Open Savings Account For 2 People 2 Atm Cards

I have not opened a bank account in the West in over 10 years so I don't know what the deal is there now, but in the past, it's always been basically free. With just about any account, checking or savings, you at least get an ATM/debit card to access their ATM network for free. These days, they may charge for printed checks and have myriad other fees associated with ATM usage charges but at least when you open an account AND LOAN THE BANK MONEY BASICALLY FOR NOTHING, they give you the ATM card.

Today, I wanted to open a joing savings account for me and the misses and at two banks, SCB and Kasikorn, they wanted B 700 in fees [for the two ATM cards] to open such an account. Both bank accounts came with some sort of health-insurance component, that seemed to provide something like B 25k coverage for hospital care or something. I asked if they had a card without the extras and they said no. I told them I would think about it...having to pay US$ 25 to open a basically non-interest bearing saving account, that is also going to charge me B 20-B 30 every time I use even in-network ATMs for even things as simple as a cash withdrawal, seems beyond the pale to me :bah:

Seems to me I remember when I open my own K-Bank saving account a year or so ago, they had a card that only cost B 150. Still too much to pay but at least 1/2 the cost.

I have savings accounts with Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial Bank. On opening, both charged 200 baht for the ATM cards, may be more now, and annual fee of 200 baht for these cards. Usage of the cards within issuing bank areas is free. Use in outide areas is 20 baht (or more) per transaction.

You can open a joint savings account for free at Kasikorn Bank without problems. You use the savings book to make free withdrawals within same province. There is a charge of 20 B and up if you withdraw in another province.

If you want an ATM card they charge for that but it is up to you if you want it.

You mention that accounts in the West 10 years ago were free. I suggest you check what these banks in the West(USA) are doing these days? The news article I just read yesterday states that most if not all major US banks are changing dramatically these days and they are charging all sorts of fees now for most basic accounts and atm cards. A big move to recover their costs and show profit after all the losses incurred a year or two ago and due to the new regulations from the Fed.

Read this article: http://www.komonews..../105347583.html

K-Bank still have the basic debit card which costs 100 Baht plus an annual fee of 200 Baht, though I never remember paying the annual fee.

I suspect they get commission on the K-Max cards, that's why they pushed them. I seem to remember being pushed to take one when I have got new cards, but I always declined.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KDebit.aspx

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KMaxDebit.aspx

Other thing is though that there are basically no monthly fees or minimum monthly balance fees charged here, so while it seems like a lot, at least it is a user-pays thing. The monthly fee concept sucks for people who can't afford to keep a minimum balance in their accounts (most people in Thailand) - and its one of the reasons why there is a large un-banked population in some countries- where people have to cash pay checks at outrageous prices instead.

But, yes, go for the cards without the insurance extras and freebies and they'll be cheaper.