UPDATED Current Flooded Areas & Forecasts

Chaweng south no electricity since yesterday midnight.

Chaweng main road, mountain side - electricity normal, had a couple of 30-minute breaks since noon though. Based on where my cats are sleeping right now, the situation with weather is not getting any better today.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are a couple of pics taken this afternoon around 3pm

First is near the 7/11 on the ghost road (99 end) and the second is closest you can get to bar Ice from the Chaweng beach side of the lake road.

And still raining!!!!!

Shortly past Ice Bar water was above my waist around 4pm.

How about Lamai? Nobody has mentioned Lamai, any news?

Rain just about all day in Lamai, at least behind the Temple, very heavy at times. Much flooding in this area as well. Most roads passable with caution. Tesco Lamai open again today. Power been good all day. Even have Samui Cable back.

just drove the stretch from ban tai through nathon and its quite passable in a truck but if you try it at night on a bike you are trying your luck. dirt and rock debris in the road in addition to the new river crossings.

tesco nathon is now open btw however it was quite obviously flooded throughout so i'd be quite cautious preparing vegetables etc. that weren't pre packaged and sealed.

Has anyone got any idea if the electric is back on in Bangrak, and how long it has been off for since the rains started ? Coming back from Bangkok tomorrow (hopefully) so want to get my landlady into the house to clear the molten fridge contents out if its ruined !!

Cheers

gotta say that I've been living here for 12 years and this is the worst since 1999 when whole areas of road surface were washed away - some of them because the torrents of water coming down the mountain eroded the entire subsurface under the concrete.

So much for those fancy grilles along the road in Bo Phut near the Go Cart Track - but then they actually drain away to nowhere ... just form some kind of temporary sub-surface reservoir. Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday)water there was around 1 metre but add to that the waves caused by the Big Boys in their macho trucks going at 20 kph (twa*s) then there were cars abandoned with water up to their windscreens.

Even today (Wed) after it had stopped raining for 3 or 4 hours these 'truck waves' were high enough to cover the hood of my Suzuki jeep.

And what the heck is happening with the electricity? Mae Nam ihas been on and off all day on the main road - 1 hour on and 1 hour off. My house is about 400m away on soi 1 and the power has been off total and solid for 24 hours now. Still - candle-light supper made a nice change ... I got about 90 mins left on my laptop and I'm going to save it ... over and out ...

R

gotta say that I've been living here for 12 years and this is the worst since 1999 when whole areas of road surface were washed away - some of them because the torrents of water coming down the mountain eroded the entire subsurface under the concrete.

So much for those fancy grilles along the road in Bo Phut near the Go Cart Track - but then they actually drain away to nowhere ... just form some kind of temporary sub-surface reservoir. Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday)water there was around 1 metre but add to that the waves caused by the Big Boys in their macho trucks going at 20 kph (twa*s) then there were cars abandoned with water up to their windscreens.

Even today (Wed) after it had stopped raining for 3 or 4 hours these 'truck waves' were high enough to cover the hood of my Suzuki jeep.

And what the heck is happening with the electricity? Mae Nam ihas been on and off all day on the main road - 1 hour on and 1 hour off. My house is about 400m away on soi 1 and the power has been off total and solid for 24 hours now. Still - candle-light supper made a nice change ... I got about 90 mins left on my laptop and I'm going to save it ... over and out ...

R

plus a pic when most of the water had drained away!!

post-4665-0-89709500-1288791587_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

R

plus a pic when most of the water had drained away!!

Does anyone have any pictures of chaweng main high street- plenty of quality pics from Samui Town Center. Saw today the very end of the beach road (chaweng Noi end) and it didnt look pretty.

A question for you guys, especially those of you who have been living in Samui for a while and are familiar with the conditions.

A friend of mine is currently on a cruise ship which is due to stop for the day at Samui on Friday. Assuming the weather from tomorrow is fine, what are the chances that things are back to normal by Friday.

I have already booked a ticket from Phuket to Samui on Friday morning to spend the day with them. Is there any chance that is doable, or is it a complete non- starter?

Conditions in Wat Lamai area deteriorating. Apart from the on & off heavy rain, the water is gaining in volume coming off of the hills either side. Power off since about 01.00 this morning.

Not been to Lamai 'high' Street for several days now, anyone know if some of the restaurants are open?:(

I still have a river flowing past my place, this morning... South of Maenam.... Heavy rain just stopped so just went out to make a quick inspection & there is a lot of erosion in the area, lucky for me my house OK.

If anyone needs SAND BAGS , they are available near Maenam Cheers Restaurant, which is located near the bridge coming in to Maenam (from Bophut way) Where the large white (blank sign is) at the bridge..... turn in to the welding place (Iron works) & bare to the right, and keep driving along the river side until you reach the beach... may be 1/2 Km off the ring road.

There were a few volunteers helping, but basically it's fill & load your own bags! They provide the bags & string to tie... you fill & load your pickup... you may get some help tying the bags! ( I would suggest taking at least three helpers to fill & load.... It's not light work!)

Lights went out here at about 9.30 pm last night & on again this morning.... crews must be exhausted dealing with all the falling trees on power lines.... and getting power back up.

Tesco Chawang was open last evening, but shelves getting low on some items.... I guess with few or no ferries, things may be limited for a while... The drive through Bophut was slow, as I would guess half the ring road from Maenam is flooded with about 12" or so of water...

Looks like more rain coming! :unsure:

post-85461-0-50410400-1288830674_thumb.j

Anybody know what Banbgrak and the ghost rd is like. Have a friend staying down that way ? Cheers

I haven't been out yet this morning, but I have been up and down Bang Rak and the Ghost road at least 4 times a day, every day this week.

Bang Rak has a flood every time that there is a deluge, but it clears up quite quickly. OK most of the time

The ghost road has been passable too. The only problems that I have found are

1) mud and sand on the road - but that was been cleared up yesterday

2) The small village at the crossroads with the new tarmac road (starts at Bandon Hospital) by the 7/11 - a fairly big flood there - but bikes were still getting through.

I did notice that some small areas of the ghost road were starting to sub-side on the edge of the road so careful and try to stay towards the centre of the road if you are in a heavy truck (or a motorbike).