Old Codgers In Thailand

Neeranam

My Grandmother who has recently turned 92 wants to come to Thailand on holiday. She has been here before, but not for 10 years. She desparately wants to see our house and the way we live.

She has been a real world traveller who hasn't travelled abroad for about 2 years due to ill-health, or rather just old age. She is a tough old bird, who learned to fly a plane when she was 85 and had a trip in a hot air balloon for her 90th birthday.

I am worried that at this age it may be dangerous to fly, let alone to a tropical country. Obviously the hot season would be a bad idea. Maybe this should be posted on the health section. Is there anything else I should be thinking about regarding old people in Thailand - do the airlines look after them, if they get confused etc?.

Have you ever had old relatives over here?

Do any of you old retired folks have any problems?

Cheers

NN

Edited by Neeranam

My Grandmother who has recently turned 92 wants to come to Thailand on holiday. She has been here before, but not for 10 years. She desparately wants to see our house and the way we live.

She has been a real world traveller who hasn't travelled abroad for about 2 years due to ill-health, or rather just old age. She is a tough old bird, who learned to fly a plane when she was 85 and had a trip in a hot air balloon for her 90th birthday.

I am worried that at this age it may be dangerous to fly, let alone to a tropical country. Obviously the hot season would be a bad idea. Maybe this should be posted on the health section. Is there anything else I should be thinking about regarding old people in Thailand - do the airlines look after them, if they get confused etc?.

Cheers

NN

She sounds one amazing lady, if she wants to come to thailand, well done to her, if she does, hope she enjoys herself, well done and good wishes to her.

My father go's to my place, he is late 70s, bit of a differance to your grandmother, but when he is there the thais look after him, i am sure your grandmother will be well looked after in Thailand and on the Aeroplane out, all the best.

Cheers

NN

Sounds like your grandmother is quite the lady. My dad is only 72, rarely leaves the house anymore, and has no interest in learning anything new.

My suggestion is, if you are worried about her, fly with her. It would be more expensive obviously, but then if something unfortunate should happen, she would have a family member who knows her, there with her.

Make sure you have international medical coverage for her beforehand of course. Should something happen inflight, the aircraft would normally land at the nearest airport, which could be Germany, Greece, India or where ever. Having the insurance will help ensure she gets better treatment, and you won't have to mortgage your first-born to pay for that treatment.

Contact the airline you expect to use. Explain that your sweet, silver-haired gramma will be on the plane and it would be nice if someone could keep an eye on her (it is a long flight as you know). Who knows ? They might even give her a free upgrade !

As for the climate, well, lots of water and add a little salt to the diet (it helps the body retain water). Another thing you may want to consider are those chemical cold packs, the ones you give a squeeze and they they get really cold, fast (a lot of first aid kits have them, and camping supply stores).

Put a couple in her carry-on bag. Shouldn't be required while on the plane, or in most airports, but as you know, when you first set foot outside Don Muang, it hits you like a slap in the face.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Good luck !

She sounds great and if she wants to go...then go.

Just needs a little bit of thought on route,travel modes etc... :D

Suggest however you keep her away from the Bungy jumps :o ...on the other hand.....

Just needs a little bit of thought on route,travel modes etc... :D

Suggest however you keep her away from the Bungy jumps :o ...on the other hand.....

Well, I'm pretty sure Neeranam lives out in the sticks, so I don't think he'll have to worry too much about keeping her out of those "lewd" establishments filled with poor, innocent farm girls ! :D

(just don't let her get ahold of your car keys though !)

QUOTE(Rinrada @ 2005-08-03 21:04:18)

Just needs a little bit of thought on route,travel modes etc... 

Suggest however you keep her away from the Bungy jumps  ...on the other hand.....

Well, I'm pretty sure Neeranam lives out in the sticks, so I don't think he'll have to worry too much about keeping her out of those "lewd" establishments filled with poor, innocent farm girls ! 

Knowing her, she'll probably want to see some of the sights Bangers is famous for!

Yes, I do stay upcountry. I have no worries about her being looked after up here but it's the travel getting here. Off course, I'd go to Bangkok to meet her.

Yeah good international insurance would be a must. She did make it to Oz a couple of years back. I think I'll leave it up to my Mother, who will probably try to dissuade her from coming.

QUOTE(Rinrada @ 2005-08-03 21:04:18)

Just needs a little bit of thought on route,travel modes etc... 

Suggest however you keep her away from the Bungy jumps  ...on the other hand.....

Well, I'm pretty sure Neeranam lives out in the sticks, so I don't think he'll have to worry too much about keeping her out of those "lewd" establishments filled with poor, innocent farm girls ! 

Knowing her, she'll probably want to see some of the sights Bangers is famous for!

Yes, I do stay upcountry. I have no worries about her being looked after up here but it's the travel getting here. Off course, I'd go to Bangkok to meet her.

Yeah good international insurance would be a must. She did make it to Oz a couple of years back. I think I'll leave it up to my Mother, who will probably try to dissuade her from coming.

Well then don't leave it up to your mum if she is going to dissuade her from coming. Your Gran sounds like she's had a fab life and at her age... if she really wants to come to see where you live then help her do it. She won't be here much longer and am sure it'll make her very happy to see you in LOS :o

Sounds like a family friend of ours who by coincidence is also 92. Just came back from a trip to the Mediterranean a few months back. Still drives, walks her dog and is more mentally with it than most people half her age.

I would advise though that if possible someone travels with her, it would certainly be less stressful for her. Even our friend admits that at 92 its OK to travel but its much easier if someone goes along to deal with tickets, taxis etc.

Make sure she has insurance , has details of any medical complaints and medicines she might need.

I am bringing my mum out next February for her 85th birthday.

She is not in the best of health but she is determined to come and see how we live and spend time with her new grandson. :D .

I was of a mind to try and dissuade her but my wife (Thai) went ballistic when I suggested that! :o !

My main worry is the flight so I will fly with her both ways, just in case.

Once here I am sure she will have a great time and be well looked after.

Neeranam, I hope your grandma makes the trip and has a fun time! :D !

You might have to shop around a bit for insurance because many have age limits. As an example on this google search.

An idea if it is a long flight for her to wear compression stockings to prevent blood clotting - especially if on a long-haul flights and being 92.

Depending where she is from, you might want a nice cool place for her to hang out!

Cheers BaanOz.