Inexpensive Indian Food

pcruzer

i miss so miss indian food .

especially good one .

i used to eat tons of it when i was staying in khao san some 10 plus years ago .

tandori chicken , pita , love the curry . will go try it someday .

the top floor of KSK have a international food fair , not sure if it still there .

Its not new, and not hot, unless they have spiced it up. I havent used it in over 2 years since my first experience.

Can anyone else confirm if it has improved?

Cheers

Iain

If the OP is referring to The Curry Pot, then it most certainly hasn't improved.

Its not new, and not hot, unless they have spiced it up. I havent used it in over 2 years since my first experience.

Cheers

Iain

If the OP is referring to The Curry Pot, then it most certainly hasn't improved.

I can only desribe it in one word "Yuk".

We ordered 2 different curry dishes at the curry pot but both looked and tasted the same. The taste was OK but not a taste I've associated with Indian food before. Royal India is a bit grotty but I love the food. It's authentic plus not too expensive.

Cheers

Iain

Tried it once and never forgotten but in a bad way.

Cheers

Iain

I can only desribe it in one word "Yuk".

As 20 years as a chef i can say i do not accept that as authentic Indian Curry and i tried it. sk

Edited by SausageKing

Cheers

Iain

Saw it.. tried it.. Not a result..

Sure its cheap.. But its only barely edible..

i have only been there 1 time and its quite acceptable for under a 100thb. if u liked malaysian aunties in BKK, you will like this. BTW, i was in Aunties neighborhood a few weeks ago in BKK & her restaurant was shuttered. Neighbors say she passed away 2 years ago....

my condolences go out to all TV gourmands...

Are there any other alternatives to royal india that are worth considering?

Like so many on here I miss a good curry and used to have it on a regular basis.

Obviously the place mentioned and The Curry Pot seem to be the places not to be bothering about by the sounds of things.

i have only been there 1 time and its quite acceptable for under a 100thb. if u liked malaysian aunties in BKK, you will like this. BTW, i was in Aunties neighborhood a few weeks ago in BKK & her restaurant was shuttered. Neighbors say she passed away 2 years ago....

my condolences go out to all TV gourmands...

It's really unacceptable. The other one at the Night Bazaar never has a customer. You can go to Royal India or the brother's place on the main soi in front - Kebab House is it?? and get real Indian food cheap. I've been going to the one on the main soi lately. It's cleaner. Same family - same food.

I used to be a regular at Hinlay's and the curries were excellent with Rogan Josh and Hinlay pork my personal favorites but I havnt been there for months as have moved away but would surprised if it has gone down hill. Prices used to around 100 baht for just the curry so won't cost you much so check it out. Curries are/were in 100gm portions hence the price.

Had a lovely Vindaloo last night. It was brought to me frozen from a friend who'd been in Phuket and was supplied by a company called Brit Indian Curries.

It was very tasty, all be it a little hot for my usual taste with indian food but the amount of meat used was very suprising .... loads of the stuff, all nice chunks of chicken.

They have their own website www.brit-indian-curries.com

I've tried one of the sausage king ones from rimping and all I can say is that he's lucky these guys are only in Phuket!

You can go to Royal India or the brother's place on the main soi in front - Kebab House is it?? and get real Indian food cheap. I've been going to the one on the main soi lately. It's cleaner. Same family - same food.

These are my favorites. The Kebab House is slightly more aesthetically pleasing, but I have not been to many good, cheap Indian restaurants that were all that tidy. :D

Had a lovely Vindaloo last night. It was brought to me frozen from a friend who'd been in Phuket and was supplied by a company called Brit Indian Curries.

It was very tasty, all be it a little hot for my usual taste with indian food but the amount of meat used was very suprising .... loads of the stuff, all nice chunks of chicken.

They have their own website www.brit-indian-curries.com

I've tried one of the sausage king ones from rimping and all I can say is that he's lucky these guys are only in Phuket!

These the ones they sell at Ladypie?

If so the one I tried recently was watery and bland, not something I'd try again.

Yeah, what loaded said.

Have you curryheads tried out Spicy Bollywood?

Almost directly across the moat from Spicy's, on Moon Muang.

Got a big writeup in Citylife a while ago.

I haven't been, but the co-owner goes to my gym. I heard him take an order for fresh garlic nan on his mobile just as he was leaving one day. He was a Bollywood actor, action star and rather famous in India. I can believe it, as he is quite fit looking and works out regularly.

Check it out, and let us know what you think.

Personal disclaimer: he doesn't know me, and I have no business interest in promoting the restaurant. Just curious how good it is.

Bla bla bla Indian Curry and Bollywood actors ... has anyone tried the north india's snakes curry eaten with garlic naan?

Come to think of it, the curry shop in Night Bazaar has no customers due to the non indian speaking staffs and they can't understand my special order when I spoke in tamil.....

well, don't expect a Bollywood star to eat there would you?

re .... inexpensive ... NOT surroundings

i often have a take away as my evening meal.

chomped through slowly in front of my computer and im a regular take awayer at mad dogs , the old bell etc

but for quality and value the chicken and potato curry with steamed rice at aroon rai 25 yards before spotlight bar cannot be beaten for 55 baht

yes ... 55 baht : )

its goooooood ... enjoy ... dave2

chinese pana.

re .... Dave....send your maid or any other thai for a take away at aroon rai and you will only pay thb40 tops for your fav curry

nahhh ... id have to pay them 20 baht to go ..... false ecconomy : )

anyway ... a newbie with a whole 6 posts knows this ? .... hhhmmmm ... enough said i think

enjoy .... dave2

chinese pana.

re .... Dave....send your maid or any other thai for a take away at aroon rai and you will only pay thb40 tops for your fav curry

nahhh ... id have to pay them 20 baht to go ..... false ecconomy : )

anyway ... a newbie with a whole 6 posts knows this ? .... hhhmmmm ... enough said i think

enjoy .... dave2

Whatever the price, they must be the most over rated Thai restaurant in CM. Though the chicken & potato curry is there best dish.

Indian food in CM is very mediocre but Kebab house is the best option imho and really cheap.

First off.... Aroon Rai... no way ! Overrated, unfriendly, unaccommodating.... and just not good for the price. In 8 yrs I've given them about 5 chances, 2x they were rude to me or the ppl I was with. I don't want to elaborate, but... I"m very charming in Thai, but I really cannot deal with how they spoke to me and handled a request.....just won't ever be back. If not for the location, we know how their business would be.

And newbies, don't confuse a massaman curry with Indian curry. It may somewhat approach the need to have a currified meat and potatoes thing over rice, but it's a horse of a different color (southern Thai or even Malay). Apples and pears, if you will. You can find a great massaman for cheap at the curry n rice place (khao raad gaeng)just north of Chang Puak Gate on the left side of Chang Puak (20 m from the corner) right next to a pretty good chicken biryani place (kaho mok gai). They're open from lunch or so, but I'm always there after 6pm any time up till 1 am really. Between clubs, or after work and before a night out,... i8t's a good place to get their version kharee gai (massaman's little bro) over rice for 15, 20, or 30 B. Thirty baht will really do you right. Gaeng Kiaw waan is pretty nice there too - try it over khanom jin noodles !

I'm no authority on the Indian food scene, but hear good things about the Bollywood thing, though apparently the owner can be overly friendly or too distant for comfort at different times. I most care about food, so I'll probably be out there soon. Some friends really swear by it n go to a buffet they have on.... weekends, is it ?

Royal India and the little kebab place next to Zoe are both very good. Had a few things at kebab house, always happy for what I get n the price. And it's made by the real people, if you know what I mean.

RTD has spoken