Retirement Extension In Pattaya

deejah

i have a list from them of what is needed

looks pretty simple and straight forward and easy

i have also read here that it is quite painless in patttaya

with a non immm oa visa from the usa

is there anything one should be particularly aware of?

there is non mention on the list when one should apply

1 week before the visa entry stamp expires?

1 month?

of course it is best to extend on the day before or day of expiration to have the most possible time left to stay

but that might be impractical

thanks for your help

Applying "early" does not EVER lose you any time on your new annual extension! The next extensions ALWAYS start on the date after the current expiration. By all means, do NOT wait until the last minute; that really is asking for a possible problem. Jomtien office welcomes these applications as early as TWO MONTHS before your current expiration and no excuse at all is needed. More typically, most people seem to apply about ONE MONTH early. Even earlier than two months may be possible if proof can be supplied of the need, such as travel plans.

I had a great experience renewing my retirement visa...got there at 3:30pm...was called immediately. The gal looked at all my paperwork....the imm officer then stamped all my papers,paid my money and then the lady in the back said come back tomorrow...total time about 5 minutes

Yes, I agree. In my experience, if you go to Jomtien Immigration prepared with what you need, chances are you will sail through your process. The staff are civil and polite, actually know what they're doing, and try to keep things moving with a minimum if problems. Great place, if you're prepared (and of course polite, too).

My recent experience also was very smooth and went very quickly. I had all the paperwork in order, everything absolutely perfect and ready. However, I must say my feeling was that this time (not the first time, but worse than usual) they were noticeably grumpier and ruder than they needed to be. Nothing to ruin my day and they aren't smile workers, but I don't have to pretend to like that part of it. Yes I was perfectly polite, clean, and dressed fine.

Edited by Jingthing

Great info. Mine needs to be renewed in March. Glad I can do it earlier as it would make me feel much better! I also like going late in the day. I went 2 times in the AM and waited a fair amount of time. Last 2 times has been around 4pm and there was nobody there!

Question: I am from the US and doing the "retirement" visa. I am assuming I need a new income verification letter. If I get that at the upcoming consular visit, can I use it in late January when I apply for my extension? Or would it be better to wait until next year. I've heard mixed reports on this.

P.S. I like you new avatar, JT!

Great info. Mine needs to be renewed in March. Glad I can do it earlier as it would make me feel much better! I also like going late in the day. I went 2 times in the AM and waited a fair amount of time. Last 2 times has been around 4pm and there was nobody there!

Question: I am from the US and doing the "retirement" visa. I am assuming I need a new income verification letter. If I get that at the upcoming consular visit, can I use it in late January when I apply for my extension? Or would it be better to wait until next year. I've heard mixed reports on this.

Well, I have been told that the letter is good for one year (not sure within application for extension or expiration of Visa). Like you, my Visa extension comes due in March. With the extreme rise in the cost of the letter, I'm not going to do it at the next Consular visit on Dec 1st. That would make the letter more than 90 days old. I'll wait and go to Bangkok at the end of January as normal, to get the letter. The first Consular visit to Pattaya in 2011, is March 1st. Which is too close to my expiration date (March 3). It's not worth the risk, added cost, or hassle. Even though I hate the trips to Bangkok!

Well, I have been told that the letter is good for one year (not sure within application for extension or expiration of Visa). Like you, my Visa extension comes due in March. With the extreme rise in the cost of the letter, I'm not going to do it at the next Consular visit on Dec 1st. That would make the letter more than 90 days old. I'll wait and go to Bangkok at the end of January as normal, to get the letter. The first Consular visit to Pattaya in 2011, is March 1st. Which is too close to my expiration date (March 3). It's not worth the risk, added cost, or hassle. Even though I hate the trips to Bangkok!

The following info was received by me from ACS (American Consular Services):

show details Nov 3

Dear Bangkok Consular District American Citizens,

The Consular Section of the American Embassy in Bangkok is pleased to

inform you of the consular outreach schedule for fiscal year 2011. Exact

hours and venues will be provided in future messages. Dates are subject

to change, but we intend to stay as close to this schedule as possible.

Consular staff will be available to provide services as follows:

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 Khon Khaen

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 Pattaya

Friday, December 17, 2010 Phuket

Thursday, January 6, 2011 Khorat

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 Pattaya

Thursday, March 10, 2011 Udorn

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 Phuket

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 Pattaya

Thursday, June 9, 2011 Khon Khaen

Thursday, June 16, 2011 Phuket

Thursday, September 1, 2011 Pattaya

Thursday, September 8, 2011 Udorn

Friday, September 16, 2011 Phuket

The following consular services will be available during our outreach

visits:

* Passport renewal applications

* Notarial Services and Certified Copies. This includes income

affidavits for retirees in Thailand.

* Extra visa pages. Note: we can accept applications, but the

passports will have to be brought back to the Embassy for final

processing the next business day. As of this writing, Thailand Post has

approved our request to use prepaid envelopes to return passports. We

will bring prepaid envelopes on outreaches that you can buy from us (at

cost) if you wish us have us mail your passport back to you.

Alternatively, you can pick up your passport at the Embassy. You can

also have a friend pick up your passport by giving them written

authorization to present to us.

* Our ability to answer Social Security, VA, or other federal

benefits questions will be limited, but we will try to provide forms and

answers.

Consular Reports of Birth cannot be processed during consular outreach

trips.

Costs for services will be announced along with the hours and venues for

each outreach event.

If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call the

American Citizen Services Unit at 02-205-4049.

We look forward to seeing you.

Sincerely,

American Citizen Services

U.S. Embassy

Bangkok, Thailand

Greg

I just did my 90 day reporting and saw Barry there. So, asked him about the income verification letter. He said it is good for 6 months...maybe more, depending on who is looking at it. But for sure, 6 months. He is pretty knowledgeable about this...so...I'm going to get my letter on December 1st and will go for my extension the middle of February (my visa expires March 9th). He did say the bank statement should be as recent as possible, but for sure no more than a week old.

Hope this helps!

there is non mention on the list when one should apply

1 week before the visa entry stamp expires?

1 month?

of course it is best to extend on the day before or day of expiration to have the most possible time left to stay

but that might be impractical

The extension of stay is granted for one year from the date the old one expires, so it doesn't make any difference if you apply one day or one month before the expiration.

My extension expires at the end of January and I have always gone in at the start of December. They encourage you to get it done early. In the unlikely event you need to get some further verification of income or a fresher letter from the embassy or whatever, you'll have time to get it done. Also, if you use your balance in a Thai bank as part of the income verification, as soon as you get the new extension you'll have another year before you need to keep watching your bank balance.

I have an embassy letter from September and I also asked Barry if that would be OK for an application in December and he said it was not a problem.