Airblade Or Nouvo

2008bangkok

Both are good bikes, and either one would be a good choice. The Nouvo is 135 cc and the Airblade is 110 cc. The new Airblade is, I think, fuel injected, where the Nouvo has a carbuerator. Given the larger engine and a bit more power, I would choose the Nouvo. The Airblade should give you better fuel economy, but that should not be a big deal for most people. Most people (especially those with a larger frame) would, I think, choose the new Honda PCX over an Airblade (and many over the Nouvo also).

Edited by Thailaw

Nouvo wins for me because it has bigger wheels which makes the handling better and safer over potholes in the road,..ithe bike also has a bigger feel to it.....oh and the nouvo has a large storage area under the seat....why not rent both for a day to see which one u prefer before buying one

I can only compare the old 115cc Nouvo and the new Airblade since I own an old Nouvo and rented a couple of Airblade's recently on weekend trips from BKK.

I thought the Airblade was awful, I was actually surprised just how bad it was - much worse than my 2006 Nouvo which I thought was pretty average until I rode the Airblade. The engine on the Honda felt much weaker and it was less stable despite having about half the number of kms of my bike. The Nouvo Elegance is supposed to be much better than my 2006 MX model so I would have to assume that the Nouvo Elegance is far superior to an Airblade.

You are correct in suggesting that there is a wealth of information about these models that can be researched. It can be a tiresome exercise, but searches can be profitable.

Still, there might be some "old" news there. For example, Yamaha has produced 3 Nouvo types. Your interest is the Nouvo Elegance, or the 135cc if you like. Posts about the older model Elegance will relate to the new one too, as except for some metallurgical changes, its production run remains the same design. The Nouvo MX model mentioned above (I have one) is large framed, but only a 115cc and does not apply to your Question.

The Airblade does have Fi of course, and its underseat storage is ample, though differently shaped. Sticking to the models you propose, the mileage will be better on the Airblade, the Elegance will go faster at the top end, the Airblade will get a better re-sale price as a percent, the Elegance not far behind. The wheel size difference is important to some people, the Elegance sporting 16 inches to Honda's 14. My own luck in renting Airblades may have been better than one poster (rental bikes can be unrepresentative), in that I found that it was amazingly steady - to which many posters attest - but that's true for the Nouvo Elegance as well.

Honda's PCX has its zealous advocates too, but rather than opening that can of worms here, I'll stick to what it is you have asked about.B)

Cheers for the advice everybody at the moment im swaying more towards the Nouvo because of the extra space and the fact it is slightly bigger bike but there again if the airblade is alot of difference in fuel econmy they i will have to think about that, im going ot be doing about 50km a day to work and back so fuel economy is important

You are correct in suggesting that there is a wealth of information about these models that can be researched. It can be a tiresome exercise, but searches can be profitable.

Still, there might be some "old" news there. For example, Yamaha has produced 3 Nouvo types. Your interest is the Nouvo Elegance, or the 135cc if you like. Posts about the older model Elegance will relate to the new one too, as except for some metallurgical changes, its production run remains the same design. The Nouvo MX model mentioned above (I have one) is large framed, but only a 115cc and does not apply to your Question.

The Airblade does have Fi of course, and its underseat storage is ample, though differently shaped. Sticking to the models you propose, the mileage will be better on the Airblade, the Elegance will go faster at the top end, the Airblade will get a better re-sale price as a percent, the Elegance not far behind. The wheel size difference is important to some people, the Elegance sporting 16 inches to Honda's 14. My own luck in renting Airblades may have been better than one poster (rental bikes can be unrepresentative), in that I found that it was amazingly steady - to which many posters attest - but that's true for the Nouvo Elegance as well.

Honda's PCX has its zealous advocates too, but rather than opening that can of worms here, I'll stick to what it is you have asked about.B)

Right now the two top automatics are Honda's PCX and the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135. Of the two, I'd give a decided edge to the Honda albeit at its signficantly higher cost----around 70,000 baht versus 52000-55000. Both drive superbly and completely outclass stock Honda Waves or smaller automatics such as Honda Clicks, Yamaha Mios and Finos. Honda has obviously spent a lot of time completely upgrading its top automatic and the result is an evolutionary step forward over its rival the Nouvo Elegance. Let's face it, Americans and Europeans are signficantly heavier than they were when I was in college---at least 25 pounds more and Europeans are not that far behind. And due to a more Western style diet many Asians have grown larger as well. For a motorbike of 125 c.c. displacement the PCX is very large, possibly 50 pounds heavier than a 125 c.c. Wave and it has HUGE tires that seem as if they belong on a motorcycle with a 400 c.c. or even larger displacement. This no doubt makes it VERY stable and roadworthy. So a Western driver who is likely to be pretty large is going to feel a lot more comfortable on a PCX and due to its large tires and much heavier weight it's going to be safer as well. But the larger an engine's displacement the more gasoline it's going to take to feed it so I think Honda pretty well figured out that 125 c.c's if it's well engineered is all the average motorcylists needs in typical Asian driving conditions. Although the PCX handles extremely well it is heavier and wider than the Nouvo Elegance and its superb mirrors are going to make it more difficult to get through the narrowest gaps in traffic simply because they are a little wider apart than a Nouvo's. The Nouvo will also be more agile than the PCX. The Nouvo has more hooks and anchor points to carry grocery bags from or for strapping relatively large objects to the back of the bike such as desktop computers and spears (don't laugh because I've actually strapped a spear down on my Nouvo). From what I gather the PCX delivers tremendous fuel economy and its relatively large (for a scooter) 6.2 liter fuel tank compared to the Honda Airblades 4 liter tank and the Elegance's 4,8 liter tank gives it comparatively a huge increase in range. So, when it comes to range and it being a pain in the derriere to go very often to gas stations, the PCX is in a class by itself. The color scheme of the PCX is very simple and attractive with its absence of decals and multi colored paint schemes most bikes here have. With itas attractive lines and absence of so much busy work the PCX is in a class by itself. Its in most departments the top dog now, but we can expect Yamaha to have an answer to it in due course. Still, the Yamaha has key advantages over the PCX which will make it the best choice for some.

However, when we compare the Airblade to the Nouvo Elegance the Nouvo runs circles around the Air Blade. Its power advantage is decisive. If the Air Blade had better brakes than the older Nouvo, the MX, the Elegance either matches the Air Blade or comes close. Although the Air Blade handles well and is very stable, the Nouvo Elegance cannot be considered inferior. About the only department the Airblade tops the Nouvo Elegance is possibly in some of its color schemes. The Airblade was a great bike in its day and I still enjoy renting them but there is no way it can begin to match the 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance. And as to someone else's comment that his gf doesn't care for the large size of the Nouvo, that's a lot of rubbish. None of the bikes we are discussing here are large. Practically any Thai woman can comfortably handle an Airblade, Nouvo Elegance or even the PCX so long as her boyfriend tells her, "Sorry honey. I'm getting the bike I like so you are just going to have to live with that".

Right now the two top automatics are Honda's PCX and the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135. Of the two, I'd give a decided edge to the Honda albeit at its signficantly higher cost----around 70,000 baht versus 52000-55000. Both drive superbly and completely outclass stock Honda Waves or smaller automatics such as Honda Clicks, Yamaha Mios and Finos. Honda has obviously spent a lot of time completely upgrading its top automatic and the result is an evolutionary step forward over its rival the Nouvo Elegance. Let's face it, Americans and Europeans are signficantly heavier than they were when I was in college---at least 25 pounds more and Europeans are not that far behind. And due to a more Western style diet many Asians have grown larger as well. For a motorbike of 125 c.c. displacement the PCX is very large, possibly 50 pounds heavier than a 125 c.c. Wave and it has HUGE tires that seem as if they belong on a motorcycle with a 400 c.c. or even larger displacement. This no doubt makes it VERY stable and roadworthy. So a Western driver who is likely to be pretty large is going to feel a lot more comfortable on a PCX and due to its large tires and much heavier weight it's going to be safer as well. But the larger an engine's displacement the more gasoline it's going to take to feed it so I think Honda pretty well figured out that 125 c.c's if it's well engineered is all the average motorcylists needs in typical Asian driving conditions. Although the PCX handles extremely well it is heavier and wider than the Nouvo Elegance and its superb mirrors are going to make it more difficult to get through the narrowest gaps in traffic simply because they are a little wider apart than a Nouvo's. The Nouvo will also be more agile than the PCX. The Nouvo has more hooks and anchor points to carry grocery bags from or for strapping relatively large objects to the back of the bike such as desktop computers and spears (don't laugh because I've actually strapped a spear down on my Nouvo). From what I gather the PCX delivers tremendous fuel economy and its relatively large (for a scooter) 6.2 liter fuel tank compared to the Honda Airblades 4 liter tank and the Elegance's 4,8 liter tank gives it comparatively a huge increase in range. So, when it comes to range and it being a pain in the derriere to go very often to gas stations, the PCX is in a class by itself. The color scheme of the PCX is very simple and attractive with its absence of decals and multi colored paint schemes most bikes here have. With itas attractive lines and absence of so much busy work the PCX is in a class by itself. Its in most departments the top dog now, but we can expect Yamaha to have an answer to it in due course. Still, the Yamaha has key advantages over the PCX which will make it the best choice for some.

However, when we compare the Airblade to the Nouvo Elegance the Nouvo runs circles around the Air Blade. Its power advantage is decisive. If the Air Blade had better brakes than the older Nouvo, the MX, the Elegance either matches the Air Blade or comes close. Although the Air Blade handles well and is very stable, the Nouvo Elegance cannot be considered inferior. About the only department the Airblade tops the Nouvo Elegance is possibly in some of its color schemes. The Airblade was a great bike in its day and I still enjoy renting them but there is no way it can begin to match the 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance. And as to someone else's comment that his gf doesn't care for the large size of the Nouvo, that's a lot of rubbish. None of the bikes we are discussing here are large. Practically any Thai woman can comfortably handle an Airblade, Nouvo Elegance or even the PCX so long as her boyfriend tells her, "Sorry honey. I'm getting the bike I like so you are just going to have to live with that".

Great review that, great review, i think im sold on the Nouvo

Thanks jackcorbett for the detaled review.

I own Nouvo Elegance which I really enjoy. It's perfect for the city. My choose 2 years ago were between the Airblade and the Nouvo Elegance. I still own a CBR500 1980 which I bought (wish I had it here) new so I love Honda's but the Elegance won hands down.

I'm sure today I would go for the PCX and still might when they come out with a red one. I saw a photo here on TV of a PCX in red...wow sure did like it.

I bought my wife a new bike this year and being the last of the big spenders I told her she could have any bike she wanted. I was hoping she would want a Nouvo Elegance because she uses her bike for shopping....but NOOOO it is to big for her "her words" so we ended up with the the work horse Dream 125 Honda. She's happy and loves the bike.

I have rented a carburator Airblade for months, then a brand new Nouvo Elegance for 5 months, and I am now the owner of a Airblade PGM FI.

The Nouvo has more power and acceleration but I decided to buy the Airblade because I found the ride much more enjoyable with it.

IMHO Airblade outmatches the Nouvo for

- handling, stability, potholes and bumps absorption

- curves and slippery roads, it feels safer than the nouvo

- seating position

- style

- commands on handlebar

- fuel tank access

- seat storage (more spacious although shaped differently)

The nouvo is better for

- performance in straight line

- seat texture (gets dry super fast after the rain)

- lights

- instrument panel (looks neat, although it's hard to see if the blinkers are on or off)

- availabillity (it was very hard to find a new Airblade in Phuket!)

In my not humble opinion at all the PCX looks ugly and pretentious and I wouldn't like being seen riding it (even though it looks super comfy). :)

Edited by snoother

Thanks jackcorbett for the detaled review.

I own Nouvo Elegance which I really enjoy. It's perfect for the city. My choose 2 years ago were between the Airblade and the Nouvo Elegance. I still own a CBR500 1980 which I bought (wish I had it here) new so I love Honda's but the Elegance won hands down.

I'm sure today I would go for the PCX and still might when they come out with a red one. I saw a photo here on TV of a PCX in red...wow sure did like it.

I bought my wife a new bike this year and being the last of the big spenders I told her she could have any bike she wanted. I was hoping she would want a Nouvo Elegance because she uses her bike for shopping....but NOOOO it is to big for her "her words" so we ended up with the the work horse Dream 125 Honda. She's happy and loves the bike.

Hate to tempt you but I was in Mityon on the corner of 3rd Road and Pattaya Tai a couple of days ago and they had a red one (PCX) in the showroom ! :ph34r: Would have been interested myself if I hadn't already bought a white one. Looked like a special paint job so probably quite a bit dearer than the standard colour schemes.

Oops - just seen you are in Chiang Mai, it would have to be a heck of a temptation to make you come this far!

Edited by gmac

Right now the two top automatics are Honda's PCX and the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135. Of the two, I'd give a decided edge to the Honda albeit at its signficantly higher cost----around 70,000 baht versus 52000-55000.

Yamaha quoted me 58 something with wire wheels and 60 something with mags on the new 2011 colors elegance..

So less of a difference than it was or non standard pricing from Yammie CM.

Of the 2 mentioned I prefer the nuovo from the airblade, just feels bigger and as a big guy the airblade is too small.. Plus the smaller wheels make it more bumpy and if doing 50km a day.. Would be a clincher.

PCX better than both of them tho, and much smoother.

"Hate to tempt you but I was in Mityon on the corner of 3rd Road and Pattaya Tai a couple of days ago and they had a red one (PCX) in the showroom ! :ph34r: Would have been interested myself if I hadn't already bought a white one. Looked like a special paint job so probably quite a bit dearer than the standard colour schemes.

Oops - just seen you are in Chiang Mai, it would have to be a heck of a temptation to make you come this far!"

Hay what a great idea, I'm going to Pattaya to find a red PCX honey, may take 2 weeks to find it.:))

Thanks for the temptation gmac, once I see the red one here I may go for it. Thanks for the post.

Edited by sendbaht

To the OP, I think you have gotten a good cross section of the opinions on the Airblade and Nouvo, with additional views (not directly requested) on the PCX. There are obviously fans of each of the three. But they do represent 3 of the best choices in automatic motorbikes in Thailand today. The majority would, I think, choose/recommend the Nouvo over the Airblade, but choose the PCX over both of them. The PCX costs more, but to most owners (including me) it is worth the difference. Beyond that, it is strictly personal preference and budget. Rent and drive all three, and then decide. It will be hard to make a "wrong" choice if you select one within that group. Cheers,

A scooter is a scooter.:D

Motorbikes are much better.:rolleyes:

The momentum of wheels with a greater diameter adds a lot to the stability to a two wheeler. Therefore driving a scooter is much more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. I.e., in a critical situation, when a motorcycle starts to slide during cornering, it still can be controlled, as you feel it, but when driving a scooter in a similar situation, you will hit the tarmac almost instantly. Plain physical thruth...

For the same reason, you will see experienced riders rather on a motorcycle, than on a scooter.

I hope scooters are a passing fad, as they do not contribute to road safety.

:redcard1:

Airblade vs Nouvo Elegance vs PCX

The Airblade has much faster accelleration from start.

The Airblade has much better manuverability in town.

Thai girls prefer the Airblade (but would prefer a pink Click)

The Nouvo Elegance is better on open raods and up mountains.

The PCX does nothing well .... apart from pretend to be a motorcycle.

Just my opinion.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Airblade vs Nouvo Elegance vs PCX

The Airblade has much faster accelleration from start.

The Airblade has much better manuverability in town.

Thai girls prefer the Airblade (but would prefer a pink Click)

The Nouvo Elegance is better on open raods and up mountains.

The PCX does nothing well .... apart from pretend to be a motorcycle.

Just my opinion.

Ride all 3 at over 80kph and the pcx is so far ahead its not funny.. Almost as good as a 17 inch wheeled spark or similar..

Over 100 and the other 2 feel downright dangerous, yet the pcx still feels planted and smooth, isnt bumping around..

Initially I too hated it.. But testing one longer term, its by far the smoothest auto.

HI Everyone,

Thanks everyone for the advice, it seems that PCX is top followed by a flip a coin on either the Nouvo and Airblade.

I finnaly went out and brought a Nouvo Elegance and probably the only thik that swung was it was slightly bigger but i have no regrets its really a nice bike..

Swerving off topic slightly there is one thing that i would take from the Airblade that is not on the Nouvo and that is the automatic cutout when the stand is down, does anybody know if this would be a difficult thing to impliment on the Nouvo and how many miles should you run the bike in and max speed while running?

cheers for the advice everyone much appreciated

BKK

Edited by 2008bangkok

2008Bangkok,

This sub-forum has had from time to time the English manual for the Elegance to see or download. I can't find it just now (quickly), but maybe a new thread will get you the thing from someone who has it or knows where it went. Or someone else will come forward to answer your QUESTION.

Of course, you'll get the Thai one, and a translator will help you sort out the break-in info; also some of the numbers are easy to figure.

As someone else wrote, you cannot have gone wrong and for my money, you got the best compromise all around.

Edited by CMX