Nigel Is No More

glanville63

A friend of mine named Nigel died yesterday evening and I think it was due to lack of communication. He had been complaining most of the day apparently of not feeling very well and in the early evening things took a turn for the worst. He and his Thai wife got home to their house on The Dark Side and Nigel collapsed. Nigel was heavilly insured for health cover but I don't think his wife of eight years realised what this meant. She faffed about trying to get an ambulance, which eventually arrived and it proceeded to take him, as directed, to Banglamung Hospital. I can imagine the scene at the "emergency room" and unfortunately at 8.30pm poor Nigel was pronounced dead. Had his wife been fully aware as to where his health cover afforded him to be taken, ie Bangkok Pattaya, Pattaya International or Pattaya Memorial Hospitals, I think Nigel would still be with us. Unfortunately our Thai partners in the main haven't a great command of English and understand very little about us and what arrangements we have made. This is a clasic example of the need for us to tell them, that in an emergency, they need to phone one of our countrymen/friend who lives in town and who has been primed with what action to take should an emergency such as this arrise. You can have all the insurance cover under the sun but if your partner is unable to chanel this cover into the appropriate places it will be useless.

Dear Nigel ...........RIP

RIP my thoughts are with the wife and family.

I don't think that wife's knowing what to do in the case of a medical emergency, is the only thing that should be explained to them. I think it should also be explained and written down what to do should we die, ie insurance, pensions etc.

RIP Nigel and some sound advice from the OP.

I have left a letter in Thai and English for my wife with clear instructions who she needs to contact when I die.

As for health insurance I always carry the card and she is well aware of my hospital of choice.

The OP has not provided any background as to the nature of the illness. Maybe he doesn't know.

While I would agree that the chances of surviving something life threatening, such as a heart attack, would be better at Bangkok Pattaya than Banglumung, it is by no means a forgone conclusion that sending Nigel to Bangkok/Pattaya would have been less likely to have resulted in his death. He may have had all manner of fatal afflictions- such as an aneurysm which could not have been treated, whatever hospital he had been taken to.

Here in Pattaya it is unlikely that anyone will really know Nigel's cause of death and my advice to his friends and relatives is to not dwell too much on what 'might have been' as it may not have made one iota of difference where he was taken. The poor guy has passed, his time was up and may he rest in peace.

The advice about leaving a card with instructions in Thai and English is excellent for those married to Thai women with a limited grasp of English.

I am making a folder on my pc with instructions on what to do, who to contact, where things are etc for my wife and 2 separate farang friends to deal with.

My wife can deal with the Thai parts but I don't think her English would be good enough to deal with the pension people etc.

Thanks for the poster who suggested writing in Thai as well.

Something I did not think of.

As for any flamers who may comment on my death (or not) they will be more than welcome to join hands with me at the temple when I get cremated.

Edited by billd766

RIP Nigel and some sound advice from the OP.

I have left a letter in Thai and English for my wife with clear instructions who she needs to contact when I die.

As for health insurance I always carry the card and she is well aware of my hospital of choice.

My friend had all sorts of insurance yet when he collapsed in his favourite bar (NOT by drink) all the bar owner did was to drag him into the street then call the cops and watch my friend die from lack of attention. Didn't want any bother at her bar. Just another ATM, be another along shortly. Welcome to LOS.

I am sure you didn't mean it this way, but when I read your post I thought "he is blaming the death, at least in part, on the wife!!!!". I hope she doesn't read this post as it will haunt her for the rest of her life. His death in not because of the wife's lack of English or ability to communicate.

Unless we have some details of his illness we could never blame the wife. Who's to say he wasn't about to die anyway no matter which hospital he went to or how quickly he got there. In the end, death cannot be avoided by anyone.

For example, my dad died of a heart attack so severe it wouldn't have mattered if he was in the hospital when it happened. If you think about it, a lot of people die in the hospital.

Edited by tropo