Nationwide Bs

GEZMAC

If it's any help, drew 5000bht from Aeon ATM, no 150bht charge, cost on statement £104.79 which equates too 47.71 bht to the pound including NW charges.

Is this for a November transaction? This doesn't tally with the expected charges for November of 2% plus £1.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's any help, drew 5000bht from Aeon ATM, no 150bht charge, cost on statement £104.79 which equates too 47.71 bht to the pound including NW charges.

Is this for a November transaction? This doesn't tally with the expected charges for November of 2% plus £1.

I withdrew 7000 baht on the 7th which cost £148.97 and in addition was charged £2.97 plus £1

The new charges were not introduced until this month. So you'll need to check this month's statement.

Oh !! well roundabouts and swings as always with a couple of roller-coaster thrown in.:ermm:

Still never mind it is still not worth me going back to England just yet, the airfare would negate any extra charges.:D

If the fees begin to annoy you, you can apply for the N&P online. Application

Online Banking

Fee free from Jan 1st.

Thanks for all the info Jiu Jitsu.

I live and work in Saudi and come to Thailand on holiday with the Mrs (Thai), so for us, having a card that is the cheapest way to withdraw from ATM's abroad is an important factor. We both currently have NW Flex Accounts each but these new charges are starting to make me to want to maove elsewhere.

Currently, I get my salary paid into the Nat West and simply transfer funds online into my Nationwide Accounts for any money I may need to withdraw from an ATM. Can I do this with the N&P Current Account?

Also, I can't find any of the details that reference the changes in Jan 2011. All I can find are the details in FAQ's which states:-

Can I use my N&P debit card abroad?

Yes, you can.

It's accepted wherever you see the VISA /PLUS symbol. When the charge is processed back in the UK, the amount you've spent abroad will be converted into Sterling at the exchange rate which applies at that time. A 1.75% handling fee (2.75% from 15th March 2010) and any VISA processing fees will also be applied. A charge of £1.50 (£2 from 15th March 2010) for each foreign cashpoint transaction, and 50p (£1.25 from 15th March 2010) for each foreign debit transaction will be made.

I live and work in Saudi and come to Thailand on holiday with the Mrs (Thai), so for us, having a card that is the cheapest way to withdraw from ATM's abroad is an important factor.

Presumably you visit regularly - why not just fund a Thai bank account ?

I live and work in Saudi and come to Thailand on holiday with the Mrs (Thai), so for us, having a card that is the cheapest way to withdraw from ATM's abroad is an important factor.

Yes, we come all the time. Every few months. How do I go about funding a Thai account?

Yes, we come all the time. Every few months. How do I go about funding a Thai account?

Briefly, put the money youwere putting into the NWide into a Halifax Reward account. They pay a 5.00 bonus for each month you credit more than GBP 1,000. Their online SWIFT transfers to Thailand are GBP 9.50. There is a simple online template to complete and you tick the option to send Sterling. The Thai bank (Kasikorn in my case) convert the Sterling on receipt at their "TT" rate (decent - similar to the rates we used to get on NWide VISA) and take 0.25% min 200 Baht max 500 Baht charges.

I transfer one amount a month (I could do it every 2 or 3 months but I choose monthly) and it costs me GBP 4.50 (net of reward of gbp 5.00) at the UK end and 4.25 (200 Baht) at the Thai end.

No charges for Thai ATM withdrawals (unless you are out of Province and you may pick up 10 or 20 Baht charge).

I sould like a walking advert for Halifax :) - I am not, I spent over 30 years working for a different bank but I have found Halifax to be the best choice for me. My 2 NWide accounts now have Nil balances !

Briefly, put the money youwere putting into the NWide into a Halifax Reward account. They pay a 5.00 bonus for each month you credit more than GBP 1,000. Their online SWIFT transfers to Thailand are GBP 9.50. There is a simple online template to complete and you tick the option to send Sterling. The Thai bank (Kasikorn in my case) convert the Sterling on receipt at their "TT" rate (decent - similar to the rates we used to get on NWide VISA) and take 0.25% min 200 Baht max 500 Baht charges.

I transfer one amount a month (I could do it every 2 or 3 months but I choose monthly) and it costs me GBP 4.50 (net of reward of gbp 5.00) at the UK end and 4.25 (200 Baht) at the Thai end.

No charges for Thai ATM withdrawals (unless you are out of Province and you may pick up 10 or 20 Baht charge).

I sould like a walking advert for Halifax :) - I am not, I spent over 30 years working for a different bank but I have found Halifax to be the best choice for me. My 2 NWide accounts now have Nil balances !

You forgot the Promo Code again. :)

The new charges were not introduced until this month. So you'll need to check this month's statement.

Oh !! well roundabouts and swings as always with a couple of roller-coaster thrown in.:ermm:

Still never mind it is still not worth me going back to England just yet, the airfare would negate any extra charges.:D

Online Banking

Fee free from Jan 1st.

Thanks for all the info Jiu Jitsu.

I live and work in Saudi and come to Thailand on holiday with the Mrs (Thai), so for us, having a card that is the cheapest way to withdraw from ATM's abroad is an important factor. We both currently have NW Flex Accounts each but these new charges are starting to make me to want to maove elsewhere.

Currently, I get my salary paid into the Nat West and simply transfer funds online into my Nationwide Accounts for any money I may need to withdraw from an ATM. Can I do this with the N&P Current Account?

Also, I can't find any of the details that reference the changes in Jan 2011. All I can find are the details in FAQ's which states:-

Can I use my N&P debit card abroad?

Yes, you can.

It's accepted wherever you see the VISA /PLUS symbol. When the charge is processed back in the UK, the amount you've spent abroad will be converted into Sterling at the exchange rate which applies at that time. A 1.75% handling fee (2.75% from 15th March 2010) and any VISA processing fees will also be applied. A charge of £1.50 (£2 from 15th March 2010) for each foreign cashpoint transaction, and 50p (£1.25 from 15th March 2010) for each foreign debit transaction will be made.

Here is a link to the info that you requested.

Since it isn't only Thailand you will visit, it's right that you should open a few more avenues for yourself.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Mr boo transfers money from Uk bank account (NW) to his thai bank account (Bkk Bank) via paypal. Makes life much easier when sending money to his mum & a way for us to save monthly in Thailand whilst working in UK

Online Banking

Fee free from Jan 1st.

Thanks for Buddy l'll give it a try.:jap:

Wife niece withdrew £250 yeasterday (Eaon)and N/W "consideration" was £5 plus £1 fee...

Total £6 quid to take out song roi ha sip nicker.

With bank Krungthrep it would have added another 150bt making a total of £9 to withdraw £250............so ce la vie... :annoyed:

and who said banks were stupid ...??? :bah:

Wife niece withdrew £250 yeasterday (Eaon)and N/W "consideration" was £5 plus £1 fee...

Total £6 quid to take out song roi ha sip nicker.

With bank Krungthrep it would have added another 150bt making a total of £9 to withdraw £250............so ce la vie... :annoyed:

and who said banks were stupid ...??? :bah:

I'll ask him MrBoj & report back tomorrow after he checks pp but I think the only charge was paypal costs & whatever Bkk Bank charge mil for withdrawal fee in country.

Also the exchange rate will be telling...unless they present to the Thai bank in Pounds. Probably 3% if they don't.

Mr boo sends his mum the same amount in GBP every month, trust me, my mil would have kicked a stink if it was much different to what she has been getting in recent months so it can't have been too bad :D. I'll find out the rate & post back ;)

All banks will charge you to withdraw money overseas.

Please don't post rubbish.

Not with Citybank accounts in europe: free account, free debit/credit card, no charges for foreign countries withdrawals.

Statement shows currency rate, no other charges.

Requirement: 10k euro monthly average balance.

ATM Withdrawal / Payment abroad

THB 20.000,00 ( 1 EUR = 41.456791 THB )

08/06 08:21 H.

Debit: -482,43 EUR

ATM Withdrawal / Payment abroad

THB 20.150 ( 1 EUR = 42.098445 THB )

08/09 12:45 H.

Debit: -478,64 EUR

First withdrawal no 150 baht fee charged, second includes 150 baht.

Certailnly more free banks to be found.

Edited by tartempion

If I understand this paypal fee page, Mr Boo set up the payments from his bank account rather than debit/credit card so the fee should be .5%. Is that right?

And the fixed fee for sending receiving in Thailand is 11baht...

Is there an exchange rate involved? Perhaps an amount in GBP, transaction date and the amount received into the account in Thailand will give a clearer idea of the costs involved.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Despite these new charges by Nationwide they are STILL the cheapest way to get money from an ATM

A small bonus is that they seem to use the interbank exchange rate which is usual a couple of baht more than the exchange booths.

Using Nationwide to draw £300 in Thailand costs 2% + £1 (+150bt) = £6+£1+£3 = £10

Using a Halifax Clarity credit card costs 12.9%/12 + 150bt = £3 + £3 = £6

Halifax use the interbank rate too.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to confirm that the Saga Credit Card is definately the way to go.

As has been said if you top up the card with a credit balance there is no charge what so ever on ATM withdrawals other than what the foreign bank ATM providers might charge.I was told this by Saga customer support and this week have had the chance to confirm that information.

I have not had the need to use the card in Thailand for an ATM withdrawal as I have a Thai bank account with enough cash for my current needs.I am currently in India and have withdrawn money at the rate of 71.25 INR to the pound.I used my nationwide gold credit card to pay for a hotel stay on the same day and got a rate of 70.54 INR which would reflect the 1% visa fee that is charged on purchases.

Drawing cash via Saga is even cheaper than paying for goods with the NW credit card and it knocks the pants off their flex account debit card which is just a run of the mill card these days.

I now have Saga,Halifax Clarity CC's and NW Flex debit and Gold Credit cards and use them in that order of preference.The Nationwide cards are now only with me as a 'last resort' senario. I have also opened up a Halifax rewards current account and have the majority of my credits and banking transactions with them.They pay me between five and ten pounds a month depending on my Clarity card spending.They also gave me 50 GBP just for opening the account. The majority of my savings have also moved away from Nationwide to places like ING direct which offer a superior rate of interest with free instant access.

Next year when I need a cash injection for my Thai bank account I will top up my Saga card with a credit balance and withdraw cash over the counter at no cost what so ever...I seem to remember the same deal with Nationwide many moons ago.

I would advise others to shop around since IMO Nationwide is just an also ran when it comes to getting the best deals.

I would just like to confirm that the Saga Credit Card is definately the way to go.

As has been said if you top up the card with a credit balance there is no charge what so ever on ATM withdrawals other than what the foreign bank ATM providers might charge.I was told this by Saga customer support and this week have had the chance to confirm that information.

I have not had the need to use the card in Thailand for an ATM withdrawal as I have a Thai bank account with enough cash for my current needs.I am currently in India and have withdrawn money at the rate of 71.25 INR to the pound.I used my nationwide gold credit card to pay for a hotel stay on the same day and got a rate of 70.54 INR which would reflect the 1% visa fee that is charged on purchases.

Drawing cash via Saga is even cheaper than paying for goods with the NW credit card and it knocks the pants off their flex account debit card which is just a run of the mill card these days.

I now have Saga,Halifax Clarity CC's and NW Flex debit and Gold Credit cards and use them in that order of preference.The Nationwide cards are now only with me as a 'last resort' senario. I have also opened up a Halifax rewards current account and have the majority of my credits and banking transactions with them.They pay me between five and ten pounds a month depending on my Clarity card spending.They also gave me 50 GBP just for opening the account. The majority of my savings have also moved away from Nationwide to places like ING direct which offer a superior rate of interest with free instant access.

Next year when I need a cash injection for my Thai bank account I will top up my Saga card with a credit balance and withdraw cash over the counter at no cost what so ever...I seem to remember the same deal with Nationwide many moons ago.

I would advise others to shop around since IMO Nationwide is just an also ran when it comes to getting the best deals.

All change from the 25th of January 2011. They will no longer allow credit balances after that date.

Just roll with the punches.

sorry forgot to come back with the charges via paypal for transfering to thai bank account.

All in approx 250 baht. 4 pounds from UK end & 50 baht from the thai end

Exchange rate was just over 47 baht - 1 GBP

Despite these new charges by Nationwide they are STILL the cheapest way to get money from an ATM

A small bonus is that they seem to use the interbank exchange rate which is usual a couple of baht more than the exchange booths.

Using Nationwide to draw £300 in Thailand costs 2% + £1 (+150bt) = £6+£1+£3 = £10

Using a Halifax Clarity credit card costs 12.9%/12 + 150bt = £3 + £3 = £6

Halifax use the interbank rate too.

Replying to my own post. I've just got back from Thailand and have been using the Halifax Clarity to draw cash. I drew 10,000bt per time and drew a total of 80,000bt altogether. A couple of days after I'd drawn I'd use Nationwide internet banking to transfer money into the Clarity card so there was no outstanding balance. Just had my Clarity bill. I've paid a total of £1.47 interest on 80,000bt worth of withdrawals.

By way of contrast I used my Nationwide Flexaccount ATM card to make a couple of withdrawals on the same day as the Clarity withdrawals. The exchange rate difference between the two was 1-2 satang - once in Halifax's favour, once in Nationwide. The difference was that each Nationwide withdrawal cost me £5.27 in fees.

Edited by endure