Under 50 Retirement

Speaking of ED Visas, I'm about to approach Chiang Mai uni once again to see what is going on. If the Professor concerned is not out on another 'doctor's visit', I'll try and find out what's happening and will let this forum know.

I have been warned that the visa/attendance is checked each 30 days.

I was in Phuket/Patong last week, and it was interesting to see that there were a great many tourists driving past the beach areas, and stopped by the police for passport checks.. Seems they're pretty tough if you don't carry your passport . Don't know if a copy is sufficient or not.

It is getting towards the end of the month when funds run low.

From reading his question and the answers being provided I'm confused as he? Not being a expert but I do have a retirement visa here in Pattaya but that isn't the issue is it! He is under 50 years of age, he is asking to stay here long term. What does a multi-entry has to do since he can't obtained a long term visa since he is neither 50 years of age or marry to Thai National. The purpose of applying for a Multi-entry is after you obtained one of the above?

Also, I have a retirement and so does a bunch of my friends who I help them through the process, all they ever gave Immigration in Pattaya is a receipt or contract for their long term stay in their resort or apartments along with the other requirements like bank account and pension verification certificate from their perpective Embassies? Never heard of you having to know someone or living here before you can apply? I have the forms there is no requirement nor has another ask me this question in 3 years. Seems like all he has to do is make border runs to Cambodia every 90 days or so?

:blink:

Mini-retirement huh? Wish I could afford that...or I wouldn't have had to spend 30 years working outside Thailand to earn enouugh funds so I could eventually retire in Thailand after I made it to age 50.

But anyhow, there are some strategies you can consider.

First of all, there is the "learning Thai" method. Actually take a Thai language course, go to the classes (4 hours a week shouldn't be too much fo your hectic social life, I hope). Get yourself a Ed visa to attend that Thai language school...the school will usually help you as long as you come up with their cash to get you that visa. You may have to make those border runs for the visa stamp every 90 days...but you will still be staying in Thailand.

If your willing and have the funds...get a 60 day Tourist visa now while they are currently free of cost (Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia are places you can go to try for the 60 day tourist visa). Extend that visa for 30 days in Thailand for 1900 Baht for the extension. That's 90 days (60 plus 30 extension) per visa. At the end of that visa take a short trip to Canboda (just picking a country at random). Sit around for a day or two just drinking beer, then go to the Thai consulate and get another 60 day tourist visa. Back to Thailand on another 60 days Tourist visa plus 30 day extension. Next time you need another tourist visa pick a different country (let's just say Laos, for instance). If you have a little sense and the funds to look like a real tourist you can stretch the string to at least 3 or 4 90 day visa+extensions sessions before any questions are asked by the immigration in Thailand. So you have a good year there anyhow with minimal disrptions except a little travel to adjacent countries for visas. Hopefully that isn't too much effort for you to stay in Thailand for a year or so?

Anyhow, there is two possibilities for you to consider. Also go online to the Hull Thai consulate in the U.K. and look carefully at their info packs on non immigrant O visas. They specify all the forms required and the documents you need (with examples you can download).

They will process U.S. passports for that 1 year multi-entry non immigrant O visa (cost 100 British pounds). I know they will accept U.S. passports...I just got that visa about a week ago with a U.S. passport from Hull...no problem.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You can apply for a one year business visa, multiple entries, just check around there is a famous company which can support this visa by supplying you required documents for around 12,000 bahts, then you can just apply for the visa by yourself at an ambassy (not all ambassy will give you this visa however, but they have a list of ambassy which give these visas)

Once you got this visa you can come as many time as you want in Thailand and stay up to 90 days each time, visa run or flight out of country every 90 days then. This visa is also good to open bank accounts.

pm if you need more details

Tourist Visas will give you 60 days each and can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration.

You could always study at a Thai Language School and get an Education Visa.

The course fees would be around 28,000 Baht

I was thinking about signing up to a school, but i'm not sure i want to spend my first few months at class and i'm not sure i want to offend anyone by not showing up, unless you know that this is common (i would gladly pay that price to get a year in thailand). is that common practice? do they expect you to show up? Are the tourist visas unlimited? i get a tourist visa before arriving, good fo 60 days. then i can boarder run for by land for another 30? And then how do i go about getting another 60 day tourist? and this process is forever repeatable? thanks

Hi, if you want an education visa to learn Thai, they will expect you to be in class most of the time. Immigration has been cracking down on this situation. Some friends of mine have been given Thai language tests at Chiang Mai immigration, and they were told that at the next check in, they need to be speaking Thai at 70 percent level.

I am 52 now. I have been living and working in Thailand, in Bangkok, since 2006. I am teaching here and I am planning to retire when I am 60. Do you think the same rules (800 000 Bahts, etc....) will apply to me or do they make a difference with people who have been living and working here before they retire?

Thanks a lot

To get the non im 1 year u need to be visting someone in Thailand or visiting family and u need proof.

I dont think anything that applied in 2005 counts for much :-)

Entirely consul dependant.. I know someone who got one august this year.. No proof..

Just shop around for the consul that wants your business.. Thailand wants to have grey area rules and no firm rules on any laws... then use that choice of theirs to your own advantage.

Where, please???

UK Hull.. Whatever 'proof' my brother provided he didnt mention to me and so cannot have required more than a self certification (he doesnt live here, just visits me a lot, so I would be his address etc).

You can apply for a one year business visa, multiple entries, just check around there is a famous company which can support this visa by supplying you required documents for around 12,000 bahts, then you can just apply for the visa by yourself at an ambassy (not all ambassy will give you this visa however, but they have a list of ambassy which give these visas)

Once you got this visa you can come as many time as you want in Thailand and stay up to 90 days each time, visa run or flight out of country every 90 days then. This visa is also good to open bank accounts.

pm if you need more details

Like I said, many ways to skin that cat.. Even the 'required documents' for 12,000 are not that hard to provide and dont always have to be from a Thai company, just need to be from 'a' company..

Easiest is probably a one year multi entry which gives stays of 90 days so can be worked to give 15 months.

If you live in UK then the Hull Consulate will probably issue one for visiting friends in Thailand.

Which visa is that, and is it easy to get? when i spoke to the thai consulate in ny they made it sound lilke a tourist visa is the only option. thanks soooo much

You will not get this Visa in The U.S

I use this visa and have done so for a few years. It is generally if you have thai family ie: children or a recognised marriage. You can extend it out to 15 months without extra cost because you get 90 days on each entry. Say your visa expires on the 1st November I would leave the country on say the 28th Oct re enter and get another 90 days. I can't see why they would exclude Americans tho.

Respectfully, I believe all of the prior Postings regarding extension of the 60-day Tourist Visa are WRONG, when suggesting paying for the 30-day extension at 1900Baht, for a max. of 90-days. IN FACT, if you have the typical double-entry 60-day Tourist Visa (currently free/no cost), if you do a 'Border Run' anytime prior to expiration (i.e. on 59th day), and then re-enter, you get another 60day entry stamp (free); THEN, at the end of that if you choose you can pay the 1900Baht for the additional 30-day extension, for a total of 150days on your original Tourist Visa!! (i.e. It works just like a multiple entry 1yr Visa, that can actually be extended to 2yrs, by doing a border crossing just prior to expiration, as has been noted by several prior articles).

Tourist Visas will give you 60 days each and can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration.

I was thinking about signing up to a school, but i'm not sure i want to spend my first few months at class and i'm not sure i want to offend anyone by not showing up, unless you know that this is common (i would gladly pay that price to get a year in thailand). is that common practice? do they expect you to show up? Are the tourist visas unlimited? i get a tourist visa before arriving, good fo 60 days. then i can boarder run for by land for another 30? And then how do i go about getting another 60 day tourist? and this process is forever repeatable? thanks

Respectfully, I believe all of the prior Postings regarding extension of the 60-day Tourist Visa are WRONG, when suggesting paying for the 30-day extension at 1900Baht, for a max. of 90-days. IN FACT, if you have the typical double-entry 60-day Tourist Visa (currently free/no cost), if you do a 'Border Run' anytime prior to expiration (i.e. on 59th day), and then re-enter, you get another 60day entry stamp (free); THEN, at the end of that if you choose you can pay the 1900Baht for the additional 30-day extension, for a total of 150days on your original Tourist Visa!! (i.e. It works just like a multiple entry 1yr Visa, that can actually be extended to 2yrs, by doing a border crossing just prior to expiration, as has been noted by several prior articles).

Easiest is probably a one year multi entry which gives stays of 90 days so can be worked to give 15 months.

If you live in UK then the Hull Consulate will probably issue one for visiting friends in Thailand.

Which visa is that, and is it easy to get? when i spoke to the thai consulate in ny they made it sound lilke a tourist visa is the only option. thanks soooo much

You will not get this Visa in The U.S

I use this visa and have done so for a few years. It is generally if you have thai family ie: children or a recognised marriage. You can extend it out to 15 months without extra cost because you get 90 days on each entry. Say your visa expires on the 1st November I would leave the country on say the 28th Oct re enter and get another 90 days. I can't see why they would exclude Americans tho.

Tourist Visa 60-day double entry works same way, can be extended out to 150days, if exit and re-enter prior to expiration, since you get an additional 60-days; and, then apply for the 30-day extension at the end of that!

Where is the wrong advice? You can extend any Tourist Visa entry by 30 days, one just needs to make the second entry before the visa expiration date. With a double entry tourist visa, one may extend both entries and be able to stay almost 180 days.

Your not making full use of the visa tho.. Your getting 150 days for 2 tourist visa entries and one extension..

If you 1) do 60 days, then extend 30 days for 1900 baht. 2) then visa run any border, arrive and repeat... You now get 180 days out of the double entry visa, not just the 150.. See the advantage.

And you dont get 2 years out of a 1 year visa, you can enter near the end of the 1 year and get a 90 day entry, so getting close to 15 months. the visa only controls entry and its valid to get 90 days at any time up to the end of the year.

Your not making full use of the visa tho.. Your getting 150 days for 2 tourist visa entries and one extension..

If you 1) do 60 days, then extend 30 days for 1900 baht. 2) then visa run any border, arrive and repeat... You now get 180 days out of the double entry visa, not just the 150.. See the advantage.

And you dont get 2 years out of a 1 year visa, you can enter near the end of the 1 year and get a 90 day entry, so getting close to 15 months. the visa only controls entry and its valid to get 90 days at any time up to the end of the year.

Ok. So how do i stay indefinitely on a tourist visa? When my 150 days are over, what are my options? If i fly back to america i can get another tourist visa (good for 150 days)? or can i just visit china and get another tourist visa (good for another 150 days)? can i just mail my passport to the consulate in ny and receive another tourist visa? Thank you everyone

can i just mail my passport to the consulate in ny and receive another tourist visa? The procedure for that would be:

Exit Thailand to say Vientiane PDR Lao (make copies of your passport)

Check into a hotel with your Passport

Send your passport via FedEx, DHL, etc. to a friend/family in NY State region with your Visa application form and Visa application fee

Have THEM mail the passport to the RT Consulate with THEIR return address

When they receive the Passport with Visa, have them mail it back to you via FedEx, DHL, etc. at your hotel in PDR Lao

Re-enter Thailand with your brand-spanking new Visa

i.e. you must be outside the Kingdom of Thailand when you apply for any Visa and it goes much easier with any RT Consulate if you are within their domicile when applying for same.

You can visit the Thai Consulate in Vientienne Laos and get a double tourist visa .

This would give almost six months.

So let me run thru this. i can get a double tourist visa at thai consulate in new york city. i then go to thailand for 60 days; go to immigration office (or whatever office IN thailand) and extend for 30. then i do a boarder run and use the 2nd entry on my double tourist. When my double tourist runs out; i can go to the thai consulate in Laos and get ANOTHER double tourist; 5 months after my original. This would get me ANOTHER 150 days. i can then repeat this process indefinitely? (i dont care whether its 180 or 150 days, i care about how to get back in asap) THANKS

can i just mail my passport to the consulate in ny and receive another tourist visa? The procedure for that would be:

Exit Thailand to say Vientiane PDR Lao (make copies of your passport)

Check into a hotel with your Passport

Send your passport via FedEx, DHL, etc. to a friend/family in NY State region with your Visa application form and Visa application fee

Have THEM mail the passport to the RT Consulate with THEIR return address

When they receive the Passport with Visa, have them mail it back to you via FedEx, DHL, etc. at your hotel in PDR Lao

Re-enter Thailand with your brand-spanking new Visa

i.e. you must be outside the Kingdom of Thailand when you apply for any Visa and it goes much easier with any RT Consulate if you are within their domicile when applying for same.

Thank you! super informative. So is that a route you suggest? Could i just get the thai tourist visa in Laos? Is there any reason why mailing to ny makes my life easier? or just as well i go to a consulate in laos? Thanks in advance

So let me run thru this. i can get a double tourist visa at thai consulate in new york city. i then go to thailand for 60 days; go to immigration office (or whatever office IN thailand) and extend for 30. then i do a boarder run and use the 2nd entry on my double tourist. When my double tourist runs out; i can go to the thai consulate in Laos and get ANOTHER double tourist; 5 months after my original. This would get me ANOTHER 150 days. i can then repeat this process indefinitely? (i dont care whether its 180 or 150 days, i care about how to get back in asap) THANKS

Basically yes. You can also extend your second entry at Immigration.

Officially there are no limits as to how many times you can do this but different Consulates impose there own rules from time to time and things do change.

After a while you may well find yourself hitched to one of the local Pu Yings. That would increase your options. ;)

The main possible advantage I can see to the NY Consulate / Courier route for Tourist Visas for your 2-5 year window is that your NYC RT Consulate might be willing to issue Visas without limitation whereas the PDR Lao & other regional Embassies / Consulates may be only willing to issue a limited number ... BTW great French food in Vientiane while you wait ...

so each 6-month validity 2-entry Tourist Visa will give you about one year with extensions

BTW there is no Honorary RT Consulate in the USA that you can say will be able to reliably issue Non-IMM 'O' visiting friends-type Visas for the 2-5 year window requested.

BTW2 the suggestion I offer may not be fool-proof but it does not require as above that you marry a Thai citizen ... there is a saying that "He who marries for money earns it," and it may be similar for marriage for visa purposes.

Edited by jazzbo

I know about 1 school that will process all paperwork for your ED visa for free. All you need to do is sign-up (less than 25.000 THB). You can then decide to show up in class or if going to school is not convenient, you can follow online classes via Skype. Send me a PM if you want more info.

True; but then you are paying 1900Baht extra for each 30-day extension.

OR, you can also just get 120days out of your double-entry Tourist Visa for FREE.

Where is the wrong advice? You can extend any Tourist Visa entry by 30 days, one just needs to make the second entry before the visa expiration date. With a double entry tourist visa, one may extend both entries and be able to stay almost 180 days.

True; but then you are paying 1900Baht extra for each 30-day extension.

OR, you can also just get 120days out of your double-entry Tourist Visa for FREE.

True, except you would need to do a border run after the first 60 days which in most cases and for most people is not free. And if you wan't to stay more than 120 days not getting the extensions will require more border runs than when getting the extensions. Also, depending on where you live getting extensions are more convenient for most people than doing border runs.

Sophon

Ok. So how do i stay indefinitely on a tourist visa? When my 150 days are over, what are my options? If i fly back to america i can get another tourist visa (good for 150 days)? or can i just visit china and get another tourist visa (good for another 150 days)? can i just mail my passport to the consulate in ny and receive another tourist visa? Thank you everyone

Why make it difficult on yourself? Get enlisted at a language school and go to any neighboring country to change your tourist visa in an ED visa. No more need to do border runs. You can simply report and extend your visa at the local immigration office. Send me a PM if you need more info.