Heads Up People

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check posts # 22 & # 23 here

We've just had a government truck pass our house with loudspeakers blaring in Thai to be very careful tonight and tomorrow as a big storm was expected to hit the island at about 9pm tonight.

lets hope the wind changes quickly

time to batten down the hatches

We've just had a government truck pass our house with loudspeakers blaring in Thai to be very careful tonight and tomorrow as a big storm was expected to hit the island at about 9pm tonight.

i think if you leave in a house made of bricks you will be ok, its the Thais that live in Shanty huts that need to be worried, also be carful on your Motorbikes as there maybe a lot of debris flying around

i think if you leave in a house made of bricks you will be ok, its the Thais that live in Shanty huts that need to be worried, also be carful on your Motorbikes as there maybe a lot of debris flying around

Fine Words of wisdom Boater! 8pm sat in my beach hut- swift breeze blowing through clearing the hard to reach cobwebs and a splashing of wet drizzle pattering on the roof- should i be worried?

Fine Words of wisdom Boater! 8pm sat in my beach hut- swift breeze blowing through clearing the hard to reach cobwebs and a splashing of wet drizzle pattering on the roof- should i be worried?

Depends on which beach. If you are on the (South)East coast and unprotected by a reef or such, your beach hut may get a more permanent cleaning, when tomorrow at around 10am high tide is combined with 75km/hr gusts of wind and 3,5 meter waves. This is one of the very few days, I am happy to not live on the beach...

I live here directly on the beach since 20 years and so far no problema at all.

All that is nothing compared to the climate in the mid 90es. Could hardly open the door then because of strong winds for weeks. It rained horizontally. Coconuts crashing through the roof like iron anvils. 1 week no electricity, no problem.

Edited by Birdman

All that is nothing compared to the climate in the mid 90es. Could hardly open the door then because of strong winds for weeks. It rained vertically. Coconuts crashing through the roof like iron anvils. 1 week no electricity, no problem.

Am on laumi beach area- the breeze is very refreshing- picking up a bit now and the water is growling like a Bengal tiger on the hunt....(i've had worse)- rain stopped, power is still on- blue skies tomorrow for another day in paradise living the dream

Admit it everyone you're all waiting for that big three day long storm so you can hibernate with the crates of beer and other goodies.

As far as I have seen, most ex-pats don't need any excuse to sit around and get tanked every day and night....

emmmm. The force is stong here. i feel nagative vibes comming from tracer round. who are u and where u come from are male or female also thai or forang. no comment will not do. also if u r thai then yr english is better than mine. maybe u can suggest an english school for me and my new born baby. need to revise.

All that is nothing compared to the climate in the mid 90es. Could hardly open the door then because of strong winds for weeks. It rained vertically. Coconuts crashing through the roof like iron anvils. 1 week no electricity, no problem.

Am on laumi beach area- the breeze is very refreshing- picking up a bit now and the water is growling like a Bengal tiger on the hunt....(i've had worse)- rain stopped, power is still on- blue skies tomorrow for another day in paradise living the dream

Might have this conversation in a couple of days. Keep safe.

Admit it everyone you're all waiting for that big three day long storm so you can hibernate with the crates of beer and other goodies.

As far as I have seen, most ex-pats don't need any excuse to sit around and get tanked every day and night....

True. It does however remove any lingering doubt.

The tropical depression was re classified as a cyclone last night. It hit around 3am. Took down a few trees in the garden and is busy dumping lots of water on Samui. As per normal the electric lasted about 5 minutes once the heavy stuff started this morning.

I wonder how many people wished they had taken the time to get their boats out of the water this morning ? :o

Its still classed as a depression on the tmd site, where did you get the info it was classed as a typhoon (It is not called a cyclone nor a hurricane in the pacific)?

Post office told one of our staff the power would be off for 3 days, came back on about two hours later. :)

The marine police called the Mayor Crusty last night to tell him it had been upgraded to a cyclone. He looked on the weather sites used by sailors to get the weather information rather than the landlubber site we tend to use.

Here is a defenition

A tropical cyclone is the common name given for hurricanes, tropical storms, and tropical depressions together. The benefit of understanding tropical cyclone origination is a better understanding of later development.

I think that covers what we are getting ?

Regardless of what you want to call the thing it is wreaking havoc here but at least the electric has come back on.

Up in Plai Laem the power did not come on until 8 pm tonight.

No land lines and big problems with access on the mobile network. "Network busy" is popular.

No impassable roads between Plai Laem and Chewang that I know of, except for the one from Big Buddha to Choengmon (from the 7/11 at BB.)

The strong winds are causing big damage to some properties on the east side of the hill where I live.

oops. Spoke too soon.

10.45 pm and it looks like the whole island is out. I cannot see any lights anywhere - even on KPN. (Except Sixth Sense and their generator.)

An interesting day tomorrow?

It does look very dark all around Samui. Weird that I still have electricity, behind Laem Din in Chaweng...

I am very grateful for this post, as I was truly unsighted, and thanks to all the other thoughtful posters that gave weather websites etc. Useful info like this makes this forum a real pleasure to use, and makes up, almost totally, for the usual banal comments that litter it.