Air Asia (Again)

ThaiPauly

Last week my wife was due to travel home to CM from BK using AA.

She had had a minor operation in BK.

She checked her bag , but then felt unwell, she told the AA staff that she was feeling unwell and asked if it was possible for them to supply a wheel chair to get her to the gate. two of their representatives came to see her and said that in their opinion she was not fit not fly and removed her bag from the plane and left without her.

She was in the airport very upset , but managed to get herself to the Thai Airways counter and explained her situation.

Several of the Thai Airways staff attended to her , asked her questions about how se was feeling and said she could make the last flight which was leaving in 30 minutes.

The price should have been 6,000 baht for the only seat they had left in Business Class , but they only charged her 2,500B which was all she had on her in cash.

The Thai airways representatives approached the manager at the AA counter in search of a refund but they refused to give one. The following day she contacted AA again only to be told that they are not obliged to give refunds to people who they consider unfit to fly.

As it happens my wife was OK , and would have been OK on the Air Asia flight as well. although in some discomfort on the Thai flight, but at least they ensured she got home, wheras AA could not give a hoot.

we use AA 5 or 6 times a year, or I should say "used", in future we will use the humane but expensive services of Thai.

I am posting this just so that people can be aware that if you are feeling under the weather don't be surprised if Air Asia won't let you fly :realangry:

I don't know what you are implying Myfreind, but she was still in the check in area at the time she felt unwell

When you can't 'make it to the plane by yourself beacause you don't feel well they shouldn't let you travel. While in the air there are no docters and when something happens they are the one with problems.

Edited by FritsSikkink

I think it is covered here:-

Check-in and Other Requirements of Carriage 6.1.1

Check-In, Deadlines and Conditions: Our check-in counters are open two (2) hours before the scheduled flight departure time. The counters close forty-five (45) minutes before the scheduled flight departure time*. Check-in deadlines may vary at different airports and for particular flights. It is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with these deadlines particulars of which will be available at the time you make your booking. In any event, without derogating from the generality of other provisions of these Terms & Conditions governing the right of refusal of carriage, we reserve the right not to allow you to check in without any liability to you and without having to refund to you any fare paid:

• if you attempt to check in inside forty-five (45) minutes* before your scheduled flight departure time;
  • if you fail to have proper identification or fail to identify yourself to our staff;
  • if you fail to have the proper documents, permits, visa, necessary for travel to a particular place or country;
  • if you have not fully paid any fare or other fees or charges due to us;
  • if you have been violent to our staff or caused disturbance at our counter or have abused our staff whether physically or verbally;
  • if the Government or other authorities prohibits your checking in or boarding the aircraft;
  • if in our judgment, you are not fit to travel due to drunkenness or any obvious adverse medical condition; and/or
  • if in our judgment, you are not medically fit to travel or your medical condition poses or could pose a danger or threat to the health of other passengers.

"The price should have been 6,000 baht for the only seat they had left in Business Class , but they only charged her 2,500B which was all she had on her in cash."

As you say - hats off to Thai Airways. I do not usually have good things to say about Thai but I am impressed by their gesture. :thumbsup:

Hope that the little lady is OK now.

I think it is covered here:-

Check-in and Other Requirements of Carriage 6.1.1

• if in our judgment, you are not medically fit to travel or your medical condition poses or could pose a danger or threat to the health of other passengers.

Whilst I appreciate they need to ensure that people are fit to fly, I doubt if the person responsible for offloading ThaiPauly's wife was medically qualified to make such a decision, I suspect it fell into the too difficulty or couldn't be bothered category.

Certainly hats of to Thai for showing some compassion to your wife and ensuring she made it home, I sincerely hope she is ok now.

Point-to-point airlines are great when everything goes to plan, but when they are faced with said 'non-standard' situations they are usually hopeless, and just fall back on their (very strict) T & C's. I'm sure anyone who flies the full-service airlines regularly has had a bad experience-or-two (me included), but the staff seem to be trained to be more user-friendly where it matters. I've always found Thai to be so-so, but the effort by them recounted by the OP can't be commended highly enough.

I say the old sayng applies here. You get what you pay for.

If you are price concious, then go Air Asia or any of the other budget carriers, but be ready to get stuffed around. There are a few comments here which are spot on. If the problem in their opinion can fall into a category, thenin it goes. They cannot think, no do get paid to think, and there for, will not care what the consequences are if they make a poor decision. There are no grey areas.

I have flown Thai Airways from Australia many times, and NEVER had a cause to complain. The staff are fantastic.

I try and always fly Bangkok Airways for the same reason. At the end of the day, the difference is negligable, so why put yourself through the stress of flying with the budget carriers. All they need to do is cancel a flight and you loose your money. Pay and enjoy the trip.

When you book Air Asia you have to answer a question about, if you are disabled and need any kind of assistance. Air Asia has only limited resources to handle this kind of passengers, and that is why they need to know in advance.

Don´t fly budget, if you don´t agree with the conditions! I hope that you enjoyed spending the money saved though.

"The price should have been 6,000 baht for the only seat they had left in Business Class , but they only charged her 2,500B which was all she had on her in cash."

As you say - hats off to Thai Airways. I do not usually have good things to say about Thai but I am impressed by their gesture. :thumbsup:

Hope that the little lady is OK now.

Yes; a great gesture by Thai Airways and I'm glad that the lady arrived alive and well. I don't use Thai often because they are too expensive in most cases and fly out of date aircraft with poor on-board facilities but I have to say that the staff are always very pleasant and helpful.

I used to use Ryanair and Easyjet services a lot in Britain and I have witnessed several incidents similar to that of the AA experience with this lady. It really is a case of 'you get what you pay for' with budget airlines and I think most people are aware of that.

I don't know what you are implying Myfreind, but she was still in the check in area at the time she felt unwell <_<

When I lived in the US I had a girlfriend that was a hostess for Southwest Airlines.

Now I am not saying for a second, this is the case here.

She saw it a couple of times each trip, where someone needed a wheelchair to board (first to board in the Southwest system), then was miraculously able to walk off under their own steam.

Once again, not saying this was the intention here, but those stewardesses became leery of anyone that wanted a wheel chair to board.

I recently boarded Thai Air on crutches, and did not require assistance. They were quite distressed. I was in row 52 or something. Got to the seat, got comfortable and then some guy not dressed as in flight staff approached and told me that I had to move. I told him I was comfortable and preferred not to move. He said that I was required to move. I refused. Then he said that I was interfering with the balance of the aircraft and that was why I had to move. The entire conversation was in Thai, and at that point I began to laugh at the whole thing esp. his final statement or demand, and got up and hopped to business class with my lady. It was a very nice flight as I have never sat in any class other than low class. I have to say that I have always enjoyed Thai service and also AA prices. If the price is comparable which it often is, I will always fly Thai. Though lately AA has been offering some pretty good deals.

Thai Air = good service (although I've read plenty of complaints on TV.

Air Asia = good or great prices

You choose.

Personally, I'd be very happy if any airline I was flying denied boarding to a passenger who said s/he wasn't feeling well while at the check-in desk. If the airline personnel are not medically trained, I would think it is everyone's best interest for the passenger not to board.

I hope the OP's wife is feeling better.

Air Asia do seem to have some difficulty in handling 'non standard' situations.

However, I have not experienced one so I will continue to take advantage of there, usually, excellent value for money service.

If value is defined simply as a dodgy product/ service for a cheap price, then AA may qualify as good value. My definition is good product/service for a good price. I don't think that my standards are unreasonable as, in my opinion, airlines like NokAir and JetStar both have delivered good value to me. But the range of "standard situations" AA can handle seems so narrow, that I seem to have more problems, surprises and delays than normal travel experiences with them. So have many other people I know. Nowadays I avoid them at almost any cost. Whenever I break that rule, I invariably feel sorry.

Thai Air = good service (although I've read plenty of complaints on TV.

Air Asia = good or great prices

You choose.

Personally, I'd be very happy if any airline I was flying denied boarding to a passenger who said s/he wasn't feeling well while at the check-in desk. If the airline personnel are not medically trained, I would think it is everyone's best interest for the passenger not to board.

I hope the OP's wife is feeling better.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding denying boarding to someone who is unwell, if they don't have medically qualified staff, maybe Thai Air does, but at least they were prepared to take her, they could see the distress they were suffering, her condition was not at all life threatening though.

and thanks, she is quite well now. :)

However what really pisses me off is their attitude towards giving a refund. It was THIER decision NOT to let her board so they should be prepared to give a refund

However what really pisses me off is their attitude towards giving a refund. It was THIER decision NOT to let her board so they should be prepared to give a refund

And it's THEIR airline and they have already got your money so apart from yourself and despite the "munificence" of the Thai ground staff, who says AirAsia has any obligation to give back any money to anyone?

btw, the bit about the TG rep asking the AA rep for money back, including their allegedly trying again the next day sounds fishy. Who was around to witness that? Your off-colour wife who had only 30 minutes to get on the Thai flight? Or are TG trying to claw back their losses for being benevolent and coming after you (or your wife) for financial recompense?

Good to hear you are back with TG again.... I wonder how long that honeymoon will last?

Good to be informed on AA and so sorry to hear of your wife's dilemma. Don't worry about the other quote, there are so many F*$%whit's on this site.

Bye

Amazing how people like you would prefer to deliver her dead instead of playing safe. After a surgical operation there is always a risk of clotting or thrombosis, suddenly she felt unwell, if my mrs l would have said go to the medical centre, f-uck the flight.

AA were covering their backs and if she croaked on Thai Air all kinds of shit would have happened cos AA saw the risk. :ermm:

That is the most sensible comment on this thread. If she had had a serious medical problem on board - and she admitted herself she felt unwell after the operation - the decision for her to fly would not have been justified.

Better to have stayed put and caught a later flight. What price someone's health ???