Queue Jumping

kunash

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure the German guy hadn't woke up really early and put his beach towel first in the queue? In that case he didn't jump the queue; he were there first. Placing bath towels on things is the the German and Scandinavian way of claiming the sole right to that object :D . Sometimes I wonder why they didn't drop towels instead of bombs during the Blitz ;) .

Edited by Hawkup2000

I think queueing is a Western discipline.

You really need to learn the meanings of the words 'discipline' ('to be taught to be instructed in societal mores (in this example's context) and behavioural/good manners (civility towards one's fellows) which are universal.

I always go with the second option of the three, 'plonk my stuff down next to/ahead of their's, along with the stinkeye, sometimes accompanied by a swift elbow jab to the ribs).

There's farang obsessed mealy mouthed 'culture' and downright bloody rude. Upside is, in my neck of the woods at least, caught up fast, even with their comPATRIOTS. C'mon. give it a try, we'll soon have 'em understanding we're not just standing there enjoying the bloody view.

Edited by evanson

Not wishing to be critical of Thais but, as a race, they generally seem to lack spacial awareness and awareness of what is going on around them e.g. how their actions affect others.

I suppose that may be an unfair generalization but I've observed some annoying behavior patterns that occur repeatedly, that just wouldn't fly in most western countries.

Both motorcyclists and Sidewalk-vendors park their vehicles in the most inconvenient location on the sidewalks, restricting the flow of pedestrian traffic. I don't think it's intentional; they just don't seem to be aware that they are creating and inconvenience for others.

Thai's seem to be under the impression that when you turn on the 'Emergency Blinkers" in your car the whole world must come to a stand still while you resolve what ever it is you have determined to be your personal Emergency.

The most common occurrence of this that I've witnessed is on Thonglor, where there or only 2 lanes of traffic going both ways. It's not uncommon for a Thai to turn on their "Emergency Blinkers" in the middle of one of the flowing lanes of traffic and nip into a 7-11 to do a little shopping, with complete disregard for the other drivers that are sharing the same road with them. Meanwhile outside thousands of cars and motorcycles are all trying to merge into the remaining single lane in order to bypass the bottleneck that has just been created. :huh:

But what can the consequences be for standing up for yourself and your fellow queuers?

I saw a doccuemtary once, which showed some CCTV footaage of a fast food take away in London. A lady jumped the queue and placed her order, much to the annoyance of someone already queuing, who demonstrated his objections. The queue jumper left the take away, and a minute of so later her boyfriend entered, who just happened to be about 200 KG in weight. The boyfriend took one swing at the objector, laying him flat out cold.

At that point I go into hunter mode. I don't care how long it takes to stalk that jerk. Eventually he pays the price. Nobody is big enough to prevent a sneek attack.

When I read your reply, you reminded me of my favorite character in the movie "Slaughterhouse Five" written by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.; His name was Paul Lazaro. On one occasion he was bitten by a dog, so he went out and bought a juicy Steak but filled it up with a chopped up piano wire. Of coarse the dog chowed it down in record time, but When it finally fell over bleeding from the mouth Paul shouted "that's me inside, stabbing you with tiny little knives."

I'm not sure how many times he repeats it in the movie but his most famous expression is "Nobody Fvcks with Paul Lazaro."

I highly recommend you see this movie; You'll love Paul Lazaro. :D

Edited by TimTang

This is why I don't shop at Tesco Lotus. I always try & get 10 items or less & pay cash.

But their stupid express check out aisles are like a rugby scrum.

98% of the little pri@ks will try & cut in front even though there is an orderly queue.

Rather than get stressed I shop at Carrefour.

The Thais are pretty tolerant of this nionsense. I'm not..

But what can the consequences be for standing up for yourself and your fellow queuers?

I saw a doccuemtary once, which showed some CCTV footaage of a fast food take away in London. A lady jumped the queue and placed her order, much to the annoyance of someone already queuing, who demonstrated his objections. The queue jumper left the take away, and a minute of so later her boyfriend entered, who just happened to be about 200 KG in weight. The boyfriend took one swing at the objector, laying him flat out cold.

That would earn you some jail time in the states. Battery.

For the yobbo it might be worth it to be a tough guy.

I learnt my lesson early on here by letting various locals get away with queue-jumping by not saying anything, looking around in disbelief that no-one else said anything and seeing them get served as if they've done nothing impolite.

Most frequent times are:

Taxi queue at On Nut (just as Andrew Biggs rightly points out in this week's Brunch mag). Just watch the (usually women) in a rush here skip the queue and try and jump in a cab. No-one blinks an eye. Saw a farang rant once and the posh family look at his as if he's a moron to publicly communicate they have no manners! However, the police there are getting wise to it and often stop the queuejumpers now.

7-11. If someone puts their stuff down next to mine that's fine. But if they get served first, that's a problem and I interject the cashier and await their response...which is always absolute silence and indifference. I learnt quickly you CANNOT rely on a cashier to do the right thing or get involved in a "who was first?" form of communication. You either ignore it or stop it.

MRT and BTS change booths. Happened twice and both young Thai male officeworkers (bucking the trend). Pushed right in while I'm at the desk and I quickly tell them who was next. They look confused and surprised, but don't argue. And amazingly....I don't get followed home and shot afterwards, as some posters would expect from making someone lose face.

I have to say, most times it's the lower classes who push in with no qualms...rough looking women going straight to the front of a BTS platform queue..as well as old Chinese in flip flops. Thais will give an annoyed look but that's all. It's left to foreigners to physically block them or convey verbally what they did was rude. Your average thai is often too nice for a public spat.

For the past three years I didn't wait in line much. I guess I am out of the queue loop. GF always went to the cashier. I got better things to do than wait in line. But since GF is gone yesterday I went into the 7/11 to buy a pack of cigarettes and some coke and raisin bread. I was at the register when a Thai businessman rushed in to buy a cell phone top up card. He put his money on top of the register and started talking to the cashier like I was not there. She told him I was first. I told her it's OK I have time. My pen lai, me way la. She took care of the guy and apologized to me. I said, no problem. My me bun ha. Today I went back to buy another pack of cigarettes because I must have misplaced the pack I bought yesterday.

As I was waiting in line a cashier came over and opened up another register and called me over, all smiles. She had the pack of cigs I thought I misplaced in a small bag. I had forgotten to pick up both bags yesterday thinking she had put everything in one bag. We chatted for a minute. Seems like a nice girl. Around 25 years of age. Not beautiful but cute. I gave her my cell phone and asked her to enter her number. All smiles, she did. The other cashiers giggled.

My all time favorite queue story happened when I was flying home after my last tour of duty in Vietnam. If you wore your uniform you could fly free but on stand by. I was tired from standing in line for 8 hours processing out of the Army and in no mood for foolishness. I presented my orders to the ticket agent who gave me a stand by pass and I went to the boarding area. There were three of us waiting in line. A captain, a colonel and me. The flight attendant boarded the aircraft with all of the paying passengers and waited a few minutes for late comers and then called the colonel. He boarded. Then she called the captain. He boarded. I was steamed. I had had it with rank. I had really had it with rank.

I stomped up to the desk and she smiled and said, “relax sarge, I only had one first class standby. The colonel and captain are flying coach. Enjoy your flight and the drinks are free.”

On-Nut Taxi queue is a good one for queue jumping .Happened to me last week after spending about 10 minutes standing in front of the hot coal and gas cooking stoves and the bad smell stalls and then this Arab pushes my TGF in the back and slides straight into the back seat of our taxi just as we where about to get into the next taxi.. When i said something about where did the c**t with the manners of a pig come from it looked like he was going to get out again and belt me until he saw that i could probably pick him up and throw him half way across Suk rd that he decided to go and the taxi just wanted to get out of there too. Just astounded how he could shove my gf out of the way and then not expect to cope some abuse.Maybe it was culturally insenitive of me to compare him with a poor pig but it was in the heat of the moment.

I also find the immigration queues at Swampy also bad for queue jumping but usually from the indians who then think think that it is okay to invite their whole family including uncles and cousins in and then one of them will not have the correct documentation or will start arguing with the immigration officer. I then need to decide wether to go to another queue or stay put. From second in line to fiftteenth and from a pleasent mood to a foul mood in seconds.

Now that is two things out of my system.

Edited by xen

I stomped up to the desk and she smiled and said, “relax sarge, I only had one first class standby. The colonel and captain are flying coach. Enjoy your flight and the drinks are free.”

That's a great story, Mark. Thanks

I now believe in Karma. I have too many personal stories not to. Like I said originally, it all depends on the mood I'm in with queue jumpers. Most often I let people go in front of me unless they are real pushy. But, in China I just have to push as hard as the locals or you don't get anywhere.

When it used to be the game for long stay foreigners to send their passports off with some Thai guy to get it stamped, I would run into a bunch of these guys buying flight tickets with a whole mit full of passports. I remember trying to catch an early flight to Udon Thani or Sakon Nakon and I had to stand all night in a line of these guys. I had to push as hard as they did or I would never have made that 6AM flight. There was only one flight a day and I didn't want to miss it. Thankfully, the authorities closed that loophole.

When it used to be the game for long stay foreigners to send their passports off with some Thai guy to get it stamped, I would run into a bunch of these guys buying flight tickets with a whole mit full of passports.

I witnessed a similar scenario the last time I went for a visa extension in Bangkok. There were about 8 to 10 people, all with que numbers from the front desk, sitting in the waiting room while 2 girls processed the extensions behind the desk at the front of the room.

Suddenly a scruffy looking Thai guy comes in with a mit full of passports, goes directly to the front and is served immediately while the rest of us sat and waited. I was a little annoyed but I didn't complain because to be fair, the Thai's have sped up that process fairly well.

It just seemed strange, with the new building and the more efficient process, that people willing to pay a small fee to a service company, still take precedence over people that actually do if for themselves.

I suppose the girls behind the desk made a little cash processing him first, but the guy had more passports than the total amount of people sitting in the waiting room.

Better to just grin-and-bear-it, or you may end up another mysterious suicide found hanging with a plastic bag over your head filled with solvent. :whistling:

I've usually got lots of time and my reaction depends on the mood I'm in. I actually enjoy annoying obnoxious people and happily waste my own time bothering them. Of course, I also allow others go ahead of me if I've got a lot in my cart and they only have a few items.

I allowed a guy ahead of me at the ticket office in the London Underground while I found my travel card, unfortunately, he was also paying for his entire group of about 6 people- some people take the piss!

I also allowed people past me in the post office while I taped and addressed my parcel, only to be delayed for 20 minutes while 2 stupid girls argued with the cashier about how their parcel was "only" 2 grams overweight. Not only did the cashier put up with it, but she allowed them to remove items from the parcel to bring it within weight, and even gave them tape to stick it together again! This was all while the queue was out the door of the post office. No wonder people get agro.

Makes one regret being considerate of others.

As for q jumping- in saudi arabia it seemed to be considered that foreigners should always make way for the locals, whether at the bank or at the airline check in etc etc. Just one example of hundreds why I really disliked being in saudi.

The best way of countering q jumpers that I know of, is to stand as close to the person in front as possible, and be ready to get to the counter as fast as possible, then stand right up against it. Helps to be solidly built ( fat ) and difficult to move.

$hit no I have done before at the Post Office, told them to wait their turn and nudged them to the side (out of line), also at the petrol station, I was waiting my turn in my car, and motorcyclist (woman) buzzes right into the pump (in front of me), I got out of my car and pushed bike out of the line and left it in the middle of the station driveway, and proceeded to get my diesel. Guess these arssholes need to be shown what the respecful way is to treat people. I say _uckem !!!!!!:annoyed:

Jail time, large legal fees, and a sizeable payment to the guy you hit. Happened to my friend and he's now driving a new car. Over here, it's best to just wait! :(

Jail time, large legal fees, and a sizeable payment to the guy you hit. Happened to my friend and he's now driving a new car. Over here, it's best to just wait! :(

the ''take away'' assault was so serious they even showed the CCTV footage on crimewatch UK. I am sure they must have caught the thug.

the ''take away'' assault was so serious they even showed the CCTV footage on crimewatch UK. I am sure they must have caught the thug.

I doubt it. Or at least I doubt if he will ever get penalised for it. I recall a situation in UK four or five years ago where CCTV caught a thug beating an 80 year old gentleman senseless on a bus. It may have been crimewatch. The thug was eventually freed of all charges.

Depends if I were in a rush or not.

I've pushed in front of the queue when I'm in a hurry. If someone does it to me when I'm not in a hurry, I say nothing.

It's not the end of the world. Don't let it ruin your day so you have to post on an internet forum about it.

My first years in Asia were mostly spent in PR China where (at least in the early 90s) queuing was not the habit ... I explained it to people back home that whatever it is in China, there is not enough to go around so that anyone who patiently waits in line will find out that there is nothing left when it is his/her turn ... So if you are polite in the queue you may also have to go home that night and have to tell the family that they will have boiled gruel for dinner because the duck feet or whatever were all gone when they hit the front of the line.

BTW M45 you are disappointing me ... I thought you were going to relate that your flight in First Class then became the inspiration for the airplane sequence in the first Emanuelle movie...

Edited by jazzbo

I nearly started a new topic for this but I think it fits here just fine.

Ultimately I am of the belief now that indeed, Thai's only show consideration where they HAVE to according to their social order. We in the "developed" west have an increased emphasis on equality and that means that while greater deference might still be shown to a royal, we all accept that "common courtesy" is the entitlement of ALL". Now this by no means is to suggest that everyone shows courtesy to all at all times, but we all KNOW that we SHOULD according to the Western moral compass.

The Thai moral compass is simply different I think. Now, some thais are aware of the global expectations of courtesy and raise their game as they would like to "fit in" to the developed worlds way of thinking as well as the perceived material gain. Others are still happy to treat people like dog turd unless forced to do otherwise.

Anyone have a similar finding?

Leads me to think perhaps every culture knows they are in the wrong whenever they jump a queue but they try anyway because they can!

You put your finger on it. They know exactly whay they are doing and consideration for others is not one of their virtues :)

The last time this happened I was in Dubai and some guy jumped in front of me at the Carefor. I grabbed him by his shoulder and leaned into his face.."You didn't see me standing there? What you think your just gonna jump in front of me or something?" I said calmly as I pushed past him and put my items down on the little conveyor belt. He was shook for a moment and didn't speak until finally he stammered "How, how are you putting your hands on me like this? You can't.." To which I interrupted "Or what? What you gonna do? if you don't like it, wait in line like everyone else. No one forced you to cut in front of me man." at which point my order was paid for and I left. I LOATH rude people, I'm like 190cm and 105 Kilo there is no way he didn't see me. I would have never done that to someone and I don't appreciate it being done to me.

On-Nut Taxi queue is a good one for queue jumping .Happened to me last week after spending about 10 minutes standing in front of the hot coal and gas cooking stoves and the bad smell stalls and then this Arab pushes my TGF in the back and slides straight into the back seat of our taxi just as we where about to get into the next taxi.. When i said something about where did the c**t with the manners of a pig come from it looked like he was going to get out again and belt me until he saw that i could probably pick him up and throw him half way across Suk rd that he decided to go and the taxi just wanted to get out of there too. Just astounded how he could shove my gf out of the way and then not expect to cope some abuse.Maybe it was culturally insenitive of me to compare him with a poor pig but it was in the heat of the moment.

I also find the immigration queues at Swampy also bad for queue jumping but usually from the indians who then think think that it is okay to invite their whole family including uncles and cousins in and then one of them will not have the correct documentation or will start arguing with the immigration officer. I then need to decide wether to go to another queue or stay put. From second in line to fiftteenth and from a pleasent mood to a foul mood in seconds.

Are you an American? I think Americans should have to pass an exam before receiving a passport.

I nearly started a new topic for this but I think it fits here just fine.

Ultimately I am of the belief now that indeed, Thai's only show consideration where they HAVE to according to their social order. We in the "developed" west have an increased emphasis on equality and that means that while greater deference might still be shown to a royal, we all accept that "common courtesy" is the entitlement of ALL". Now this by no means is to suggest that everyone shows courtesy to all at all times, but we all KNOW that we SHOULD according to the Western moral compass.

The Thai moral compass is simply different I think. Now, some thais are aware of the global expectations of courtesy and raise their game as they would like to "fit in" to the developed worlds way of thinking as well as the perceived material gain. Others are still happy to treat people like dog turd unless forced to do otherwise.

Anyone have a similar finding?

In the daytime I worked for the mayor of a city. Not only was he the mayor but had some military connection in a town peopled by the military. When I went into a 7/11 I always got served first. I didn't have to cut into the line,the cashier would open a new register when she saw me coming. I ate at two different restaurants. One at work and the other outside of work. At work I would go directly to the counter and order my food as my status demanded that. Everyone got out of my way. At the restaurant outside of work I tipped big. Big because no one else tipped anything. I always got my food first and no bones or gristle in the chicken. I like white meat only in my cow men gai and I always got only white meat in my cow men gai.

I had a military connection when I first came to Thailand at the old airport. When I arrived they opened up another booth to process my passport and visa. When I went through customs a man hand carried my bags through the gate.

This did not seem odd to me. This seemed like the Thai way of doing things. Now I am not working and have lots of time.

I don't mind people cutting ahead of me. Now when I go out I look at the day wondering what interesting things will happen to me today. I don't react harshly to anything. I take more time to look and smile and walk slowly.

If there is a cop directing traffic when I cross the street he will stop traffic and wave me across. If I get into a crowded song tau the driver will ask me to sit up front with him. They don't know me. It is not because I am a Falang. They know I work with the mayor and it never hurts to have friends at city hall.

I don't expect Thais to follow my moral compass about anything. I like it here and I am just trying to get alone.

I don't hang around with Falangs. So all of this queue management stuff is an education for me. If in the future I see a Falang in line I will certainly switch queues as I don't like conflict situations.

Are you an American? I think Americans should have to pass an exam before receiving a passport.

What a dumb shit statement. What's your education level?