Jet Ski Scam Out Of Control Tourists Have No Hope Of Being Treated Fairly

saintofsilence

never had an issue - let the jet ski lads you are aware of the scam, take pictures ect and then go have some fun. These lads only take advantage of those who don't know better.

It would be difficult if you didn't someone on the beach to hold you camera and other belongings. You certainly couldn't trust your valuables to a scam artist.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most corruption in Thailand including jet ski scams , illegal dvds copies of clothing etc is related to the Red Shirt Movement and the only way they seem to be able to solve a problem is with force use of illegal weapons , knives guns death threats on anyone who upsets them .

The Police and Army don't go in. Hard enough because most likely a huge percentage of their members are reds.

The current government promises to take action on these mafia type wrong doers but to me it looks like a losing battle.

Solve corruption and educate these reds Thailand would be a great place and respected internationally.

The allegation is a crock of sh*t. Phuket is not a Redshirt stronghold. The jetski mafia are locals and the workers are from Phuket or southern areas like Surat.

Yet, the jestski ripoffs are probably at their worst on Phuket. There is a significant problem with price fixing and intimidation with tuk tuks and taxis on Phuket. The drivers are for the most part, from Phuket. The operators of the syndicates are all from powerdul entrenched local Phuket families. Again, no red shirt supporters in that group of thugs.

The largest distributors of counterfeit goods are from Bangkok. They are the same group that have a stranglehold on some concessions. It doesn't matter to them who is in power as long as they can go about their business. Again, no relationship to Redshirts. These people were engaged in their activities long before Thaksin and long before there was a redshirt movement.

If you have a beef. Fine, that's your perogative. However, don't make allegations that are false. Corruption in Thailand is endemic and almost everyone is implicated.

It is safer to assume that all jet ski operators are crooks and do not rent. Yery unfair on the honest ones who suffer from being tarred with the same brush. :huh:

This really is the best answer. If the honest operators see the scammers ruining their business I would have thought they would soon join forces to drive the problem operators out.

Maybe the honest people dont have enough power, and the muscle to back it up. Just dont rent jet ski's. No way we can sort the bad from the good, so unless you want to support these crooks, then stop renting. Your world wont crumble if you dont ski, at least dont ski in Thailand. There are not a lot of ways farangs can make any changes here, but one good way is with our money. Those jet ski's will be off the beach in a month if no one rents from them.

Out at the beach again today (in front of Central Mall). Probably was half-dozen rented and nothing amiss. In fact, when jetskis returned to shore, the boat-boys didn't even give them a once-over before getting on and taking them out a few meters to tether them to their buoys.

Again, sure, stuff happens but not as often as assumed. Most likely there is trouble when people rent them and are seen "hot-doggin" around the bay. I too would give the expensive vehicles close look-over in these cases.

I went down to Mike Shopping Mall today, pulled up a chair and watched a few Indians get scammed. Was watching for the scam so paid attention to the guys in the water, none of them had any problems. When they pulled in, the Thai dirt bags came over, looked at the jet skis and it started.

The Indians didn't want to pay so the Thai scum took their shirts off and tried to show off their tattoos to look gangster, pulling back their hands like they were ready to fight. The Indians agreed to pay, so off to the ATM they went.

They come back from the ATM and on cue, a cop rolls up and pulls everyone over. I'm standing near so I walk up as well to listen. The scammers wanted 10k per bike, the cop told the Indians they had to pay or there would be problems. The Indians paid up, the Thais were quickly speaking to the cop (I could not follow it was so fast), then he drove off. Not once did he even get his useless ass off the bike to go down and look at the jet skis, he just told them they had to pay to avoid "pomp-pems" and was gone.

I know from personal experience that not all jet ski operators are scum bags, but in front of Mike Shopping Mall, it is scam city and it appears at least 1 policeman (if you can call him that) is in on it.

Posts advocating and celebrating violence deleted.

As it should be, because violence can only go one way in this country, and that is towards foreigners.

Sorry for that post. Not sure what got into me. :ph34r:

Your claims are Also a load of baseless crap to say red shirts are not involved in corruption in bangkok or Phuket you must walk around with your eyes closed.

I made no such claim. I was pointing out the corruption blamed on "redshirts" also occurs in redshirt free zones. If you were to claim redshirt corruption in Chiang Mai, I wouldn't disagree. However, corruption in non redshirt strongholds like Bangkok and Phuket is mostly the result of "yellow shirt" sympathizers. That is just a reflection of numbers. More yellow shirts in an area will mean more are likely to be crooked. Just as more redshirts in an area means that more redshirts are likely to be crooked. Duh.

Political affiliations do not dictate whether or not one is corrupt. Considering how pervasive and deeprooted corruption is in Thailand it is idiotic to make the calaim that one colour shirt is more corrupt than the other. They are all corrupt.

Edited by geriatrickid

Considering the amount of bad publicity the activity has attracted in recent years it's amazing that anyone would rent a jet ski in the LOS. Russians, Indians, Japanese, Koreans and Chinese must have forums or discuss the matter among themselves. I would never consider patronising these rogues and would also do my best to dissuade any of my friends and associates from do so.

The same group (between Soi 10 and Mike Shopping) is at it again today. Watched them scam another small group. Same cop came to their rescue.

Was this the Policeman by any chance?

Got this picture from a very interesting thread on another Pattaya forum.

It details 11 incidences of this scam, with photos.

It's in the section newbies sand box.

I assume it's against forum rules to link to it so I guess it will have to remain a "secret"

The same group (between Soi 10 and Mike Shopping) is at it again today. Watched them scam another small group. Same cop came to their rescue.

I assume it's against forum rules to link to it so I guess it will have to remain a "secret"

Good find kevkev I hope it is not a secret to long people need to know that is not the policeman that i saw but he is one of the regulars.,

also I notice in those pictures that there is a thai person who looks very similar to the one that had a wanted picture in pattaya one online newspaper on the 12 0ct 2010 for a seroius incident involving a jet ski.

Edited by saintofsilence

Someone should go down at night and stick some signs on the trees, disguised as KOTO's signs, but in English/Russian etc warning the unwary of the scam with those operators. Good idea?

They'd be ripped down the next day.

If the tourist police are happy for these well documented scams to continue, there's no hope for any good samaritan to prevent it.

At least they've put swimming enclosures along the beach in an attempt to prevent deadly encounters with swimmers.

Great find!

That's not THE guy I've seen the past few days, but I do see that cop down there quite a bit. I'm sure there are a few of them involved.

That said, the back of the other Thai, blue shirt, hat and glasses on the hat... THAT guy is there every day. He is the most violent of the group and usually is the one trying to intimidate customers by acting as if he is going to fight them.

Someone should go down at night and stick some signs on the trees, disguised as KOTO's signs, but in English/Russian etc warning the unwary of the scam with those operators. Good idea?

They'd be ripped down the next day.

If the tourist police are happy for these well documented scams to continue, there's no hope for any good samaritan to prevent it.

At least they've put swimming enclosures along the beach in an attempt to prevent deadly encounters with swimmers.

I agree with what you said. However, if enough of a fuss is made, or the right level of official gets the word, these things can be stopped or minimized. Local newspaper, ExPat clubs, News station etc. At some point, the negative image reaches some Thai offical's desk, Ministry of Tourism for example and the gets out to squash the activity.

The only time I rented a jet ski was one day out on Ko larn. Since I won't swim in Pattaya Beach, I am not likely to be hit by the scam there. But it certainly seems to be a constant theme there. Once a week or once a month is one thing, but several times a week sure rings the danger bell. The same cop being on the scene may not be incriminating. He might have that shift or beat? Just trying to be open minded.

Really people! I just can't believe anyone with any sense would come to Thailand without doing the smallest amount of internet research that would lead them to the concrete conclusion that you just don't ever trust these people or rent a f**king jet ski! Come on get a clue, do these people live in a cave. Learn about the local scams before coming here please...

Well, many people really don't have a criminal mind or any street smarts. They read travel brochures, and see all the good things and have no concept or experiences of being scammed. Sadly, these are the type of people that scammers and con men look for and prey upon. This is why this sort of thing has to be brought to the attention of local authorities, news papers, ex pat clubs, ministry of tourism, tourist police, local police, Mayor's office, etc. Depending on the level of corruption and influence, this may help. Of course, you folks that live there probably have some understanding of the local politics, street bosses, organized crime, etc. And one might have to be careful about how to publicize the problem more. If you start showing photographs, and name people and places, their may be some reaction to that.

Well, many people really don't have a criminal mind or any street smarts. They read travel brochures, and see all the good things and have no concept or experiences of being scammed. Sadly, these are the type of people that scammers and con men look for and prey upon. This is why this sort of thing has to be brought to the attention of local authorities, news papers, ex pat clubs, ministry of tourism, tourist police, local police, Mayor's office, etc. Depending on the level of corruption and influence, this may help. Of course, you folks that live there probably have some understanding of the local politics, street bosses, organized crime, etc. And one might have to be careful about how to publicize the problem more. If you start showing photographs, and name people and places, their may be some reaction to that.

I find it very hard to believe that these scams are not known by all the local politicians and other people in positions of authority....just as they are aware of all the other illegal activities going on in this town.

I'll bet it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I find it very hard to believe that these scams are not known by all the local politicians and other people in positions of authority....just as they are aware of all the other illegal activities going on in this town.

What is does is let us know how high up the food chain the "mafia" really goes. None of this would exists if it was not ok by the highest of local authority. They can have all the meetings they want about it, but action is the only thing that matters. Everyone on this board can meet weekly in an attempt to get me to stop drinking beer, but it's never gonna happen. It would make for good press though.

For as fun, cheap and exciting as Thailand is, it is equally corrupt and dangerous for tourists, who are targets. The police do not help, the media coverage does nothing, and all of the scams and other ugly issues remain day in and day out. Everyone is really on their own over here. Best you can do is hope to never get caught up in the middle of their shenanigans.

Seen them at it again today 5 young guys I think Korean came in all smiles after having fun intil the jet ski mafia pulled their usual stunt and accused the tourists of damage.

W

They were still at it when I left the usual cop came not in uniform .

These guys will be parting with thousands of. Baht like most customers.

This was the mafia group infront of mike shopping.

It can be done.

The documentary "Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand" and it's piece on JJ in Puket caused enough international attention to force changes there.

The question is Who can do this for Pattaya???

Has it been done? Has this problem been sorted out in Phuket yet?

Either way, it required the situation to get much worse before that documentary was produced. It appears the scam artists in Pattaya are amateurs compared to the best of Phuket. It also seems that the scam artists in Pattaya are carefully selecting their victims. It seems most are Middle Eastern, Indian or Asian.

Edited by tropo

Seen them at it again today 5 young guys I think Korean came in all smiles after having fun intil the jet ski mafia pulled their usual stunt and accused the tourists of damage.

W

They were still at it when I left the usual cop came not in uniform .

These guys will be parting with thousands of. Baht like most customers.

This was the mafia group infront of mike shopping.

Its a disgrace.

I'm not a resident of Pattaya, but seems that you are.

Please get a picture of the bent cop and post it.

Edited by soihok