Toyota Prius...Anyone?

vspin134

post-116362-0-74687300-1290087679_thumb.

launched a couple days ago and already in Toyota website. with less than 1.2 Mil. s it worth it for green car with tech gimmick? in US $25,000 almost half the price of whats in Thailand...but this is the first high tech car in Thailand that is specifically built for Hybrid (Camry is not)

Edited by vspin134

Ford Focus diesel is much greener, drives much better and cost less ;)

Diesel is not "green". That's why they can't sell the Focus (or any Diesel car) in the USA - ... Diesels have a lot of advantages, I drive one too, but being green is not one of them.

Those slagging the Prius - sorry but that's just bizarre. The Prius was the first hybrid car, introduced over 10 years ago; it had lots of technological advancements to make it not only possible, but also practical. That's why it became a best seller. People don't want to compromise on power, or range, or, really, anything - in order to save the environment.

No Diesel can match the city rating for a Prius. A Diesel is great on the highway, but in stop and go traffic and lots of kms on very short routes, it's terrible. That's where the Hybrids shine.

Ok so it looks like a shoe. But it's a good car. Really exciting it's coming to Thailand. 1.2M is a bit steep though. You didn't think Thailand would give tax breaks to environmentally friendly cars - oh no!

The reason that they can't sell any diesel car in the U.S. has more to do with the mindset about diesels and the fact that a gallon of fuel is priced at $4,00 only.. If you think your're helping the planet by driving a hybrid I suggest to read a little more about those nickel batteries and the way they are produced (not to mention recycled)

A Prius uses around 5l/100 km.. Modern diesels like VW Polo 1.4 TDI, Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Econetic, Peugeot 1.6 HDIF beat those numbers by at least 10% with similar emissions.

Besides it being way overpriced, it's butt-ugly too.

Diesel is not "green". That's why they can't sell the Focus (or any Diesel car) in the USA - ... Diesels have a lot of advantages, I drive one too, but being green is not one of them.

Those slagging the Prius - sorry but that's just bizarre. The Prius was the first hybrid car, introduced over 10 years ago; it had lots of technological advancements to make it not only possible, but also practical. That's why it became a best seller. People don't want to compromise on power, or range, or, really, anything - in order to save the environment.

No Diesel can match the city rating for a Prius. A Diesel is great on the highway, but in stop and go traffic and lots of kms on very short routes, it's terrible. That's where the Hybrids shine.

Ok so it looks like a shoe. But it's a good car. Really exciting it's coming to Thailand. 1.2M is a bit steep though. You didn't think Thailand would give tax breaks to environmentally friendly cars - oh no!

True - the Prius Hybrid gets 3.9L/100KM city cycle, vs 4.6L/100km for the Fiesta Econetic (which is amongst the best eco diesels). On the highway the Fiesta outperforms all hybrids to the point where it still wins overall on the combined city/highway cycle ratings.

The Prius Plug-in will improve upon that, but only for shorter commutes given it's (ridiculously tiny) 20KM electric-only range.

However, the problem it the Prius is simply overpriced by 50% - there's no way you could ever mash the numbers to make it appear a value buy, and being such a mediocre car in every respect makes it huge compromise for anyone shopping in the 1.2M+ Baht category.

Thai's shopping in this price range are probably the most value-conscious buyers anywhere in the world.. I would be very surprised if domestic sales end up accounting for anything more than about 5% of Thai production.

All European countries consider modern diesels to be much greener than any hybrid yet for sale. On fuel, and all together during 10 years life cycle. Thus the sale of +70% diesels in most countries

For those few with a dayly commute of city driving of only 20-30 km and charge availability before going home again, Prius is green, until new batteries are needed.

Thai made hybrids, so far Prius and Camry, enjoy heavy tax breakes, thus subdidised.

As for the US, one of the few countries who still do not want to look at other sources for transportation fuel. No diesel, no CNG, no LPG. Gasoline only. Now supported by a couple of batteries

Edited by katabeachbum

The Prius became popular not because it was a great car or even that it was very green but rather it became popular because it was bought in the hundreds of thousands by the holier than thou Al Gore greenies and celebrities to " Prove " how green and great they were and nothing else. Your modern diesel car is far better than the many so called green cars when you actually look at the figures for them. ;)

The Prius became popular not because it was a great car or even that it was very green but rather it became popular because it was bought in the hundreds of thousands by the holier than thou Al Gore greenies and celebrities to " Prove " how green and great they were and nothing else. Your modern diesel car is far better than the many so called green cars when you actually look at the figures for them. ;)

its true alright!

• 2 months later...

Prius battery range is in MHO a joke

Ehm.. it's a Hybrid, meaning the purpose of the electric system is to retrieve power that would otherwise be wasted (braking, etc.) and then re-apply it. That's why it doesn't need a ton of batteries. This is not a cell phone that you charge and then use for a certain time period, the power is charged and used continuously.

I rather like it. Wheel base is almost that of the Camry, so it's quite a bit bigger than a Corolla. And look at all the technology you get for that. Plus it's real quiet and smooth.

I plan to take a test drive in this model this weekend.

What I would like to know, is why the heck would Toyota, only now, would sell the prius here? It's been out for ages in other countries, gain a decent reputation for being the 1st good hybrid. But I can't see it catching on here in Thailand. Surely the start/stop/start traffic in bangkok would kill the battery really quick :whistling:.

I've driven the Prius and it's a nice car, but not nice enough to justify its price. The math just does not work, you would have to drive far too many miles for the gas savings to equal the higher cost of the car, and by that time the increased maintenance costs would more than wipe out any savings. It's a nice car to make a statement, but that seems to be most of its appeal. What is the battery life now?

Surely the start/stop/start traffic in bangkok would kill the battery really quick :whistling:.

And the heat and the demand of running the air conditioning without the engine running.

Edited by Bobr

The Prius became a success not because it was a particularly good car or that saved you loads of money. It was bought by people who could well afford it and simply used to show how green and as such so great and nothing more. ;)

I do not own one and don't like the Prius very much, but this is a pretty bad mis-characterization.

In the US, a base Prius sells for about $23K sticker, but you can get them for around $21K. It gets good mileage, and like most Toyota's it is a basic, dull, but reliable car.

In CA, it allows you as a solo driver to ride in the HOV lanes. At rush hour, this can be a HUGE benefit. It is simply too popular a car at this point to be defined as narrowly as is being written here.

WRT the comment about stop & go traffic being bad for a hybrid, it si quite the opposite. Stop & go is where a hybrid shines (as opposed to the silly MPG comparison with the BMW in the video above).

All that said, 1.2 million baht is absurd. It should be priced competitive with a Corolla or a Civic, but for now Toyota is targeting the weathly greenie segment only. Remains to be seen if they or Honda will choose to sell a mass-market hybrid.

If you have the need to save the planet, wouldn't it be easier, and cheaper, to plant a tree?

If you wanted to save money/operating costs, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a City, Vios, Jazz, Civic, etc.?

But if you have more money than you know what to do with.... buy the Prius.

• 1 month later...

If you have the need to save the planet, wouldn't it be easier, and cheaper, to plant a tree?

If you wanted to save money/operating costs, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a City, Vios, Jazz, Civic, etc.?

last gen and thai made Prius is out on the roads by now. anyone tryed it?

last gen and thai made Prius is out on the roads by now. anyone tryed it?

Yes..today and its a good test drive but an opinion from an owner for a while would be good........its not so much the 'green thing' I am looking for, I went to Toyota to look at a Fortuna and the Pirius caught my eye.....it really is something, plenty of room, push button start etc and seemed OK.....a 30 minute test drive isnt enough, and cost isnt that bad, what else can you get for 1.2 mil with that amount of room and gadgets......hadnt thought of Ford as the Focus seems a bit small having 3 kids.....the battery isnt plug in, its recharged by driving......would prefer a Beemer or Merc but 1.2mil only gets a 10 year old so not interested......any opinions from owners???

Top Gear is a fantastic programme and Clarky has a great sense of humour and really take his judgment on board......but these youtubes must be almost from the last millenium!!!...The latest model has a 1.8 and 136BHP motor...........come on, has anyone got one???

Great idea, will get a mountain bike and plant 1000 bourgenvillas :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 3 months later...

Top Gear is a fantastic programme and Clarky has a great sense of humour and really take his judgment on board......but these youtubes must be almost from the last millenium!!!...The latest model has a 1.8 and 136BHP motor...........come on, has anyone got one???

Ok, I confess to going out and buying one today. I weighed out the pros and cons as followed:

Cons

Pricey (1,290,000 for top spec sportivo version with 16in alloy wheels and front/back skirts)

Unable to get the car without the go faster badges

Not exactly a chick magnet

Pros

Huge luggage and boot capacity as it's a 5 door and you can put the seats down. On top of that, there is still further (hidden) storage under the floor board, before getting to the spare tire

Really smooth ride

No discount off the retail price and no first year insurance but other freebies thrown in such as tint, reverse parking sensors, front sensors, wind/rain shields and I guess a couple of other items (sorry, my Thai's not good enough)

3 DAYS DELIVERY!!! (this was one of my main considerations and I'm promised the car on Monday - we'll see.........)

My wife liked the fact that it's unlikely anyone in her village will get the same car :) (lots of Fortuners, a smattering of Camry's in the village and surroundings)

Expected good mileage

I test drove the Camry Hybrid as well as this was my first choice but I was very disappointed in the ride. It was too soft so much so that going over the humps would make me throw up if I've had a bit to drink. Also, the take off and braking had a distinct stutter to it which I know will be very annoying if I had to spend Thb 1.7 million on a car. Also, you could hardly fit in one golf bag into the Camry whereas I reckon the Prius would easily take up to four.

AFTER putting down the deposit and effectively having bought the car, I went home and started to do my research (hey, I know I got it wrong but it actually had a pretty good ending as the reviews were pretty much all good). There is a dedicated Prius forum in the US and with the proper driving techniques (for a hybrid, such as Pulse and Glide etc), those guys were getting mileage figures in the region of 60-70 mpg. I reckon that taking into consideration Bkk traffic, the need to have the A/C on all the time, I could probably squeeze out 40 mpg, something which only my Datsun 1200 could achieve all those years ago and a dam_n sight better than my CLK so what the heck.

Most of all, the wife likes it so who am I to argue?

p/s: fact that it's one of the greenest car has as much priority as.... nothing actually. Sorry to the environmentalists among us.

pp/s: any suggestions to mod the car would be welcomed :)

I admire your choice, i sat in my Lady Dentists yesterday.It flies nicely in the Face of the Slob Look that seems to be in Vogue here.It had not been tinted, and i thought my eyesight had improved,.Modify it, why?.,its nice as it is,all your plus comments are mine.Lots of room also,but doesn't feel Jumbo.Drove it a little,smoth ride but went back,as the traffic was dangerous is someone else's ride A refreshing change id say.

Ok, I confess to going out and buying one today. I weighed out the pros and cons as followed:

Cons

Pricey (1,290,000 for top spec sportivo version with 16in alloy wheels and front/back skirts)

Unable to get the car without the go faster badges

Not exactly a chick magnet

Pros

Huge luggage and boot capacity as it's a 5 door and you can put the seats down. On top of that, there is still further (hidden) storage under the floor board, before getting to the spare tire

Really smooth ride

No discount off the retail price and no first year insurance but other freebies thrown in such as tint, reverse parking sensors, front sensors, wind/rain shields and I guess a couple of other items (sorry, my Thai's not good enough)

3 DAYS DELIVERY!!! (this was one of my main considerations and I'm promised the car on Monday - we'll see.........)

My wife liked the fact that it's unlikely anyone in her village will get the same car :) (lots of Fortuners, a smattering of Camry's in the village and surroundings)

Expected good mileage

I test drove the Camry Hybrid as well as this was my first choice but I was very disappointed in the ride. It was too soft so much so that going over the humps would make me throw up if I've had a bit to drink. Also, the take off and braking had a distinct stutter to it which I know will be very annoying if I had to spend Thb 1.7 million on a car. Also, you could hardly fit in one golf bag into the Camry whereas I reckon the Prius would easily take up to four.

AFTER putting down the deposit and effectively having bought the car, I went home and started to do my research (hey, I know I got it wrong but it actually had a pretty good ending as the reviews were pretty much all good). There is a dedicated Prius forum in the US and with the proper driving techniques (for a hybrid, such as Pulse and Glide etc), those guys were getting mileage figures in the region of 60-70 mpg. I reckon that taking into consideration Bkk traffic, the need to have the A/C on all the time, I could probably squeeze out 40 mpg, something which only my Datsun 1200 could achieve all those years ago and a dam_n sight better than my CLK so what the heck.

Most of all, the wife likes it so who am I to argue?

p/s: fact that it's one of the greenest car has as much priority as.... nothing actually. Sorry to the environmentalists among us.

pp/s: any suggestions to mod the car would be welcomed :)

Prius has good milage only at moderate speeds

Prius versys BMW M3 V8, Prius used more fuel driven at same speed

I admire your choice, i sat in my Lady Dentists yesterday.It flies nicely in the Face of the Slob Look that seems to be in Vogue here.It had not been tinted, and i thought my eyesight had improved,.Modify it, why?.,its nice as it is,all your plus comments are mine.Lots of room also,but doesn't feel Jumbo.Drove it a little,smoth ride but went back,as the traffic was dangerous is someone else's ride A refreshing change id say.

Oy Jeremy (Clarkson)), good to have yer back!.

:D

1.2 million for the new one, what was the price of the old one ?

Was one in a Tent the other week a 2005, price 910.000 baht. Do they hold there price or was the old model far more expensive ?

Thanks for the support as I expect that I will be getting more than my fair share of "OMG, how can anyone even consider this car" :D

I was thinking along the lines of chipping (if this exists) in terms of modifications, or maybe having wider and bigger (17in as they are 16in at the moment) rear tyres to try and exude a sportier look :)