Bangkok’S Blogging British Monk

Boater

MONK_MAIN_IMAGE.jpgPhra Pandit Bhikkhu, center, sharing a meal with friends.The image of saffron-clad monks wandering Bangkok’s streets on their early-morning alms rounds is a familiar one. But one aspect of this long tradition that still causes a double-take is when one of those monks is obviously not Thai, or even Asian.

Slowly, they are becoming a more common sight here. Phra Pandit Bhikkhu, a Brit who was ordained as a Theravada monk in 1996, is one of the most visible Westerners in Thai Buddhist circles.

“Growing up, I found that I didn’t really like people, and didn’t get much from society in general,” he says. “When I was younger I read a book about a monk who lived in a cave whose best friend was a snake that lived under his bed. All he did was meditate and had nothing to do with the world, and I thought that’s great; that’s me,” he laughs.

Theravada Buddhism, the sect most popular in Thailand, focuses on wise reflection, meditation and the belief that one of the main causes of human suffering is craving, or the desire to amass wealth.

“The more you give up, the more freedom you have,” says Phra Pandit.

As a monk, he says his life is austere yet rewarding. He spends time much as his monastic brothers do, performing tasks involved with maintaining the sangha (the Buddhist community), from temple upkeep to administration to furthering his studies.

Developing an online presence

For those unfamiliar with the nuances of Buddhism, a conversation with the affable monk can be quite an eye opener. He checks his mobile phone regularly for messages, talks knowledgeably on the latest developments in nuclear energy and discusses the challenges of building an online community via his blog, www.littlebang.org.

“Some people like to say ‘monks shouldn’t do this, monks shouldn’t do that.’ But monks are just ordinary people with a more visible moral framework to live by. If monks are going to be leaders in society, they should have an education equal to the people in that society, rather that someone who doesn’t know how to use a computer or talk about history or math. An education and familiarity with modern tools are necessary.”

Using these tools, such as his blog and Facebook, Phra Pandit has built up a sizeable expat community interested in exploring meditation and Buddhism. He leads regular talks and organizes special events that see some of Buddhism’s most talked-about names come through Thailand.

“On November 2 we’re very lucky to be hosting Phra Jayasaro who is a huge name in Thailand and in Buddhism, and on December 21 we have Phra Pasanno, a Canadian abbot of an international temple in California,” he says. “In January His Holiness Phakchok Rinpoche is visiting, who is a very young and charismatic teacher, and we’re setting up an intense 10 days of events with him.”

In addition, Phra Pandit leads weekend retreats that strip away the mystery behind meditation, making it more accessible for those who join.

“Once you learn how to meditate properly, it stays with you forever,” he says. “You can meditate anywhere because the base of your happiness is inside you. If you’re married, in prison, in a hot country, cold country, rich or poor, it doesn’t matter. Happiness comes from letting go.”

Read more: Bangkok’s blogging British monk | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/life/bangkoks-blogging-british-monk-581863#ixzz12sSE1UPh

Sorry but I am not impressed.

Don't be sorry, he's not looking to impress. Check his blog or meet him at one of the activities he organises.

He is a nice person.

Right. The volunteers at Soi Dog are nice people too. The frumpy foreign ladies that volunteer at any one of a number of orphanages are nice people too. The foreign grad students and post doc researchers that agreed to work on non lucrative public health projects in rural Thailand are nice people too. Do you know what the differentiating feature between these people and the holy roller blogging monk is? These mere mortal unenlightened foreigners are trying to make the world a better place by contributing of themselves to the progress and betterment of the nation. I do not know exactly what a blogging foreign monk does to make the world a better place except to be supported by others? Oh wait, he's enlightened and I'm not. He provides doundbites like "Happiness comes from letting go.” oooo that's deep. A walking fortune cookie. Hey, I know what, the foreigners and Thais that aren't meditating and are instead keeping the hungry fed, the poor clothed and providing care to the dying should just let go. Yea, that's right, they should drop all these causes like a foreigner drops his wife once she gets older. Right, that's dthe difference.

When I look at the photo and see the foreign monk with his tatoo, the first thing I think of is, oh great, he's on to another fad. Just as it was cool at one time to get a bad tatoo, now it's trendy for foreigners to become "monks". Oh yes, this is how they wil slay their personal demons.Right. I reckon, the bogeyman are still hiding in the foreign monks' closets and will scare them again at some point. The progress of a nation does not come from people like this. He is a consumer of resources and gives nothing back except toss away statements that both pander to and exploit the fears of other humans.

Hmm....Let's see.

Rolling round in a Lamborghini Gallardo tucking into a Kobe steak or or walking round barefoot through the dogshit spooning down Mama and boiled rice for the umpteenth time.

Tough call. :D

I can absolutely relate to this as I have slowly been 'giving up' many things for a long time. I did not replace these 'given up' things with anything.

The result has been a great reduction in stress & drama, & an increase in quality of life.

When one realises that ALL is hopeless, one can be free(er).

BTW, I'm not religious in any way. This is my 'self discovery'.

Well, I think you just about covered everything there Geriatrickid :)

Simon

Yes, excellent reply, summed it up perfectly.

Loved this little quote

"Theravada Buddhism, the sect most popular in Thailand, focuses on wise reflection, meditation and the belief that one of the main causes of human suffering is craving, or the desire to amass wealth."

Any comment on this would be superfluous.

May well just be an illusion what I see around me each and every day.

" All he did was meditate and had nothing to do with the world, and I thought that's great; that's me,"

What an odd thing to admit.

Is it really that odd? Should he keep it to himself? He is a monk!

I must admit I thought about it myself a couple of times. Fed up of people thinking too much and stressing over everything, then I came to Thailand and found that not everyone is like that.

Don't be sorry, he's not looking to impress. Check his blog or meet him at one of the activities he organises.

He is a nice person.

Right. The volunteers at Soi Dog are nice people too. The frumpy foreign ladies that volunteer at any one of a number of orphanages are nice people too. The foreign grad students and post doc researchers that agreed to work on non lucrative public health projects in rural Thailand are nice people too. Do you know what the differentiating feature between these people and the holy roller blogging monk is? These mere mortal unenlightened foreigners are trying to make the world a better place by contributing of themselves to the progress and betterment of the nation. I do not know exactly what a blogging foreign monk does to make the world a better place except to be supported by others? Oh wait, he's enlightened and I'm not. He provides doundbites like "Happiness comes from letting go." oooo that's deep. A walking fortune cookie. Hey, I know what, the foreigners and Thais that aren't meditating and are instead keeping the hungry fed, the poor clothed and providing care to the dying should just let go. Yea, that's right, they should drop all these causes like a foreigner drops his wife once she gets older. Right, that's dthe difference.

When I look at the photo and see the foreign monk with his tatoo, the first thing I think of is, oh great, he's on to another fad. Just as it was cool at one time to get a bad tatoo, now it's trendy for foreigners to become "monks". Oh yes, this is how they wil slay their personal demons.Right. I reckon, the bogeyman are still hiding in the foreign monks' closets and will scare them again at some point. The progress of a nation does not come from people like this. He is a consumer of resources and gives nothing back except toss away statements that both pander to and exploit the fears of other humans.

The people who you mention are, I'm sure nice people, I don't think anybody said that they weren't.

Are you saying there's no place/need for monks in Thailand? If so that's quite a statement. I believe monks are just as important if not more than the people you mentioned, especially in Thailand, I wouldn't like to see what would happen to this country without them.

He is a nice person.

Right. The volunteers at Soi Dog are nice people too. The frumpy foreign ladies that volunteer at any one of a number of orphanages are nice people too. The foreign grad students and post doc researchers that agreed to work on non lucrative public health projects in rural Thailand are nice people too. Do you know what the differentiating feature between these people and the holy roller blogging monk is? These mere mortal unenlightened foreigners are trying to make the world a better place by contributing of themselves to the progress and betterment of the nation. I do not know exactly what a blogging foreign monk does to make the world a better place except to be supported by others? Oh wait, he's enlightened and I'm not. He provides doundbites like "Happiness comes from letting go." oooo that's deep. A walking fortune cookie. Hey, I know what, the foreigners and Thais that aren't meditating and are instead keeping the hungry fed, the poor clothed and providing care to the dying should just let go. Yea, that's right, they should drop all these causes like a foreigner drops his wife once she gets older. Right, that's dthe difference.

Seems you woke up on wrong side of the bed this morning.

Seems you woke up on wrong side of the bed this morning.

Well if truth be told, call at 01:00 hrs from my friend who had a bonafide brainwave and had to tell me about it. (It was a Thai genius idea, so you can imagine.) Then at 4 AM I had someone's paw in my face. (I have a feeling my snoring must be annoying him.) However, despite that, I am not impressed by white guys spouting the wisdom of Suzy Wong. At least he doesn't write in Thinglish.

Now that you have caused me to consider the situation, I believe my furry guardian may have some things in common with the holy roller. I am sure that my snoring caused the defender of the bed some distraction and because of that he could not detach from his suffering. In fact, I was probably the cause of the suffering.

Sometimes he can be quite obstinate in seeking out his desire for material possessions, particularly a ball, and this can cause suffering when something is knocked over. Unike the tatooed purveyor of enlightenment, Mr. 4 paws is able to end his suffering by naking sad sounds that cause me to immediately find the ball or serve breakfast at the appropiate time. However, I do believe my master has been able to go one step further than the UK's pillar of light, as master is free of all suffering when he is sleeping contentedly on my bed, hogging it of course.

He sounds all right to me. If you don't like the monastic lifestyle you don't have to donate.

If all or even half the monks in Thailand were as enterprising and outgoing as this man, Thais would have much more respect for their monks and might find more exemplars to follow.

Health and welfare workers, especially those who work for little pay, are to be commended, but other work is commendable, too. Would you have no respect for teachers or writers, after all? Phra Pandit communicates (i.e. teaches) through his website and arranges lectures and seminars for other teachers of note. Is that just a waste of time? I don't know what else he does, apart from study, but he seems a busy fellow. Is he simply spongeing off society? It doesn't seem so. There are plenty of spongeing monks in Thailand, but this man doesn't appear to be one of them.

Incidentally, the tattoo is on the visiting monk.

Edited by Xangsamhua

The key phrase in the article is: "If monks are going to be leaders in society, they should have an education equal to the people in that society..." One of a monk's main duties is to teach the laity about Dharma (i.e. the Buddha's way of being happier), and yet very few are able to. Phra Pandit has a Bachelor's degree in psychology, is currently studying for a Master's degree and is teaching at a monastic university. It's no surprise then that he repays society by giving clear and insightful Dharma talks himself.

The monk in the brownish robe is a forest monk following some of the 13 ascetic practices - not something I'd want to try myself.

He is a nice person.

Ouch, that's nasty. You seem to be lacking a certain degree of happiness. Of all the people / occupations you could have chosen to criticise, the monkhood seems a strange one. Why not direct your complaints at, oh I don't know - the military?

I think medititation is bulshit, and no one has ever given me a half decent explanation on how clearing the mind can make you feel better.

I rank it up there with believing in god and ghosts. Nice thought but it is 2010 and still no evidence of any of them working.

I think medititation is bulshit, and no one has ever given me a half decent explanation on how clearing the mind can make you feel better.

Research on the benefits of meditation is well documented.

Benefits include:

Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning

· Improved Ability to Focus

· Increased Creativity

· Deeper Level of Relaxation

· Improved Perception and Memory

· Development of Intelligence

· Natural Change in Breathing

· Decrease in Stress Hormone

· Lower Blood Pressure

· Reversal of Aging Process

· Reduced Need for Medical Care

· Reduction in Cholesterol

· Increased Self-Actualization

· Increased Strength of Self-Concept

· Decreased Cigarette, Alcohol, and Drug Abuse

· Increased Productivity

· Improved Relations at Work

· Increased Relaxation and Decreased Stress

· Improved Health and More Positive Health Habits

One explanation I can give is that the human mind and body are interwoven.

Regular meditaters who use mindfulness to observe themselves will notice that thought causes tension to arise in the body, whilst tension in the body will give rise to thought.

A still mind leads to deep relaxation in the body & conversely a relaxed body quietens the mind. With regular practice, this experience of deep relaxation and stillness of mind can be carried into ones daily waking life.

A deep stillness of mind diminishes anxiety, stress, & worry, states which have a negative impact on anyones well being. This doesn't mean you end up with no thought but the background chatter is replaced with a deep sense of clarity.

Due to lack of mindfulness, many go through life with different levels of anxiety, stress, & worry without much awareness of this.

What makes you believe meditation is "bull#$!t"?

Edited by rockyysdt

I rank it up there with believing in god and ghosts. Nice thought but it is 2010 and still no evidence of any of them working.

I don't think you should need an explanation. You should just try it. For example, if you have a dilemma and can't come to a decision, instead of thinking about it over and over, you can try to not think about anything IE.) meditating. The answer will come to you easier, I promise.

He is a consumer of resources and gives nothing back except toss away statements that both pander to and exploit the fears of other humans.

What a hel_l of a good post! I try to be a decent person [and often fail] but have no time for flapdoodle like "That from which can be deviated is not the Tao," not that this monk said that.

Edited by camerata
Unnecessary quoting deleted.

Buddhism is not for the lazy.....you have to do the hard work yourself. The only way to do that is to meditate yourself. There are always lazy ones who sit back and say "I don't believe you...you prove it to me" ..because they cannot be bothered to do anything themselves. Wisdom and knowledge derived from personal practice is to be known only by oneself and cannot be shown or proved to others.

• 1 month later...

Any body of answers passed from one institution or individual to another, who readily accepts them without the rigor of analysis and the deliberate rejection of "conclusions", is as a whole, by definition, a lazy pursuit.

"Wisdom and knowledge derived from personal practice is to be known only by oneself and cannot be shown or proved to others. "

In such cases we cannot term the items in question "wisdom" or "knowledge" then, since both are conceptually only still on the human radar expressly because they can be transmitted.

Edited by OxfordWill