Lady Falls Parasailing

teslawasrobbed

I have a business opposite Loma Park on the Beach Rd. Yesterday several of my staff heard a loud scream and looked up to see a lady falling from a parasail from above the tree line into the ocean from, they ran across to see if she was ok and when they got there she was surrounded by people trying to help her and they couldnt see if she was ok or not. The water was only knee deep so I hope she is ok.

Anybody have any info

Interesting to see if you maintain your sense of humour should you fall from above the tree line into knee deep water.

Interesting to see if you develop a sense of humour.

You call a report of a woman falling from a great hight into shallow water amusing and calls for a so called humorous reply ? JEEZ !!!!!!!!!!!

If your intent was to be amusing you failed miserably.

I thought I had a warped sense of humour but you take the biscuit.

Interesting to see if you maintain your sense of humour should you fall from above the tree line into knee deep water.

You call a report of a woman falling from a great hight into shallow water amusing and calls for a so called humorous reply ? JEEZ !!!!!!!!!!!

Now Now children behave!!!!

Now Now children behave!!!!

Not another one who thinks its funny.

A friend of mine is in a wheel chair thanks to a couldn't give a <deleted> parasail operator that forgot to tighten her straps in Turkey so forgive me if you think I'm being childish.

When I lived in Hawaii my neighbor had a parasail boat and you took off from the aft deck. I did this many times, but these folks here landing and taking off from the beach got balls. I have seen some old fat people hit the beach here and

it didn't look pretty...:blink:Kinda like meteorites hitting Nevada. I sure hope this lady is OK

post-49171-0-83216900-1290336287_thumb.j

Edited by bunta71

When I lived in Hawaii my neighbor had a parasail boat and you took off from the aft deck. I did this many times, but these folks here landing and taking off from the beach got balls. I have seen some old fat people hit the beach here and

it didn't look pretty...:blink:Kinda like meteorites hitting Nevada. I sure hope this lady is OK

post-49171-0-83216900-1290336287_thumb.j

Apparently this safe method of floating off from the back of the boat & then reeled back in by winch has never occurred to the operators here. I cannot count how many times I have seen people dragged flat on their face through the shallow water before becoming airborne. Not to mention the poor soul, some years back, who ended up in the power lines on the beach road.

Good.

Those parasail operations are a physical hazard to people just trying to walk on the beach. If tourists are stupid enough to ignore the public safety warnings of their home governments not to use them, and if they are stupid enough not to exercise common sense and if they are selfish enough not to care about the noise and water pollution or the imposition on others those activities cause, then they get what they deserve. I have zero sympathy for the tourists that engage in such activities in Phuket.

Good.

Those parasail operations are a physical hazard to people just trying to walk on the beach. If tourists are stupid enough to ignore the public safety warnings of their home governments not to use them, and if they are stupid enough not to exercise common sense and if they are selfish enough not to care about the noise and water pollution or the imposition on others those activities cause, then they get what they deserve. I have zero sympathy for the tourists that engage in such activities in Phuket.

What do you call that huge chip on your shoulders...Must be a real burden for you.

What do you call that huge chip on your shoulders...Must be a real burden for you.

Why would you say "chip"? I would call it a gash on the neck from a parasail cord slicing into it when a screaming slob with kicking legs c ame out of the sky from behind me. I am not the only person to have had such an incident. Are any of the items I listed inaccurate or false? People complain about the slime that rent the jetskis and the parasailing and yet the provision of the services is acceptable. There wouldn't be a blight of nasties on the bleach if no one purchased their services, would there?

I did think prior to using the word "good", as one doesn't really want to see someone crippled for life. However, a broken bone or a bruise on the user's obese arse might cause the user to think twice before infringing upon the rights of others and in encouraging noise and water pollution. Parasailing in Phuket is an unsafe and foolish activity. People that are injured while engaged in the activity have no one to blame but themselves. Am I supposed to feel sorry for a person that thought only of her own hedonistic pleasure?

water pollution.

From what? Their bleeding in the surf?? Surely you don't mean the boats? Because then you'd be advocating the banning of all boats to correct that. Actually the boats they are using have newer model outboards which produce far less pollution and noise then your average open exhaust long tail boat with a poorly running junk yard engine on it..

Anyway hope the lady turns out ok that must have been quite nasty...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Parasailing in Phuket is an unsafe and foolish activity. People that are injured while engaged in the activity have no one to blame but themselves. Am I supposed to feel sorry for a person that thought only of her own hedonistic pleasure?

Have to agree with this. People always want to point the finger when things go wrong. Most of the time they only have themselves to blame. People need to be responsible for their own decisions and actions.

I hope she's OK and I hope she doesn't start pointing her finger.

In Thailand, on a beach no... But there area lakes in Bangkok where I enjoy my hedonistic pleasures... wakeboarding and jetskiing and I don't think I am selfish for doing so - perhaps in precisely a similar manner to someone enjoying a go kart track.

Just curious geriatrickid, what are your thoughts on kiteboarding and windsurfing at the beach? they are a tad dangerous... and I have done those at the beach many times (not much in Thailand though).

In-fact I've been hospitalized (broken bones, torn muscles etc) doing all of the above... so I take my own risk for my hedonistic pleasure but do not risk others (but am slowing down a tad now... until the next ski trip in a few months).

Where is the line drawn? motorised water-sports? Or is it the fact that these hedonistic pleasures take on a new risk in Thailand when they are unregulated and we have to trust someone else (who's only concern is cash) for our safety and that of others and also worry about those others who are not in control of their craft.....

For me it appears to be a bit of a grey area...

OK, No to Jet ski's at the beach... but I also think the Long Tail boats make an unnecessarily loud noise, however pleasure craft (i.e. small speed boats and cabin cruisers) seem acceptable as most of their activity is far enough offshore not to be heard and not a nuisance to other beach occupants.

Sail craft (kite boards, windsurfs etc) should only be permitted in areas a safe distance away from designated swimming areas so as not to risk entering those areas.

Paragliding - as someone pointed out - there is only really one safe way for that involving the winch system.

water pollution.

From what? Their bleeding in the surf?? Surely you don't mean the boats? Because then you'd be advocating the banning of all boats to correct that. Actually the boats they are using have newer model outboards which produce far less pollution and noise then your average open exhaust long tail boat with a poorly running junk yard engine on it..

Anyway hope the lady turns out ok that must have been quite nasty...

With much cleaner 4-stroke engines available they don't exactly choose the environmental wise best solution.

Do agree the beach would be nicer without them, but others think differently. And who am I to choose for them?

With much cleaner 4-stroke engines available they don't exactly choose the environmental wise best solution.

Do agree the beach would be nicer without them, but others think differently. And who am I to choose for them?

Who are you referring to? If you're referring to the outboards most of them are 4 stroke engines now.. I think that people who come here on vacation deserve a certain reasonable expectation of a level of safety when trying to have fun... Just as not getting electrocuted in your hotel swimming pool or God forbid your child from an improperly repaired pool light for example.. Real life example...

Or is it the fact that these hedonistic pleasures take on a new risk in Thailand when they are unregulated and we have to trust someone else (who's only concern is cash) for our safety and that of others and also worry about those others who are not in control of their craft.....

That's the nail on the head for me. I have no problems with them ruining the beach or being environmentaly unsound. I choose to go to beaches where they don't operate, so those things don't concern me.

The obvious risk of doing such an activity, in a country like this, is one that anyone with half a brain should realise, I don't think playing dumb, and saying, 'It's not my fault, I thought it was safe' cuts it. Do your research, use common sense, and then if you still want to take a chance, don't blame anybody but yourself if it goes tits up.

I think that people who come here on vacation deserve a certain reasonable expectation of a level of safety when trying to have fun... Just as not getting electrocuted in your hotel swimming pool or God forbid your child from an improperly repaired pool light for example.. Real life example...

In an ideal world yes, but not here. People have been killed recently in the EU on these things due to poor regulation, so why would anybody be silly enough, to think it would be safe here?

I don't have a problem with recreational boaters, parasailing, or other activities as long as they are not done in areas congested with swimmers. Patong Beach is chock full of people and shouldn't have jetski rentals and parasailing every 200meters. It is both unsafe and irresponsible to allow those parasailing riders to land and take off on a beach crammed with people in chairs, swimming or walking.

Look at some of the slobs that take to the air. It is a wonder the harness doesn't break. Last year, it was proposed that there would be designated areas for the activity, and we all know the result. The longtail boats are at least kept away from people towards one end of the beach.

Remember the swimmer that was decapitated by a jetski in Pattaya a month or so ago? In that case it was a local Thai. However, watch some of the people getting on the jetskis or parasailing. They haven't a clue what they are doing. It's not that much different than the losers that have limited experience with powerful motorcycles and that then rent them while on Phuket. Even people who have never ridden a scooter before, rent them in Phuket and then wonder why they end up with road rash and broken bones when they crash.

I don't have a problem with recreational boaters, parasailing, or other activities as long as they are not done in areas congested with swimmers. Patong Beach is chock full of people and shouldn't have jetski rentals and parasailing every 200meters. It is both unsafe and irresponsible to allow those parasailing riders to land and take off on a beach crammed with people in chairs, swimming or walking.

Look at some of the slobs that take to the air. It is a wonder the harness doesn't break. Last year, it was proposed that there would be designated areas for the activity, and we all know the result. The longtail boats are at least kept away from people towards one end of the beach.

Remember the swimmer that was decapitated by a jetski in Pattaya a month or so ago? In that case it was a local Thai. However, watch some of the people getting on the jetskis or parasailing. They haven't a clue what they are doing. It's not that much different than the losers that have limited experience with powerful motorcycles and that then rent them while on Phuket. Even people who have never ridden a scooter before, rent them in Phuket and then wonder why they end up with road rash and broken bones when they crash.

I almost agree with that post. I would say however, that all the people who enjoy being crammed in to deck chairs so tightly, that if it were me I would probably develop claustrophobia, are the same people using the dangerous activities. For people like that, it's all part of the holiday, and the Patong/Karon experience.

Very similar to my opinions on dog walking, you, as the person who doesn't like that sort of scene, are the minority, so I would say the onus is upon you to find another beach.

I have the majority rule mentality. If the majority happen to like that kind of crap, over crowded beach, then let them get on with it. I'll go somewhere better.