Thailand Live Sunday 7 Nov 2010

webfact

Thailand Live Sunday 7 November 2010

News, Bits and Tweets

with webfact

Keep up to date with live updates from the news, hour by hour.

For breaking news,national, regional and international news updates on

a daily basis only, this thread is closed to commentary so that those

who wish to follow the news can find it here...

Commentary is still open for Thailand news in the relevant thread posted in News Clippings.

FOLLOW US:

You can also follow us on

- Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ThaiVisaNews

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service,

email: sms [at] thaivisa.com

________________________________________________________________________________

Thailand's current weather and forecasts: http://weather.thaivisa.com/

________________________________________________________________________________

Related topic: Thailand Live Saturday 6 Nov 2010

Over 2,700 schools affected by flood; Damages in Hat Yai about Bt10bn

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT: -- More than 2,700 educational institutions throughout Thailand have been affected by floods while damages inflicted by severe flooding in Hat Yai district, near the Thai-Malaysian border, earlier this week are initially estimated at not less than Bt10 billion, officials said Saturday.

Education Minister Chinnaworn Boonyakiat said after distributing relief supplies to students at a school in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat that he had ordered education heads in all affected areas to report on the damages to him after the Cabinet had allocated Bt36 million for repairs.

He said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is scheduled Sunday to visit a village in Khanom district of Nakhon Si Thammarat where a landslide took place earlier and talk to affected villagers in order to find ways to assist them.

In another development, a ship carrying liquefied petroleum gas which was struck by heavy storm and grounded on an offshore reef here on Thursday is now retrieved, officials said, adding that floodwater in the province has now receded considerably.

As many flood victims are being reported in Nakhon Si Thammarat and Surat Thani provinces, the Royal Thai Navy has redeployed the HTMS Chakri Naruebet, Thailand’s first and only aircraft carrier, to finish its assistance to flood victims in Songkhla and make for the two provinces.

It is expected that the ship would arrive at its new destination Sunday.

Meanwhile, Kawitpong Sirithananonsakul, deputy chairman of the Songkhla Chamber of Commerce, said it is estimated that damages from the flood in Hat Yai earlier this week would be around Bt10 billion.

A prime shopping attraction for Malaysians and Singaporeans, Hat Yai is hoping for the government to provide soft loans to business operators whose businesses had been damaged by the flood, Mr Kawitpong said.

He said business operators who were in debt should either have their repayment period extended or interest payments lowered.

Although floodwaters in the district have receded, it would take at least a month before business could return to normal, Mr Kawitpong added. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-11-07

King discusses long-term solutions to flood crises with PM

By The Nation on Sunday

med_gallery_327_1086_3882.jpg

His Majesty the King has expressed concern about the severe flooding in Thailand and urged the authorities to thoroughly study irrigation systems so they don't affect people adversely, the prime minister said yesterday.

After his audience with the King at Siriraj Hospital on Friday, Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday His Majesty worried about people affected by the flooding and suggested ideas as long-term solutions such as more flood-prevention projects along the Chao Phraya River and other waterways in the future.

He said the King suggested thorough studies were needed into possible projects plus impact assessments as different technical aspects remained academically debatable and people could be adversely affected once projects were undertaken.

Abhisit said he also told the King that several areas could be built as "Monkey Cheek" water retention areas to store excess water and initially they would look at state land, where this could be done quickly.

He said officials in several Central provinces had used water pumps to drain water out of flooded areas.

Abhisit, who is scheduled to inspect the flood situation in the South today, said he had checked on reports that no-one was looking after Phatthalung but Culture Minister and MP for the city Nipit Intarasombat told him he had visited and monitor the situation there.

Nipit felt that Satun might be a greater concern. So he urged Nipit and Deputy Interior Minister Thavorn Senneam to monitor developments there.

Nipit said later he had told Abhisit that 18 per cent of the province's rubber plantations, or 100,000 rai, had been damaged by flooding. And he urged a special calculation for compensation to rubber planters.

In regard to Deputy PM Trairong Suwannakhiri's proposal to use the Treasury reserves for flood rehabilitation, the premier said there was no need to borrow money or use the central bank's reserves, as they could still manage with a modified annual budget and "leftover" money from the two previous fiscal years.

The PM affirmed that the government had sufficient funds to assist flood victims, but admitted it could not pay all the flood damages.

Asked if the government needed to adjust its budget spending given estimates that flood damage may now reach Bt100 billion, he said the government would be unable to fully compensate everyone for what they had lost.

PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey, after visiting the flooded Trang and Phattalung, said the government had enough money for flood compensation and rehabilitation. He said the government had set a central budget of Bt20 billion and initial flood compensation of Bt5,000 per household totalled Bt3.5 billion. So they were ready to pay eligible people, pending the gathering of data by provincial officials by November 20.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

Little success solving violence in far South

By The Nation

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday he had met with key officials concerned with justice and security in the deep South to discuss the lack of progress in investigations into many cases.

Justice Minister Pirapan Salirathavibhaga, National Police Chief Pol Gen Wichean Potephosree and Department of Special Investigation chief Tharit Pengdit were summoned to the meeting with the PM on Friday.

Abhisit said the government had made significant progress in developing the South as part of solutions to curb violence there but they had to see progress in the inquiries inquiries into violent crimes. "Locals have complained about the problem so I need to discuss the problem with them since the government is planning to revoke the emergency decree in some areas,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

Dispute over 'negligent' delivery of child

By The Nation

Parents of a seven-day-old infant filed a complaint with police yesterday accusing medics at a hospital in Phuket of negligence and injuring the baby when he was born.

Naphat Nimu, the baby's father, said he was shocked to see his son with bleeding under the skin on his head and his right collarbone was found to be broken only two hours after the delivery on October 30, because a doctor had used a vacuum machine to assist the birth.

He said physicians at the hospital told him they did not have any medical equipment to treat his son, so they transferred him to another hospital in the same province, but the bill for the treatment was over Bt80,000.

There was also the costs of the delivery at the first hospital of about Bt12,000.

Naphat said he had dis?cussed the situation with hos?pital staff and called on it to "show responsibility". They said they would cut the fee for the delivery, but refused to cover the treatment cost at the second hospital where the baby was transferred to.

He wanted police to help him "reconcile" with the hospital and force it to pay for the expense.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

Fireworks spectacle in Chiang Mai

By The Nation

A major fireworks display will be staged at New Year in Chiang Mai to honour His Majesty the King's 84th birthday late next year.

Governor ML Panadda Disakul said yesterday the Defence Ministry had chosen the northern city for the third such event, which will be staged from the night of December 31 till January 1 at Chiang Mai's 700th Anniversary sports com?plex.

He said the fireworks would be fired higher than others staged in the world and the event would be the longest ever put on.

The complex had a capacity for up to 10,000 spectators, and anyone interested could watch the event free of charge.

An international firework competition with contestants from China, Denmark, Australia and US would be part of the spectacle.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

BAD WEATHER

North, Northeast hit by cold

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Chiang Mai, Phayao, Udon affected

Three provinces have been declared disaster zones as temperatures plunged in the North and Northeast, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said yesterday.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva ordered officials to closely monitor the situation in Chiang Mai, Phayao and Udon Thani, which have been hit by cold weather.

A man with a mental illness was also believed to have died from the cold spell in Kalasin province.

Close to 120,000 residents in 35 districts in the three provinces have been affected.

The department has alerted its provincial centres in the disaster zones to have staff on duty around the clock to assist residents immediately.

A local resident, Wichien Phumulnee, 31, was found dead in a paddy field after he drank alcohol with his relatives at a party before going missing a week ago.

Thongbai Isat, 40, the paddy-field owner and a relative of the deceased, said Wichien had been missing for a week. Thongbai spotted Wichien's body in his field when he was looking out from a high tree.

Police said there was no sign of struggle, and his body did not have any wounds. Police believe the alcohol he had drunk and the cold weather caused him to suffer a seizure.

Kalasin Governor Viroj Jivarangsan was also preparing to designate the province as another "disaster" zone due to the cold spell in all its 18 districts.

Dense fog and strong winds added to the problems there. The province's meteorological centre said the temperature would drop to 13-15 degrees Celsius.

He said physicians had checked the health of poor residents affected by the cold weather.

Meanwhile, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department reported a total of 150 flood-related deaths nationwide - 34 in the South and 116 elsewhere - from October 10 to November 6.

In the North and Northeast, the department said 384 districts in 39 provinces had been affected. To date flooding had subsided in 21 provinces so only 18 provinces - 1.45 million people and 6.3 million rai of farmland - remained inundated.

Commenting on floods in the South, national coordination centre chairman Apirak Kosayodhin said yesterday the areas on watch included the three southernmost provinces, plus Chumphon, Surat Thani, Phattalung, Trang and Nakhon Si Thammarat. In the latter, Khanom, Sichon and Ron Pibul districts were also landslide-prone.

He affirmed that officials were speeding the delivery of drinking water and needed items to all flood victims.

In regard to flooding in the Chi and Mul river basin in the Northeast, Apirak said that riverside residents in Si Sa Ket's Rasri Salai district were affected by a 1.5-metre overflow from the Mul River.

Floodwater was expected to hit Ubon Ratchathani town and Warin Chamrap district today or tomorrow, so local officials planned to evacuate residents thought to be at risk.

Residents living in the Chi River Basin in Roi Et, Kalasin and Yasothon had also been warned to brace for floods.

Apirak confirmed that the centre was speeding up the checking of 630,000 flood-affected households in 38 provinces that were initially said to be entitled to the Bt5,000-per-household assistance money.

The centre would have a meeting on Monday about the matter, he said. It had urged all affected provinces to submit lists with the names of victims by November 15 so the checking could proceed - to enable the Government's Saving Bank to arrange the payment this month.

Rajaprajanugroh Foundation president Dissathorn Vajarodaya gave out relief kits to flood victims yesterday in Chumphon's Lang Suan district on behalf of HM the King.

HRH Princess Sirindhorn had asked that 2,000 sets of consumer goods and basic medicines be delivered to the Sirindhorn special task unit for distribution to flood victims in the South.

The Energy Ministry had received Bt12.3 million in donations and 21,000 relief bags from 11 companies with petroleum concessions in the Gulf of Thailand to assist flood victims in Nakhon Si Thammarat, Songkhla, Chumphon and Surat Thani, permanent secretary for energy Norkhun Sitthipong said yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

HEADLINE MAKER

Aiming for the ultimate goals

By Nitcha Jaowattana

The Nation on Sunday

med_gallery_327_1086_21253.jpg

Karuna Chidchob, wife of Bhum Jai Thai Party de facto leader Newin, talks about her work in developing Buri Ram's two football teams

If there were any venue in the Thailand Premier League where the atmosphere bears a resemblance to European football, then it would certainly be Buri Ram PEA's home ground, the I-Mobile stadium, where fans fervently support their team throughout every home game.

On match day, a sea of blue, the club's colour, washes over the stands as far as the eye can see. The noise can be heard from several kilometres away. In front of the home fans stands a seemingly tireless middle-aged woman leading the cheers for the North Eastern side, who finished runners-up in the recent season.

She's a familiar face to Buri Ram fans, who greatly appreciate enthusiastic dancing, but those who don't follow the game may be surprised to learn that she's the wife of the club's president, Newin Chidchob. Karuna could, of course, watch the matches from the comfort of a VIP box but says she's merely doing what she loves.

In fact, what few people realise is that Karuna has a dual cheering role, as she's also a cheerleader for Buri Ram FC, a team which plays in the country's regional league and which she manages.

"Khun Newin and I are alike in one way. We put our hearts into what we believe in. In terms of business, making a profit from a football club is not an easy job. Most people would think it is better to do something else.

"However, we're different. We see it purely in sporting terms. Without a strong will, it's impossible to do because it's hard to control players who come from different backgrounds and have big egos," said Karuna, who is nicknamed Tai.

There's no doubt that fans play an important role in Buri Ram's league campaign. The team's home record proves it: this season, they've won 11 out of 15 matches at the stadium dubbed the "Thunder Castle", propelling them to second spot just four points adrift of champions Muang Thong United.

With Buri Ram gaining credence in the TPL thanks to a level of support more commonly seen in the European leagues, Karuna is understandably happy with the work she's been putting into encouraging fans.

"I just want to lead by example. When you come to support the team, you need to give it your all. That way, you really enjoy it," she says.

"In the early days, most supporters were villagers who turned up for matches in old T-shirts and shorts, rather as they would for a sports day at primary school. I said to myself "It can't be that way for my team.

"So, I came up with a plan to change it. I told my husband that I would oversee the repairs to the bathroom at home and invited some hardcore fans over to discuss what we could do. We watched a video of Chon Buri FC fans, which we hoped would give us some idea on how to organise the cheering.

"It began with a change to the way fans dressed. No more slippers and shorts. Then, we practised cheering for three days, starting with clapping to a rhythm to make it more powerful.

"I don't know what people think about us. I just want them to know that Khun Newin is the kind of person who gives it his all. Whether as a politician or the head of the family, he does it with his heart.

"I can say that if Khun Newin becomes prime minister, I would divorce him. I think our family has had enough of politics. We're very happy to work with fans. Nowhere is better than the place where you live with people who give their hearts to you."

That's not to say Buri Ram supporters are popular with everyone. Some consider the fans a "set up", an accusation that Karuna strongly denies.

"Some people have tried to paint us as mercenaries. That's not true: It's simply a reciprocal business. We have to accept the fact that there is nothing free in this world. When we receive support from sponsors, we need to do something in return. It's nothing more than that.

"I just want to ask our critics whether they'd like to see the same at their team games or not. If they say 'yes', then we have our answer. But even if they say 'no', they don't have the right to criticise other people.

"I want to make it clear that our fans don't get payment. They come of their own will to support the team. Most are vendors or farmers so they have their own income. They just sacrifice their time to cheer the team.

"I've asked Khun Newin as to whether we can allocate an budget to support the fans in terms of transportation and ticket fees. But we only give these expenses on the condition that they really come to support the team."

Asked about the shirt emblazoned with a slogan "Whatever I did was wrong" on the back, Karuna says she just wanted to make a mockery of her experience.

"I'm not a cyber world fan. I don't often surf the Internet to find what people are saying on web boards. I was taken aback by the amount of criticism we received. Our critics wanted to know why we had to do everything in unison.

"I felt very low psychologically at the attacks. I told Khun Newin last month that I wanted to quit not football but my role on the stands. But how I can give up when I'm always telling the fans that they need to show a fighting spirit in supporting the team."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

Paiboon asked to respond

By The Nation on Sunday

Constitution Court judge Charan Pakdeethanakul called on Paiboon Warahapaitoon, former secretary-general at the court, to respond to claims of cheating in the recruitment of court officials as Paiboon chaired the panel in charge of recruiting officials.

The Constitution Court had resolved that Paiboon should talk to the public about the controversy after a series of video clips posted on YouTube showed judges allegedly discussing claims of cheating in the recruitment of officials.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

Ministers must stand down, EC man says

By The Nation on Sunday

Calls are getting louder for two ministers among six MPs disqualified from House seats for holding shares in companies linked to state concessions to step down from their political posts.

Election Commission Commissioner Somchai Jungprasert said Deputy Interior Minister Boonjong Wongtrairat from Bhum Jai Thai Party and Deputy Transport Minister Kuakul Danchaiwijit from Chart Thai Pattana Party are being pressured to show their political "spirit" by stepping down from their posts following the Constitution Court's ruling that they violated Article 265 of the charter. Somchai said the court ruling automatically put an end to the political office-holders' jobs and if they did not quit their jobs now they would be forced to step down.

"I believe the two ministers should show spirit because the law clearly states they should stop holding political posts because of a conflict of interest,'' Somchai said.

If the two did not step down, the EC would be obliged to file a complaint with the court to seek their removal, via Article 182 (7) of the Constitution.

Somchai said the court did not make a statement about their stepping down from their posts because the complainants did not request a ruling on the matter.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said if Boonjong did not want to seek re-election he would not need to step down. He was responding to reports that Boonjong would not quit his ministerial post and seek re-election but would get his wife to run in the by-election instead, after he was disqualified as an MP.

Democrat Party spokesman Buranat Samutrak said PM Abhisit would consult with his Cabinet to set a political standard in order to bring about public confidence in connection with the recent court ruling disqualifying the six MPs.

Boonjong has continued to carry out his ministerial duties despite calls for him to step down.

The deputy Interior minister presided over a ceremony in Nakhon Ratchasima's Chalerm Prakiat district yesterday to give state funds to 1,920 families affected by the recent floods. He said Bhum Jai Thai Party would decide whether he should step down to run in the by-election or if his wife Kanchana should contest the election to "save" his ministerial post.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

Millions vote in Burma's first election in 20 years

Rangoon - Burma's military-ruled population started voting Sunday in the country's first election in 20 years, designed to introduce "discipline-flourishing democracy."

An estimated 29 million people were eligible to vote in Sunday's polls, the first since May 27, 1990.

This year's election has raised few expectations for real change in Burma, which has been under military dictatorship since 1962.

Current military supremo Senior General Than Shwe has vowed the polls will usher in a "discipline-flourishing democracy."

The military has stage-managed the run-up to the election in such a way as to assure the victory of its own proxy party, the Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) and other establishment-friendly parties such as the National Unity Party (NUP).

Opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is currently under house arrest, due to be released on November 13, and her Natonal Leagu for Democracy (NLD) party have boycotted the election urging heir followers not to vote.

Altogether 37 parties and 82 independents are contesting the race for 1,159 seats in three houses of parliament: upper, lower and regions/states.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

Phuket keeps on truckin’ for flood relief

phuket-1-kExkFwe.jpg

Wipada Setharath donates 15,000 baht on behalf of the Karon

Sea Sands Resort Phuket.

phuket-4-WsrZXpJ.jpg

Sharan Singhsachakul hands over 100,000 baht and food items costing

50,000 baht on behalf of the Sikh temple in Phuket Town.

Follow this link:

Seven districts in Mae Hong Son declared winter disaster zones

MAE HONG SON, 7 November 2010 (NNT) - Seven districts in Mae Hong Son province have been declared winter disaster zones. Locals have to depend on campfires to protect themselves as well as their animals from the near-freezing weather.

With temperature dropping below 15 degrees Celsius for more than three consecutive days, Mae Hong Son authority has declared seven of its districts winter-disaster zones

The coldness has been affecting the people, who are mostly poor, and their animals. The Mae Hong Son Governor and the Thai Red Cross Society have provided the locals in 180 households with blankets to help ease the suffering.

Meanwhile, the Friends of the Asian Elephant Foundation officials in Lamphang province have to make campfires to keep the pachyderms warm at night, during which the temperature in the area drops below 14 degrees Celsius.

In Lamphun province, locals have flocked over stores to buy cheap winter clothes brought in from China, Japan, and Korea. Most of them cost between 199-250 baht each. Used clothing are even cheaper. People in this province have heard that this year’s winter will be much colder and longer than usual; therefore, they bought the coats early in case the prices go up.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-11-07 footer_n.gif

Monks in the South suffer from floods

SURAT THANI, 7 October 2010 (NNT) - People in many provinces in the South are still suffering from floods. In Surat Thani Province, monks, who usually survive on alms and food offered by devout Buddhists, have to prepare their own meals; as they have been unable to leave the temple .

Floods up to a meter deep in in Surat Thani Province have forced monks in some areas to cook their own meals given they have been trapped in the temples since last week, and unable to go on their alms-begging round as usual. Fortunately, they still have a good stock of rice and several kinds of dried food as well as other ingredients from which to prepare the meals.

In Trang province, monks in Pra-sit-tichai temple had to move their belongings and temple's valuables to the second floor to prevent them from damage. Overflow from the Trang River has caused floods higher than 2 meters in the city inundating homes and other properties. Temples in the province have to put off all religious activities to later dates or until the water level has receded.

nntlogo.jpg

Flooding in 30 provinces, 161 deaths reported

BANGKOK, 07 November 2010 (NNT) - According to the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, 161 deaths by floods have been reported in 30 provinces, and people in 7 southern provinces have been warned of mudslides.

The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has revealed that, currently, 30 provinces have been severely affected by floods, and 161 people have died since the deadliest flood in decades hit most parts of the country last month..

Although the situation has greatly improved in the 7 southern provinces of Krabi, Pathaloong, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwas, Satool, and Songkhla, people in these provinces have been warned of existing risks of mudslides in the wake of heavy rain.

nntlogo.jpg

PM will fly to China and Japan next week

BANGKOK, 07 November 2010 (NNT) -Prior to his leaving for China next week to attend the opening ceremony of the Asian Games, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva last Friday sent 5 tons of fresh fruit to China; which would be given to those related to the games to taste in the hope of expanding markets for Thai fruit.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he would attend the opening ceremony of the Asian games in China next week, and that he had sent over 10 types of fruits, weighing five tons, to China. The fruit, he said, was to be given to important people and organizations during the Asian games. He hoped the move would lead to Thai fruit's being able to gain a foothold in China, the largest market in the world, in the future.

After attending the Games opening ceremony in China, Mr. Abhisit will fly to Japan to attend the APEC meeting in Yokohama.

nntlogo.jpg