Newbie Drive To Bkk Advice Please!

Grant61

Safe Driving Everybody (and don't forget to flame me :) )

Fine, since you asked for it :) hehe

You sound like an experienced driver, but one that's (fortunately) never had the misfortune of a serious accident.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter how good you are behind the wheel, nor how much attention you're paying to everything going on around you, nor how much distance you're trying to keep etc etc etc. Sometimes there's just a frakking scud missile coming from the other direction that comes at you without any form or logic or reason. Been there, and have seen the effects of passengers being unrestrained. RIP.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

You sound like an experienced driver, but one that's (fortunately) never had the misfortune of a serious accident.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter how good you are behind the wheel, nor how much attention you're paying to everything going on around you, nor how much distance you're trying to keep etc etc etc. Sometimes there's just a frakking scud missile coming from the other direction that comes at you without any form or logic or reason. Been there, and have seen the effects of passengers being unrestrained. RIP.

Yes and sadly the most vulnerable who rely on their elders to keep them safe and be sensible are often the victims of such irresponsibility and shortsightedness.. :(

Yes and sadly the most vulnerable who rely on their elders to keep them safe and be sensible are often the victims of such irresponsibility and shortsightedness.. :(

Thanks MoonRiverOasis, I was hoping for something to scare me actually so I'm glad you posted, this will help me to keep discipline better

I have had one serious car accident in my days, 1982? (car), seen a pool of blood coming from the head of a young girl the same age as my daughter getting so big you'd wonder if there was any blood left in the body (mc no helmet) and numerous other more or less horrific bike accidents, seen the end result of passengers being unrestrained in several cases including one case so bad that waterhose seemed the most efficient way of getting the remains out of the car, almost hit the back of an elephant in 95? (mc), almost hit a buffaly outside Buriram in 2000 (also mc)...

The best teacher I've ever had was the 80,000 km I drove in Bangkok on motor cycle between 1992 and 1994?, I saw accidents with wounded people and blood every week, I do regularly remind myself of what I saw to help me drive safely. I still drive motor cycle in Bangkok every day by the way, it's gotten so much safer though, don't see real wake-up calls once per month even now a days. Now I got to write an absolutely horrible post reminding me even more, sorry guys, but it's a good wake-up call to drive more safely, we are not invulnerable.

You're not even coming close to matching real life as I have seen it Warpy

Safe Driving Everybody

Eh??? :huh:

<quote>

<end quote>

Eh??? :huh:

Playing stupid are you? What you wrote was aimed at me and I have replied exactly how I see security, being an elder having and taking responsibility for the people in the car I drive.

OK, OK, I'll explain: I simply write back that you have nothing to teach me about car safety Warpy

OK well at least by your impression I was just playing stupid though it was more about your delivery then my understanding. Where as you've proven that you have much to learn so not a true statement at all. Either that or you're just intentionally obtuse and an irresponsible danger to your children in which case in any civilized country you'd be in deep manure for your actions or lack thereof... And rightly so.... Occams razor.....

I'll also add that you're right I have nothing to teach ignorant closed minded people only uneducated people willing to learn..

Edited by WarpSpeed

OK well at least by your impression I was just playing stupid though it was more about your delivery then my understanding. Where as you've proven that you have much to learn so not a true statement at all. Either that or you're just intentionally obtuse and an irresponsible danger to your children in which case in any civilized country you'd be in deep manure for your actions or lack thereof... And rightly so.... Occams razor.....

I'll also add that you're right I have nothing to teach ignorant closed minded people only uneducated people willing to learn..

Car safety is what we make it, which is why I was happy to thank MoonRiverOasis for his comments, they help me to keep my discipline up and I will be a safer driver because of it. Of course I know my view is controversial but I find that it really works, if anyone reading this thread can benefit from getting attention moved a bit from after-event safety to before-event safety, then that is only positive

What do you think that your post above told the readers of this thread?

Car safety is what we make it, which is why I was happy to thank MoonRiverOasis for his comments, they help me to keep my discipline up and I will be a safer driver because of it. Of course I know my view is controversial but I find that it really works, if anyone reading this thread can benefit from getting attention moved a bit from after-event safety to before-event safety, then that is only positive

Exactly what I wanted it to and just as important as anything you've failed miserably to convey.. Of you course you arrogantly think that you're position is the only one that is/would be beneficial to anyone, another short coming of you I'm afraid.. You knew it before you posted too as you qualified it by ending it with the acceptance of being flamed for your foolish approach to your daughters safety and yet you still hold you're irresponsible and confrontational position and try to fire back at me about you having nothing to learn from me. Yet you contradict yourself by ignorant or blatantly being irresponsible about your daughters safety while in your car thinking your driving is beyond reproach and infallible but not taking into account others who may not be so infallible or capable as you?

Seems you've a lot to learn after the fact, it is only by the grace of whomever that your daughter has not been seriously injured to this point and nothing whatever to do with your super human driving capabilities that's a given..

I can guarantee without a doubt that I'm ten fold the driver you are and it's because I look at the big picture and am a "defensive" driver that my boys have been in car seats and seat belts since they were born and not bouncing around the car when a simple sudden stop or change of direction is required to avoid some mindless twit, (a common occurrence here especially for first rate defensive drivers) nor are they a major distraction to my driving and focus..

That's the lessons and advice I'm providing, for foolish and irresponsible people NOT to follow your mindless, arrogant position as an after thought and think about what the consequences may be if they don't think about the welfare of their family first.. My lesson trumps yours in spades...

Exactly what I wanted it to and just as important as anything you've failed miserably to convey.. Of you course you arrogantly think that you're position is the only one that is/would be beneficial to anyone, another short coming of you I'm afraid.. You knew it before you posted too as you qualified it by ending it with the acceptance of being flamed for your foolish approach to your daughters safety and yet you still hold you're irresponsible and confrontational position and try to fire back at me about you having nothing to learn from me. Yet you contradict yourself by ignorant or blatantly being irresponsible about your daughters safety while in your car thinking your driving is beyond reproach and infallible but not taking into account others who may not be so infallible or capable as you?

Seems you've a lot to learn after the fact, it is only by the grace of whomever that your daughter has not been seriously injured to this point and nothing whatever to do with your super human driving capabilities that's a given..

I can guarantee without a doubt that I'm ten fold the driver you are and it's because I look at the big picture and am a "defensive" driver that my boys have been in car seats and seat belts since they were born and not bouncing around the car when a simple sudden stop or change of direction is required to avoid some mindless twit, (a common occurrence here especially for first rate defensive drivers) nor are they a major distraction to my driving and focus..

That's the lessons and advice I'm providing, for foolish and irresponsible people NOT to follow your mindless, arrogant position as an after thought and think about what the consequences may be if they don't think about the welfare of their family first.. My lesson trumps yours in spades...

Read my posts warpy, you are ranting about what I do accept :lol: I hope that your misunderstanding doesn't give you a heart attack

I do think that it is better to be strapped in of course and I do advice people to strap themselves in too of course. I don't always follow that myself though... Surprise surprise. I have a weakness, wow. What I do argue is that safety is more than being strapped in and pre-event is much more important than post-event. The reason why I say this is that the emphasis has moved more and more from pre-event to post-event in terms of how safety is displayed to the public. Thailand is a very bad place for that. The same apply to how safety is displayed by the car manufacturers. Crash tests are against immovable objects while we all know that the real world will look nowhere near the crash test result when a small car with a 5 star rating is hit by a 2 ton pickup so common in Thailand. Like the discussion about safe car to buy here at ThaiVisa a while back. One point brought forward - SUV's and high cars are more prone to rolling in an accident vs. the point I brought up, you see better and can thereby avoid accidents better.

I would hardly encouraged flaming of myself if I had considered myself superhuman. And I didn't think that arrogant people normally encouraged flaming of themselves either but maybe I was wrong. I did it because it helps me to keep my discipline up and be a safer driver, I am happy to be reminded of it. And because I think others also can benefit from a discussion around that it can never be emphasised enough that we as drivers of the car have the ultimate responsibility for the occupants of the car. Most people can do more in that area, except you of course

I am happy to share my stupidity if that is what you call it :)

Safe Driving Everybody

Edited by MikeyIdea

Yes, Warpy started a war and he doesn't like when it turns out that he lost his temper and was rude because he drew conclusions from my posts that I never wrote. I am happy to move attention to a less discussed safety aspect because there are few places on earth where it is more important than in Thailand, doesn't mean that I don't agree that it is better to be strapped in too, of course

You still have nothing to teach me about car safety Warpy, you have proven that you can teach me about imagining content in other people's posts though

Kwasaki, I met Warpy outside Central World at 6:30 PM 2 days ago. He walked on the road towards Pratumnam when he could have walked on the pavement and was hitting cars who was in his way. I didn't know who he was and thought he was a tourist and in a friendly way advised him that it's dangerous to walk on the road in Thailand. His answer was Fu_ck Off. I looked at his clothes and especially shoes and then I realised that he was not a tourist at all, he was an office worker on the way home from work, just a farang making me ashamed of being a farang in Thailand. The story is absolutely true, except that I don't know if it was Warpy of course. Let's go and have a beer Kwasaki, I'm a Honda fan so we'll have many things we in a friendly way can discuss

I am also being more respectful today, I use capital W on Warpy