Thai i had before .for that i do not mind paying 60-800b Depending on when where and why .

if you asking which road side store selling padthai and what price i am willing to pay . i will reply 20 - 30 baht at most 40

if you ask me which hotel selling pad thai i am willing to pay for pad thai . i will not eat PAd thai in hotel . is a copy of what pad thai is and i do not want to imagine how there do it behind the kitchen trying to recreate padthai . is only a pad thai lookalike for most hotel .

everyone can cook . and is even easier to cook something after you read a few cook or see a few cooking program ,

but the essence of cooking and understanding food is a whole new level . and i do not expect everyone to understand .

and here i am typing away and doing my finger workout .

cos i feel that there is a huge understanding gap on what food or thai food in this case is all about . so try not to measure it in term of price cos there is no one fix price . you are not just paying for the food you are also paying for the experiences of dinning .

yesterday i just went to eat some Vietnamese food . cost me only 420b for 4 . i sthe first time i had at that place while i was hunting for butter is better since i reply to his post , but i did not found him and instead i found the Vietnamese food outlet whhahahaa lucky me it was an amazing dinning experience .

i will add 10b if you any pad thai dish if it done by an old lady above 60.cos she would had tastes what real Pad thai is when she was young .