Girosole Italian Restaurant

Ulysses G.

The food is always good, but I was surprised at how good the 3 piece Western band is. They do light rock covers, but have their own unique sound. An excellent woman singer plus a guitar and saxophone.

Every Friday from 8-10 PM and well worth checking out. Not far from Thapae Gate and nice veggie dishes as well as meat and cheese ones.

I forgot to mention that there is a big garden type area out back where they play. There is lots of seating inside or outside and it is cool and comfortable now, so either one is very pleasant.

UG, can you post clear directions as to the location.

Many thanks :jap:

As clear as I can. If you are at the Montri Hotel inside the old city, you go straight down Ratchadamndoen Road (Sunday walking street) for one full block until you see a complex with Wawee Coffee. You turn left there and Girasole Restaurant is several shops down from Wawee Coffee - but behind it. The garden type area is behind the restaurant.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Mrs Millwall_fan and I dined there a few weeks ago bringing Mother-in-Law and Junior Milwall_fan and were greatly impressed: good food, pleasant atmosphere, good service and the cost for the four of us (M-i-L doesn't eat much) was about 1,700 baht including a few glasses of house plonk. Highly recommended, as UG says.

As clear as I can. If you are at the Montri Hotel inside the old city, you go straight down Ratchadamndoen Road (Sunday walking street) for one full block until you see a complex with Wawee Coffee. You turn left there and Girasole Restaurant is several shops down from Wawee Coffee - but behind it. The garden type area is behind the restaurant.

if this is the place with the Yamaha dealership on the opposite corner, then i've eaten here a few times. good food and good price. pizzas are good good.

i've never been there on a friday though.

if this is the place with the Yamaha dealership on the opposite corner, then i've eaten here a few times. good food and good price. pizzas are good good.

i've never been there on a friday though.

That sounds like the place.

I've always thought the food was good and the veggie dishes are not the same old stuff, but it was extra good last night and the music was just right for dining. :thumbsup:

Is this the location?

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=girasole+restaurant,+ratchadamnoen,+chiang+mai,+thailand&sll=18.790844,98.830402&sspn=0.336725,0.511551&ie=UTF8&hq=girasole+restaurant,+ratchadamnoen,&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&cid=4857155012588913901&ll=18.790597,98.985357&spn=0.00711,0.00912&z=16&iwloc=A&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=girasole+restaurant,+ratchadamnoen,+chiang+mai,+thailand&sll=18.790844,98.830402&sspn=0.336725,0.511551&ie=UTF8&hq=girasole+restaurant,+ratchadamnoen,&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&cid=4857155012588913901&ll=18.790597,98.985357&spn=0.00711,0.00912&z=16&iwloc=A" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

If it is, feel free to click on the link in the map and write a review. I am not connected with the place but find it is always nice to spread the word when one discovers a good restaurant.

That is the correct restaurant, but the arrow is in the wrong place. The restaurant is about 600m east and 50m south of there. Ate there last night, good as allways, and available from meals on wheels.

Iain

Yes my Google search (and experience) in locating "girosole chiang mai" puts the restaurant one intersecting street to the east.

Girosole is located on Ratchaphakhanai, not the more westerly Phra Pokklao Rd. I confuse them all the time, going to Yamaha bike shop.

Anyway, Wawee coffee (coming from the E.) is a great marker. I agree that courtyard seating in evening particularly pleasant now, whichever ethnicity of foods one chooses to savor (other choices nearby).

Edited by CMX

Ditto - good restaurant and excellent location with natural outdoor seating.

Stefano is the owner of Girolsole and he has Stefano's also nearer Tapae Gate. Stefano is very hospitable - a true northern Italian!

Food is pretty good as far as Italian goes and prices are reasonable. Worth noting he accepts BYO wine to compensate for his limited wine list. Most middle market establishments do.

Stefano is the owner of Girolsole and he has Stefano's also nearer Tapae Gate. Stefano is very hospitable - a true northern Italian!

Food is pretty good as far as Italian goes and prices are reasonable. Worth noting he accepts BYO wine to compensate for his limited wine list. Most middle market establishments do.

What do they charge for corkage?

Thaihog, corkage is one of those things that is charged in principal but I have rarely paid it.

Instead I patronize the establishments well and thereby creating an "understanding".

By memory most corkage charges are nominal and certainly not something I would mind when dividing by 4 for example.

Also, I always consider the fact that I can buy a bottle at a restaurant for let's say 900 baht, or can buy the same bottle retail for half the price and pay 100 baht corkage.

Thaihog, corkage is one of those things that is charged in principal but I have rarely paid it.

Instead I patronize the establishments well and thereby creating an "understanding".

By memory most corkage charges are nominal and certainly not something I would mind when dividing by 4 for example.

Also, I always consider the fact that I can buy a bottle at a restaurant for let's say 900 baht, or can buy the same bottle retail for half the price and pay 100 baht corkage.

Often, if a restaurant knows they have a limited wine selection they will invite you to BYOB and not charge corkage. Some restaurant owners are happy to make their profit on food, other booze and drinks.........the waiver is good PR.

That is the correct restaurant, but the arrow is in the wrong place. The restaurant is about 600m east and 50m south of there...

That's terrible for Google to place a restaurant so far off the mark. I have reported it to Google Maps.

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to eat at Le Chrystal or Mandarin Oriental, but was shocked to be removed to Europe - not by Mario or at La Terrace but at lunch today at Girosole.

Perhaps it's all the Thai food or the "popular" food standard that I imagined represents western tastes here. I ordered a seafood salad. The conception and implementation were marvelous. Doubtless the novelty was part of it, but it represents so far my most memorable dish here.

Recognize that tastes vary. There was a sharpness (cheese) and the olive oil and the quality of the seafood that just sang together; did not need jazz. I think tomatoes are "in" now; anyway, they were perfect with the lot. Hard not to go back tonight for same again.

Or i might have been impressed by the four French gents who were regaling each other over those little coffees - the long lunch. But I'm going back, with thanks to those who aimed me there in the first place.