Do You Live In The " Modern World " ?

tigerfish

hey all, i just felt like chucking this one out there and in particular to some of the members that seem to be shall we say defenders of the realm when it comes to people expressing criticism or complaining about certain things in thailand. so lets just see how thai they really are when it comes to everyday living and menial activities i guess what i am really trying to say by asking these questions is how far all of you go when it comes to converting to things out here that might not be considered the norm in your countries of birth.

here goes then.

1. do you have a shower with hot water or do you use a large water filled tank and pot/bucket to wash with ?

2. is your toilet self flushing or do you have to use water from the tank to flush away your business ?

3. do you sleep in a bed or on a mattress or matt on the floor ?

4. do you like or can you eat spicy thai food ?

5. do you wear any particular types of clothing that might be construed as being thai ? ie a sarong.

6. have you converted to Buddhism ?

7. can you speak any thai ?

8. do you like to think that you mix well with both family and friends that are thai or do you keep to yourself and your farang ways ?

9.wash clothes by hand or machine ?

10. do you observe and respect thai traditions and customs ?

11. can you cope with the heat and just use fans or is the air conditioning on 24/7 ?

me/we do not have hot shower and wash/shower from a large clay type tank filled with water, toilet is flushed from the tank. we sleep in a bed, but in the day sleep on the floor in the afternoons when the business quiet. can eat all kinds of thai food, that doesn't mean i dont eat things i miss from home. usually i am a shorts and t shirt kind of guy and occasionally wear the odd sarong in the mornings when i wake up. shirt and trousers and i would look like i had just stepped out the shower after half an hour. no i am and have not converted to Buddhism. can get by from day to day with the thai ive picked up along the way. mix well with both family and friends and enjoy doings most things with them, doesn't mean though that i will sit through 2 hours of thai t.v. movies every night and be happy. sad.gif wash clothes both by hand and machine. respect thai traditions and customs and am more than happy for my wife to go about doing her Buddhist thing as long as it works both ways and she has the same respect for things that i like to do. and finally im o.k. with the heat, fans in the day air con at night.

1. do you have a shower with hot water or do you use a large water filled tank and pot/bucket to wash with ?

We have a shower with a water heater

2. is your toilet self flushing or do you have to use water from the tank to flush away your business ?

Push a lever to flush

Real king size bed containing cute Thai lady :P

Yup, not as lethal as wifey mind

5. do you wear any particular types of clothing that might be construed as being thai ? ie a sarong.

I admit to wearing a sarong, but not in public.

Yup

Not really

8. do you like to think that you mix well with both family and friends that are thai or do you keep to yourself and your farang ways ?

Not really

We have a washer and a dryer (for those damp days)

Not really

11. can you cope with the heat and just use fans or is the air conditioning on 24/7 ?

95% fans only, aircon gets fired up on those hot sticky evenings

So how do I fare?

Push a lever to flush

Real king size bed containing cute Thai lady :P

I admit to wearing a sarong, but not in public.

Yup

Not really

Not really

We have a washer and a dryer (for those damp days)

Not really

95% fans only, aircon gets fired up on those hot sticky evenings

So how do I fare?

+1 greenie for you mr crossy. straight and to the point, with no porkies pies told, me thinks. now lets see if any of the holier than holy can crawl out of the wooden work and give an honest reply. wink.gif

Hot shower for me.

Mine does not self flush, I have to manally press the button on top.

Same as Crossy, except sometimes its 2 thai ladies.

No, I don't like Thai food of any description.

Nope, Im a t-shirt/shorts/flip flops man.

Nope

Only what Ive learnt from bar girls.

I work with Thai's, unfortunately that is about as far as my interaction goes, I dread the time when we "need" to head up to the village.

I dont wash my clothes, thats what the missus is for, she uses a machine.

Yes, on dry public holidays days I dont drink alcohol, I also swerve to avoid the monks walking up the middle of my Soi at 7.00am every morning.

Heat does not bother me too much however my bedroom ac is turned on every night, I like to snuggle up under the doona.

Edited by Spoonman

Push a lever to flush

Real king size bed containing cute Thai lady

No

No

No

Not really

We have a washer and a dryer

My wife not me

Fan daytime. AC nighttime

Showers with water heaters

Self flushing

A Bed

Can take it or leave it.

Sarong

Yes

Yes, not as good as it should be after 24 years, but good enough.

Mix easily with my Thai family, but I have my "farang" ways

Laundry service

Yes

Fans day time, AC set at 27 at night

Edited by stander

1. do you have a shower with hot water or do you use a large water filled tank and pot/bucket to wash with

both.

both

bed

love it spicy

only the amulet that was a gift from my husband and the necklace that was a gift from father in law (I am not the type to say no to jewelry :D )

I am not the type to convert to anything

Yes

I am adaptable

both

depends on which ones

fan

What a strange thing to post.

1. Hot power showers my good man I am English and l have hot baths too.

2. l have an automatic self flushing electric toilet system which has sensors that switch on when human waste is present .

3. l sleep in my electrically monitored cooled water bed with lots of pillows.

4. l eat some Thai food and long as it is not hot or spicey, silly question.

5. Good God man what the bloody hel_l is a " sarong " is that one of them ladyboy thingies or what.

6. Church of England my good man " Long live the Queen ".

7. What's wrong with speaking English are you retarded.

8. What family !!! l do not mixed with peasants or anyone that has not got a Phd.

9. l do not have a clue what you are on about my good man l have servants that carry out such chores.

10. Thai what !! For God sake what is wrong with you my good man all my servant are on there knees when l attend breakfast.

11. Dam hot here you know, Air- Conditon throughout the house even the garage because my fleet of cars have to be kept at an ambient temperatures.

My 5 kilometer driveway has automatic fine spray atmospheric machines to cool air all the way to my 52 room Mansion.

12. l will add one more my good man, l have a sign at my entrance gates that displays " Hawkers, Gipseys, and Beggars will be shot on sight "

You never thought of that did you.

Edited by Kwasaki

1. Shower with hot water heated by one of those wall mounted jobs that makes me wonder if I will get electrocuted and discovered lying in the shower scalded and shrivelled up like a prune.......

2. toilet self flushing; A proper toilet is more efficient and wastes less water than playing pass the bucket.

3. sleep in a bed: I am not going to have centipedes and other wiggly creatures that come out only at night feasting on my eyes and assorted exposed flesh.

I like to put the Heinz chili sauce on alot of things.

5. do you wear any particular types of clothing that might be construed as being thai ? ie a sarong: Sarongs only look good on Thais. If a white guy wears one, it just sceams out, hello my name is Bruce and I will be spreading my butt cheeks for you tonight. My friend wears one sometimes and he looks sexy. I wear it and I look like a really ugly transvestite. The typical White foreigner wears one and she looks like trash. A plump Thai lady wears one and she becomes seductive. I'd like to wear some of the "Thai" clothes, but they were designed for the taut lean frames of Thais and not for pudgy foreigners. I have a special outfit for Thai events that I am supposed to wear. I look like a walmart shopper on crack.

6. have you converted to Buddhism ? Don't get me started about religious beliefs and how they hold back society's advancement and improvement.

7. can you speak any thai ? A little bit. Learning disability, I guess. It's all the consonants. .

8. do you like to think that you mix well with both family and friends that are thai or do you keep to yourself and your farang ways ? I have successfully avoided interaction with friends' Thai family members. I have my own family thank you, nor do I want to meet someone's 2X divorced aunt who rips out the hearts of men for fun. My thai friends often restrict where I am allowed to go. I can't be the only one that is told, what??? you want to go there? No. Not good. The key to successful relationships is to minimize interaction with the inlaws and assorted relatives.

9.wash clothes by hand or machine ? I just hand it to the Thai lady and the laundry,

10. do you observe and respect thai traditions and customs ? Hmmm. No. Here's a classic reason why I cannot not. I ask my friend why he isn't interested in working the late shift at the hospital. He replies, and bear in mind this is a grown man with a university education, I am scared. Scared of what I ask? Ghosts. He serously believes that ghosts will get him at night. So no, there are many customs I can do without.

Heat is ok if you stay out of direct sun and drink water. Usually I do not use A/c in the day and only at night for sleeping. IMy nose gets stuffy otherwise. (BTW, if you suffer too, there are some good threads on filter cleaning in the forums.)

Hot water shower but only use the hot water when it is cold outside (rarely).

Modern flushing Toto toilet.

Mattress

Hotter and spicier than most Thais, when I can get it that way.

Cheapish sandals everywhere?

Not really, but have always had non-deity Jubu tendencies

Some

Comme ci, comme ça

Machine

Observe, nope, respect, as much as I respect any traditions, not much, but not less than any other

Fans except during very extreme heat/humidity (rare)

(1)Yes, I love my hot shower,( 2) I squat, and have not used toilet paper for 21 years.3, Mattress,as do most Thais in Isarn ,now. 4.Absolutely .I have no problem with eating Chilli,and have been eating chilli ,since I first arrived here, in 1977. 5, I do wear sarongs in my house, not in public, as such. 6 No. 7 Yes ,I can communicate effectively in Thai, Central Thai, but my problem is nobody speaks it here, in Isarn, My Thai is actually very good.8. Yes , except they don't speak Thai I am pretty well integrated into my local community.9. My lady DEMANDS a machine. Not me. Me ? I am happy to wear the same pair of shorts for 16 years, without washing them , but she gets paranoid about after after about 12 hours .10,Yes ,those are worth it. Songkhran ,was a beautiful thing. Now has been degraded . So sad. But do get annoyed at the number and amount of "Tambons" 11.Hate Air-Con, do NOT have any , in my house. I love heat. Have fans ,which my lady turns on at every available opportunity ,and I turn off ,as equally quickly. She won't learn ,says it is because of the mosquites, Bullshit,. I repeat ,I love heat. But if it gets over 40 ,yes I succumb

only proper showers with scalding hot water...I don't feel clean otherwise. I've attempted the pot/bucket method a few times over the years and can't help feeling like i need another hot shower when i'm done.

self flushing, and don't know how i ever lived without a bum gun....I find now i'm uncomfortable just using paper on visits home :-(

Big comfy bed cuddled up under the duvet with the A/C cranked down low

Yes....i like a bit of a bite, though i draw the line on the stuff that brings tears to my eyes

Never in public...I do have a couple of those "fishermen's pants" things that are good as pyjamas during the cool season but always cringe slightly to myself when the backpackers wander through Siam with them on under their hemp shirts.

No....I'm more of an agnostic, though i must confess i find it Buddhism interesting.

Nearly fluent

Yes...I mix well with the inlaws when the situation calls for it but I must admit i enjoy a little "me" time on the odd occasion :-)

Machine....who has time to hand wash?

I do when it suits me or when i have too....or when "traditions/customs" don't contradict my own customs and traditions

I have basically run from airconditioned bubble to bubble for the past 9 years :-) I hate the heat and perspire profusely if out in the open to long!

Ok I like this thread so I would like to participate - but am not in Thailand full time - so when I am there

Bucket

Bucket

Bed

Yep enjoy spicy

Only a towel from bathroom to bed room

I like some of the ideals but just try to live according to my personal beliefs

I learnt some thai and spoke regularly.........nobody understood....:D

Taken a long time but I think they now accept me for who I am

Have an old twin tub.....bought it the first time I saw my wife scrubbing clothes, still going well, so is the twin tub!:)

I go to the temple..on occasion......but feel my presence is a little disrupting although made very welcome. Other customs take in my stride

Fans are fine I sleep well in the night hot or cold

hot water, bathroom with lizards, snails, cockroaches, sometimes a scorpion

self flushing

imported 'slow-foam' mattress on the floor, as I prefer

sure but no MSG, too spicy kills the taste though

wear indonesian sarongs in the morning

no thanks, and thais are no buddhist either

after 12yr it became my second language

never interested in gf's family, current gf is a philippina who is not pre-occupied with family

full time burmese maid / cold water washmachine / rinse with vinegar to kill bacterias

not impressed, and I don't stand still for the national anthem either that's their own problem

have no aircon, too complicated in my wooden house, never think of getting one

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Hot water shower but usually on the lowest temperature just to take the chill off. If I`m with a bird, it`s always cold water as things start hotting up soon enough.

I flush away, but if I`d had a curry and a skinfull the night before, then it`s a normal flush plus a half a dozen buckets of water.

A bed normally, all depends on where I end up.

No.

I dress the same and blend in well with any average Thai on the street. Hate the typical farang style attire and Thai wanabe outfits.

No. Buddhism has continued for thousands of years and extremely well without my support.

Only the basics and try my best to converse with my neighbors.

Mix well with everyone and make an effort to do so.

My girlfriend does all that. Otherwise what`s the point in keeping her?

Yes. As in Rome........

I love the heat. That`s due to my hot mediterranean Spanish blood on my mother`s side of the family. Hate the cold.

Edited by Beetlejuice

1) Have a hot water heater that I will use when the the water is running. When the water is not running it is a cold shower from the bucket.

2) Have both kinds.

3) Sleep in a bed.

4) I eat thai food but the wife tones it down a bit.

5) Not really. Shorts and t-shirts.

6) No, but I do go with my wife to the temple when she goes. It makes her happy and if she is happy then I am happy.

7) Speak some thai.

8) Mix well enough with family and friends.

9) Washing Machine.

10) Yes

11) A/C only at night to sleep. Fans in the rest of the house

Modern shower with heater - but I take cold showers in the hot season and after exercise.

Modern Toilet

Bed - Unless I'm camping

I love spicy food - I've eaten it all my life, long before coming to Thailand.

Yep, I regularly wear my fisherman's pants around the house (and on the beach)

No

Yes

Almost all of the people I socialize with are Thai.

If they need washing by hand then, yes by hand, but everything else goes in the washing machine. Ironing gets done at the laundry.

Some I do, some I do not.

Our aircon is rarely on except we put it on for two hours when we first retire to bed. We do use far more it in the hot season but certainly not 24/7

Big raindrip shower with water heater.

Self flushing, come on we arent living in the dark ages.

Im too big to sleep on a mat on the floor my back would kill me.

Love Thai food.. eat even spicier then the wife.

Thai fisherman pants around the house jeans when going out

I am atheist no religion for this guy. Science is the way to go

Of course i do unfortunately not enough and there are no language schools close. I can hold coversation but real speciffic things are hard to explain.

I have always kept to myself in Holland and here. I am who I am but have no problem having fun with Thais while fishing or socialising.

Machine of course.

Only if if it is not too crazy and outdated.

Fan during the day aircon at night

Real Shower... though I don't use the water heater unless it's cool out.

Regular toilet.

In a bed when we are at home, but I have slept on the floor when visiting friends or relatives.

Yes and yes.

No, usually shorts & sandals when I'm not working. I'll put on a shirt if we have visitors or go out.

No, but I respect it as a philosophy & think that the world might be a better place if there were more Buddhists & fewer Fundamentalists of various sorts.

I understand Thai fairly well, but don't speak it as well as I understand it.

I get along well with her Thai friends and family.

By machine.

Yes.

Usually, just fans, but I use the AC at night during the hot season.

12. l will add one more my good man, l have a sign at my entrance gates that displays " Hawkers, Gipseys, and Beggars will be shot on sight "

You never thought of that did you.

Do you need a butler, chauffeur, handy man, body guard, at a very reasonable salary ? yes, then l am you man. :D

No my good man l do not need any of those, these chinese looking kind of people do that for me.

Do you have a pilots licence for my Helicopers and my Learjet 36.

How are you with 747's, l've just sacked my last pilot, bloody fool spilt the water in the swimming taking off you know.

You can PM my secretary.

Cold water shower (cold by choice)

Self-flushing

Bed

Like and can eat mildly spicy Thai food

No. Boxers for me at home. Used to wear a pakama when I was younger.

I study it and generally try to apply the principles, but have not "converted".

Can speak and read Thai at an adequate level. Can write it poorly

No family here. Some in Laos. Get on fine with diaspora family and friends abroad (Australia/France). Do lots of things with them when on home leave. Don't like village life at all.

Both. Mrs Xang does that. I wash the dishes.

I think so, but we don't visit temples (except as tourists), other than Santi Asoke in Bangkok (not a "temple" in the conventional Thai sense).

Fans at home during the day. A/C on 26 overnight. Definitely A/C at work.

Edited by Xangsamhua

Wash? What's that?

Here's home. Gotta heat the snow over a fire for water. Body hair grows right through my long johns. Keeps me warm at night.

Skeena_hunt_17.jpg

Hello there l thought l saw another tent l'm on the mountain to the back of you on the right. :rolleyes:

Hot and cold water shower

Self-flushing

Bed

I can eat mild spicy Thai food.

Sarong at night. Shorts and shirt daytime

no

Can speak a little that my step daughter taught me years ago but now I am allmost deaf so that put a stop to the learning.

Yes. Mix well with both family and friends.

Both.

yes.

I like the heat. If it is very hot, daytime, then I use a fan and only use the a/c at night

to cool the bedroom. Goes off before I go to sleep.

Cold water shower

Use water from the tank

Mattress on floor

I can eat mild spicy Thai food. No choice - no 'western' food available

Never

No, no interest

Minimal; understand a lot more than I can speak

Mix as required, don't go out of my way to socialise with anyone!

Machine

Within reason, family I'm with are not overly 'traditional'

I like the heat. No aircon, sleep with fan on

Do you have a pilots licence for my Helicopers and my Learjet 36.

How are you with 747's, l've just sacked my last pilot, bloody fool spilt the water in the swimming taking off you know.

You can PM my secretary.

I can pilot a Spitfire or Hurricane but unfortunately no room for you, drat and double drat. :crazy:

220px-Triumph_X75_Hurricane.jpgTriumph X-75 Hurricane. 250px-1974_Triumph_Spitfire4.jpgTriumph Spitfire 4 (Mark 1)

No...No !!!!!! these are part of my private collection old chap, l only allow myself to use them. :D

Edited by Kwasaki

Shower.

Self flushing

Bed

Don't mind spicy.

No

Absolutely not.

Only a little.

Very few Thai friends who I find quite painful to mix with.

Machine

Absolutely not.

AC in the evenings and some afternoons.

I'm happily a lost cause and will not be converting to plastic-Thai any time soon.