How To Make Cable Modem Wireless

NALAK

I get my internet from cable tv company, how do i make it wi fi, i have looked on internet and been to computer shops without succes. i know i have to connect my cable modem to router but my wi fi router has a telephone cable style input. do i have to buy a special wifi router to connect to cable modem. any clues aprreciated as to how to make cable modem wi fi.

thanks

It sounds like you have a "Wireless DSL Router" (you said it has a phone cable input). This is a combination of a DSL modem and router (which is not what you want).

You need a "Wireless Router" (without any DSL modem)

Example of wireless router:

linksys-router.jpg

(Linksys WRT54G wireless router)

You would plug the CAT5 cable from your cable model into the "WAN" port, then plug PCs into the other ports.

(Note that some DSL Wireless routers/modems can work as a regular wireless router, but we'd need to know what model you have to see if this is possible)

(Note that some DSL Wireless routers/modems can work as a regular wireless router, but we'd need to know what model you have to see if this is possible)

I think that any/all ADSL Modem/multi-port ethernet router/WiFi Access Point all-in-one unit can be used as an adjunct to a DSL modem/Cable modem to provide additional ethernet ports and/or WiFi access. At least I have never run into one that couldn't.

I wouldn't necessarily confuse or mislead the OP into thinking they need to buy more gear. I do agree that the unit may have unique configuration requirements, so by knowing the exact model we can find the user manual and help the OP to correctly configure the unit, as RKASA has done (in the case of that Netgear model).

Having the make/model of the cable modem may help as well.

Edited by lomatopo

I think that any/all ADSL Modem/multi-port ethernet router/WiFi Access Point all-in-one unit can be used as an adjunct to a DSL modem/Cable modem to provide additional ethernet ports and/or WiFi access. At least I have never run into one that couldn't.

I wouldn't necessarily confuse or mislead the OP into thinking they need to buy more gear. I do agree that the unit may have unique configuration requirements, so by knowing the exact model we can find the user manual and help the OP to correctly configure the unit, as RKASA has done (in the case of that Netgear model).

Having the make/model of the cable modem may help as well.

I have a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless DSL router, which i have not been able to get working as a standalone "wireless router". It has no uplink/WAN port only a phone cable input and 4 output CAT5 ports. I tried for days to try and get it working with a separate DSL modem, but was unable to, and in the end just figured out the TOT DSL settings an used the D-Link as the modem...(with no separate modem)

My advice just go and buy a wireless router and don't spend days (like i did) banging your head against a wall trying to convert your DSL wireless modem into a standalone router...

The simple idiot proof way is to buy a basic Wi-Fi router. Take out the cable that plugs into your computer and plug it into the wireless router. you should then have Wi-Fi. Most come with a CD disc that you run first then it automatically connects. Good luck ;)

thanks for the advice will try some of the suggestions, i was thinking i need a new router as the input connection is a telephone style connection, hence i cant plug in from cable modem. all new to me as never had cable before just plugged netgear into phone line and away it all went. cable supplier will supply one for 3k might have to go that route.

thanks for advice..

probably should have put these pictures on first input into netgear is not compatible with out put from cable modem, i would have though there must be a lead that can connect the 2 somewhere.

post-53164-1067438_thumb.jpg

post-53164-22391_thumb.jpg

post-53164-0-56151800-1290325082_thumb.j

Edited by NALAK

If you want to use your ADSL wireless modem router with your cable modem it is a bit more complicated than a standalone cable wireless router and you will need to change some of the settings in the setup of the wireless router but this is how to do it. You will need to know what IP address range your cable modem uses. I don't know what OS you are using so I will keep it general.

First connect your cable modem (CM) to your PC.

Open the settings page for your CM.

In the LAN IP setup page (could have a different name depending on brand) find the IP address range your CM is using for DHCP, e.g. 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254

Change this range to 192.168.n.2 - 192.168.n.100 : where n is the same number from the original settings. Here you are just reserving the IP address you will give your wireless modem which will be above 100. Sometimes these numbers start from 10.n.m.2 .

Connect you ADSL wireless router (AWR) to your PC

Open the settings page of your AWR

In the LAN IP Setup page (Netgear ADSL modems) turn off DHCP and change the IP address of AWR to 192.168.n.254, again where n is the same number from your CM.

Connect your CM to your AWR with a LAN cable. Away you go. If you need to make changes to your AWR e.g. changing the your wireless network name or wireless password you will now open page 192.168.n.254 but to open your CM you will open 192.168.n.1 as usual.

It does sound complicated although I tried to make it step by step. I have done this with a Netgear DG834 as well as other brands. Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes.

post-38660-0-50266800-1291003365_thumb.j

post-38660-0-41179300-1291003372_thumb.j