Jet Ski Scam Out Of Control Tourists Have No Hope Of Being Treated Fairly

saintofsilence

This week on Pattaya beach i witnessed a group of Indians having problems with jet ski operators after they had finished hiring some jet ski's the white book was out and they were arguing over money.

I never went close enough to see what tbe problem was but any person just needs to walk along the beach a couole of times a day and you will come across the same recurring situation.

It looked like negotiations were getting no where so the police were called the officer talked to the groups and not long after he walked away from the groups and standing in amoungst some umbrellas met a guy who ihad just arrived on a motor bike I am sure he is involved in the jet ski business also because i have seen him many times around the skis.

Money was exchanged between the policeman and mr ? The policeman went back to the groups and not long after the indians were walking away and the matter had been settled.

Anyone who rents jet skis in thailand are risking losing there savings or holiday money many people are marched iff to atms and threatened .

Dont expect the police to help it would be very doubtful you would get a good outcome.

I am not saying what i saw was anything to do with the jet ski problem and the indians but i am saying it did not look good .

-----------------------

//note from Admin//

for a Video released in November please follow this link:

Edited by webfact
//addendum by Admin//

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never had an issue - let the jet ski lads you are aware of the scam, take pictures ect and then go have some fun. These lads only take advantage of those who don't know better.

If only everybody was this wise :blink:

Sadly most people go through life not expecting to be ripped off :lol:

Spent a day at the beach recently and there were many people renting then in front of the area we were sitting. Didn't notice anything amiss when they were waved in after their 20 or 30 minute time (except big smiles on their faces). Have also rented them several times myself over the years without incident.

Not saying scams don't happen but I don't think as common as is often assumed.

Spent a day at the beach recently and there were many people renting then in front of the area we were sitting. Didn't notice anything amiss when they were waved in after their 20 or 30 minute time (except big smiles on their faces). Have also rented them several times myself over the years without incident.

I disagree i think it occurs very often but many cases go un reported , but do search in google thst will keep you busy for while.

Edited by saintofsilence

never had an issue - let the jet ski lads you are aware of the scam, take pictures ect and then go have some fun. These lads only take advantage of those who don't know better.

Great advise. I've never had problems either...but I do like you say and take a pic or two. I also do this with rental cars...especially if there is any significant damage already.

But this scam does happen for sure...

I was on holiday in Pattaya recently with my family.

Having a drink in Simple Simon in Jomtien one afternoon, a Farang tourist was attacked by one of the jet ski operators in the street.

He had refused to pay for some scratches that had appeared on the underside of the jet ski after returning it.

The jet ski operators often ride their jet skis up the beach and onto the sand.

I have rented jet skis on the same beach before, not interested now and a bit boring unless there is a swell, but go no where near them now.

Ridiculously overpriced anyway.

Edited by soihok

Here's another point of view...ever seen the hoons who rent jet skis? Many of them are drunk with a false sense of bravado and speed into areas where they are not meant to go. Also, there is debris floating in the sea, sometimes solid enough to cause damage. Glad there are now no-go areas clearly marked by bouys for swimmers' safety.

Does it surprise me that the jetskis are returned with scratches, no matter how small? Not at all. But of course, some operators are scammers also. So, I believe the truth is halfway between the views of irresponsible jetski users and scam-artist operators.

As someone else said, best to take a photo of the darn thing before you scoot off.

Here's another point of view...ever seen the hoons who rent jet skis? Many of them are drunk with a false sense of bravado and speed into areas where they are not meant to go. Also, there is debris floating in the sea, sometimes solid enough to cause damage. Glad there are now no-go areas clearly marked by bouys for swimmers' safety.

Does it surprise me that the jetskis are returned with scratches, no matter how small? Not at all. But of course, some operators are scammers also. So, I believe the truth is halfway between the views of irresponsible jetski users and scam-artist operators.

As someone else said, best to take a photo of the darn thing before you scoot off.

You are right on. A crazy group for sure. But if you hit something, you're gonna pay. Just like if you rented a car and a rock flies up and cracks your windscreen. Not your fault, but you will have to pay...

I agree that the cordoned off swimming areas are a good idea, not sure that swimming in the minging sea is though.

My view is that you are better off forgeting about jet skis anyway, another hassle waiting to pounce.

I think you are right but I have also witnessed the huddle of Indians with a jet ski operator having heated arguments on a couple of occasions in the past month and think there may be particular problem with one or two operators towards the Pattaya Tai end of the beach, around the Soi13/3 -13/4 area.

I have even seen people rent these skis and water has got on the electronics probably due to not being sealed off correctly and the operators were trying to get money out of them ,

There are many reports that the starting price ffor small damage can be as high as 80 thousand baht.

I have also seen them grabbing stakes and shovels ready to assault the customer and also say to the customer If you valu your life pay.

and what will a photo prove-----------they are all good liars do you really think they are not capable of saying the picture was taken some other time and you edited the dates !!

with police help they can and will do anything-------------attacked huh if one attacked me he would be in hospital a long time and no doubt i would be in m / house even longer---------------we are the prey and they are the hunters ----------learn !!

Actually you have just been lucky. Scams are rife here. I've seen and heard of countless incidents on Samui.

There are many reports that the starting price ffor small damage can be as high as 80 thousand baht.

80k? :lol: More chance seeing pigs fly then ever getting that sort of dosh least out of me. B) Trust me hold your ground and they will grow bored and move on to the next lad.

Edited by britmaveric

Agreed, the way some people react you'd think that every renter had problems, same as the overimaginative "King Power Scam"

Well i dont go to the beach everyday but i have seen at least 15 incidents in the past 3 months just from walking a couple of times a day on the beach road walking track and not paying to much attention.

I am surprised how many posts here basically think it doesnt occur just do some googling and remember not many of these go unreported because the operators scare the shit out of people.

i woukd suugest that the hiring fee for these jet ski is a very small part of the income , the highest comes from scamming people.

And posters that say stand up to these guys habe a look at what has happenned to otheres you will end up in hospital quick.

And posters that say stand up to these guys habe a look at what has happenned to otheres you will end up in hospital quick.

I did and told the scum to fk off and I walked away. Mind you this was koh larn, but same scenario. Guess what I am still here today. You give into these muppets and it gives them license to do it to the next one that comes along. Trust me - a few of them would be in the hospital next to me if they ever tried to get violent.

I did and told the scum to fk off and I walked away. Mind you this was koh larn, but same scenario. Guess what I am still here today. You give into these muppets and it gives them license to do it to the next one that comes along. Trust me - a few of them would be in the hospital next to me if they ever tried to get violent.

Well it is good if you can handle yourself but unfortunately we are all not like that , i would never rent from any of them but its unfortunste that they prey on the weak.

After one the storms last week the water was full of debris including a busted up fishing boat and people were still hiring skis.

These mafia and their white pads would be rubbing their hands together waiting for the next innocent sucker to come along.

^my advice for safe jet ski rentals....

1. Take photos of jetski and the lad renting

2. Stay away from land

3. Stay away from other jetski(s), do not even bump them.

4. Stay away from boats.

Yes they are watching you even when you think they are not. Be honest always rent for an hr close to early evening, get the best rates.

Hey BM.

You are not Sifu are You?

80k? :lol: More chance seeing pigs fly then ever getting that sort of dosh least out of me. B)Trust me hold your ground and they will grow bored and move on to the next lad.

Somethimes they can be very patient, I did see a case ending up around 11pm at the Police Station. Think the Tourist had more damage done to his Body by that time, then he did to the Jetski (if at all).