Passport Translation

I am having both my sons registered in the family book so that they can get Thai passports etc. i thought this was going to be an easy process. I have now been told at the Amphur that I have to have my passport and both of there's translated into Thai. They also told me that I need to have this done by the British embassy. Has anybody ant knowledge of this? or done it themselves. Do I need to go to Bangkok? How much will it cost? How long will it take? Both my sons came over here on an emergency passport so have no stamps in there British passports, do I now need to take them out of the country and get stamps in the passports after 90 days? Wow this is getting worse with every letter I type...........so I'll stop.

Cheers

Neil

It is an easy process, having gone through it myself, for myself.

What you are missing is the right paperwork. Namely:

-head of the household to allow them to be entered on the housebook

-another Thai citizen to vouch for their identity

-their Thai birth certificates issued by the Thai embassy in the UK (if that is where they were born, only the embassy can issue one for them); and

-ideally, their Thai passports issued in London, which they should have entered Thailand on, showing the stamped date of entry

As he entered Thailand on a British passport, he is subject to immigration rules for Thailand. Fortunately, as children, they are not subject to overstay fines. But, if you are staying long term, my personal view is that you should rectify their immigration status to save hassle later down the track.

As such, when you go back to the UK with the boys, you'll need to make a trip to the Thai embassy to have their Thai birth certificate issued (if they don't have one yet) and their first Thai passport on which to return to Thailand.

Edited by samran

nellyp, I assume one of the parents of your boys is a Thai national. In what country were they born?

Both my boys were born in the uk, and their mother is Thai

I couldn't get their passports organised in the uk as I had to come over quickly for a job I had lined up. They have come over on a tempory passport thing we had from the Embassy in London saying they were Thai nationals. I already have their birth certificates in Thai just no passports

Edited by nellyp

-their Thai birth certificates issued by the Thai embassy in the UK (if that is where they were born, only the embassy can issue one for them); and

-ideally, their Thai passports issued in London, which they should have entered Thailand on, showing the stamped date of entry

As he entered Thailand on a British passport, he is subject to immigration rules for Thailand. Fortunately, as children, they are not subject to overstay fines. But, if you are staying long term, my personal view is that you should rectify their immigration status to save hassle later down the track.

As such, when you go back to the UK with the boys, you'll need to make a trip to the Thai embassy to have their Thai birth certificate issued (if they don't have one yet) and their first Thai passport on which to return to Thailand.

I went to the amphur with every thing apart from the Thai passports which we do not have, as we came over in a rush and only had time to get the birth certificates done (picked up the day before we left). I am unsure how to proceed with the passports which can be be done over here but how I don't know. For now I just want them on the family book ( which I believe will make it easier for their passports later on), as I have no intension on returning to the uk any time soon.

Thanks for the info

I went to the amphur with every thing apart from the Thai passports which we do not have, as we came over in a rush and only had time to get the birth certificates done (picked up the day before we left). I am unsure how to proceed with the passports which can be be done over here but how I don't know. For now I just want them on the family book ( which I believe will make it easier for their passports later on), as I have no intension on returning to the uk any time soon.

Thanks for the info

You might be lucky, as they seem to be intimating that they'll accept a translated copy of the passports. This is rarely the case as the Thai passport is usually required for a foreign born Thai citizen to get on the Tabieen Baan.

You'll have to get the front page of the British passport by a registered translator - if you live near a major city, there should be one there. Probably around 400 baht per page to translate. They should also be able to organise for the passport translations to be legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - basically an offical stamp from the Thai government saying that the translation is good. Not sure off the offical fees and courier fees they'll charge you.

With that legalisation stamp on the translation, the document should then be acceptable to any Thai government agency - including the ampur.

Being on the Tabieen Baan is essential for having a Thai passport issued if you are in Thailand. Sounds like if you get an acceptable translation for them, they may register your kids on the tabieen baan.

But do realise, there is an offical list of documents needed for a foreign born Thai child to be registered on the house book. One thing on that list is the Thai passport which you entered into Thailand on.

Keep in mind you may not be successful in registering them at the Ampur without the Thai passport, in which case you all will need to return to the UK at some point to get them one, and then regularise their immigration status in Thailand.

nellyP,

just to be clear, the temp passport are Thai passports?

If so, I may have misunderstood what you were trying to do. If they are Thai temp passports, why would the ampur need a translation? Are the temp passports only in English?

As for your passport, that might be needed as your name will go on the tabieen baan as the parent of the child.

Edited by samran

Thanks for the info

You might be lucky, as they seem to be intimating that they'll accept a translated copy of the passports. This is rarely the case as the Thai passport is usually required for a foreign born Thai citizen to get on the Tabieen Baan.

You'll have to get the front page of the British passport by a registered translator - if you live near a major city, there should be one there. Probably around 400 baht per page to translate. They should also be able to organise for the passport translations to be legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - basically an offical stamp from the Thai government saying that the translation is good. Not sure off the offical fees and courier fees they'll charge you.

With that legalisation stamp on the translation, the document should then be acceptable to any Thai government agency - including the ampur.

Being on the Tabieen Baan is essential for having a Thai passport issued if you are in Thailand. Sounds like if you get an acceptable translation for them, they may register your kids on the tabieen baan.

But do realise, there is an offical list of documents needed for a foreign born Thai child to be registered on the house book. One thing on that list is the Thai passport which you entered into Thailand on.

Keep in mind you may not be successful in registering them at the Ampur without the Thai passport, in which case you all will need to return to the UK at some point to get them one, and then regularise their immigration status in Thailand.

they were very helpful at the amphur and were prepared to do all the paperwork there and then, but i would need to get the translation to them to get it all finalised. i'm pretty sure that they will put the names on the book if i have the translation. they did say I needed to get the translation done by the brittish Embassy though, so i am a bit confused. Are they actually asking just from an official translator and getting it stamped? I may need to get in touch with both Embassies to get it cleared up. I'm in sisaket so God ony knows if i can get an official translation done

Thanks for the info though

nellyP,

If so, I may have misunderstood what you were trying to do. If they are Thai temp passports, why would the ampur need a translation? Are the temp passports only in English?

As for your passport, that might be needed as your name will go on the tabieen baan as the parent of the child.

The passports were only valid for ten days from the stamp so ran out and cannot be used anymore. If i had known what was necessary to get this done it is what I would have done first. Unfortunately the embassy in UK did not give us all the info and we thought they had. The passports wre in English and Thai. I think the problem is me, as i need to prove who I am in Thai to go on the book as the father

Both my boys were born in the uk, and their mother is Thai

I couldn't get their passports organised in the uk as I had to come over quickly for a job I had lined up. They have come over on a tempory passport thing we had from the Embassy in London saying they were Thai nationals. I already have their birth certificates in Thai just no passports

When you say "the Embassey in London", do you mean the Thai embassy? I honestly have great difficulty making sense of your posts. Everybody else seems replying to you seems to assume that your children entered Thailand on a UK temporary passport.

The passports were only valid for ten days from the stamp so ran out and cannot be used anymore. If i had known what was necessary to get this done it is what I would have done first. Unfortunately the embassy in UK did not give us all the info and we thought they had. The passports wre in English and Thai. I think the problem is me, as i need to prove who I am in Thai to go on the book as the father

OK, this suggests that your sons have a Thai temporary passport. And you are saying that the Amphoe office asked for a Thai translation of this passport. I find this impossible to believe. More likely, you have misunderstood something. Did you present to the Amphoe birth certificates for your sons issued by the Thai embassy in London in Thai language? Perhaps this is what the Amphoe office needs.

OK, this suggests that your sons have a Thai temporary passport. And you are saying that the Amphoe office asked for a Thai translation of this passport. I find this impossible to believe. More likely, you have misunderstood something. Did you present to the Amphoe birth certificates for your sons issued by the Thai embassy in London in Thai language? Perhaps this is what the Amphoe office needs.

I seem to be confusing people here so I will write this before my evening Chang.

My sons came into the country on Thai tempory passports, which have run out, so can't be used. The Amphoe have their birth certificates from the Thai embassy in London, as stated before the tempory passports have run out so cannot be used for anything;and not necessary anyway. I think the confusion comes from what is required by the Amphoe (I'm glad I can spell this correctly now), that is solely a translation of my passport to prove who I am, so that i can go down as their father in the family book.

Reading back through the posts, I have mentioned their passports a few times but the Amphoe (I'm on a roll with that word now) do not require these, and are prepared to do all the necessary paperwork before hand; but I will need the translation to get it all finalised. They have asked for the translation to come from the British embassy over here i.e Thailand. I am unsure if this is possible, but he was showing my wife a translation done previously by somebody from Finland and he was saying the translation had been done by the Embassy. I could see a Thai official stamp on it but could not tell if it was on Embassy headed paper.

I have read back through this reply, so I think this is clear now.

Thanks everyone for all the info you have given.

Contact the embassy if they wil do it, but as far as I know an embassy doesn't provide a translation. Normal procedure is to have a document certified by your embassy, than have it translated into thai by an agency and then go with the documents to the Thai foreign ministry for their stamp. Should be the same with a translation of a passport.

I wouldn't imagine you'd need to involve the British Embassy at all, they won't need to certify your passport, it's already an official Uk government issued document. You'll need to contact the MFA to find out what they need in order to give the approval stamp.

Seeing as the Amphoe folks are being helpful, maybe they'd draft a letter explaining what they need so that any translation agency or indeed the MFA, would understand what's required?

Can't be too hard to actually get done, there's not a lot in a passport to translate!

The messing about and going to and from from various govt. offices will be the hard bit, so if you can minimise that by getting the Amphoe to write down exactly what they want it may lessen the pain.

Oh and the UK embassy don't do translations btw :)

(from their website)

The British Embassy does not undertake the preparation or translation of documents. Many reputable translation companies advertise on the internet as well as in the Thai local press, and there are a number of companies within a short walk of the Embassy. Our staff are not allowed to recommend any particular firms in the private sector to the public.

Edited by bifftastic

They like to have your name translatet in thai on a official paper. They only need to know how to writh your name! You may have a thai marriage cetrificat!?

But as told before, the children do not have to stay in a house book in Thailand, if they do not stay there. If you stay in the UK, the thai embassy there will give you passports!

( Thai Passports may can have (later negative) effects for your children and may for you!?)

I have just had my UK passport details page and my US visa legalised at the UK Embassy in Bangkok, this was done on Monday, cost was 2300 Baht. I was at the Embassy at 10.30am Monday morning and picked the documents back up at 1pm.

Looking at what you are needing done, i think you have to have your passport details page legalised at the UK Embassy and then have it translated into Thai, there are many translators on Wireless road near the Embassy.

The last couple of posters seem to have this pretty much perfact between them. i have been in touch with the british embassy in BBK and they say that what i need is to have the passport certified by them and then get the passport translated by a registered (certified) translator. there was no mention of it being certified by the MFA but apparently this will be done by the translator anyway. I was quoted was 1326 baht each. i am now going to the amphoe in Sisaket to talk to them, as the amphoe in Huai Thap than is a bit remote and may not come across this very often.

Thank you all for your help as even if the information was not totaly correct it sparked other questions for me. to be honest if i had put more thought into the original posts; it may have been easier

cheers

Neil

They like to have your name translatet in thai on a official paper. They only need to know how to writh your name! You may have a thai marriage cetrificat!?

But as told before, the children do not have to stay in a house book in Thailand, if they do not stay there. If you stay in the UK, the thai embassy there will give you passports!

( Thai Passports may can have (later negative) effects for your children and may for you!?)

though born in the uk we intend staying in Thailand for quite a few years and want the boys in the family book. especialy as they have no stamp in any currnet passport at all. As mentioned before they came in on a tempory passport from the Thai embassy in britain. I can only assume they are now here under the radar, a situation i do not like

Even though the temporary passports with which your boys arrived in Thailand are now expired their presence in Thailand is perfectly legal. You are right that they should now get entered in a Thai house registration book so that they can get a new Thai passport. Good thinking on your part not to wait until they will travel again.

Keep the expired temporary passports and bring them along to the passport office for the new passport application, as they may want to see them.

though born in the uk we intend staying in Thailand for quite a few years and want the boys in the family book. especialy as they have no stamp in any currnet passport at all. As mentioned before they came in on a tempory passport from the Thai embassy in britain. I can only assume they are now here under the radar, a situation i do not like

As Maestro said, your children entered on Thai passports, so they are perfectly legal in the country without immigration restriction.

You are doing the right thing by getting them on the house book - which is necessary for all Thai citizens who are resident in Thailand. Makes life alot easier once it is done.

Good luck with it all.

Thank you all for your help. It looks like it may well be sorted now. i have been to the amphore in sisaket and they have told me there is no need for a translation of my passport at all as we already have there thai birth certificates. On the birthcertificates it says who I am and gives a translation of my name. They told us I need get nothing new as we have all we need and that they could do it with what we have if her family was from sisaket in stead of huai thap than. They have even given us the relevant bit of regulation to quote and which number regulation it is. I still have a feeling this will not go completely smooth but at least we have all the knowledge now.

Again many thanks

Neil

nellyP,

A good point by Samran. The tabien baan has to show the nationalities of both parents of each member of the household. If no acceptable evidence is provided, the district office will just enter "no nationality specified" for the parent which may lead to problems later on, as I discovered as a result of being wrongly advised it was optional to provide evidence of my parents' nationality for my first tabien baan. I effectively ended up a child of stateless parents and had to jump through many hoops to correct this later on.

If any one needs to get a passport or other foreign document translated and notarised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, get the embassy notarisation done before the translation and ask the consular staff to spell name of the vice-consul who signs for you in Thai. The translator has to translate the name into Thai and the MOF will gleefully reject the translation, if they don't like the way the translator arbitrarily decided to transliterate the vice-consul's name into Thai script. Unbelievable - but this annoying piece of bureaucratic pettiness was inflicted on me by the MOF, causing a delay and an additional trip out to the MOF in Chaengwattana. It is also extremely important to have one consistent spelling of your own name in Thai that you always use in any Thai documents. I have had problems because Thai officials have written a "mai ek" tone mark in my name which is not there in the official version and obviously makes officials think there are two farangs with the same surname, three given names, nationality and date of birth but one has a "mai ek" and the other doesn't.

hi,

get yourself a cheaper translated certified copy of your passport - in chiang mai a company called star visa did mine and it's good to take with you to ampurs etc you can show it and your less likely to get turned away or flogged off. only 200 baht.

you can get thai passport done an mae rim and you'll need thai birth certificate and your uk passport , maybe mother has to go also or take a photo copy of i.d card signed.

i put my daughter on the blue kor ror 14 book but no one has ever asked to see it,

our thai/english daughter now has uk and thai birth certs. and both passports so any questions please ask,

chris.

hi,

get yourself a cheaper translated certified copy of your passport - in chiang mai a company called star visa did mine and it's good to take with you to ampurs etc you can show it and your less likely to get turned away or flogged off. only 200 baht.

you can get thai passport done an mae rim and you'll need thai birth certificate and your uk passport , maybe mother has to go also or take a photo copy of i.d card signed.

i put my daughter on the blue kor ror 14 book but no one has ever asked to see it,

our thai/english daughter now has uk and thai birth certs. and both passports so any questions please ask,

chris.

Cheers Chris. Star visa are where i had my marriage cert done. That was 7 years ago and i still have their card. I will do this as you suggest. It could be very useful in the future :jap: