Do You Live In The " Modern World " ?

tigerfish

Strange questions.. that also seem to marry 'Thai' things with 'non-modern' things.

'Thai' things first:

* I regularly wear a farmer's shirt

* speak fairly proficient Thai

* no particular religion but Buddhism is as good as any.

* enjoy Thai food, traditions and culture; why else would I be here.

Lacking modern conveniences:

* Big LED/LCD TV. (Have an older Sony tube)

* Espresso machine

* I could use a really nice (50-70K+) mattress. On the floor or otherwise. ;)

That's about it.

Strange questions.. that also seem to marry 'Thai' things with 'non-modern' things.

'Thai' things first:

* Espresso machine

That's about it.

that was exactly my point winnie and why i worded the questions in such a way. i was interested to see if the holier than holy who take all things thai to be gospel and knock those of us who dare to complain about anything here, would crawl out of the wood work and actually show their hand. ie how thai they really do live when it comes to every day things. while most would think that having a self flushing toilet and hot shower to be the norm it isn't always necessary so in some parts of thailand, but do they go to such extremes when trying to prove how much more thai the really are than the rest of us. wink.gif the other questions i just really threw in the get a general feeling and as kind of a curve ball to distract away from my real reason for posting the thread.

all in all it seems as if all the answers are on a general par and what i would have expected. with the odd one or two answers against the trend. must admit i had a little chuckle at kawasakis answers. the sad truth is though that if it had been posted by another couple of members of this forum, names of which i shall not mention. wink.gif i might very well have believed them. sad.gif

'Thai' things first:

* Espresso machine

That's about it.

that was exactly my point winnie and why i worded the questions in such a way. i was interested to see if the holier than holy who take all things thai to be gospel and knock those of us who dare to complain about anything here, would crawl out of the wood work and actually show their hand. ie how thai they really do live when it comes to every day things. while most would think that having a self flushing toilet and hot shower to be the norm it isn't always necessary so in some parts of thailand, but do they go to such extremes when trying to prove how much more thai the really are than the rest of us. wink.gif the other questions i just really threw in the get a general feeling and as kind of a curve ball to distract away from my real reason for posting the thread.

all in all it seems as if all the answers are on a general par and what i would have expected. with the odd one or two answers against the trend. must admit i had a little chuckle at kawasakis answers. the sad truth is though that if it had been posted by another couple of members of this forum, names of which i shall not mention. wink.gif i might very well have believed them. sad.gif

Despite your hidden agenda, I thought the poll was quite a good idea. It's always interesting to see how people live and think about their circumstances. I'm not sure why you would be so interested in exposing the "holier than thous" though. Each to his own?

'Thai' things first:

* Espresso machine

That's about it.

Despite your hidden agenda, I thought the poll was quite a good idea. It's always interesting to see how people live and think about their circumstances. I'm not sure why you would be so interested in exposing the "holier than thous" though. Each to his own?

yes exactly each to their own, but when you get certain members coming on here pulling up others for holding an opinion and the giving the old " if you dont like it " line. then that theory sadly goes out the window.

like i have said on this forum many times before, we are near enough all in the same boat being guests of this country for what ever reason. but, some members of this forum seem to think that they are far more superior than others just because of the amount of time they have been here, can speak thai, have more money or live a certain way in different parts of of the land, wear fishing pants, eat som tam or whatever. the general fact is that no matter how hard they try to convince themselves and others they aint and never will be thai. period !

and therefore no more better than anyone else. wink.gif

Edited by tigerfish

I'm not even sure the OP asked the right question.

First, there's how you are living as compared to how the nation over all lives.

Second, there's how Bangkokians live, as compared to people out in the rural areas.

A little over a year ago we went upcountry to visit the family in Issan. Overall, the house was okay...in fact, nicer than I had imagined it would be. But there was still an out-house. A rather new one. They were quite proud of it. But it was still essentially a pit toilet. And it was for two family houses adjacent to each other.

The kitchen was depressing. A couple of bottled gas burners. On the other hand, they had a color television. Trash service was easy. Throw it out in the trees and bushes surrounding the house.

1. do you have a shower with hot water or do you use a large water filled tank and pot/bucket to wash with ?

Cold shower.

2. is your toilet self flushing or do you have to use water from the tank to flush away your business ?

Push to flush... whatever you call it.

3. do you sleep in a bed or on a mattress or matt on the floor ?

Matt on the floor.

4. do you like or can you eat spicy thai food ?

Yes, certainly.

5. do you wear any particular types of clothing that might be construed as being thai ? ie a sarong.

No.

6. have you converted to Buddhism ?

I'm Agnostic.

7. can you speak any thai ?

Native tongue.

8. do you like to think that you mix well with both family and friends that are thai or do you keep to yourself and your farang ways ?

I mix very well.

9.wash clothes by hand or machine ?

By hand.

10. do you observe and respect thai traditions and customs ?

Yes.

11. can you cope with the heat and just use fans or is the air conditioning on 24/7 ?

Fans.

1. do you have a shower with hot water or do you use a large water filled tank and pot/bucket to wash with ?

Shower in the house, water tank with bowl in the gym.

2. is your toilet self flushing or do you have to use water from the tank to flush away your business ?

Same as above

Bed with very expensive matress, a must for me.

Too spicy gives me hiccups every time, I like it but it doesnt like me.

5. do you wear any particular types of clothing that might be construed as being thai ? ie a sarong.

Sarong after shower but never outside the house.

No

Always speak Thai here, not quite fluent but don't have many problems.

8. do you like to think that you mix well with both family and friends that are thai or do you keep to yourself and your farang ways ?

Mixing is essential in the countryside or it would be a very lonely existence and be like a baby having to have the Mrs with me at all times.

Machine mainly but wash my workout gear by hand after training

Yes

11. can you cope with the heat and just use fans or is the air conditioning on 24/7 ?

I could cope but prefer A/C, pretty much 24/7.

prefer bath. shower also ok.

self flushing

bed

yes, yes

no

no

yes, fairly well i think

i dont have any friends. family are all thai, i get along fine with them.

nanny washes my hand.

uh, yeah

ac 24/7 all the way