Thai Visas In Uk

WHY DOES EVERONE GO ON AND ON ABOUT HULL ???

i feel i must post this item because i am fed up seeing everyone going on and on and on about Hull Thai consulate. I am from Wales and i use Cardiff Thai consulate when i need to and i wish to make the following points.

1. It is manned by two really nice ,pleasant ,helpful Welsh people who bend over backwards to help allcomers.I got my first non o immigrant visa two years ago supplying proof of my pension and on renewal this year i rang and they said no need for up to date evidence ,my details were already on their system.

2. Give them a ring for appointment and they,ll remember you when you get there.

3.Small friendly place,quiet,no queues,done in 5 minutes

4. Far easier to get to Cardiff than Hull by car and train ,M4 straight run or Paddington to Cardiff every hour .You can walk from station to consulate or 2 minute taxi ride.

The consulate is very close to the Millenium centre a mile from station.How easy is that for most of the south of England and Wales.

Ring Mike and he,ll sort you out without a trek to HULL T.AKE MY WORD FOR IT.

Good Info to know.

Maybe some other posters will weigh in on the benefits of using the Thai Consulate in Cardiff with their experiences as well. Knowledge is power and the more people are aware of ‘user-friendly’ thai consulates the better prepared they’ll be if/when they need a visa.

Edited by tod-daniels

Yes i am aware of Hull,s website but my main point is the ease of access to Cardiff from the south of England and Hull is way north east .A trip to Cardiff from anywhere south of Birmingham can be done there and back by midday ( 2 hours 30 mins from Paddington).By car from London one motorway and easy drive into Cardiff.To be met by 2 people who actually come into the rception area and sit with you and advise you.Also they are really helpful on the telephone.

I have never been to Hull but it couldn,t be better than my experience.The Cardiff staff are old school and give the personal touch.

I took a blank application from for my next visit and Mike wrote his name on the top to remind me who to ask for.I bumped into the boss on my first visit and he helped me fill in my form .

By mentioning 'just look at the website', I was referring to Hull Consulate's being very explicit about the bases on which they will grant both non-IMM 'O' and 'B' visas and detailed information on the documents required in each instance... and as has been mentioned, that they will deal with courier application from within both the UK and EU ... all this from a Yank.

The OP is referring to supplying proof of his pension

There's no problem anywhere to get a non-O if you are over 50.

Hull will give non-O based on visiting friend to everyone.

Can the OP verify if he got the non-O based on retirement or "visiting friends".

I used Cardiff for one of my SW based Brit consultants last year for a Non-B multi 1 year and it was excellent, all arranged at very short notice by email and phone and 'while you wait' service.

Last week Hull did the same for one of my French consultants.

The OP sounds like a Welshman bleating to me. So you get excellent service form your local Consulate. Well done. Does that mean that the service is any less in Hull?

I reckon if I find a Consulate that bends over backwards that DOESN'T have a well beaten path to their front door, I would <deleted> and NOT boast about it on this forum or anywhere. Usually when such a place becomes popular, it changes it's policies and becomes less friendly.

Edited by NanLaew

Can the OP verify if he got the non-O based on retirement or "visiting friends".

Yes i am over 50 and retired and that is the basis of my non o visa.

I have no experience of the non o for visiting friends only to say that the staff there did tell me they would give a non o visa if i had a letter from my thai girlfriend .I assume from that they accept applications for non o visa for visiting friends the same as Hull.

They are telephone friendly there and would advise any application requirements without poring through a website. Also Cardiff accepts postal applications from EU countries.I was told this by the consule personally.

The only one I have ever been to is Birmingham, last time Dec 2003..

Friend over 50, that comes to Thailand for the winter still uses Birmingham, says very quick and easy, yes he needs a letter + id from his Thai GF, but has never been questioned about the yearly '0' to visit friends.

He lives in Worcester so Birmingham is very close [Edit: just been talking to him he arrived this week and visited Birmingham last week for a new yearly '0']

Edited by ignis

I used Cardiff for one of my SW based Brit consultants last year for a Non-B multi 1 year and it was excellent, all arranged at very short notice by email and phone and 'while you wait' service.

Last week Hull did the same for one of my French consultants.

The OP sounds like a Welshman bleating to me. So you get excellent service form your local Consulate. Well done. Does that mean that the service is any less in Hull?

I reckon if I find a Consulate that bends over backwards that DOESN'T have a well beaten path to their front door, I would <deleted> and NOT boast about it on this forum or anywhere. Usually when such a place becomes popular, it changes it's policies and becomes less friendly.

Dear NANLAEW the old jokes are the best oops another rib gone (with reference to the bleating ,sheep joke of course)

I am a Welshman BUT i am not boasting .It isn,t my consulate.I was just trying to inform the forum that there is a perfectly good consulate far nearer and more convenient for some parts of the UK .Rather than selfishly <deleted> as you suggest i wanted to SHARE this info with my forum friends thank you very much

Looks like you got some of the usual Thaivisa attitude.

Or perhaps some usual Welsh attitude :whistling:

Your comment does not add to the subject matter of my posting merely shows an Englishmans attitude to the Welsh, so much for UNITED Kingdom eh. Your Avatar probably sums you up Sir Morpheous.Notice i spelt it right .E not I.haha.

Yes i am aware of Hull,s website but my main point is the ease of access to Cardiff from the south of England and Hull is way north east .A trip to Cardiff from anywhere south of Birmingham can be done there and back by midday ( 2 hours 30 mins from Paddington).By car from London one motorway and easy drive into Cardiff.To be met by 2 people who actually come into the rception area and sit with you and advise you.Also they are really helpful on the telephone.

I have never been to Hull but it couldn,t be better than my experience.The Cardiff staff are old school and give the personal touch.

I took a blank application from for my next visit and Mike wrote his name on the top to remind me who to ask for.I bumped into the boss on my first visit and he helped me fill in my form .

I dont live in the south of england mate,so is that me knackered then lol.Why travel anyway you can get the multi 0 posted to you.My mate uses Cardiff and he always complains about how useless they are

I have no experience of the non o for visiting friends only to say that the staff there did tell me they would give a non o visa if i had a letter from my thai girlfriend .I assume from that they accept applications for non o visa for visiting friends the same as Hull.

They are telephone friendly there and would advise any application requirements without poring through a website. Also Cardiff accepts postal applications from EU countries.I was told this by the consule personally.

You dont have to give proof of that in Hull so does that mean Hull IS BETTER

I am NOT saying who is best.I am merely stating there is a good service for those who wish to travel rather than use postal method nearer than Hull for some people.

Cardiff is fine for some people who may have travelled to Hull before .I suggest others whos visa applications fall into the grey areas of visiting friends lol continue to use Hull and anyone living nearer Cardiff use Cardiff for lets say more genuinec visa applications.

I understand now why Hull is so popular with the people who shouldn,t really get a long term visa.

I am NOT saying who is best.I am merely stating there is a good service for those who wish to travel rather than use postal method nearer than Hull for some people.

Cardiff is fine for some people who may have travelled to Hull before .I suggest others whos visa applications fall into the grey areas of visiting friends lol continue to use Hull and anyone living nearer Cardiff use Cardiff for lets say more genuinec visa applications.

I understand now why Hull is so popular with the people who shouldn,t really get a long term visa.

I have mates in their early 40s who have got a 1year multi 0 in Hull.They apply and say they will be looking for a business

Hull also issue visas to those in EU countries. I have very recent personal experience of this.

Also, if applying to them for a Non-Immigrant 'O' on the basis of converting it to 'retirement' status when in Thailand, no proof of income is required. Just a straight forward single sheet application form and a signed declaration that you can support yourself financially when there. Again, 'been there, just done that'.

The UK consulates are all honorary, and the consuls do not recieve a salary for their work. The visa fees are theirs for providing the service, so I find it difficult to understand why some require more paperwork than others, especially during a period when tourist visas are free. Having said that, some only allow a single entry free, and others charge an 'administration fee.'

Hull also issue visas to those in EU countries. I have very recent personal experience of this.

Also, if applying to them for a Non-Immigrant 'O' on the basis of converting it to 'retirement' status when in Thailand, no proof of income is required. Just a straight forward single sheet application form and a signed declaration that you can support yourself financially when there. Again, 'been there, just done that'.

The UK consulates are all honorary, and the consuls do not recieve a salary for their work. The visa fees are theirs for providing the service, so I find it difficult to understand why some require more paperwork than others, especially during a period when tourist visas are free. Having said that, some only allow a single entry free, and others charge an 'administration fee.'

Update to the above.

Just got my passport, complete with nice new Multi Entry Non Immigrant 'O' visa, in the post today. Excellent service from Hull, turned round the same day. I wish I could say the same about the postal service. That took a week each way!

• 2 weeks later...

I think more people use Hull for its rapid and efficient postal service.

Exactly - POST !!! - what on earth is the OP jumping up and down about -

driving about the congested UK road-system... for what ??? Waste of time

and fuel - POST to a consulate one day ( yes, to Hull or elsewhere, they are

great ) - get the stamped passport back the next day or day after. Absolute

piece of p-ss. I've had 2 Multiple-Entry Non-O's, NO LETTER from Thailand

ever needed - from Hull. And no, my sister doesn't work there, i'm from the

south-coast.