Jai Words

Neeranam

I used to have a list of "jai" words that I had made up over the years. I lost it :o

Can some of you nice people help me make a new one?

I will start with "Jai Dee" - Kind

"Cheun Jai" - refreshing

Some of the more obscure ones would be welcome.

Jai .......

.......Jai, gaw dai.

Kawp Koon Khrap :D

"jai dee" can also mean generous... :o

"jai lon" - hot-hearted or angry

"jai yen" - cool hearted or calm

"jai dum" - black hearted, selfish, ignorant <deleted>

/Edit - just remembered a beauty... "jai duang nee" - it means that one is tatally committed to another in a relationship. Each person would like for their partner to say "I love you and jai duang nee is for you only."

:D

Edited by Jai Dee

jai lon" - hot-hearted or angry

Just like to add for those not sure of pronunciation

Jai rawn or rorn is closer to correct (same as "hot") often spoken with the "L", lawn or lorn

Korp jai - Thankyou as in child to adult, student to teacher etc.

Jai yen yen - Calm down, calm down.

Lots of Thai verbs will change their meaning slightly when adding 'jai' as a prefix or suffix - one important thing to remember is that you should not over-emphasize the 'heart' part in terms of meaning - these words seem more special when you first learn about them because of the 'jai', making people think Thais have so many feelings - but 'jai' is just as much 'mind' as it is heart. (jit-jai = mind, hua jai = heart).

I think it should be the other way around. Korb jai (ขอบใจ) should be said by equal or superior to inferior.

Edited by Edward B

I think it should be the other way around. Korb jai (ขอบใจ) should be said by equal or superior to inferior.

Sorry, if I am wrong, but I always understood it to be the way I stated.

Perhaps Meadish will be able to clarify

EDIT

I see Meadish beat me to it.

Always happy to be corrected :o and to learn

It was explained to me in Isaan, incidently. A long way back when I knew verrrrry little Thai. So obviously I misunderstood at the time.

Edited by loong

Great links guys, thanks a lot, exactly what I needed. These lists are similar to the lists I lost, except longer I think.

Pratap jai = impressed

I found pim jai on the list meaning impress.

I heard it on the Loso song that is on the tv advert.

"rao yim pim jai".

Funny, as I asked a few Thai friends what this meant and they didn't know.

- just remembered a beauty... "jai duang nee" - it means that one is tatally committed to another in a relationship.  Each person would like for their partner to say "I love you and jai duang nee is for you only."

My wife didn't really get the gist of what I was saying.... her interpretation of what I was saying was along the lines of...

"if you have many drinks and you give to everyone and not ask for money" kind ofg like jai dee but lots more ... :D

when she repeated what I had said it sounded like she was saying "guang jai"... was it being lost in translation ? :o

totster :D

- just remembered a beauty... "jai duang nee" - it means that one is tatally committed to another in a relationship.  Each person would like for their partner to say "I love you and jai duang nee is for you only."

My wife didn't really get the gist of what I was saying.... her interpretation of what I was saying was along the lines of...

"if you have many drinks and you give to everyone and not ask for money" kind ofg like jai dee but lots more ... :D

when she repeated what I had said it sounded like she was saying "guang jai"... was it being lost in translation ? :o

Dunno mate... I use it with my missus all the time and she has no complaints. :D

In fact... she likes me saying it to her. :D

Maybe we can get a Thai language expert to give us some guidance on that one?

Dunno mate... I use it with my missus all the time and she has no complaints. :D

In fact... she likes me saying it to her. :D

Maybe we can get a Thai language expert to give us some guidance on that one?

I was trying to be clever and it didn't really work.... didn't have the desired effect.. :D

Maybe someone could advise..?

"if you have many drinks and you give to everyone and not ask for money" kind ofg like jai dee but lots more ... 

when she repeated what I had said it sounded like she was saying "guang jai"... was it being lost in translation ? 

totster 

Sounds like she was describing "jai gwang" , "gwang jai" - generous

Edited by Neeranam

"if you have many drinks and you give to everyone and not ask for money" kind ofg like jai dee but lots more ... 

when she repeated what I had said it sounded like she was saying "guang jai"... was it being lost in translation ? 

totster 

Sounds like she was describing "jai gwang" , "gwang jai" - generous

That's it ....!! :o

how do I say the other phrase that Jai Dee was suggesting... thai spelling or tone marks would be helpful

how do I say the other phrase that Jai Dee was suggesting... thai spelling or tone marks would be helpful

I don't know if it's the correct pronunciation but I say it as "jai <even, flat tone> dwung <low tone> nee <high tone>"... at least thats how the missus likes it. :o

She usually picks on me if I pronounce something wrong... :D

:D

I don't know if it's the correct pronunciation but I say it as "jai <even, flat tone> dwung <low tone> nee <high tone>"... at least thats how the missus likes it. 

She usually picks on me if I pronounce something wrong... 

I'd write it like "doo ung" .

I don't know if it's the correct pronunciation but I say it as "jai <even, flat tone> dwung <low tone> nee <high tone>"... at least thats how the missus likes it. 

Much more betterer thanks Neeranam! :o

Much more betterer thanks Neeranam! :o

Thanks guys... I'll try it on the missus again later... :D

Much more betterer thanks Neeranam! :D

Thanks guys... I'll try it on the missus again later... :D

Let us know how you go totster!

:o:D

Let us know how you go totster!

:o:D

To me it looks like "jai duang nee", which just means "this heart" - 'duang' is the classifier (collective noun) for counting hearts and stars, etc.

Ok ... finally got the wife to understand....

Meadish - Wife said it means heart.... but after a little bit more explanation "this heart" would seem correct.

Jai Dee - Wife said the phrase would be better if said like this..

Jai dooung nee pom hai khun - this heart I give for you

Jai Dee - Wife said the phrase would be better if said like this..

Jai dooung nee pom hai khun - this heart I give for you

Thanks totster... I'll practise that one and try it out tonight. :D

What sort of results did you get?

Was she suitably impressed with your efforts?

:o