Anti-Thai Govt 'Red Power' Mag Stranded On Cambodian Border

webfact

RED MAGAZINE

'Red power' mag stranded on Cambodian border

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_13613.jpg

After nearly two months of silence, the hard-hitting anti-government Red Power magazine is back in print, though its editor Somyos Prueksakasemsuk is having a hard time moving 30,000 copies of the latest edition from Cambodia into Thailand due to alleged border blockade by the authorities.

"We're trying," Somyos told The Nation yesterday.

Cambodia is not the preferred choice for Somyos, but after 12 Thai printing houses turned him down, including three in Chiang Mai - former PM Thaksin Shinawatra's stronghold - due to fear of government harassment, Somyos had no other option.

"There is no freedom. There is no space for us to express ourselves even though we chose to fight peacefully," he said in reference to the situation in Thailand when it comes to opposition media.

Somyos, himself detained under the emergency decree for weeks after May 19, said no distributors would carry his publication because they're "afraid", adding that authorities checked the last distributor's two years' worth of tax records.

Despite the fact that most copies of this fortnightly magazine have not arrived in Thailand yet, Somyos appears hopeful that something can be done about it. The publication is now priced at Bt45 instead of Bt40 to reflect the higher cost of printing overseas.

"Normally, we can transport things [into the Kingdom] easily. Now the officers at checkpoints are meticulous," he said, adding that the beefed up border checkpoints may have to do with his magazine and the fact that the authorities are tightening the border to look out for fugitive red-shirt leader Arisman Pongruangrong.

If he succeeds in "smuggling" the magazine's copies into Thailand, Somyos said he would have to sell them by himself and rely on subscription. "The magazines haven't reached Bangkok yet," he reiterated.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-29

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit of a pointless excercise as most reds can' read. (joke)

But it does say a lot when freedom of speech is stifled through fear and intimidation. Even if you don't like what is being said. (and army generals tell people when they can and can't demonstrate).

"We're trying," Somyos told The Nation yesterday.

Indeed, that was very noticeable earlier on this year when the Red Shirts indulged in a little vandalism and hooliganism and violence in Bangkok.

Edited by siampolee

But it does say a lot when freedom of speech is stifled through fear and intimidation. Even if you don't like what is being said. (and army generals tell people when they can and can't demonstrate).

The reds brought this upon themselves. If their protests were peaceful, then they would probably still be protesting and websites would not be blocked. This guys statement:

"There is no freedom. There is no space for us to express ourselves even though we chose to fight peacefully," he said in reference to the situation in Thailand when it comes to opposition media.

When did they ever fight peacefully? He's a bit off there....

There is no space for us to express ourselves even though we chose to fight peacefully

Bit of a money quote. The two April uprisings were anything if peaceful.

Might as well let em circulate the rag. If you have ever seen it you would realise it is utter garbage and only an indoctrinated brain dead would bother reading it. All those who think the Nation is a bit suspect in journalistic standards ougth to try reading this propaganda sheet, or for that matter any of the other red indoctrination specials. they tend to make the Burmese Juntas media mouthpieces look balanced.

Edited by hammered

Give up - dry.gif and get a life!

Do you really deny people the right to express themselves in writing ??

The only things that can be said are what you approve ??

Is this your case ?

The problem with this mag is that is affronted the monarchy. And according to the CRES, it incited hatred and violence. Plus, it was initially closed as the factory it was being produced in was not approved. I'm sure if that was the case in your home country, it would get shut down also...even if it was printing bibles.

I hear ya on freedom of speech. I'm from the US and that's a big deal to us. So I fully support it! But if you print you want to kill, injure or kidnap the president, you're going to jail....which is not a bad thing...

"Red Rag" and "Bull" come to mind, but not in the usual sense.

"Do you really deny people the right to express themselves in writing ??

The only things that can be said are what you approve ??"

PhilW, do you deny someone the right to shout "Fire!" in a theatre (a false alarm)? Reasonable people do.

Somyos Prueksakasemsuk has the right to write his hate speech, inciting violence and criminal acts. But that doesn't mean that reasonable people can't discourage publishers, and they can certainly ban its importation. If you have a burning desire to read it, take your B45 to Cambodia, you'll probably get 2 copies for the price of one. Consider while reading it, how you would feel if it was inciting people to kill PhilW, his wife, children and family.

Is this your case ?

Featured photo from the last issue in September 2010. Would this be tolerated in your country?

TH

post-7298-073723300 1288322532_thumb.jpg

The reds brought this upon themselves. If their protests were peaceful, then they would probably still be protesting and websites would not be blocked. This guys statement:

True, the riots and violence were unacceptable (My wife's sister lost her mobile phone shop in center one when it was burnt down). But for how long do you use that violence carried out by a minority, as a reason for persecuting the majority. 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 10 years??

Just out of interest, has anyone ever read a copy of this magazine? or do we rely on the Thai, English Language media (the Nation) to spoon feed us our understanding of the 'red menace'. If not, how do we know it's as bad as portrayed??

Before people label me a red. I am neither red nor yellow, just an observer.

True, the riots and violence were unacceptable (My wife's sister lost her mobile phone shop in center one when it was burnt down). But for how long do you use that violence carried out by a minority, as a reason for persecuting the majority. 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 10 years??

Just out of interest, has anyone ever read a copy of this magazine? or do we rely on the Thai, English Language media (the Nation) to spoon feed us our understanding of the 'red menace'. If not, how do we know it's as bad as portrayed??

Actually, most of the information from Red Power gets fed to us from 2Bangkok.com. The Nation doesn't rehash the Red Power stories.

Featured photo from the last issue in September 2010. Would this be tolerated in your country?

TH

Actually, yes...it would be tolerated...but might end up in a really painful lawsuit.

Sorry to hear about your wife's sister. I'm sure many, many, many good Thais lost out during the protests.

I think most of us rely on the BKK Post and The Nation for our news. I for sure have seen some of the red publications...but they are so one sided...and full of lies...that I gave up. They are just ridiculous...

But thanks for the heads up on 2bangkok.com. I will check this out for sure!

"Red Rag" and "Bull" come to mind, but not in the usual sense.

"Do you really deny people the right to express themselves in writing ??

The only things that can be said are what you approve ??"

PhilW, do you deny someone the right to shout "Fire!" in a theatre (a false alarm)? Reasonable people do.

Somyos Prueksakasemsuk has the right to write his hate speech, inciting violence and criminal acts. But that doesn't mean that reasonable people can't discourage publishers, and they can certainly ban its importation. If you have a burning desire to read it, take your B45 to Cambodia, you'll probably get 2 copies for the price of one. Consider while reading it, how you would feel if it was inciting people to kill PhilW, his wife, children and family.

Yes... as an example;

'Let's all got to PhilWs house and pour blood on the gates, and throw bags of feces over the walls. It's a form of protest, because PhilW doesn't let us talk positive about the Dems here, without castigating us or hassling us with non-sequiters, so lets go throw stuff at him.'

As you can see, you would not be amused by this talk, especially if we included your address... Even if i had the right to seriously advocate such.

If we also advocated that angry people also harmed you,

you would like it even less.

Edited by animatic

Is this your case ?

The problem with this mag is that is affronted the monarchy. And according to the CRES, it incited hatred and violence. Plus, it was initially closed as the factory it was being produced in was not approved. I'm sure if that was the case in your home country, it would get shut down also...even if it was printing bibles.

I hear ya on freedom of speech. I'm from the US and that's a big deal to us. So I fully support it! But if you print you want to kill, injure or kidnap the president, you're going to jail....which is not a bad thing...

"according to the CRES..." says it all.

Personally I think it's a rag however even anti royal mags are allowed to be published in the UK.( to answer your question )

Want hear a good Diana joke ??

Is this your case ?

TH

Yes.

For sure.

And why not ?

Yes.

For sure.

And why not ?

I'm not so sure. I will change my mind if you can provide a similar picture of your country's prime minister or president in a magazine published by the opposition party.

If such a picture were published in my country the lawsuits for such an action would be numerous and costly. Public interests groups would be hysterical. Public protests would be likely.

Any organization that published something along these lines would be hounded and/or sued out of existence. I doubt there would be criminal charges though.

So I think it would be allowed, but not tolerated.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Is this your case ?

"according to the CRES..." says it all.

Personally I think it's a rag however even anti royal mags are allowed to be published in the UK.( to answer your question )

Want hear a good Diana joke ??

I don't fully agree with your comment about the CRES. It may not be perfect, but it sure ain't the devil either....unless you were a red shirt protester trying to burn down BKK. :)

I hear ya re:the UK. But we are in Thailand and defamation of the monarchy is a huge NO NO. A law these rags violated...

In the US, you could draw a mustache on a pic of Obama. No big deal. Remember that guy in CM who did that to the king's pic? He is now gone...

I for sure have seen some of the red publications...but they are so one sided...and full of lies...that I gave up. They are just ridiculous...

Yes they are one sided, that is called propaganda.

Have you read the Bible: it is one sided and full of lies, still many people read it. (I won't mention other religious books to avoid problems :)

It's not because a publication is one sided that it should be banned.

I for sure have seen some of the red publications...but they are so one sided...and full of lies...that I gave up. They are just ridiculous...

Yes they are one sided, that is called propaganda.

Have you read the Bible: it is one sided and full of lies, still many people read it. (I won't mention other religious books to avoid problems :)

It's not because a publication is one sided that it should be banned.

For sure. I agree with that. But when they blame the military for ALL the deaths, when they say there were NO armed red guards, when they deny inciting violence....then I have a problem. One sided propaganda is OK...telling out and out lies to trash your opponent is not OK. And again...here in Thailand...some of what they write is against the lese majeste laws. So clearly illegal...though they blame persecution for this one also. It just gets old. Man up! Take responsibility for some of your actions. Apologize to the businesses that were hurt by your actions. Renounce violence in your rags. Then I would be more on their side.

Is this your case ?

TH

Yes.

For sure.

And why not ?

How about - Because Anarchy is a Bad Thing ...

I would gladly do a "border run" for them and bring in a few copies on their behalf to accelerate the socio-economic evolution of these backwaters of the world ;)

Unlikely for a friendly farang to checked... but I wonder what would happen to me if I did get stopped & searched...

As the magazine has been shut down I assume the publisher has been charged with a criminal offences and now out on bail.

This incident will probably land him back in jail.

We all have to work within the framework of the "Rule Of Law" otherwise there can be no "Normalicy" in Thailand.

I would gladly do a "border run" for them and bring in a few copies on their behalf to accelerate the socio-economic evolution of these backwaters of the world ;)

Unlikely for a friendly farang to checked... but I wonder what would happen to me if I did get stopped & searched...

Exactly the same thing as would have happened if an American immigration officer had found you with an American equivalent of the publication in question. He and his superior would have refused you entry and sent you back - as is their authority to do

Is this your case ?

That is exactly the line the reds have. They have clearly stated that they are not interested in democracy or free speech. Typical red double standard then to claim it for themselves now. Som nam na.

As the magazine has been shut down I assume the publisher has been charged with a criminal offences and now out on bail.

This incident will probably land him back in jail.

We all have to work within the framework of the "Rule Of Law" otherwise there can be no "Normalicy" in Thailand.

If I am not mistaken, it was shutdown, in part, due to not having a license to manufacture a magazine at the facility where they were. So that, in and of itself, is enough to close it down and it is within the rule of law. Perfectly normal. Of course, there was also the political issues. But the first trumps the second.

Exactly the same thing as would have happened if an American immigration officer had found you with an American equivalent of the publication in question. He and his superior would have refused you entry and sent you back - as is their authority to do

In the US or pretty much any other country in the world. Try visiting Tibet wearing a "Free Tibet" t-shirt. I guarantee you will have a very hard time. This magazine will hardly advance the socio-economic evolution of Thailand...if nothing else, push it backwards...