Does Extension Of Stay Render Non-B Visa Invalid?

Hi,

I have got a multiple-entry Non-B with still 9 months on it.

Soon I will get a temporary work permit to be able to set up a BOI company here. I guess this WP will be valid for about 3 months. Then after we get the BOI certificate I can apply for an ordinary work permit.

What happens if I apply for an extension of stay on the temporary work permit? I guess I should get an extension of stay for those 3 months, right? So I wouldn't have to do a visa run.

Will then my original Non-B visa be rendered invalid by the extension of stay? Or can I still use it in case the extension of stay finishes before the enter-before date on the Non-B visa?

Cheers, Farrol

Simple answer - no; your non immigrant Type B visa is not invalidated per se by a Temporary Extension of Permission to Stay.

However why would you want to get a three month extension, when you can just go to the border get a stamp and come back with another 90 days permission in your passport?

Well a visa run seems like more hassle to me than applying for an extension of stay, or isn't it?

However why would you want to get a three month extension, when you can just go to the border get a stamp and come back with another 90 days permission in your passport?

Well a visa run seems like more hassle to me than applying for an extension of stay, or isn't it?

Temporary Extension of Permission to Stay on the basis of Business requires a significant amount of paperwork (1 cm+ thick) and may necessitate many return trips to immigration; compare this with a nice trip to a neighboring country for a long weekend as with your existing visa, you just need border stamps.

I am also really not sure how you would go about getting such an extension with just a temporary WP and no company papers.

In my opinion it would not be worth the effort, even if it was possible, bearing in mind that your new company may well not be able to get a further extension for you on the basis of business until there are more than two years' worth of accounts available.

However since you are setting up a BOI company, there may be mechanisms to circumvent this requirement.