Diving Similan

chris5346

You would be best basing yourself in koh Lak rather than Phuket in my opinion. Cheaper and you save time on the sailing to the dive sites. A live aboard is a must. Try a live aboard that side then hop over to the gulf side for Koh Tao. :D

A liveaboard is not a must. It is a must for those that want to force you on the boats or that are too lazy. The Sililains are a lovely island group, well worth staying on. Far better than some crap leaky boat.

Don't use any boat that brings you into Mu Ko Surin group.

The large boats usually moor at Ko Stoke. The engines are kept running. They disturb the snorkelers from Surin and often chase away the turtles and the sharks. These people are very annoying. They come, they make noise and they leave. Looks like a total rip-off. I don't know what they pay to get out there but I pay B80 for the afternoon from Mae Ngam in Surins.

If you wish to see the Surins, you can camp and enjoy the park for a fraction of the cost of a dive boat. Don't dismiss snorkeling vs diving in this area. There are many dive boats (too many!) that pull in here as well as a few boats down from Ko Phayam.

Another spot outside the group Richeleau Rock is another favorite. Possibilities to see large pelagic in season but despite many boats mooring here, I don't know if the place is any good outside late Mar-May.

You may consider looking into camping on Similain islands. Its a bit of a scam, but far less of one than taking boats. May be a challenge getting your tanks filled and out to some of the spots but I think will be far cheaper and better quality experience than staying in Khao Lak. Similans is expensive, last I heard they were forcing you into a camp tent and that was B500 a night. Plus park fee and boat trip out.

Edited by bangkokburning

The best way to dive Similans (plus Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock) is by liveaboard diveboat. Do a trip of minimum 4 days to be able to visit all highlights in a nice and relaxed manner.

Most boats these days depart from Khao Lak, some from Phuket. From Phuket you have a choice of all boats, also those departing from Khao Lak, and transfers will be included. From Khao Lak the offer is more limited.

Have fun.

hi,

thanks for replies,

if i decide a liveaboard would it need pre-booking b4 i go ? any recomendations ? or links to some reviews etc ?

has the diving in thailand been affected by the bad weather ?

i live in the north and maybe only in thailand for a couple more months so i'm thinking of maybe a 2 week break somewhere ?

will probably only go there once so thinking a good quality liveaboard .

would it be worth staying on the similans and then maybe getting a seperate boat for reishileu rock from khao lak ?

i presume the best snorkling is on the islands ?

i have done a liveaboard b4 for 10 days 4 dives a day on a big boat in the philipinnes and loved every minute of it , i'm hoping to find the same here but maybe it's different ?

need to do some research i guess,

thx again,

chris

My advice is also to visit the Similan island by live aboard. Day trips are possible but will limit you to 2 dives a day and are more expensive over all compared to a live aboard. to book a live aboard trip .

The diving in the Similan island group has not been affected by the current patch of bad weather, the seas may be (or have been) rough but should not really interfere or affect the diving.

Staying on the island group overnight will cause a logistical problem since there will be no tanks and equipment for rent. Some shops will offer to drop you off by speedboat and than pick you up each day that you book for and supply tanks and equipment. Not sure how much cheaper that is compared to a live aboard. In this set up you will also not be able to visit all sites.

Not sure how much cheaper that is compared to a live aboard.

Not cheaper at all, more expensive.

regarding prebooking: there will be last minute offers if you book on the spot, you will need a bit of flexibility, but also take into account that the boats that offer best value for money will be the boats that have more prebookings and less (if any) last minute offers.

• 1 month later...

I've been on live aboards in the Similans and Burma a number of times, but it's been a while. I'm planning a trip for early next year. Any recommendations as to specific boats and or companies? All the ones that I've used before seem to be out of business :lol:

Tapana

(A web search will easily find it.. ) A great boat, comfortable and excellent value for money IMO. The crew are extremely helpful and experienced.

I've been on this boat in Chumpon / Koh Tao waters and on the Andaman / Similan. I wouldn't hesitate to go on another trip on this boat, it beat my expectations.

Tapana

(A web search will easily find it.. ) A great boat, comfortable and excellent value for money IMO. The crew are extremely helpful and experienced.

I've been on this boat in Chumpon / Koh Tao waters and on the Andaman / Similan. I wouldn't hesitate to go on another trip on this boat, it beat my expectations.

I notice they don't post prices on their web site. Probably out of my range. Looks like a lovely boat, though. Do you recall how much you paid?

• 3 weeks later...

You would be best basing yourself in koh Lak rather than Phuket in my opinion. Cheaper and you save time on the sailing to the dive sites. A live aboard is a must. Try a live aboard that side then hop over to the gulf side for Koh Tao. :D

Well put. A live aboard is the only way to go. Minimum 4 days. I would to for at least 5. It is fantastic diving and the boat I was on was great. Great equipment, great guides, great food, great boat. Trip of a life time for sure.

http://www.andamanscuba.com/

http://www.phuketdive.net/

http://www.scubacat.com/

I would also google "scuba dive similand thailand" or "scuba dive khao lak thailand". Lots of hits show up....have a fantastic time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEs...very much agreed w/ H20....alot of the liveaboard operators who use to be based in Phuket have mostly moved up to Khao Lak. There's actaully very few left in Phuket...

As for EAst West side diving...when one is in season, the other is not (& in monsoon season...ususally resulting in bad vis).

The general dive season on the:

West: Oct - April

EAst: April - Aug

...but w/ the variations of weather patterns these days...the months & vis do seem to be changing +/- a month or so...

Edited by LawrenceAlexWu

alot of the liveaboard operators who use to be based in Phuket have mostly moved up to Khao Lak. There's actaully very few left in Phuket...

There are still many liveaboard operators in Phuket, I think even more than in Khao Lak.
As for EAst West side diving...when one is in season, the other is not (& in monsoon season...ususally resulting in bad vis).

Sorry, but not true. The season has for the daysites on the West coast, like Shark Point area, Bida islands and Racha Islands, no effect on the visibility.

alot of the liveaboard operators who use to be based in Phuket have mostly moved up to Khao Lak. There's actaully very few left in Phuket...

There are still many liveaboard operators in Phuket, I think even more than in Khao Lak.

Sorry, but not true. The season has for the daysites on the West coast, like Shark Point area, Bida islands and Racha Islands, no effect on the visibility.

Have to agree with Steven! Visibility at the Phuket and Phi Phi dive sites varies all year round, but has nothing to do with the monsoon seasons. In fact, I have had many dives on the Phuket spots in low season with much better visibility than during high season.