Some People Never Get Wiser With Age.

newsite12

Back in the UK earlier this year, I watched a Louis Theroux documentary called 'Thai brides', and just looked it up on Youtube, as I recalled certain aspects of it and wanted to watch it again.

This is because the first time I viewed it, I was watching as a viewer who had never visited Thailand, but was interested because I was scheduled to come here soon after the TV programme went on air. Now that I have been here 6 months, I thought it good to do a comparative viewing with my 'rose tinted glasses' off... So to speak.

Now that I sort of know the score in Thailand, got to know the territory and had a few conversations (and drinks) with some of the 'long term settlers'. I have to say I am a bit miffed at the fact someone can live here so long and yet appear to be totally oblivious to risk and downfall in the Thai wife stakes.

Ronny the owner of the Thai introduction agency, he seems to be marrying most of his clients himself....lol. When I read all the horror stories on the Thai forums (not to mention, listening to similar stories face tot face). Surely the odds are shortening against you getting burned the more you dabble.

Maybe it's me, I don't know... But I can't help being amazed at how some people regardless of their obvious experience living here, seem to act like someone on a 2 week holiday in Pattaya. I really don't know whether to email him and ask him if he has totally lost the plot, or shake his hand, buy him a drink and ask him what his secret is wink.gif

Where do all the sinsods come from??

Also Lake Palmer...lol Is probably the most desperate Thai wife seeker in the world.

Just my take on it... have a watch of the video, It's in 5 10 minute parts, links below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmy_fnFqjfM

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btz8du8CPy4&feature=related

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vugk7MuObZQ&feature=related

Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wii0Zvk-Pkw&feature=related

Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeFMgA3YkMM&feature=related

" But I can't help being amazed at how some people regardless of their obvious experience living here, seem to act like someone on a 2 week holiday in Pattaya. "

I will list just 2 of the possibilities, but the reasons might really be endless.....1) Someone has invested in a business here and obviously ruining the reputation of the place by telling what's really happening around here it's not going to help them moneywise, so they just shut up and cover or even lie on evererything they can, however luckily there are also many more honest entrepreneurs. 2) Someone will just go to any extremes to defend the undefendable, you might get killed by a thai robber and you can be sure that one of those mentals will be posting here to say that if he did it then he had to do it and not any other choices and so on, just browse the forum and you will find them :D

I didn't think the owner had lost the plot at all after watching, it seemed like that guy was hamming it up (like the obvious hooker who he said was new bride he met that day) in order to drum up business. It seemed to me he took it as a high profile free advertisement for his company. It made him look ridiculous but so what, I bet he got customers and if they all got ripped off by hookers pretending to be interested in marrying so what

I didn't think the owner had lost the plot at all after watching, it seemed like that guy was hamming it up (like the obvious hooker who he said was new bride he met that day) in order to drum up business. It seemed to me he took it as a high profile free advertisement for his company. It made him look ridiculous but so what, I bet he got customers and if they all got ripped off by hookers pretending to be interested in marrying so what

You probably have a point there about Ronny scraping out every bit of publicity for his company. I guess if he shows the viewers in the west that they can have an 'unlimited' amount of wife fodder, to the point you can change you missus with your underwear. Then I suppose as a natural reaction, he probably got thousands of enquiries shortly after the program went out.

Lake Palmer... personality disorder or what... He is emotionally 'damaged goods' I shudder to think what would happen if he got took by his Thai wife. ;)

You probably have a point there about Ronny scraping out every bit of publicity for his company. I guess if he shows the viewers in the west that they can have an 'unlimited' amount of wife fodder, to the point you can change you missus with your underwear. Then I suppose as a natural reaction, he probably got thousands of enquiries shortly after the program went out.

Lake Palmer... personality disorder or what... He is emotionally 'damaged goods' I shudder to think what would happen if he got took by his Thai wife. ;)

Well he sure did get taken, been quite a few updates on this over the years, but here is an early one.

REAL-LIFE VICTIMS OF MARRIAGE SCAM: THAI BRIDES LEFT US BROKE

Lovelorn Brits reveal the true heartache behind top soap storyline

LAKE'S STORY

People will think I'm a silly old man but I was lonely

LAKE PALMER can hardly bear to watch Fred and Orchid.

The 60-year-old admits he was taken for a fool by an Asian beauty he married only three days after they met.

She strung him along for eight months before dumping him for another rich European man, leaving him £12,000 in debt.

Now Lake spends his days in bed, suffering from depression.

A former Army captain who served in the Borders, he watches Coronation Street with a growing sense of fear and dread for a character he has come to empathise with.

'The plotline has brought it all back to me,' he said.

'I don't know if they will manage to fool poor old Fred but it certainly looks like it.

'I want to shout at the TV and tell him to use his head not his heart.

'I know he's only a soap character but what's happening to him just now is really affecting me.'

Lake married Panom Yeesoon nicknamed Jad in a Buddhist ceremony in Thailand four years ago.

He was convinced he had found a woman who would love and care for him for the rest of his life.

When he returned home, he bombarded her with gifts, money and love letters. But eight months later, after failing to get a visa to come to Britain, she dumped him for someone else.

Lake said: 'I know people will say I'm a silly old man but I am very lonely. Growing old on your own is frightening.

'I was just looking for someone who would give me companionship in my twilight years a bit like Fred.'

A former offshore gas rig worker, Lake was forced to retire in 2000 due to ill health. He had been married twice before but neither relationship had lasted more than five years.

He decided to seek a Thai bride through an introduction agency. It cost him £1385 and a further £800 to get to Bangkok, where he met Jad. She was 45 but looked much younger.

'She had a regal quality,' he said. 'She was slim and very well-dressed. I was swept off my feet.'

On their second day together, he proposed. They married the following day in a hastily-arranged Buddhist ceremony. Luckily for him, Lake had forgotten his decree absolute and couldn't get the paperwork together for a legally-binding ceremony. So, what he went through was only a blessing.

He slept with Jad on their wedding night and spent five more romantic days with her, before taking his pre-booked flight home.

She pledged to follow him as soon as her visa came through. It was August 2000 and Lake thought they'd be together by Christmas.

From his home in Great Yarmouth, he ran up a telephone bill of £1800 and sent her £1500 and lavish gifts.

But she was refused a visa. It turned out she was still legally married to another Englishman.

Ever hopeful, Lake continued to correspond and send money until April 2001, when she told him in a telephone call she had met a Belgian man and didn't want to know him any more.

He said: 'I cried for six weeks and I've lost all my confidence. I only have my Army pension to live on. I think that's why she didn't want me.

'I've had a nervous breakdown and I'm still desperately lonely.'

Sad world at times. :unsure:

So according to that story he only gave a Thai girl 1500ukp in gifts.

Explain to me how he was 'taken for a ride' by his Thai GIRLFRIEND!

Well for starters she put him through a Buddhist wedding ceremony after conveniently forgetting that she was already married to another English guy.

Well for starters she put him through a Buddhist wedding ceremony after conveniently forgetting that she was already married to another English guy.

Buddhist wedding ceremony means .......... nothing (especially to a guy from the UK), it's just a party with monks.

Most Thai girls have done it a couple of times by age 30.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Buddhist wedding ceremony means .......... nothing (especially to a guy from the UK), it's just a party with monks.

You should tell my Thai wife that the Buddhist ceremony means sfa. Ask her when she was married and she will say May 29th, the day of our Buddhist ceremony and not June 2nd when we went and registered at the Amphur. It also meant a huge ammount to me too and wasn't some charade of a party.

There's still the question of being already married, that's acceptable too you is it?

• 1 month later...

That is pure BS. Not even the working ladies around here treat the ceremony like anything but the real deal. The paper0signing is just paper-work and mean nothing.

And that most girls have done it a couple of times before 30 is so-so-so wrong...

That is pure BS. Not even the working ladies around here treat the ceremony like anything but the real deal. The paper0signing is just paper-work and mean nothing.

And that most girls have done it a couple of times before 30 is so-so-so wrong...

It's not often I agree with SB, but he's actually right.

Some people might place more sentimental value on the ceremony than others, but the reality is that it counts for exactly squat........ nothing.

If people do feel sentimental then I s'pose it does count for something though, to them. But that is sentimental value only.

It's not often I agree with SB, but he's actually right.

Some people might place more sentimental value on the ceremony than others, but the reality is that it counts for exactly squat........ nothing.

If people do feel sentimental then I s'pose it does count for something though, to them. But that is sentimental value only.

You misunderstand what is written.

YES, the ceremony LEGALLY counts for squat.

BUT for most BUDDHIST people the ceremony mean a LOT and IS the marriage ceremony. The same way the ceremony in church is of great value back home, and not the signing of the paper in the priests office done before or after the ceremony...

I know of several couples, all Thai-Thai and of a generation above me, that only have done the ceremony and have lived together for 40 years and are counted as married in their and peoples eyes. The registration was just not done so much before and this is still the same in some locations.

What IS however still retained is the VALUE of the blessing ceremony. No-one does it for laughs 'a couple of times'(sic) before they are 30.

What IS however still retained is the VALUE of the blessing ceremony. No-one does it for laughs 'a couple of times'(sic) before they are 30.

I'm with TAWP on this one. We just celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary a few days ago and the one we celebrate each year is the Buddhist ceremony. We have 2 large photo albums of the ceremony & reception and my wife often brings it out to show guests who come to our home. Means nothing? Certainly means a lot to my wife and her family and it is significantly more then just sentimental value.

When we got married (13 years ago) - it was rainy season, so the monks were on temple lockdown. So we had 3 weddings - a family one with a party, a blessing at the temple with the abbot of the local temple and a few of the monks and the Amphur registration. We celebrate on the family ceremony (where we had a full Chinese/Thai wedding - mix of both - sans the monks). The monks has chosen the date for us and had told us to come for the blessing the next day - so as the auspicious day, it become our true wedding day.

One thing that strikes me (well several actually), is didn't the agency tell him what paperwork he would need (divorce papers etc)? Did they not check her ID card to see if she was married? Can he not claim his money back from them for providing a married woman and not what they promised? I think he was bitten, but should take consulation in the fact that it was only for 12k and not for ten times that or more - and that she at least had the decency to tell him rather than taking his money for years to come.

Out of interest what did he think she would do if he would not commit to living here and she was not allowed to join him? - how much commitment does she owe to a man that gave her 8 days of his life and not even a real marriage vow?

A lot has been said about her previous marriage - but she was in her 40's. Most women that are available at this age have been married before, I would suggest. Maybe she thought it was all done (maybe decade or so before) and didn't understand the paperwork legalities (lets face it most Thais have no idea about legalities and requirements here). May be she hoped her husband had/would help her sort this all out as she moved into her new life.

Edited by wolf5370

One of the reasons the Thai ladies like to just do the Monk wedding is ............ no sharing of property

What you give her is hers and hers alone ...... the children hers alone ......... the house in her name hers alone.

Don't forget the gifts of gold, the sinsot and the big party for the whole village where you were charged 50kbht, but they only really paid 10kbht.

Oh, and let's not forget, no checks to she if she was already married to someone else.

Not properly married, no joint property rights ....... no married person extension of stay.

I wonder how many Thai girls fed up with a foreign husband worry about the monk wedding they had ........... my guess is none.

It may very well mean a lot to the foreigner who desperately wants to believe the lady loves him and not his money ..........

If you want to be properly married in Thailand, you have to go to the Amphur office.

The monk wedding is one of the easiest scams for some Thai ladies to pull on a foreigner (or a Thai man)

To the previous poster mentioning photos.

The importance is bragging .... look at me ... look at the gold .... look at the big party.

Seen Thais on holiday ..... one night in a resort 1,000 photos ..... look at me ..... look where I went.

Seen a Thai lady looking at photos you took ........ look at me (no interest in photos without her)

It's all about

Thai face .... look at me ..... look how important I am ..... look what I have (and more importantly what you don't have)

I'm not Thai bashing by the way, I love em .... maybe I'm foreigner bashing .... so many stupid foreigners.

Edited by sarahsbloke

One of the reasons the Thai ladies like to just do the Monk wedding is ............ no sharing of property

What you give her is hers and hers alone ...... the children hers alone ......... the house in her name hers alone.

Don't forget the gifts of gold, the sinsot and the big party for the whole village where you were charged 50kbht, but they only really paid 10kbht.

Oh, and let's not forget, no checks to she if she was already married to someone else.

Not properly married, no joint property rights ....... no married person extension of stay.

I wonder how many Thai girls fed up with a foreign husband worry about the monk wedding they had ........... my guess is none.

It may very well mean a lot to the foreigner who desperately wants to believe the lady loves him and not his money ..........

If you want to be properly married in Thailand, you have to go to the Amphur office.

The monk wedding is one of the easiest scams for some Thai ladies to pull on a foreigner (or a Thai man)

The importance is bragging .... look at me ... look at the gold .... look at the big party.

Seen Thais on holiday ..... one night in a resort 1,000 photos ..... look at me ..... look where I went.

Seen a Thai lady looking at photos you took ........ look at me (no interest in photos without her)

It's all about

Thai face .... look at me ..... look how important I am ..... look what I have (and more importantly what you don't have)

I'm not Thai bashing by the way, I love em .... maybe I'm foreigner bashing .... so many stupid foreigners.

Even the dumbest of farangs understand that No paperwork (monk wedding) then not legal, worth nothing. :)

Even the dumbest of farangs understand that No paperwork (monk wedding) then not legal, worth nothing. :)

I think you'd be surprised mate.

There is a lot of incredibly dumb farangs out here.

OK, OK, I stand corrected, l have met a few. :lol:

Edited by transam

There are a few stupid farangs out there, it doesn't change the fact that Thai people in general base a lot of important into the ceremony or that a lot of couples here have the ceremony only and [have] live[d] together happily all their lives.

Not everything is part of a scam against you...

There are a few stupid farangs out there, it doesn't change the fact that Thai people in general base a lot of important into the ceremony or that a lot of couples here have the ceremony only and [have] live[d] together happily all their lives.

Not everything is part of a scam against you...

I'm with you on this one for sure. Legally, the Thai wedding means nothing...but to a Thai gal, it is everything. I've been to quite a few Thai/Thai weddings that were done just like mine. No different...except they had to listen to the monk chant a bit longer. :lol: To my wife, the village wedding was #1, signing the paper was #2. And yes, it is all about face. So what...no different than a wedding in the West where bigger is always better.

And it was a blast. One of the best times I have had in my life. Much better than my western wedding!!!! :lol: And much cheaper....

It's all about

You are so right SB.

8 years ago an English friend I had known for 25 years met a Thai girl gold digger while in Bangkok on holiday in Thailand.

He instantly fell in love and decided she was for him. My friend returned to England and communicated with the girl for a few months after which he announced that he was travelling to North East Thailand to marry her.

I can remember it well, all our friends and myself warned him and begged not to go through with it, but my friend would not listen. In fact he blanked us all for a while.

He travelled to the girl’s home village, spent a fortune on some lavish do for the whole village and gave away his entire life savings of £90000 sterling as a sin sot.

His exact words were; if I can’t find a wife, I’ll buy one. He honestly believed that once he gave all this cash that the girl would be loyal and they would be together for eternity.

Then we discovered that no official wedding took place, only just one big party and when my daughter read the wedding invitation that was printed in Thai, it read; (I have changed the name of the girl, don`t want to get bother with the mods) We take pleasure in inviting ------ to the wedding of, Lek Tongsu to a farang. These were the exact words printed on the invitations.

My friend managed to take the girl back to England on a fiancée visa. There they were officially married and she obtained a permanent visa to stay in Britain as married to a British citizen. After 2 years the girl left my friend to stay with her sister in Great Yarmouth and tagged on to another English guy, a 64 year old Professor.

Not long after my friend committed suicide by driving his car head on at speed into a tree. The girl, his wife inherited my friend’s house, sold it with her sister for £430000 and they bought a Thai restaurant in Great Yarmouth.

Since that time I have grown very cynical with these women and hope you all listen to our SB, he certainly knows the score.