Jet Ski Scam Out Of Control Tourists Have No Hope Of Being Treated Fairly

saintofsilence

Took an hour off this morning to see what's what,saw plenty of watchers,but no scam,seemed as though the Mikes lot knew there was some attention to themselves Rang the tourist police telling them of the problems,they are aware of it but just passed around from one person to the next

the most active time is about 3.30 onwards in the afternoon till finish time , but i have seen them earlier

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took an hour off this morning to see what's what,saw plenty of watchers,but no scam,seemed as though the Mikes lot knew there was some attention to themselves Rang the tourist police telling them of the problems,they are aware of it but just passed around from one person to the next

They where at it again this afternoon, business as usual.

Here's another point of view...ever seen the hoons who rent jet skis? Many of them are drunk with a false sense of bravado and speed into areas where they are not meant to go. Also, there is debris floating in the sea, sometimes solid enough to cause damage. Glad there are now no-go areas clearly marked by bouys for swimmers' safety.

Does it surprise me that the jetskis are returned with scratches, no matter how small? Not at all. But of course, some operators are scammers also. So, I believe the truth is halfway between the views of irresponsible jetski users and scam-artist operators.

As someone else said, best to take a photo of the darn thing before you scoot off.

and what will a photo prove-----------they are all good liars do you really think they are not capable of saying the picture was taken some other time and you edited the dates !!

with police help they can and will do anything-------------attacked huh if one attacked me he would be in hospital a long time and no doubt i would be in m / house even longer---------------we are the prey and they are the hunters ----------learn !!

They're capable of claiming whatever the hel_l they want doesn't make it true and hard to dispute immediate photographic evidence even for a crook of a Thai. Moreover, just like making eye contact with a potential mugger they don't want to be exposed and know that you're on guard and are generally cowards so if you stand up to them and have the evidence before hand it's a deterrent..The problem is besides the pictures being taken if something happens you should also not deal with the local police but call the tourist police, they aren't perfect but they're better then the locals who are most definitely in on it.

Lived across from a police lieutenant in a gated community in Phuket and his house was one of the nicest, biggest houses in a very well off community, on a Thai policeman's salary? No way!! Found out because he went on a 2 day drug binder only 2 weeks after we moved in and went around beating his mia noi? For about 24 hours and one point not knowing who he was I went outside looking because she was screaming bloody murder in their garden and I could tell he was throwing large rocks at her as she was cowering somewhere around the pool area but I couldn't see much over his privacy wall though I was standing up on mine.

He noticed me watching and I had made some comments and he shouted out at me and challenged me but my looking was at least enough for him to stop and go back in his house and things finally tapered off and for the next year I never saw or heard another episode like that thank goodness.. Being new in the neighborhood I was a bit concerned and rattled and I also have my own family but a few months later they also made as much contrition to me as you can expect from a Thai that has lost face a few month later being more sociable and also more contrite in other ways..

It seems he realized he almost broke rule #1 for a mafia boss and that is never to defecate in your own neighborhood..

He was a classic mafia god father image though doing things for the locals like hiring an aircastle every year at given holidays for the local children to play etc.. Thinking back now he was probably JJ's boss..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Lets not let ths thread die.

Such a sad way for holiday makers to experience.

How about flyers warning of the scam?

Unfortunately I can't give them out as I live in Singapore.

I tell you what I can do, I can send alerting messages to the local papers highlighting the scam there, indeed , I could include this web page.

What do you think?

Lets not let ths thread die.

Such a sad way for holiday makers to experience.

How about flyers warning of the scam?

Unfortunately I can't give them out as I live in Singapore.

I tell you what I can do, I can send alerting messages to the local papers highlighting the scam there, indeed , I could include this web page.

What do you think?

Thats a great idea the more media attention it gets the better , watching daylight robbery happen to innocent victims everyday makes me feel sick they know they are being watched and don't care.

But it is not just one group it is a widespread problem along Pattaya beach but the most hits occur between mikes and the last lot close to walking st.

they also operate the chair businesses .

Edited by saintofsilence

Just saw two scams in progress one near mike shopping the other outside royal garden .

It is dissapointing to see no local media coverage

This is a very good point. How many newspapers do we have in this city now? Four? Five? Im losing count. These scams have been common knowledge for a long time now, lets face it, its nothing less than criminal extortion. So many people must have had their holidays ruined by these criminals who obviously have carte blanche from the powers that be here to continue with their activities. And where are our fearless journalists when they have a real story to expose? Having numerous photo opportunities with local dignitaries, or appearing on our tv screens advising the people of pattaya on the correct way to salivate when in close proximity to the mayor, anyone in uniform etc. "We dare where others keep silent"? Would be funny if it wasnt so nauseating. Makes you realise there just isnt enough vomit in the world!:sick:

Maybe someone should start an organization of Falang volunteers who work with the police to protect and inform and assist tourists while visiting Thailand.

Morelike someone watching your back.They are fiery little bastards but a clip around their ears would send them spinning Nearly came to that a couple of days ago intervened in a scam,but the guy got away with it probably because there were 2 farangs at the back of me and 3 Indians or whatever they were being accused of damage.Just sheer weight of numbers got them off

the most active time is about 3.30 onwards in the afternoon till finish time , but i have seen them earlier

I would have thought these scammers will scam whenever there's an opportunity, not by the clock. Why would they waste valuable scamees?

The part I find most disturbing is that the tourist police have apparently been advised to stay out of it. <deleted>?

Maybe someone should start an organization of Falang volunteers who work with the police to protect and inform and assist tourists while visiting Thailand.

Leave the police out of it. They're part of the problem. A group of heavy Farang hanging arond the jetski at the time they're trying to pull it off would work. They could collect some fees from the scamees for their services.:)

Edited by tropo

A group of heavy Farang hanging arond the jetski at the time they're trying to pull it off would work. They could collect some fees from the scamees for their services.:)

I have spent a fair bit of time on pattaya beach watching scams go down (11 in total ) and it would be extremely difficult to outnumber the thai's.

just look at the video. at least 6 thai guys v 2 indians. and there is always more thai muscle available nearby

this is thailand and the thai's will stick together.

even when i have seen relatively large groups of assorted russians, young ,old, some female, they are no match for a group of determined thai's who have baht on their mind.

it's their day job. it's what they do, and they do it very well. these guys pull their scams on a regular basis they all know their parts to play including getting tough if required.

it's Thailand and as a foreigner you are not going to win if it comes down to a fight, however big you are sooner or later you will be outnumbered and at the wrong end of a good kicking. or worse they will readily pick up and use the nearest item not nailed down

i never saw it get violent and only once saw a shouting match.

they mainly got their way by intimidation, the threat of force

Edited by striderman

The Youtube video was very well done , I hope the media will make a big news story out of this, like they did in Phuket.

And if someone could put up a big warning sign near the beach like "Beware of jetski scams" maybe it would help.

Edited by balo

A group of heavy Farang hanging arond the jetski at the time they're trying to pull it off would work. They could collect some fees from the scamees for their services.:)

I have spent a fair bit of time on pattaya beach watching scams go down (11 in total ) and it would be extremely difficult to outnumber the thai's.

just look at the video. at least 6 thai guys v 2 indians. and there is always more thai muscle available nearby

this is thailand and the thai's will stick together.

even when i have seen relatively large groups of assorted russians, young ,old, some female, they are no match for a group of determined thai's who have baht on their mind.

it's their day job. it's what they do, and they do it very well. these guys pull their scams on a regular basis they all know their parts to play including getting tough if required.

it's Thailand and as a foreigner you are not going to win if it comes down to a fight, however big you are sooner or later you will be outnumbered and at the wrong end of a good kicking. or worse they will readily pick up and use the nearest item not nailed down

Correct,but the advantage is walking away from it ASAP.The Thais will not assault you in public,follow you ,let them just keep walking with all there verbal threats,just do put yourself into a position where thay can get hold of you. Walk into Mikes shopping Mall or wherever,but how is the average Joe going to know this?

it is in your face.It wants publicity and the guy who mentioned placards is probably the right way to go

Edited by Rimmer

Has anyone seen this video yet, it has just been released.

great video , I wonder if any thai authorities or police have seen it yet .

Fantastic video. Not as good as the one in Phuket. That one was unreal. Thanks to the author of this. Great work. Really sad this crap has to happen...and the police are in on it. Just too much corruption here. Keep your head down...and avoid jet skis!!!!

The walk away is a good idea if you can pull it off.

I used that in the past in Sri Lanka, India etc where people tried to scam me.

Not engaging at all can work although this particular scam is so well organised and well practised that it may not be that easy to get away.

I don't expect they will if they're facing some decent opponents. It's all bluff like that skinny "half pint" in the video taking off his shirt.

I know they're going after what they can get, but they will leave a difficult one alone as they have plenty of other easier options. There was already one story in the thread where they let it go.

I don't sit around on the beach to watch proceedings, but here's a question for the guys that have been watching these scammers closely: Do they ever pick on physically imposing tourists - guys who look like they can handle themselves?

Edited by tropo

I don't expect they will if they're facing some decent opponents. It's all bluff like that skinny "half pint" in the video taking off his shirt.

I know they're going after what they can get, but they will leave a difficult one alone as they have plenty of other easier options. There was already one story in the thread where they let it go.

I don't sit around on the beach to watch proceedings, but here's a question for the guys that have been watching these scammers closely: Do they ever pick on physically imposing tourists - guys who look like they can handle themselves?

In my opinion they will not let you walk away , you refer to one person saying in the this thread that happened but he only thought they walked away I doubt that from every thing that have seen.

There have already been quite a few bashings that have been in the media and for sure others we don't know about there are victim photo's on a you tube clip in this thread also.

They don't care how big you and tough you look i have seen a groups of about 9 or 10 iranians men and the were scammed and knew it , an older male in the group was asked by the operator do you value your life and they were intimidating him yet no one stepped in.

They could have 50 thugs or more supporting them within minutes.

They quite often will pick on a group who have hired a few skis i have seen groups of four be scammed a few times and the jet ski owners will find marks on every boat.

They will use the same marks the next day on another customer.

Also when people say why so expensive for small mark they say you have to pay for lost time.

As soon as a problem occurs I have seen some of these jet ski thugs arm them selves with stakes and hoes etc or be standing close to them.

Another thing they have is quite a few stalls directly across from some of these operators full of martial arts weapons , knives , stun guns , batons machettes another person mentioned earlier they have access to some type of gas.

I have seen thai's when having a altercation run and grab weapons off these tables before.

The jet ski crew in front of royal garden to me look the toughest group of all and know how to scare the crap of people .

They also have your hotel address and some times keep your valuables or passport when you hire. And anyone who starts making problems they take your photo as a slight warning we have your photo.

Google Pattaya Jet ski assault

Edited by saintofsilence

http://phuketwan.com...-turmoil-13105/

Fresh Rip-Off Claim in Phuket Jet-Ski Turmoil

By Alan Morison

Thursday, October 14, 2010

PRESSURE is expected to mount to ensure Patong jet-ski operators are no longer able to extort large sums of money from tourists in ''look what you did to my jet-ski'' scams.

A Malaysian tourist from Singapore - one of a group who claimed they were ripped off earlier this month - has passed on details of his complaint to Thai, Singaporean and Malaysian embassy officials.

Jet-ski rip-offs are also expected to be on the agenda when the new Australian ambassador greets Phuket's new governor next month - and when the honorary consuls and embassy representatives meet the governor in a summit just a few days later.

With the first anniversary of the jet-ski insurance scheme drawing closer, a new and credible complaint has come to light, this time from a South African tourist who claims to have handed over 69,000 baht to a jet-ski operator.

JJ still at it, what a filthy piece of scum .

Committee on Tourism have pulled or blocked the Big trouble in Thailand Doc on youtube back in Nov 09 , I think it needs to re-posted with slightly cripted title, they can't hide this never ending scam loss of face or not.The fact that the Tourist Police have been told to not get involved is a F***ing disgrace, the same goes for the local media

Edited by gorillagrower

It is 99% intimidation. However, that unknown 1% can end up like this: British national gets attacked by jet ski operators

Yeah, I remember reading that. The last line of the article is strange:

Note: The Pattaya Daily News team will investigate this incident further in an attempt to uncover the whole story, which in our opinion, at present appears rather vague.

Rather vague? I think not....

I sent an email to TAT with a copy of the link to the video. Saying how horrible this is. If more of us do that, maybe it will help? It sure can't hurt. What about a contact at Pattaya city hall? Just a thought....

It is 99% intimidation. However, that unknown 1% can end up like this: British national gets attacked by jet ski operators

Note: The Pattaya Daily News team will investigate this incident further in an attempt to uncover the whole story, which in our opinion, at present appears rather vague.

I sent an email to TAT with a copy of the link to the video. Saying how horrible this is. If more of us do that, maybe it will help? It sure can't hurt. What about a contact at Pattaya city hall? Just a thought....

I hope some one on here can send it to city hall they need to be informed.

Well done they all the authorities should now especially governments from our own countries

I think some of the verminous scum (probably one of the higher ups ,or cops involved in this scam) could well be monitoring this site,got a proposal from some pussy couple of days ago with threats. Only stayed on for a few mins until taken down.

Think anything specific planned would be well intentioned to be PM'd. Anyway if the pussy or cronies are watching I AM DOING ALL i CAN TO END YOUR SCAM

I think some of the verminous scum (probably one of the higher ups ,or cops involved in this scam) could well be monitoring this site,got a proposal from some pussy couple of days ago with threats. Only stayed on for a few mins until taken down.

Think anything specific planned would be well intentioned to be PM'd. Anyway if the pussy or cronies are watching I AM DOING ALL i CAN TO END YOUR SCAM

Did you think this was a Thai person or a Westerner? And did you report it to TV?

I really doubt these tossers know or care what is written about them. They don't care about anything except their own disgusting practices and getting money as shamelessly as they can. And that goes for the colluding police too.

Did you think this was a Thai person or a Westerner? And did you report it to TV?

I really doubt these tossers know or care what is written about them. They don't care about anything except their own disgusting practices and getting money as shamelessly as they can. And that goes for the colluding police too.

There is one westerner that helps the mob near royal garden and he isn't there to support the tourist , I have seen him several times his picture is in this thread post 166 .

I would not imagine he would be doing it out of the goodness of his heart for them.

If he is reading this post well it would be nice if you could give an explanation of what your involvement is and why you are supporting the jet ski operators.

There are about 3 or 4 main players in this scam who have the other guys like half pint trained to pull this scam the moment they are given the nod.

Edited by saintofsilence

The fact that the Tourist Police have been told to not get involved is a F***ing disgrace, the same goes for the local media

That tells you everything you need to know about it. This scam is rooted at such a high level that it is UNTOUCHABLE.

I didn't have much respect for the falang tourist police to begin with, but now I have lost what little I had and they have been officially been labeled a joke to me.

Town Hall has had what, two meetings about jet skis now and NOTHING has come of it? Please. This is a huge joke. Lets face it, none of these officials care about the tourists who come here, that is evident with double pricing and cheating them everywhere they turn. It starts at the airport and doesn't end until they are back on their plane to leave. From the ATM machines to the taxi drivers and everything in the middle.

Really, what kind country tolerates gangs INSIDE the airport?

Tourists are <deleted>**ED from the git-go. If they make it in and out without getting hosed somewhere, they are lucky.

There is one westerner that helps the mob near royal garden and he isn't there to support the tourist , I have seen him several times his picture is in this thread post 166 .

I would not imagine he would be doing it out of the goodness of his heart for them.

If he is reading this post well it would be nice if you could give an explanation of what your involvement is and why you are supporting the jet ski operators.

There are about 3 or 4 main players in this scam who have the other guys like half pint trained to pull this scam the moment they are given the nod.

The guy in Post 166 is not a Westerner. he's more like a Thai. Unless you've quoted the post number wrong?