Weather warning: Thailand's worst flooding in 50 years

webfact

Weather warning: Thailand's worst flooding in 50 years

Flash floods kill seven in Thailand

King concerned about Maharaj Hospital flood in Nakhon Ratchasima

BANGKOK, Oct 19 -- His Majesty the King is concerned about the flooding that has hit many provinces, especially at Maharaj Hospital in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, and has assigned the chairman of the Rajaprachanukroh Foundation under Royal Patronage to visit the flood zone today, according to Nakhon Ratchasima governor Rapee Pongbuppakit.

Mr Rapee said HM the King assigned Dissathorn Watcharothai, Rajaprachanukroh Foundation chairman, to survey flood hit areas in the province, particularly Maharaj Hospital which lost the use of its emergency room and ground floor by high level of flood water.

He said the hospital will initially evacuate 40 patients in critical care from critical patients from the 100 patients currently in the hospital to in Khon Kaen. The Hospital has coordinated with Royal Thai Air Force Wing1 Air Force Base at Nakhon Ratchasima to provide C130 military transport aircraft to transport the patients.

The flood victims in Nakhon Ratchasima which badly hit by the worst flooding in 50 years still facing difficulties while waiting for assistance in terms of food and water.

Royal Irrigation Department director general Chalit Damrongsak said if there was no new storm, the hospital would still be under water for 10 to 15 days.

At Ayutthaya, more than 50 workers of the Fine Arts Departments urgently piled up sand bangs to support concreted bunger at Wat Thammaram which house ancient Ho Phra Tripitaka which is a library for Buddhist scriptures to prevent flood water.

Prime Minister Abhisit on Monday inspected flood hit area in Nakhon Ratchasima and said he will gather all means of relief resources and will report the flood situation assessment to the Cabinet on Tuesday before setting up a working group to help the victims. Some regulations will be exempted so that aid will reach them as soon as possible.

He said the Cabinet will also review the efficiency of the existing flood warning system.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department has warned of heavy rain and flash flood.

In the 30th advisory statement, the department said a monsoon trough lies over central and northeastern Thailand.

Scattered rain is likely over the country with isolated heavy rain over the lower northern and central regions. People along hill slope near waterways and in the lowlands of the lower Northeast and the Central are warned of severe weather and possible flash flood. Flooding conditions in lowland of the Northeast and the East remain warned.

The ridge of high pressure areas from China will cover northern and northeastern Thailand causing cooler weather and a temperature drop by 2-4 degrees Celsius.

Typhoon “Megi” in the middle South China Sea was moving west-northwest at about 25 km/hr and will near the coastal area of southern China during Oct 23-24. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-19

Current weather forecast for Thailand (All provinces):

http://weather.thaivisa.com

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vietnam floods kill 41, survivors 'destitute': officials

by Le Thang Long

HANOI, October 19, 2010 (AFP) - Flooding in central Vietnam has killed 41 people and left survivors destitute, officials said Tuesday, as relatives of at least 15 missing bus passengers watched rescuers scour a river for their loved ones.

The heavy rains that began late last week have washed over three provinces: Nghe An, Quang Binh, and Ha Tinh. In Ha Tinh police said a bus had disappeared in the flood waters on the main north-south highway on Monday.

State television said hundreds of soldiers using boats and metal detectors had been mobilised to search for the bus passengers.

"This morning we used army engineers and their special boats, for detecting bombs and mines, to try to locate the bus that was swept away by the water. But it has been in vain until now," Lieutenant General Pham Quoc Cuong said on state television.

Police and local residents also joined the search, which was hampered by strong currents, Tran Van Long, deputy head of Nghi Xuan district police, told AFP.

"We think the bus carried between 33 and 37 people. Eighteen people have been rescued," Long said. "We haven't been able to locate the bus as the water has been so strong."

He said about 50 relatives of the missing were at the scene beside the swollen Lam River, near Vinh city, where rain had stopped and the waters were gradually receding.

"The disaster has left thousands of people in the province penniless after their assets were swept away in the flood waters. They have nothing left to eat or drink," the chairman of Ha Tinh's local government, Vo Kim Cu, was quoted as saying in the state Vietnam News on Tuesday.

Authorities said more than 150,000 homes had been flooded but emergency supplies including dry noodles, drinking water, medication, and life jackets had been sent to affected areas.

Television pictures showed rescuers in boats delivering instant noodles.

People have suffered "a very severe shortage of food products" in recent days and the top priority is to get them water and something to eat, Nguyen Bang Toan, a Communist Party district chief in Ha Tinh, said on state television.

"We have to save them from hunger," he said.

The international Red Cross on Monday appealed for more than one million dollars in aid for victims of the flooding, the second major inundation to hit the central region this month.

Flooding earlier left at least 64 people dead in Quang Binh and other central provinces.

"The country is finding greater intensity of floods, greater intensity of droughts," the World Bank's vice-president for sustainable development, Inger Andersen, told AFP late Monday in Vietnam.

Andersen, who is on an Asian tour, said climate change was the biggest sustainable development challenge facing Vietnam.

"Managing floods and droughts... becomes absolutely key to mitigating against climatic shocks and climatic events," she said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-19

Flash floods kill seven in Thailand: officials

BANGKOK, October 19, 2010 (AFP) - Flash floods have killed at least seven people in Thailand since early last week and left large swathes of the northeast under water, officials said Tuesday.

The floods are the worst in three decades in Nakhon Ratchasima province, where three people have died and another person is missing, an official at the government's Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said.

Provincial governor Rapee Phongbupakit said 24 of his 32 districts were under water, affecting more than 200,000 people.

"The floods are spreading to more areas in the province and the water levels in town average one metre (yard)," he told AFP by telephone.

Authorities in Bangkok warned residents living alongside the Chao Phraya River to brace for rising water level.

On Monday Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva visited the northeast to inspect the floods, which have damaged large areas of farmland.

Flooding has also killed dozens of people in Vietnam while in the Philippines Super Typhoon Megi has left at least 10 people dead.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-19

30 Alligators Escape from Farm in Nakorn Ratchasima

Reports indicate that more than 30 alligators have escaped from the Si Kew Alligator Farm in Nakorn Ratchasrima province. Heavy flooding in the provice has allowed the reptiles to swim out of their confinements. Only two have been recaptured. Reports also indicate that some of them are as long as three meters.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-19

footer_n.gif

Reports indicate that more than 30 alligators have escaped from the Si Kew Alligator Farm in Nakorn Ratchasrima province. Heavy flooding in the provice has allowed the reptiles to swim out of their confinements. Only two have been recaptured. Reports also indicate that some of them are as long as three meters.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

are these wild crocs or trained crocs ? , as i wouldnt like to be in those waters at the moment

We have in our small town a couple of Croc Farms, apparently quite a few escaped from one of them a few days ago, some small ones were captured (and eaten) but there are still a few biggies on the loose. I don't know if BMs barrybankruat and afarang can confirm this or not.

It was very difficult if not impossible to drive on some roads last week, I was worried about getting washed in to a rice field myself the other day (unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, even if I had there was no way I was stopping to take pictures)

Travelling around now there are many padis which will not be producing any rice this year.

No rain for the last 18 hours or so, but I can hear the distant rumble of thunder from the Cambodian border, and I can practically throw rocks in to Cambodia from here.

Just got off the phone with my wife and she said NS city is OK with some wet areas here and there. Most of the flooded areas are outside the city. But it keeps on raining.

My house is 500 mtrs away from the river on the southern side of the city and there aren't any major floods around there although the roads may be swamped at times.

Nothing major.

I am supposed to be travelling to Sing Buri, Nakhon Sawan and Saraburi this weekend. Now a bad idea??

Planning to spend the long weekend in Nakhon Sawan also, Are there some members who know the current situation in the city

Are you affected? Post your photos!

It's not my photo, but as a frame of reference, this is what a 3 meter long alligator on the loose looks like:

alligatoratdoor.jpg

Be Careful Korat!

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

are these wild crocs or trained crocs ? , as i wouldnt like to be in those waters at the moment

Somehow I doubt that they are the domesticated type that curl up in front of the fire or go fetch your slippers for you.

I am supposed to be travelling to Sing Buri, Nakhon Sawan and Saraburi this weekend. Now a bad idea??

Planning to spend the long weekend in Nakhon Sawan also, Are there some members who know the current situation in the city

The wife and I live about 45 km south of Nakhon Sawan in the province of Chai Nat; we are high and dry. We went to church on Sunday two days ago and there was much standing water in the town of Takhli about 15 km southeast of us (the air force base there was under water).

I know that the Jiraprawat Golf Course on the south side of Nakhon Sawan is closed due to the rains but I haven't heard of any flooding in the town itself.

Hope that helps a little.

30 Alligators Escape from Farm in Nakorn Ratchasima, in Nakhon Sawan too.

We have in our small town a couple of Croc Farms, apparently quite a few escaped from one of them a few days ago, some small ones were captured (and eaten) but there are still a few biggies on the loose.

For all these missing crocodiles and alligators out on the loose, there's not many animals that can be used to counteract them, but Dusit Zoo and Khao Keow Zoo do have these:

hippocrocodile21523610i.jpg

r86039292.jpg

Medical staff transfer a patient to another hospital during a flood in Nakhon Ratchasima province, northeast of Bangkok, October 19, 2010. Days of continuous downpour across central and northeastern Thailand have led to the worst flood in recent years, according to local media.

REUTERS

captf4c99b2a392845bdb89.jpg

An aerial view of the flooded area in Nakhon Ratchasima province, northeastern Thailand. Weekend downpours across central and northeastern Thailand had tapered off in certain areas by Monday but left a dozen provinces submerged under more than 3 feet (1 meter) of water and damaged 10 highways, officials said.

AP

Alligators? Or Crocodiles?

I'd like to know if that original story is correct? Alligators are native to the USA and China (though very rare in nature in China; more are held in captivity.)

If they are really alligators that got loose, there must be a story on why they brought them to Thailand. Anyway, not much difference between them and crocs . . . though crocs are supposedly more aggressive.

They have enough to worry about in Korat without having to also worry about alligators (or crocodiles) swimming around too!

The wife and I live about 45 km south of Nakhon Sawan in the province of Chai Nat; we are high and dry. We went to church on Sunday two days ago and there was much standing water in the town of Takhli about 15 km southeast of us (the air force base there was under water).

I know that the Jiraprawat Golf Course on the south side of Nakhon Sawan is closed due to the rains but I haven't heard of any flooding in the town itself.

Hope that helps a little.

I live 65 km south west of Khampaeng Phet near the Mae Wong national park.

Yesterday and this morning the rain had almost stopped so I took my motorbike down to Nakhon Sawan.

I got as far as Lat Yao which is about 45 km north west of NS and there was a small flood about 5 km outside of Lat Yao and a bigger one around 10cm deep on the crown of the road.

A policeman ad vised me that between Lat Yao and NS there were floods about 50cm deep across the road.

I did what any sensible person would do. I did the shopping I could in Lat Yao and came home.

About 10 km from home the skies just opened up and there has been heavy rain and thunderstorms for the last hour.

Where is the smiley with the umbrella when you need one.

I hope they safe some of this water for the upcoming dry season. See the headlines already from March 2011 WATER SHORTAGES IN MANY PROVINCES ALL OVER THAILAND, Farmers complain about watering of Golf Greens, Megkong at his lowest level in 100 years etc. etc. etc.....same procedure as every year,- please, wake me up after they learned something from it :jap:

I hope they safe some of this water for the upcoming dry season. See the headlines already from March 2011 WATER SHORTAGES IN MANY PROVINCES ALL OVER THAILAND, Farmers complain about watering of Golf Greens, Megkong at his lowest level in 100 years etc. etc. etc.....same procedure as every year,- please, wake me up after they learned something from it :jap:

I don’t think it is the same procedure every year. The situation for water has been getting worse and worse. Looking at the web sites of the Mekong River Commission during the water shortage month of June (the beginning of the wet season) I saw that the Mekong was lower than their benchmark ‘Dry Year’. I found some tables comparing rain fall over many (I think fifty) years and saw that there was a trend downwards in the entire Mekong basin. That is: there was clearly a continual reduction in total rainfall since the 1950’s

Looking at the Mekong sites again now, I see that in the lower Mekong the levels are still below the benchmark ‘Dry Year’. This may not be for long, since the levels in the Mekong bordering Thailand have gone up so fast during September that they are nearing ‘Flood Year’ levels - but nowhere near flood alarm levels. Checking the rain fall accumulation I see that the rain was late starting and very heavy in September. The total rain fall accumulation for this year is still low – so the Mekong level is not (only) the fault of Chinese dams. The rain fall record I refer to is at the Mekong river sites, not in the interior of Thailand.

Flooding in BKK will come from the north. The Korat province drains to the Mekong.

Talked to the girlfriend this morning, last night in Thailand her family lives in chokchai and they had water in the house and the family farm was under water.

were abouts in Chok Chai, I have friends in Sagegong, I wonder if that area is also under water

Alligators? Or Crocodiles?

I'd like to know if that original story is correct? Alligators are native to the USA and China (though very rare in nature in China; more are held in captivity.)

I wondered too, yet they do call themselves an Alligator Farm . . . there are Siamese crocodiles in Pangsida National Park, released in 2005 as part of a breeding programme. Either way, I'd rather not meet one without a good wire mesh between us.

We are about 50km south of Sa Kaeo town and to date have not had any flooding issues, occasional downpour but nothing that hasn't drained away within minutes. Rivers are very high though. While the people of NR/Korat are up to their waists in water, we spent the day at the SK Thai Boat Competition near Wang Nam Yen.

First 2 pics of the river at Khao Chakan - 1st on 21 September, second yesterday 18 October, maybe a metre higher.

And some fun on the water, boat racing today.