New Pedestrian Crossings

easyride

Great idea the pedestrian crossings. I took a walk from Central Festival to Tukcom today to see how many there were. I think I counted 5 new crossings, Not one was working. To be fair one was bereft of electricity (RIP) but I pressed the cross now button on all the rest and the light remained green fror the traffic and red for the pedestrian. The countdowns didn't move from the -- and in the shade I waited 12 minutes at one crossing (Mike department store) where I could see the green of the next crossing outside the Apex hotel. And this after only TWO DAYS. Heaven help us if this Monorail ever happens.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least if the light for the pedestrians stays red it will cut down on the death toll the working lights might cause.

Actually the pedestrian lights do turn green and the lights for motorists go red.

A Thai with a motor under his ass won't be impressed at all and goes on full speed.

So if a european person crossing, being used to have the right of way gets run over

possibility one full speed ahead or the explanation that this damm person walked

into the car. Probably always a looser when caught in a Thai rak Thai business.

Scary place.

At least if the light for the pedestrians stays red it will cut down on the death toll the working lights might cause.

Actually the pedestrian lights do turn green and the lights for motorists go red.

A Thai with a motor under his ass won't be impressed at all and goes on full speed.

So if a european person crossing, being used to have the right of way gets run over

possibility one full speed ahead or the explanation that this damm person walked

into the car. Probably always a looser when caught in a Thai rak Thai business.

Scary place.

READ the OP this whole thread is because they are NOT working

They put up a whole lot of new pedestrian crossings with lights in Chiangmai a few years back. Now most of them have been removed because motorists took no notice of them. In Pattaya it will be the same. But influential person made some money putting them up and that was the real point.

Didn't one of the publicity releases suggest that you had to wait for up to 20 minutes for a green crossing light. At the time I thought it was a mistranslation and meant 20 seconds, but maybe this would explain the naff 2nd Road situation

They put up a whole lot of new pedestrian crossings with lights in Chiangmai a few years back. Now most of them have been removed because motorists took no notice of them. In Pattaya it will be the same. But influential person made some money putting them up and that was the real point.

A LOT of money! 42 Crossings at a total cost of 129 Million Baht!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by LennyW

As we probably all know, a law is only as valuable as it can be enforced.

In Europe, a motorist ignoring a red light has a photo been taken which results in a fine.

When in Thailand this is not done, then motorists don't care and this will result in a dangerous situation

mainly for tourists, as locals would't dare counting on their right to pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, walking back to Central from Avenues, I tried a few of the lights. All I tried changed within 5 minutes. The traffic continued as though the light was green, EXCEPT, if people started walking across the vehicles stopped and allowed them across safely. On the last light I tried, although I hadn't started walking, cars stopped, so I crossed.

Perhaps, once they've been operating for a while, drivers will eventually start stopping for red.

I'm very surprised the BIB haven't started issuing tickets- a potential goldmine at present.

Gentlemen-these multi-functunal crossings are not intended for road safety purposes,they are merely part of Pattayas attempt to brighten up the city in preparation for the Christmas celebration-around 20,000 santa claus hats (complete with flasing lights) will be distributed by the police as soon as possible after the 31st. of December.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

...for the Christmas celebration-around 20,000 santa claus hats (complete with flasing lights) will be distributed by the police as soon as possible after the 31st. of December.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow that remind me of the last time i had to call the italian embassy to fix an appointment for getting a visa, the staff i had to deal with were all Thais and more or less it went like this:

Me: " hello i need to get a Visa before the 15th as i got a ticket to fly out for that date"

Embassy: " ok Sil, let me see, we have time on the 20th, do you want to come that date?"

Me: " Sorry i think we are having a communication problem here, maybe i didn't explain myself properly, let me try again, i already booked a flight so for the 15th, so i need to get a visa before that date"

Embassy: " ok i undelstand Sil, do you want to come the 19th? "

Me: " ciao"

Last night, walking back to Central from Avenues, I tried a few of the lights. All I tried changed within 5 minutes. The traffic continued as though the light was green, EXCEPT, if people started walking across the vehicles stopped and allowed them across safely. On the last light I tried, although I hadn't started walking, cars stopped, so I crossed.

Perhaps, once they've been operating for a while, drivers will eventually start stopping for red.

I'm very surprised the BIB haven't started issuing tickets- a potential goldmine at present.

Well, I'm not crossing roads in Europe either unless I'm sure any traffic is slowing down. And I'am always showing very clearly that my intent is to cross the road. That cars stop if someone is trying to cross on green light is actually promising.

Interesting. Maybe all they actually needed to do was to use the Belisha beacon style orange lamps used in the UK, flashing on either side of the existing crossings (with a repaint on the roads) and the problem would have been solved. Certainly I've always found that no-one has particularly wanted to run me over as I've jaywalked across the roads; someone usually slows to let me cross. Traffic lights seem to be taken as an affront to their dignity by the Thais as if they are somehow losing face by being told when to stop. Perhaps flashing lights fit in better with their mentality. Suggestion rather than direct command.

Wow that remind me of the last time i had to call the italian embassy to fix an appointment for getting a visa, the staff i had to deal with were all Thais and more or less it went like this:

Me: " hello i need to get a Visa before the 15th as i got a ticket to fly out for that date"

Embassy: " ok Sil, let me see, we have time on the 20th, do you want to come that date?"

Me: " Sorry i think we are having a communication problem here, maybe i didn't explain myself properly, let me try again, i already booked a flight so for the 15th, so i need to get a visa before that date"

Embassy: " ok i undelstand Sil, do you want to come the 19th? "

Me: " ciao"

A mate of mine had exactly the same conversation with the British Embassy.

But it's got nothing to do with pedestrian crossings has it?

Amazing Thailand.  When I wish to cross the road in Pattaya I enlist the services of the nearest comely young damsel. Many will hold my hand as she navigates me to where I want to be and it sometimes ends with an offer from them to take care of me - whatever that means. 

Hmm...

George's video showing the traffic run over the red light, and even police cars, is certainly disturbing.

On the other hand, I live in Zurich, Switzerland, and there are bloody traffic lights everywhere.

Some of them can be commanded by pedestrians, and those idiots will push the button even if there is almost no traffic. Sometimes I have no cars in front and no cars behind me and one of those tossers comes and pushes the button, and I am the only car to stop!

He/she/they would have had an eternity to pass after me, but no... When there is a button, no need for a brain.

I never had real trouble to cross beach road or second road.

One just needs to be patient at times, and the cars slow down to let you pass anyway.

Second road and beach road are very easy because the traffic is one way.

One place where the situation can be confusing is the intersection second road / pattaya tai - I think they should build a square pedestrian bridge there.

This morning (Monday) I walked down to the Villa market and back. The signals at Tipp Plaza and near the Lek hotel both had uniformed crossing guards. When someone wanted to cross the crossing guard would push the button, blow a referee's loud whistle, go out into Second Road, and start waving a flag at the cars. When he had all the cars stopped he would then gesture for the pedestrians to cross.

I imagine that if someone runs their signal they radio a cop at Second and Klang who stops and fines them, splitting the fine with the crossing guard. I didn't think to look but maybe the crossing guard has a motorbike for pursuit and gets all the fine for himself.

IN all fairness, since I wrote this post a couple weeks ago, the lights of most crossings seem to be working. Like I said before, the city needs to educate the drivers how to be more considerate with the pedestrian; for this is a city full of tourists who are use to more 'civilized' drivers. The zooming motor bikes whipping around the corner or going around a baht buss full speed seem to be the worse danger since they are difficult to see.

Gentlemen-these multi-functunal crossings are not intended for road safety purposes,they are merely part of Pattayas attempt to brighten up the city in preparation for the Christmas celebration-around 20,000 santa claus hats (complete with flasing lights) will be distributed by the police as soon as possible after the 31st. of December.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Indeed.

Purely ornamental for the festive season.

When there is a button, no need for a brain

Its the people that use their Brain in Traffic thats the problem in the first place. If everyone followed the rules - far less accidents. Thats why I keep hoping that one day computers will run cars.

Your post contradicts itself - the rules were made for people with defective brains, who are the people causing most accidents:

- speed to high for the situation (depending on the situation, while 50 KpH can be too much in a city, I think 300 KpH is OK on an empty German Autobahn)

- overtaking without visibility

- safety distance not kept (idiots who are 2 meters behind you at 100 KpH)

- wanting to impress someone

I would agree with your aspiration to let computers drive, my prerequisite would be that they should drive at least as fast as a good driver.

In Chiang Mai and several areas in Bangkok with pedestrian crossing lights the cars almost always stop when a pedestrian is crossing. I think that's a hel_l of a lot better than before the lights were there. It's still screwed up and dangerous, but I appreciate the effort (whatever is motivating it)!

Edited by ricklev

Just watched a pedestrian crossing at one of the lights on 2nd Road. He tried to do everything right, he pushed the button and stood waiting for the 20 second countdown but then there was a huge gap in the traffic while the light still showed red so he crossed. Result, 5 seconds later the lights change - lights for traffic go red for no apparent reason and drivers, understandably in my view (although wrong), ignore them - some actually slowed and looked first!! :o It's human nature - why stop when there is clearly nothing to stop for except an arbitrary red light?

Same moral dilemma on the railway roads the last 2 evenings the lights have been operative at Soi Nong Kraborg and Soi Talman causing occasional queues where there are usually none. From experience I can say that 80% of the time I can normally cross the railway roads when the lights are flashing without the need to stop, with the lights operating on the standard staggered 4-way fiasco system it becomes necessary to stop 75% of the time, often with no traffic present in the other 3 directions! Pretty efficient huh?

I really don't think traffic lights are the answer to any of Pattaya's traffic problems. Except maybe the answer to the question, what causes most traffic jams in Pattaya ? :annoyed: (That is of course excluding Baht buses)

Your post contradicts itself - the rules were made for people with defective brains, who are the people causing most accidents:

- speed to high for the situation (depending on the situation, while 50 KpH can be too much in a city, I think 300 KpH is OK on an empty German Autobahn)

- overtaking without visibility

- safety distance not kept (idiots who are 2 meters behind you at 100 KpH)

- wanting to impress someone

I would agree with your aspiration to let computers drive, my prerequisite would be that they should drive at least as fast as a good driver.

Road safety advice from a person who believes 300 Km/h is ok on an empty German Autobahn?

300 km/h is never safe no matter where you're driving,.

Edited by tropo

It's human nature - why stop when there is clearly nothing to stop for except an arbitrary red light?

In most countries you don't have a choice. You stop on red no matter what your "human nature" tells you or get a fine.

Leaving these things up to "human nature" is lethal.

Hmm...

George's video showing the traffic run over the red light, and even police cars, is certainly disturbing.

On the other hand, I live in Zurich, Switzerland, and there are bloody traffic lights everywhere.

Some of them can be commanded by pedestrians, and those idiots will push the button even if there is almost no traffic. Sometimes I have no cars in front and no cars behind me and one of those tossers comes and pushes the button, and I am the only car to stop!

He/she/they would have had an eternity to pass after me, but no... When there is a button, no need for a brain.

I never had real trouble to cross beach road or second road.

One just needs to be patient at times, and the cars slow down to let you pass anyway.

Second road and beach road are very easy because the traffic is one way.

One place where the situation can be confusing is the intersection second road / pattaya tai - I think they should build a square pedestrian bridge there.

AFAIK they can be fined if they cross over when the light is red. Good enough reason for me to keep pushing that button.

Back to the topic: After the Crossing Lights are working its time to get the Tourists educated to actually use them. Till now many of them are still to lazy to walk some meters to the next crossing.

AFAIK they can be fined if they cross over when the light is red. Good enough reason for me to keep pushing that button.

Back to the topic: After the Crossing Lights are working its time to get the Tourists educated to actually use them. Till now many of them are still to lazy to walk some meters to the next crossing.

Jaywalkers are fair game.

Just a thought, maybe these new crossings are sponsored by Bangkok Pattaya Hospital to boost their patient numbers??

Jaywalkers are fair game.

Just a thought, maybe these new crossings are sponsored by Bangkok Pattaya Hospital to boost their patient numbers??

I see the Beach Road and 2nd Road crossings working out quite well right now. Have seen traffic stopped at them dozens of times over the past week.