Is Pattaya Going Downmarket?

thaimate

Sorry thats more than 3 things but the weather here in Thailand is great,

I suppose this depends on what you're used to, but for me the hot, tropical weather in Thailand is terrible.

For sure, but it is really bad only mid april to june or so. Other than that, it's not too bad.

Spoke with my friends back home. 1 foot of snow and -3C. Gotta be a happy medium somewhere! :huh:

Agree extremes of temp. are the pits...but I'll take the tropics over the extreme polar latitudes, with it's t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops vs. down parkas, mitts, fur hats, and snow-boots, any day :)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why some of you are discussing the "too hot" weather here? What the heck are you talking about? People who stay here usually stay here partly for the weather! I think all of us middle European Farangs do miss a cold winter day from time to time, but....not a valid reason for me to return.

What bothers me is the low exchange, the constant inflation. Some things are really getting too expensive here, and even the strong Baht, prices for imported goods never go down.

Sorry thats more than 3 things but the weather here in Thailand is great,

I suppose this depends on what you're used to, but for me the hot, tropical weather in Thailand is terrible.

For sure, but it is really bad only mid april to june or so. Other than that, it's not too bad.

Spoke with my friends back home. 1 foot of snow and -3C. Gotta be a happy medium somewhere! :huh:

I dislike the climate all year around, but I come from a beautiful, dry subtropical climate (South-East Queensland, Ausralia).

Why some of you are discussing the "too hot" weather here? What the heck are you talking about? People who stay here usually stay here partly for the weather! I think all of us middle European Farangs do miss a cold winter day from time to time, but....not a valid reason for me to return.

Speak for yourself. I never came to SE Asia for the weather. The weather is something I must tolerate.

Speak for yourself. I never came to SE Asia for the weather. The weather is something I must tolerate.

I don't mean to be rude, so please don't take it that way....but why are you here then? Work? If so, working here would be the pits. I had a job offer for Singapore. I was living in New York City at the time. Went for a visit...no way. Couldn't imagine walking around in a suit in that weather. It's hotter there than here!

I don't mean to be rude, so please don't take it that way....but why are you here then?

Maybe the same as the rest of us? I have come to dislike such hot weather too, but luckily Chiang Mai is great at this time of year.

1386-0905-1201-1305.jpg

It's been nice here in Ban Amphur also! Finally warm enough so I can swim in the pool at night! Couldn't do that a few weeks ago. :(

I don't mean to be rude, so please don't take it that way....but why are you here then?

Maybe the same as the rest of us? I have come to dislike such hot weather too, but luckily Chiang Mai is great at this time of year.

1386-0905-1201-1305.jpg

Now lets see now - why would a person live in Pattaya if not for the oppressive heat?

The weather, beaches and most other things are better back at home in Australia.

Now lets see now - why would a person live in Pattaya if not for the oppressive heat?

The weather, beaches and most other things are better back at home in Australia.

why would a person pay fancy OZ income tax if he/she can avoid it? :whistling:

I don't mean to be rude, so please don't take it that way....but why are you here then? Work? If so, working here would be the pits. I had a job offer for Singapore. I was living in New York City at the time. Went for a visit...no way. Couldn't imagine walking around in a suit in that weather. It's hotter there than here!

those of us who are not slaves of the IRS enjoy living free of income tax in Thailand even though some of us (like me) hate Thailand's shitty² weather.

:whistling:

1386-0905-1201-1305.jpg

Again, if it is so much better back home, why are you here?

I could say the same thing about the US. Some fantastically beautiful beaches. Great restaurants, great roads, etc. But that's not enough to make me want to move back...

Some people consider paying tax a social responsibility. :o

some people in Scandinavia and north-western Thailand like to eat stinking rotten fish. to each his own :whistling:

That's not a reason to live in Pattaya. You could avoid that income tax as long as you live offshore.

Again, if it is so much better back home, why are you here?

I could say the same thing about the US. Some fantastically beautiful beaches. Great restaurants, great roads, etc. But that's not enough to make me want to move back...

You're very slow to pick up on this. I'm not going to spell it out.

Taxes = Legalized Theft!

Only people who can't avoid paying it.

Why should a person living in Thailand pay Australian tax?

That's not a reason to live in Pattaya. You could avoid that income tax as long as you live offshore.

what are you talking about? enjoying the weather, beaches and all those "better" things in Australia but living offshore? :lol: we do live offshore as Thailand IS offshore for us.

one of the various reasons we selected Pattaya is because we have been spending part of our holidays here for more than a quarter century and therefore knew what kind of infrastructure to expect. Australia (Queensland) was on our list a dozen years ago. we even bought land 100km north of Brisbane and planned to build. then ridiculous conditions for foreign retirees were imposed and we said "no, thank you!"

by the way, people without any sense for lifestyle live in the polluted, dirty and noisy actual Pattaya as opposed to those who live in the vicinity but use the convenient shopping opportunities Pattaya provides.

by the way, people without any sense for lifestyle live in the polluted, dirty and noisy actual Pattaya as opposed to those who live in the vicinity but use the convenient shopping opportunities Pattaya provides.

Exactly!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We made out first trip into town in almost a week yesterday. Did our biz and headed back out. Perfect.

what are you talking about? enjoying the weather, beaches and all those "better" things in Australia but living offshore? :lol: we do live offshore as Thailand IS offshore for us.

I assumed you were Australian but living in Thailand. You are not avoiding Australian taxes if you live offshore. I had no idea you werre an immigrant.

I assumed you were Australian but living in Thailand. You are not avoiding Australian taxes if you live offshore. I had no idea you werre an immigrant.

vell, yew are ekskused bekause vhen i post in Thaivisa yew kann of kourse not identify my tcherman akzent. :lol:

p.s. i lived and worked in a bunch of countries but was never an immigrant.

Edited by Naam

What are you doing in Thailand then? Only on holiday?

my wife and i live since 6 years in Thailand based on a retiree visa. but that does not make us immigrants.

Pattaya has always been a "value" destination. Your budget goes further here and most people like a bargain.

Pattaya going up market? Hmmm, if I want "quality" I can think of other places with cleaner water. But, for the money, Pattaya is a good deal.

Then there are the babes :D

my wife and i live since 6 years in Thailand based on a retiree visa. but that does not make us immigrants.

I reckon its close enough. You've taken up permanent residence in another country.

Edited by tropo

I reckon its close enough. You've taken up permanent residence in another country.

For myself I have taken up temporary residence in another country as long as its financially worthwhile, IF Thailand were to change its (tax) laws I would need to reconsider my temporary residence elsewhere.

For the time being I am just another peon (ไพร่) waiting in line for my extension each year.

For Thailand permanent residence visas havent been issued for at least 6 years.

Love your way of thinking please come with me to Chaeng Wattana next year and sweetmouth the nice immigration lady into giving me permanent residence staus.

Pattaya has always been a "value" destination. Your budget goes further here and most people like a bargain.

Pattaya going up market? Hmmm, if I want "quality" I can think of other places with cleaner water. But, for the money, Pattaya is a good deal.

Then there are the babes :D

You are correct Pattaya is a 'value' destination. The ability to purchase a house in USA in a decent area for the price of a Car also makes it a 'value' destination.(at the moment)

Pattaya was & always will have the 'rep' of cheap & readily available sex....'upmarket ??????? look around at the 'new Indian tourism' influx. I have seen at least 3 attempts at different places of underpaying & leaving without paying for food & drink & last week in Bangkok was amazed , I thought I was in Chennai not Patpong.

Ex pat Retirees I met in Penang & KL seem much more content with the fact they can own property & not have the 'Police State' mentality of annual immigration checks etc. but some others I met in Bali in Sanur are happiest there. Personal taste as with everything in life

We are keeping an open mind as we still have 18months to go to decide where to put down our final home purchase