UPDATED Current Flooded Areas & Forecasts

Ok - I have just completed a 'bread run' from Plai Laem to Tesco via Bang Rak and the ghost road - on the motorbike.

No problems. The only bit of standing water is by the junction at Blue Diamond Lodge at the start of the ghost road. Not too deep though (a few inches).

Bang Rak was dry and sunny when I went through (but clouding over now).

The road by Big C is OK as well - lots of bikes going through.

The only road still closed in the area (that I can see) is the one from Big Buddah to Choengmon. However, turn left at the 7/11 and then right at Destinations Resort then a right and a left and you are on the other side of the closed section.and you can get through.

Hope that this helps folks. Happy driving

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good morning, and good tidings, apparently we have just miss the storm that was predicted to hit Samui on the 4th, 5th or the 6th, a velocity far more stronger than the one that visited the island a few days ago at least 30%.

Some sunshine have and can be seen coming from the east this morning, in spite the Samui in some area is still blanket by dark swollen rain clouds, and still wanting to shed more water upon the land.

Finally the lost water from this torrent rain have obediently found their direction to the intended paths of canals and drains,

At the least the electricity power have return for a good many hours, enough to have appliances batteries to suck upon, the food in the fridges to sustain life than to thrown into waste bins, the petrol stations pumps have finally got the drive to give automobiles and generators the juice to be of use. Even the Atm machines have woken up from their slumbers to dispense the much needed funds to purchase merchandise.

In this episode of the Stormy Samui, a valuable lesson is put in place for the many young and not so old alike, how to cook rice on an open stove or fire, for it been too long we been conditioned by the rice cooker.

We might have seen the worst of the Stormy Samui, nevertheless we must not forget the many still hammered on by the blows and punches in the South of Thailand.

http://www.telegraph...ia.html?image=1

Have a good day..............................

cheers

DaiOn

Does anyone know how much rainfall yesterday please? Is there a website that quotes the amount of rainfall on Koh Samui?

Just one one german website that has history about precipitation: http://www.wetteronl...and/KoSamui.htm

For yesterday no details but Tuesday Samui had 260mm and is the highest mark since 1996.

Nice one - well done :thumbsup:

A question for you guys, especially those of you who have been living in Samui for a while and are familiar with the conditions.

A friend of mine is currently on a cruise ship which is due to stop for the day at Samui on Friday. Assuming the weather from tomorrow is fine, what are the chances that things are back to normal by Friday.

I have already booked a ticket from Phuket to Samui on Friday morning to spend the day with them. Is there any chance that is doable, or is it a complete non- starter?

Sorry mate, but I doubt the situation will turn back to "normal" on Friday. It'll take some time to repair all the damage. Roads many places has erroded away and some parts of Samui still have no electricity.

The waves are still very high and strong and the beach looks like a mess with trash and debris all over. Temperatures are also chilly with around 25-27 celsius.

Yes but if he is only coming for one day to see friends and isn't here for a holiday, then do you think thats going to be difficult?

If he is on a cruise ship, they usually anchor off Nathon and use tenders to bring passengers ashore. So I suspect it will depend on the sea state and whether it is safe to bring passengers ashore.

Does anyone know how much rainfall yesterday please? Is there a website that quotes the amount of rainfall on Koh Samui?

Just one one german website that has history about precipitation: http://www.wetteronl...and/KoSamui.htm

For yesterday no details but Tuesday Samui had 260mm and is the highest mark since 1996.

Nice one - well done :thumbsup:

Thanks, I just found the UK sisterside with the same database. I guess it makes it easier to have the stuff in Angkrit. Here's the link...

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?LANG=en&PLZ=_____&PLZN=_____&WMO=48550&ART=PRE&CONT=asie&R=0&LEVEL=150&REGION=0023&LAND=TH&MM=11&YY=2010&WEEK=2&NOREGION=1&MOD=&TMX=&TMN=&SON=&PRE=&MONAT=&OFFS=&SORT=

Bloo*dy Mae Nam still no power in my house for 48 hours now. Have taken refuge in an accommodating hosltelry :D :D

Been checking out the mayhem down in Hat Yai - and suddenly I feel all smug and thankful. There are some dramatic pics here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/8105456/Floods-in-Thailand-and-Malaysia.html

But there was an aerial view of Samui around the airport - although I cant quite identify it

see below

A tropical depression that dumped constant rain on the area on Sunday and Monday triggered the flooding, which forced the closure of the airport on Samui island, a popular tourist getaway in the Gulf of Thailand. The small airport reopened Wednesday, with both Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways resuming flights. Thailand's meteorological department said the storm was moving west, away from Thailand, but warned of 13-foot (four-metre) waves in some coastal areas and the possibility of landslides and flash floods for residents in low-lying areas

Picture: REUTERS

post-4665-0-25800300-1288868224_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

Just got power back,been off since Monday morning 4.40 am.Road ? :lol:

all starting to clear now. dala daow is clearing. bophut police station is knee deep instaead of neck deep. fishermans village is bad in parts.

herrd this is another storm on the way in a few days though i wouldn't minde if someone could confirm this.

rip boats having been taxiong people around along with kayaks and even jet skis

Just got power back,been off since Monday morning 4.40 am.Road ? :lol:

all starting to clear now. dala daow is clearing. bophut police station is knee deep instaead of neck deep. fishermans village is bad in parts.

herrd this is another storm on the way in a few days though i wouldn't minde if someone could confirm this.

rip boats having been taxiong people around along with kayaks and even jet skis

Yes Big C, the area behind Bophut markets, impassable. Boats & inflatables ferrying people & supplies from back carpark.

Ring road from Bophut to Nathon all but no water.Driving towards Bophut village still some water.

Welcome back.

Sorry Rooo, where do you mean by the Bophut markets? Are these the ones near the old Monkey Theater Road?

WindGuru forecasts no big winds, but heavy rain on Sat morning and next Wed morning.

10.30 pm and Bangkok Air are still flying!

Think he means behinde the bohout market at the bophut 3 section traffic lights at fishermans village. big floods behinde there. u cannot see for the main road

At the traffic lights at fisherman village heading towards Big C on the right hand side before Monkey theatre road theres a family mart. Down that Soi it's a Nightmare.

Welcome back.

Sorry Rooo, where do you mean by the Bophut markets? Are these the ones near the old Monkey Theater Road?

WindGuru forecasts no big winds, but heavy rain on Sat morning and next Wed morning.

10.30 pm and Bangkok Air are still flying!

Thank you for clarifying that . Yes, it has always been pretty bad in that area. Don't they usually bring out a couple of big pumps to pump it into the drains? Or are the drains full too?

Well they dug the road up to install large drainage pipes. I suppose the rain beat them. The 2 pumps are going, but it's a lake in the back, not that easy to pump out.

Choengmon was clear this morning.

Driving down the Chaweng Beach Road this morning (09.15)it was clear as far as the Laem Din turn which was blocked off and you could see that the floods were still deep down there.

Still flooding past Centara but passable (even for idiot farang in his big pick-up passing everyone and creating waves into the already devastated shops).

Thank you for clarifying that . Yes, it has always been pretty bad in that area. Don't they usually bring out a couple of big pumps to pump it into the drains? Or are the drains full too?

Well they dug the road up to install large drainage pipes. I suppose the rain beat them. The 2 pumps are going, but it's a lake in the back, not that easy to pump out.

the water goes out with the tides. so when the tides are high there is no where for the draine water to go

Choengmon was clear this morning.

Driving down the Chaweng Beach Road this morning (09.15)it was clear as far as the Laem Din turn which was blocked off and you could see that the floods were still deep down there.

Still flooding past Centara but passable (even for idiot farang in his big pick-up passing everyone and creating waves into the already devastated shops).

the water seems to move from one place to the next

Not necessarily flooding areas but other updates:

Songserm and Lompprayah are not running to Surat Thani from Nathon so while there is an 11 am Songserm boat to Koh Phangan there is not an 11 am Lomprayah to Koh Phangan (maybe just today, I don't know).

And a note, govt computer system is down, the link at Kanchanadit is down so if you need anything it aint gonna happen today. Nok was doing visa extensions etc at Immigration but presumably they won't be entered into the system till later and if you need paperwork from the amphur then it will have to wait.

The car ferries appear to be running as scheduled but the streets of Nathon were empty and it was me and three other farang in Immigration this morning.