Tavern By The Sea - New Restaurant Part Of The Amari

media

I know that this is not a restaurant review site, but i just have to share this with my fellow pattayians

I went with 7 friends to have a meal at this new Tavern by the sea restaurant which is part of the Amari chain. at the beginning of beach road. its in the old henry beans building.

The food was all microwaved, my full rack of ribs for 440 baht was dry and discussing obviously the cooks dont even know the correct microwave times they were nuked to death, the service was terrible (actually there was 1 guy that served us who was good but he seamed to be the only guy in the place working - no one else was available or taking care of anything. its a large place and should have staff over watching the tables and being available when your drink needs a re fill.

what a bad start this place is making. Who ever is in charge here needs to go back to the drawing table they obviously dont have a clew what they are doing or simply just dont care.

Its all wrong. The only thing that this place is good for is sitting at the bar drinking a beer and watching one of the MANY tv screens showing sports etc,

out of 8 people not one of us was satisfied with the food or service. The only 1 good thing they did for me was a decent gin and tonic. But i felt terrible as it was my idea to try the place, the others wanted to go to another restaurant.

My advise - Avoid for food. I just hope the the management read this and act on it.

I ate there once, a couple of months ago. I couldn't agree more. The food was average, at best. (How can you really screw up a simple pasta dish?) <_< That pasta dish, a very small portion, was served without bread of any kind. Ever seen that anywhere? It took me a few minutes, discussing it with two employees, to get them to understand that I wanted some bread. What I got was a tiny pastry roll!

Both the food, and a glass of wine, were shamefully overpriced.

I've never been back; and will never return.

I don't suppose it occurred to you to actually talk to the management about your complaint rather than posting on a forum and hoping they read your comments ? I have found it often works a lot better! ;)

I totally disagree! The OP has performed a public service with this warning. What kind of fantasy land do you live in where you think a customer complaint is going to totally turn around a bad operation?

BTW, nothing wrong with telling businesses they suck as well. They usually already know it though.

Do both!

Edited by Jingthing

I don't suppose it occurred to you to actually talk to the management about your complaint rather than posting on a forum and hoping they read your comments ? I have found it often works a lot better! ;)

I totally disagree! The OP has performed a public service with this warning. What kind of fantasy land do you live in where you think a customer complaint is going to totally turn around a bad operation?

BTW, nothing wrong with telling businesses they suck as well. They usually already know it though.

Do both!

With you on all points, Jingthing. During my visit, while having the problems making them understand that I had expected, and wanted to order, bread with my pasta, I DID ask to speak to the manager. I was told, "Manager not here now." :rolleyes: But I totally support the idea of complaining directly to management, whenever possible. We can't expect improvement from complaints posted here. I have had a great deal of success, over the years, presenting constructive criticism, as well as making requests for new things, to management of restaurants in both the USA and here.

Gullivers just down the road is probably a better alternative.

Service is always good there and although the food is not that exciting it is still reasonably good pub fare.

The Mantra is worth a look too if you want to spend a bit more money.

I forgot to also say that at the TAVERN they brought out the starters and the main courses at the same time. And all the food came out randomly, meaning we all ate at different times. when you dine with a group its nice to eat at the same time. Also my Cronenbourg was NOT Cronenbourg, it was wrong but the waiter denied it. It tasted similar to the beers that they brew in the Hoph house. Shockingly enough I was told last night that they have a FERANG manager!!!??? I am going to check into this.. if it is true - this idiot has obviously not got a clue how to run a restaurant or how to train the staff. This place needs an overhaul from the kitchen through to the service staff.

and as for H2oDunc comment "why didn't i complain".. I did tell the waiter that my ribs were dry and awful. and didn't get a response.

Just incase the Manager of Tavern is reading this heres what needs to be done.

I would say the immediate challenge is improving the food. Get some new Cooks! Sack the head chef, he has had his chance already and messed it right up. you need cooks that can produce decent fresh food, the menu is basic, its not gordon ramsey cooking. DONT let the cooks Microwave everything! A decent Kitchen will only have 1 or 2 Microwaves and they are only used to heat things up, NOT COOKING Thai chefs are lazy when it comes to Ferang food! you wont see a thai chef microwaving his beloved Thai food a... Thais expect fresh food and so should ferang alike.

As Manager you have to TEST all the food regularly. Get the food sorted and you'll see people coming back for more.

Service: create a team, Train them, teach them that when people order starters and mains they have to come separately, and friends want to eat together not 1 by 1 randomly. Teach them how to deal with complaints correctly, not just sweep them under the carpet and ignore them.

By the way, I wish that we had gone to Shenanigans at the avenue, even though the service (in my opinion) is lacking, There Fajitas are GREAT! good portion, comes out hot and fresh too! well done shenanigans cooks.

In that area, go with Gullivers, Green Tree Pub, or Havana st Holiday Inn. All have good food, service, and indoor and outdoor seating.

The Havana is an excellent place for an informal business meeting too. Since the theme is a cigar bar, it's a shame stogies aren't allowed!

The restaurant out front is nice as well but only in the evenings as there's just not enough shade during the day and it gets real hot with all that pavement.

The Green Tree can be hit or miss sometimes but always nice when they have the foxy young drinks hostesses working.

In that area, go with Gullivers, Green Tree Pub, or Havana st Holiday Inn. All have good food, service, and indoor and outdoor seating.

The Havana is an excellent place for an informal business meeting too. Since the theme is a cigar bar, it's a shame stogies aren't allowed!

Very true...sorta ironic. They also have two-for-one happy hour in evenings...great mohitos at 2 for B 200.

The Green Tree can be hit or miss sometimes but always nice when they have the foxy young drinks hostesses working.

Again true...they are the one if one wants live band and outdoor garden setting.