Xl Or Xxl Motorbike Helmet In Chiang Mai

heybruce

I'm in the market for a new motorbike helmet and having trouble finding my size. By western standards I have a moderately large head, 7 3/8 hat size if I remember correctly. Apparently in Thailand this is huge; when I tried on a large helmet in Carrefour I barely got it down to the ears. I don't want to buy from one of the many roadside helmet stands because I've read that they often sell helmets that have been sitting on the shelf for years, and helmet padding degrades with time.

Does anyone know of a reputable place that sells reasonable quality full face helmets in XL or XXL for a reasonable price? My idea of reasonable is in the neighborhood if 1000 baht, I'd rather not spend 10K or 20K on a helmet.

7 3/8 what is it?

58? 60? 62 cm?

58-60-62 size with label "Index" you can buy in Big C or Tesco

in Tesco near High Way Road - 100%

I'm not sure how hat sizes translates into metric, but 7 3/8 is between large and extra-large in the U.S. and probably the same in Europe. The Tesco Lotus north of the old city didn't have full face helmets, and the large helmets in Carrefour weren't large enough. Before I make the trip to Big C I'd like some assurance they have full face helmets in XL or XXL; sizes that are proving difficult to find.

Try the helmet shop on Chiang Moi road. If you turn down Chiang Moi from the moat, it's maybe 100m down on the right (maybe more?). They sell "REAL" brand helmets, which seem a whole lot more real than what you'll find at Tesco or Carrefour. The XL I got there is definitely smaller than an XL you would find outside Asia, but it's worth a shot.

The helmet shop on Sri Donchai roughly opposite Suriwong bookstore has Real (brand) helmets in xl xxl. The difference between xl and xxl may be in the liner. These seem to sell quickly so I wouldn't worry about age. BTW they sport a DOT label. The same people have a shop on Chiang Puak thus a better-than-most selection.

I bought a Real Ozzy xxl there for about 1600 recently - about the same as the price on the RealHelmets website.

XL = 61 - 62 cm = 7 5/8 - 7 7/8 but sizes vary a lot. Maybe Google "helmet size chart?"

G'luck

There is a shop opposite the Surrawong book shop heading down from the moat towards pantip plaza, before the Mae Ping hotel.(next door to the second hand comic book shop) I buy all my helmets from there and they have all sizes. You can get a "Real Brand" in there for about 1200thb.

There's numerous places where you might find a real helmet for 1000 - 1500. If this is too much for you then you may get an old index helmet or something like that cheaper.

Consider that the prices come down as new models are released. This means that for around B1000 your probably going to get something that's been in stock for a while. Add the fact that you need a large sized helmet and it's a matter of luck finding somowhere that may just have one in stock.

It all goes back to "the more you spend, the better you get".

This also includes more choice as well.

You could also consider looking on line at some of the stores in Bangkok, most of them are more than hapy to ship vis EMS which means you'll have a new lid in days rather than weeks.

If you check previous threads on helmets you will find links to some of these stores. Be aware though, most of them stock quality lids only so you may have priced yourself out of their market

The helmet shop on Sri Donchai roughly opposite Suriwong bookstore has Real (brand) helmets in xl xxl. The difference between xl and xxl may be in the liner. These seem to sell quickly so I wouldn't worry about age. BTW they sport a DOT label. The same people have a shop on Chiang Puak thus a better-than-most selection.

I bought a Real Ozzy xxl there for about 1600 recently - about the same as the price on the RealHelmets website.

XL = 61 - 62 cm = 7 5/8 - 7 7/8 but sizes vary a lot. Maybe Google "helmet size chart?"

G'luck

Thanks, I'll give that place a try. I don't mind spending 1600 baht for a good helmet, I'm just not interested in the 20K baht helmets. I'm a firm believer that 90% of the cost goes into the last 10% of performance, and I'm willing to settle for the first 90% of performance at a much lower price.

BTW, if XL is 7 5/8 - 7 7/8, then Thai helmets definitely run small, because I know my head is not that big, but the L size at Carrefour was way to small for me. Not really a surprise, I have to go one size up from the clothes I buy in the west over clothes here.