Thai Police Arrest Swedish Man For Tax Fraud Valued At Over 400 Million Baht

webfact

Swedish Man Expelled for Tax Fraud

Swedish national Mr. Carl Fredrik Lundgren, 41, has been arrested in Thailand for tax fraud valued at over 400 million baht.

According to the Thai police, Mr. Lundgren used the company Gold Digger Co., Ltd on Koh Phangan near Koh Samui to commit the serious economic crimes involving more than 100 cases of fraud valued at over 400 milllion baht. Colonel Wiwat told news reporters at Thai media that Mr. Lundgreen has admitted committing the fraud.

Instead of standing trial in Thailand, Mr. Lundgren's visa for staying in Thailand has been revoked by the Thai Immigration Police and he has been handed over to the Swedish Embassy for further legal action, he says.

Source: http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?news_id=7721&coun_code=se

SCANDASIA

-- 2010-11-18

footer_n.gif

Hmmmm.....deport the Problem.....keep the cash? Shurely not .... :whistling::rolleyes::lol:

regards to All on a gorgeous Thursday

Brewsta

And no doubt relieved of his assets by the trustworthy, hard-working cops on Koh Pha-Ngan. Possibly a case of crooks vs. crooks. No doubt TV will solve the case.

And is it factual that the Swedes will not investigate or prosecute the alleged Tax Fraud supposedly committed here in LOS?

Any facts......please?.

Cheers from Chiang Mai (registered tax-exempt haven)

BemusedBrewsta

Hmmmm.....deport the Problem.....keep the cash? Shurely not .... :whistling::rolleyes::lol:

Brewsta

And no doubt relieved of his assets by the trustworthy, hard-working cops on Koh Pha-Ngan. Possibly a case of crooks vs. crooks. No doubt TV will solve the case.

And is it factual that the Swedes will not investigate or prosecute the alleged Tax Fraud supposedly committed here in LOS?

Any facts......please?.

Cheers from Chiang Mai (registered tax-exempt haven)

BemusedBrewsta

Brewsta

The Swedes will not investigate or prosecute unless his offences in Thailand can be prosecuted under Swedish law, which I would doubt. Remember, he is not undergoing extradition procedures and he has not been charged with a crime by Sweden. He has only had his Thai visa cancelled and been handed over to the Swedish Embassy.

So which is it, the fricken or the chegg? Did this guy defraud and evade taxes or did he simply make a whole lot of money

which was, in essence, seized?! Was it that he made the money too quickly so did not have the infrastructure in place to

work out the technicalities (hands in the pot)? Or did he do something else politically incorrect and the hands saw an opening?

He must have been making a shit load of money if he has defrauded the Thai government of 400M baht. I thought farangs working overseas were required to pay tax in both countries so I guess he was defrauding the swedish government also.

WHAT????? Why should a guy working overseas pay tax to Sweden???? that is never heard of.

Glegolo

The original report here is more brief and vague than usual, and that's going a long way...

No one's yet posted what that supposed company is about. But if it was involved in somehow defrauding Swedish citizens in Thailand and/or the movement of funds between the two countries, perhaps there's some legal ramifications back home....

Going by his Facebook photo, it's hard to believe he had 400 baht, much less 400 million baht....

Carl Fredrik Lundgren, 41, has been arrested in Thailand

....that, of course, is presuming there's not two that match in exact name, approximate age, and exact location.

Amazing that someone would invest in a company called:

Gold Digger Co., Ltd

:blink::huh:

How about a company called Ample Rich? (I think that's what it was called, if I remember correctly.)

Another mishmash name, but I believe that company only had one family for investors, the owners themselves.

He must have been making a shit load of money if he has defrauded the Thai government of 400M baht. I thought farangs working overseas were required to pay tax in both countries so I guess he was defrauding the swedish government also.

WHAT????? Why should a guy working overseas pay tax to Sweden???? that is never heard of.

Glegolo

This is only Australia

This Ruling deals only with the question of residency for the purposes of Australia's income tax laws. However, the fact that a person is a resident of Australia for Australian income tax purposes does not mean that the person may not also be a resident of another country for the purposes of that country's taxation laws. A number of double taxation agreements to which Australia is a party recognise the possibility of a person being a resident of two countries, in other words, a person may have dual residency. Those agreements provide rules for determining the country of which the person is deemed to be a sole resident. Therefore, if a person is considered to be a resident of Australia as well as a resident of another country, regard must be had to the terms of the particular double taxation agreement in determining the person's residency status. A dual resident, who is treated as solely resident of another country for the purposes of the relevant double taxation agreement, remains a resident of Australia for the purposes of the Income Tax Assessment Act (compare paragraph 5 of Taxation Ruling IT 2607).

As the Samui police will verify..'.there's gold in them hills'No mention of where the cash is..where is assets seized...and of course by whom?Sounds like a good outcome by all involved...Thai justice has been seen to be done...Another case solved and dealt with swiftly!!!

Glegolo

This is only Australia

This Ruling deals only with the question of residency for the purposes of Australia's income tax laws. However, the fact that a person is a resident of Australia for Australian income tax purposes does not mean that the person may not also be a resident of another country for the purposes of that country's taxation laws. A number of double taxation agreements to which Australia is a party recognise the possibility of a person being a resident of two countries, in other words, a person may have dual residency. Those agreements provide rules for determining the country of which the person is deemed to be a sole resident. Therefore, if a person is considered to be a resident of Australia as well as a resident of another country, regard must be had to the terms of the particular double taxation agreement in determining the person's residency status. A dual resident, who is treated as solely resident of another country for the purposes of the relevant double taxation agreement, remains a resident of Australia for the purposes of the Income Tax Assessment Act (compare paragraph 5 of Taxation Ruling IT 2607).

Pretty sure as an Australian citizen, if you are not residing in Australia, nor drawing an income from Australia, you have no tax to pay on your income being made from the country you are currently residing in.

Coming through the local grapevine (so not verified):

This guy runned the tool rental place in ban tai behind the 7/11 and did construction work on the island as well, used the name silva or singwa and stayed with his son and sometimes with a girlfriend or wife.

What i heard via via is that he committed loans fraud in Sweden a long time ago, used the island as a hideout and Sweden wanted him back before the charges back home expired.

Always on an old bik or used an old car and spotted him sometimes drinking a beer at 7/11.

It is a bit of a weird story, the last person i would suspect to have all this money and his son is a very nice kid.

Curious if anyone has more info?

I am not sure this case has to do with Australia which is not mentioned in the news report. It seems he is wanted for tax fraud in Sweden and is being extradited which seems reasonable. The report didn't mention which entities were liable for the tax, so the question of his personal tax residency may be irrelevant. It sounds as if he may have used a Thai company as a nominee to facilitate tax evasion by individuals or companies in Sweden.

This guy runned the tool rental place in ban tai behind the 7/11 and did construction work on the island as well, used the name silva or singwa and stayed with his son and sometimes with a girlfriend or wife.

What i heard via via is that he committed loans fraud in Sweden a long time ago, used the island as a hideout and Sweden wanted him back before the charges back home expired.

Certainly sounds more plausible then him defrauding Thai tax system of 400 million baht.

Is this his Facebook page?

http://www.facebook....dgren/565587286

Would you buy a used car from this man?

Lol, but in that picture he's holding a Thai child.

Is that his kid?

Brings up many more questions in my mind and I'm pretty sure everyone knows what they are.

what question? are you suggesting the guy is a pedo for having his pic taken with a child? I had better delete my pics with my daughter if so many people are as narrow minded as you, the guy is accused of fraud, not sex crimes

If I were a Swede, I would evade taxes too. :rolleyes: I mean they haul by the truckloads Somalis and other camel drivers from Africa who cannot even read. It does not even matter are they real refugees or not, it is a big industry there. Their chances of being employed within next 20 years in Sweden is about zero unless it is related to the hauling industry mentioned. That is your multiculty paradise right there. Just like Denmark's Queen said, "Stockholm is a <deleted> Beirut" or at least the southern city Malmo is...

Certainly sounds more plausible then him defrauding Thai tax system of 400 million baht.

Finally some facts? It's sad I had to wade through so much crap to find some Reason.

Sometimes I wonder.... is this a serious or cynical people bashing forum?(rhetorical question)

Fraud and tax evasion committed in Thailand, and he was handed over to the Swedish Embassy, presumably for deportation? He can't be tried for those charges in Sweden. Sounds like a sweet deal to me....

The fraud was presumably against the Swedish Government, some case from 10 years back.