800K For 1 Year Ext In Current Account

will apply for my first 1 year extension based on retirement soon

have 800k in a HSBC premium current account, so there is no savings booklet

will immigration accept a recent bank statement and the letter confirming the balance was 800k for more than 60 days

thanks for your help

Some points I can add and expect even more definitive info from the official visa gurus here --

- There is no written rule that the money needs to be in a savings account with a bank book. Immigration officers are likely to be used to usually seeing the bank books, so there may be a chance you encounter an office and/or officer who has a problem with bank statements, but my opinion (only) is that statements will be OK

- The requirement for FIRST time retirement extensions is indeeed that the money be seasoned for two months before the immigration meeting. If I were you I would bring in statements showing many months back (if the account was open then) as they tend to like to see some history. Don't worry if the account was only open two months or so though. However, the statements must clearly show the money didn't go under 800K fo the entire two month period.

- Also note that in addition to the statements you do need to get an official BANK LETTER verifying your bank balance (and this will need to be the EXACT number as the last entry on your statment). Some offices actually require this letter to be the same day, but often the previous day or even earlier is accepted.

I only mentioned showing more than two months history because in my experience doing extensions using a bank book, they like to see copies going back about six months of activity (in this case for subsequent extensions where the money needs to be seasoned for three months, not two). The Jomtien office doesn't need to see the entire year's back, I know that because once I gave them that and they spit back some of the pages that were more than they wanted. Of course if your account wasn't open six months, or whatever, they obviously can't need to see what doesn't exist. If I had made a large relevant transfer early in the year's history before the appointment, personally I would STILL give the entire year's history to immigration, just in case it would be helpful for them to see the inward transfer activity.

Edited by Jingthing

I only mentioned showing more than two months history because in my experience doing extensions using a bank book, they like to see copies going back about six months of activity (in this case for subsequent extensions where the money needs to be seasoned for three months, not two). The Jomtien office doesn't need to see the entire year's back, I know that because once I gave them that and they spit back some of the pages that were more than they wanted. Of course if your account wasn't open six months, or whatever, they obviously can't need to see what doesn't exist. If I had made a large relevant transfer early in the year's history before the appointment, personally I would STILL give the entire year's history to immigration, just in case it would be helpful for them to see the inward transfer activity.

It's better to give them exactly what the rules say are required and keep anything else in your briefcase just in case you meet an awkward one.

It's better to give them exactly what the rules say are required and keep anything else in your briefcase just in case you meet an awkward one.

There aren't any official written rules about exactly how many months immigration might want to see of bank records. You could imply those rules based on the seasoning periods and presume that is the base requirement of records sought, but that is not the same thing as an official written rule. I believe different officers/offices have their own expectations about this and it isn't always easy to read their minds (also policies can change quickly).

Edited by Jingthing