Banned - Airmail Parcels Over 430 Grams To The Usa

Parcels banned from sending???? SMH. What a place. Amusing - not really - Thailand. And to top it off you might be able to send parcels w/out weight restrictions from another Thai postal location. This place seems to be more and more bizarre. Actually I'd be afraid to send anything valuable thru Thai postal services considering how things are here.

It has nothing to do with Thailand. It is a directive from the USA. If you go into any Thai Post office they can show you the directive. It lists about 20 countries that are currently not allowed to ship airmail over one pound to the USA.

Do you know which countries are on this list ?

LaoPo

I didn't write them down. Most of them were places like Yemen etc. Not sure why Thailand is on the list.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parcels banned from sending???? SMH. What a place. Amusing - not really - Thailand. And to top it off you might be able to send parcels w/out weight restrictions from another Thai postal location. This place seems to be more and more bizarre. Actually I'd be afraid to send anything valuable thru Thai postal services considering how things are here.

"considering how things are"... Do you know how things are?

FWIW I've been using Thailand Post to ship about 90% of my orders over the past 5 years and have found them to be very reliable and less expensive than private couriers.

When I started my business I was worried about shipping via Thailand Post, but over the last five years I've been please to discover that the Thailand Post is more reliable than the USPS in America or the LaPoste in France.

Cheers!

Tony

Agree 100%. I have been shipping items by Thai Post worldwide daily for the past two years. I have had a total of three items go missing. They made it to the destination countries (USA & Australia), and then went missing.

"considering how things are"... Do you know how things are?

FWIW I've been using Thailand Post to ship about 90% of my orders over the past 5 years and have found them to be very reliable and less expensive than private couriers.

When I started my business I was worried about shipping via Thailand Post, but over the last five years I've been please to discover that the Thailand Post is more reliable than the USPS in America or the LaPoste in France.

Cheers!

Tony

Agree 100%. I have been shipping items by Thai Post worldwide daily for the past two years. I have had a total of three items go missing. They made it to the destination countries (USA & Australia), and then went missing.

Thai Post incoming and outgoing are 2 different animals.

Sending items out of Thailand they are extremely reliable...send items in to Thailand they have around a 50% chance of arriving (especially if the mail is not a "sign-for" package).

Thai Post incoming and outgoing are 2 different animals.

Sending items out of Thailand they are extremely reliable...send items in to Thailand they have around a 50% chance of arriving (especially if the mail is not a "sign-for" package).

That has not been my experience. I have shipped a LOT of stuff here. Much of it by surface mail when that was available from the USA. I have only had one letter go missing in the 15+ years I have been living here. It was sent global priority.

^^ My mom sends us packages for the boys and stuff on a regular basis over the last 7 years without a single one lost and in reasonable time so not too bad on that front either I'd say..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just returned from the main CM PO, and got a little more clarity on this. According to them, If you are a registered Thai company with a physical address, yes you can ship airmail. My company is registered in the USA - but ships from Thailand. So, no airmail until the 8th of December. They said if I have a friend with a shop here, I could ship using their business particulars.

This gets stranger the more I read.

We sent parcels yesterday from CM main Post Office - they were under 453gr,but when we asked about weight limit restrictions for parcels to US no-one had heard of this at all.

They checked for any instructions from Head Office and told us there wern't any.

Nothing about this on Thai Post website and they are still giving post estimates here for parcels to US over 453g.

Edited by Robbogeordie

@ wimpy

If I may ask: what is the average time between posting in Thailand and arrival at the address in the USA -by airmail-? (is that always the same address or many different addresses?)

I'm curious but nothing to do with the present (banning) situation

LaoPo

@ wimpy

If I may ask: what is the average time between posting in Thailand and arrival at the address in the USA -by airmail-? (is that always the same address or many different addresses?)

LaoPo

I ship to many different addresses and countries. The service to the USA is probably the slowest of all the places I ship. Usually about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. Occasionally it will arrive in 4 or 5 days. All very unpredictable.

@ wimpy

LaoPo

I ship to many different addresses and countries. The service to the USA is probably the slowest of all the places I ship. Usually about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. Occasionally it will arrive in 4 or 5 days. All very unpredictable.

Thanks; it's more or less the same from HK and mainland China; latter is faster now than HK.

Shipping is very slow now due to the enormous mountains of packages to be sent because of the Holiday season, all over the world.

I'd say to some countries in Europe it's even worse than to US or Australia; the latter goes fastest but is of course rather close and direct.

Surprisingly quite a number of packages to the small Mediterranean island of Malta arrive VERY fast (probably via London). UK is pretty fast.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hmmmm.....unfortunately there's nobody, able to confirm your "probably".....

Well actually it was claimed by a retired Major with Delta Force that was at the battle of Tora Bora December 2001 himself.

Also it does not hurt that there has been NO CONFIRMED sighting of him since.

But then again that is how these things work yes?

None confirmation is what is wanted/needed

Otherwise how can they continue to invade Afghanistan/pipelineistan ?

The 'recent' discovery of $1Trillion in minerals in Afghanistan might have something to do with keeping the long dead OBL [the modern Emmanuel Goldstein] myth alive.

OBL is living in a villa outside of Beijing and gets a cut of any rare earth minerals the PR Chinese are able to wrest away from the Yanks.

BTW of that US$ 1 Trillion number most is just boring stuff: Over 700 billion is iron and copper; rare earth about 7 billion

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals-graphic.html?ref=asia

Edited by jazzbo

Update , and looking for any suggestions (constructive ones) Wed the 24th we were told we could not send airmail over 453 grams to the US, but SAL was fine. Friday we were told we could not send SAL either. Nothing but surface (read 3 months) and to expect our previously sent SAL's to be returned from Bangkok. Does anyone have a solution outside of paying 4x the price with FEDEX or UPS?

Update , and looking for any suggestions (constructive ones) Wed the 24th we were told we could not send airmail over 453 grams to the US, but SAL was fine. Friday we were told we could not send SAL either. Nothing but surface (read 3 months) and to expect our previously sent SAL's to be returned from Bangkok. Does anyone have a solution outside of paying 4x the price with FEDEX or UPS?

maybe one solution is to wait till the 8th of December when supposedly this regulation will be lifted...this is the date I saw on the official paper and confirmed by the employee although no one knows for sure

anyone has any updates on the 8th of December situation?

Hmmmm.....unfortunately there's nobody, able to confirm your "probably".....

Well actually it was claimed by a retired Major with Delta Force that was at the battle of Tora Bora December 2001 himself.

Sure it wasn't Chuck Norris playing a retired major in another one of his MIA-type movies.

CAN send packiges over 430 grams, with a little trick :))

i was recently notified at the post office they also showed me the official documents from the main post office, where they explain also illustrated with pictures how to send packiges what over 430grams to USA

its simple, they only require that you write down on the packige your business name/company name, and add your signature to the packige as well, they say if u do like this you can send any packiges what is over 430g

(this all is quiet weird, becouse u dont have to show any company documents, so i guess u can send packiges freely just have to add a company name...hmm... make not so much sense)

Hi,

Can you confirm that you can still send your parcels from Thai post office ?

And does anybody know if things will be ok from December, 8th 2010 ?

Thanks.

Can not find any decent information on Google for some bizar reason, anyone know the 34 countries that the USA banned larger parcels from?

That is because ultimately it is a bunch of sketchy BS TERROR scare tactics.

You will have a hard time finding exact info on it.

But you can start here...

Statement by Secretary Napolitano on Increased Security Measures

This one is recent but Japan specific...They actually have posted the most info thus far...

453-gram limit on U.S.-bound mail

comments from others

DHS Blocks Overseas Mail Packages

http://community.livejournal.com/dears/2402085.html

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1128314

Edited by flying

• 2 weeks later...

How are you Thailand to USA shippers doing with this problem?

Hopefully it has been corrected by now.....

I was curious since I saw Japan now shipping albeit slower but at least shipping.

Japan Post gets secure planes; can now send large packages

Date Posted: 2010-12-03

The Japan Post is again accepting packages weighing one pound (453 grams) or larger and destined for U.S. destinations.

The postal system had stopped shipping such packages November 17th at the request of the U.S. Transportation Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security because its packages weren’t being sent via aircraft that inspected cargo. Japan Post has now secured space aboard cargo aircraft that undergo thorough security inspections prior to departure. Rival package shipping services Federal Express, United Parcel Service and DHL, all of which have their own aircraft, never stopped accepting packages.

The Japan Post says while airmail packages are again being accepted, delivery may take a little longer than usual to stateside destinations due to limited space in contracted cargo aircraft. It says international parcels are also undergoing more stringent security inspections, and that also slows the mail.