Jet Ski Scam Out Of Control Tourists Have No Hope Of Being Treated Fairly

saintofsilence

be careful they ALso operate the beach chairs :)

I can see the next scam already.... a fat falang sits in a chair and cracks it. They just bought a state of the art, ergonomic, all-weather, wooded chair.... for the low, low price of 40,000 baht

With that said, the police are going to have a field day giving tickets for people who don't cross at the new cross walk lights. That is just a matter of time and will be a gold mine for them.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this on youtube have a look if you have time its a bit long

Some guys have all the luck. Is it just me, or do some parts of this story not add up eg. The girl in the room with the knife.

I think he took a ladyboy back , but agree some parts a bit exaggerated but disgusting pics of the jet ski victims

Found this on youtube have a look if you have time its a bit long

Some guys have all the luck. Is it just me, or do some parts of this story not add up eg. The girl in the room with the knife.

I think he took a ladyboy back , but agree some parts a bit exaggerated but disgusting pics of the jet ski victims

When you say mafia you presumably are referring to a small bunch of local wrong 'un's or a you referring to the real mafia of Russian mob.

My point is that it could so easily change if the authorities and police gave a shit, which they don't. Because, at the end of the day, us foreigners stupidly use the term mafia for what is basically nothing more more than a few local thugs/chancers doing small potatoe rip offs.

Have edited to say that this was suppose to be in reply to thaidiver post number #97

Edited by carmine

seen this on another forum can be addictive in pattaya

When I was there in April, I was coming back from Koh Larn. I remember being scared shitless to rent one on the island, but I said I would only do it if one of the helpers rode with me. As a came back to the main lands, I was walking back to my hotel along beach road and happen to catch a jet ski scam right when it was happening. I was in shock! I stood there to see how it would pan out. Long story short-Aussie was pulling up to the beach, got beat up by five of the vendors. Coincidentally, the same thing was happening to his friend, and then ended up paying 40,000 baht. CRAZY!

I will never ever ride a jet ski in Pattaya again! For your information, the government is well aware of this, and requires all jet ski operators to purchase insurance for their jet skis so people don't get scammed.

I will never ever ride a jet ski in Pattaya again! For your information, the government is well aware of this, and requires all jet ski operators to purchase insurance for their jet skis so people don't get scammed.

Of course all the authorities are well aware of this. They're probably been paid a retainer to turn a blind eye.

From reports since this post started it is now coming very clear after reports from other members these scams are occurring daily it is outright theft and thuggery , and the police are in on it.

Tourists don't don't stand a chance the jet ski business in pattaya major income is from scamming thousands and thousands of dollars , passports and personal belongings are held by the thugs , lives are threatened beatings occur .

More has to be done to warn people about this , the media don't seem to give it enough attention .

Innocent people are renting ski's and not damaging them , huge prices are being charged for old damage.

It is impossible to argue with them, they want one outcome pay up or suffer the consequences sucker.

some recent quotes from other sources :

peter said : I was sitting on a bench opposite Royal Garden to see what is going on. I only had to wait ten minutes to see what is happening overthere. I heard from friends who are working as foreign policevolunteers that the police is deeply involved. They told me that there is everyday a dispute on the policestation between the jetskimafia and tourists who don't want to be ripped off. The responsible autorities should be ashamed

Bob said : I went for a ride for 30 minutes. Came back and some painting were missing (the size of a pound coin).

The jetski guys wanted 18000 baht for the damage, which was in front and on top of the jetski. I honestly didn't see the missing painting before, so I must have caused it to appear but don't know how. I only bumped into waves out on the water. I could see the jetski had a damage from before in its front. It was fixed with some kind of white glue. I ended up paying 8000 baht after 2 ½ hour of talking. Pretty expensive for a damage I'm pretty sure, I didn't commit. And missing painting at the size of a pound coin. Shouldn't cost that much. But what can a man do in such a situation having 5-6 thai guys around threatening.

Lesson learned: NEVER rent jetskis in Thailand.

Pattaya News

The argument became very heated, ending with the three Thai Jetski operators attacking Mr. Marshall before another two Thai men walking past the incident also joined in on the attack. Mr. Marshall was able to escape the onslaught, but not before being hit several times in the face causing him numerous injuries.

Officers obtained Mr. Marshall’s statement before sending him to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital for treatment. An investigation will commence in an attempt to apprehend the 5 offenders.

When you say mafia you presumably are referring to a small bunch of local wrong 'un's or a you referring to the real mafia of Russian mob.

My point is that it could so easily change if the authorities and police gave a shit, which they don't.

Read your second sentence again, then you will know the mafia he speaks of. This only happens because they allow it to happen. Why would they allow it to happen? For a piece of the pie of course.

Old news, has always happened and will always happen.

Nothing can ever be done about it because there will always be new tourists who don't know any better. full proof scam that will always work backed up and endorsed by the police !!

I hardly ever go to the beach but whenever I do I always see this happening at some point at different levels.

Officers obtained Mr. Marshall’s statement before sending him to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital for treatment. An investigation will commence in an attempt to apprehend the 5 offenders.

Yea, right. Those 5 punks are in the same place every day ripping people off.

It's a shame Thai Visa doesn't grow a set of balls and allow us to name and shame people like this. They wont hesitate to post images and stories of an "accused" foreigner or Thai for allegedly doing something wrong, but we are not allowed to do the same even if it is to save fellow foreigners (or Thais) from pain or grief. These jet ski scammers need to be exposed EVERYWHERE we can expose them.

Officers obtained Mr. Marshall's statement before sending him to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital for treatment. An investigation will commence in an attempt to apprehend the 5 offenders.

Yea, right. Those 5 punks are in the same place every day ripping people off.

It's a shame Thai Visa doesn't grow a set of balls and allow us to name and shame people like this. They wont hesitate to post images and stories of an "accused" foreigner or Thai for allegedly doing something wrong, but we are not allowed to do the same even if it is to save fellow foreigners (or Thais) from pain or grief. These jet ski scammers need to be exposed EVERYWHERE we can expose them.

Well said, but even exposing them wont change anything because the whole scam./business is reliant on new tourists. New tourists are not going to know before and/or when they are here. As i say it is a full proof scam that will always work.......UNLESS, GOD FORBID, THE POLICE ACTUALLY DID THEIR JOB !!

Nothing can ever be done about it because there will always be new tourists who don't know any better. full proof scam that will always work backed up and endorsed by the police !!

I hardly ever go to the beach but whenever I do I always see this happening at some point at different levels.

I disagree. Something will eventually be done about this but it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Some good international news coverage like the incident in Phuket would help a lot.

Edited by tropo

I disagree. Something will eventually be done about this but it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Some good international new coverage like the incident in Phuket would help a lot.

I hope you are right.

Some good international new coverage like the incident in Phuket would help a lot.

I hope you are right.

This "old news" has to get way past the local authorities who share in the spoils.

down there yesterday a couple of thai police were chasing an 80 year old papaya bok bok lady for trying to make a few honest baht and 500 mtrs a scam is going on which they ignore.

I've seen them do that as well. They will take the food vendors entire food cart and put it in their truck, then drive away. Meanwhile, the scam is going on right there on the other side of the road.

Goes to show you where their money is coming from, and it ain't from the food vendors.

I can only guess they steal their food carts when someone's cousin wants to start a business and needs a cart. Or, that is the stations version of fast food.

down there yesterday a couple of thai police were chasing an 80 year old papaya bok bok lady for trying to make a few honest baht and 500 mtrs a scam is going on which they ignore.

I've seen them do that as well. They will take the food vendors entire food cart and put it in their truck, then drive away. Meanwhile, the scam is going on right there on the other side of the road.

Goes to show you where their money is coming from, and it ain't from the food vendors.

I can only guess they steal their food carts when someone's cousin wants to start a business and needs a cart. Or, that is the stations version of fast food.

I am not sure where i saw it written but but i remember reading somewhere that some police did own some of the jet ski and speed boat businesses in Pattaya.

Nice Pic saintofsilence

Looks like genuine damage this time.

That sure ain't gona be cheap.

Did you see what happened or how much was being asked.

That is the first time TWO police are called. The one on the right is one of the crooked ones who is called there almost daily by the scammers. No question he is in on it. The other guy with the helmet, he must have been called in to do actual police work. Also the first time I've seen the crooked policeman get his lazy bum off his bike.

Nice Pic saintofsilence

That is the first time TWO police are called. The one on the right is one of the crooked ones who is called there almost daily by the scammers. No question he is in on it. The other guy with the helmet, he must have been called in to do actual police work. Also the first time I've seen the crooked policeman get his lazy bum off his bike.

I agree with what you are saying . it seems that they have their favourite police for mystery scratches but when it really happens they are happy to for any officer to come.

Nice Pic saintofsilence

No I never heard what was being asked but there were two smashed , head on collision :)

This must have been really upsetting for the scammers and police. The scammers would have to use the money to make repairs and the police had to do some real work.