• 1 tbsp Corn flour
  • 1 tsp Baking soda
  • 1 tbsp Sesame oil or 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • 1 tbsp Soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Mix thoroughly and marinate in fridge for 24 hours.

Pan fry with a touch of oil, serve on a bed of egg noodles with loads of par boiled baby vegies.

Easiest way to tenderize local beef is to wrap it in a papaya leaf and hang it in the refrigerator for 48 hours. No need to destroy the beef by adding lots of weird flavoring.

Yes pen fed beef tenderloin is still available at Foodlands.

As for water buffalo being the source for beef that was long a common belief but in the old days water buffalo were too valuable for farm work to use for most meat and today there are cattle farms to supply beef.

Stew? Curry? Crockpot? Weird Marinades to disguise the taste? I thought that we were talking about tender tasty beef not cardboard. Buy the cheapest Thai beef that hangs in most village markets [110 Baht/Kg], store uncovered in the refrigerator (not freezer) to age for a week or ten days. Simply marinade in Kiwi Fruit pulp for a couple of hours maximum and Hey Presto! The tender texture and taste of true beef. Good for steak or that olde roast beef.

Edited by PEP

Stew? Curry? Crockpot? Weird Marinades to disguise the taste? I thought that we were talking about tender tasty beef not cardboard. Buy the cheapest Thai beef that hangs in most village markets [110 Baht/Kg], store uncovered in the refrigerator (not freezer) to age for a week or ten days. Simply marinade in Kiwi Fruit pulp for a couple of hours maximum and Hey Presto! The tender texture and taste of true beef. Good for steak or that olde roast beef.

I'll have you know that I have put an old leather shoe in a crock pot and I dare any one to tell the difference.:lol:

I'll have you know that I have put an old leather shoe in a crock pot and I dare any one to tell the difference.:lol:

Yes, and I bet you could still taste the sweaty sock and foot that had been in it!:rolleyes:

any thai beef can be ground up into mince (investigate meat grinders) that is suitable for burgers, bolognaise, chili, etc...that ol' grinding action sure does help to separate the sinews...

as far as bifstek, rosbif and etc is concerned...I only use meat to flavor the other ingredients...big chunks of meat aren't to my liking...

but I might try a beef stew one day...use the green papaya tenderizing method, works a treat...:)

Amazing what you can do with a crock pot with the toughest piece of meat.:whistling:

Especially with some potatoes, onions, garlic and yellow, Panang or Masaman curry paste.

Now your cooking.:licklips:

Sometimes I have put too much curry paste in and it brings a tear or two to my eyes and I start singing that old Johnny Cash song, Ring of Fire.

But it still tastes good.

Easiest way to tenderize local beef is to wrap it in a papaya leaf and hang it in the refrigerator for 48 hours. No need to destroy the beef by adding lots of weird flavoring.

WOW..GONNA TRY THAT WITH UNIDENTIFIED LUMPS OF "MARKET" BEEF...WHICH SIDE OF LEAF AGAINST THE MEAT???

A stew will not distort the taste.

Beef, onions, carrots, -little else. I doubt that the suet dumplings will adversely affect the taste

As to the op,it is the baking soda that will make any cut of beef tender.No need to add anything else.It will do it without waiting more then a few minutes.If you wait to long it will become "mushy".This is something that Chinese resturants have been doing for a long time.Adding baking soda to their sliced beef just before stire frying.

• 1 month later...

:whistling:

I don't wish to disagree but most of what is "tough" in meat...including Beef....is muscle fiber. What will break down that muscle is something acidic...Citrus juices like Lemon juice are often used. Vinegar will also work, but some people don't like the taste of vinegar.

Lime, Orange, Lemon, and even Pineapple juice can be added to water along with many other things added as flavorings...from Tomato sauce to Soy sauce...all depending on you particular taste to make a good marinade.

The marinade is they key to making "tough" meat tender. It just takes time to break down the muscle fiber in the meat.

"Ageing" meat does the same thing naturally.

Americans have this fetish thing about haveing their meat "fresh" and throwing it on the barbeque as fresh as possible.

Almost always, a good marinade, and the time required for it to work, is the key to tough meat being made tender.

I've marinated water Buffalo until it was tender, and had people comment on what nice tender Beef it was.

For meat that has a "gamey" taste (Mutton is one) you cam often remove much of that taste by first marinating the meat in a milk/water mixture. The milk counteracts the acid in the meat that gives it that "gamey" taste.

That ends the cooking lesson for today.

:rolleyes:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

at the various wet markets here in Chiang Mai there are a lot of collagen tough beef cuts but I can seem to always find beef tenderloins and filets. Not expensive either.

Just have a sharp eye for beef cuts and maybe time of day makes a difference. I suppose you talk to the vendor and reserve the good stuff.

It seems to cost about 140 to 160 baht per kilo.

No need to tenderize or marinate them and I have found them to be on par with a good pork tenderloin for softness. Good eats!!!