Banned - Airmail Parcels Over 430 Grams To The Usa

Shipped 2.5kilos of stuff to Australia from the PO. NO problems - what happended to being allies!!!

have to agree these knee jerk reactions are ridiculous...

Are we not all shocked to find out that while passengers have to go thru expensive machinery and feel up searches that cargo was not until recenttly subject to any checks ??? What an absolute joke!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried posting something today, and was told the ban was now in place again. This time, mail to the USA will be banned for 2 months? :whistling:

This was also my experience this morning. I tried 2 different post offices, the first one refused and the second one accepted but probably because the second post office was not updated yet as this regulation took effect this morning I believe. Quite frustrating all this :angry:

Also as the previous poster said it seems to be in place for a much longer time than the previous one. I was told till February 8 or something like that. At this point I am seriously considering to open a business account with the Thai post office as I heard that in this case it is still possible to mail parcels over 453gr. Does anyone know more about this and what are the requirements to open a business account? Any help very welcome :)

Edited by ELLHNAS

The Postmaster just told me that, according to the new regulations received today, if you are a "known person" at the post office you can still ship parcels to the USA. You will need to affix a commercial invoice to the exterior of the package and provide telephone numbers for the shipper and recipient.

He also said he has had a bunch of parcels returned in the last couple days and had to issue refunds to the shippers. He wasn't happy at all. This may well happen to those of you that were allowed to ship today.

The Postmaster just told me that, according to the new regulations received today, if you are a "known person" at the post office you can still ship parcels to the USA. You will need to affix a commercial invoice to the exterior of the package and provide telephone numbers for the shipper and recipient.

He also said he has had a bunch of parcels returned in the last couple days and had to issue refunds to the shippers. He wasn't happy at all. This may well happen to those of you that were allowed to ship today.

Thanks for the info. The most frustrating thing besides the restriction itself is that many employees in the post offices are ill informed and give conflicting information. I got my wife to call several post offices including the number of the central post office service 1545 and they all seem to give different answers :blink:

Your postmaster seems to be more knowledgeable. Did he tell you when that newest regulation will be lifted?Also does the regulation apply to the same previous 32 (?) countries as before? I am assuming that shipping to Canada/Australia/Europe is normal (?)

Edited by ELLHNAS

Thanks for the info. The most frustrating thing besides the restriction itself is that many employees in the post offices are ill informed and give conflicting information. I got my wife to call several post offices including the number of the central post office service 1545 and they all seem to give different answers :blink:

Your postmaster seems to be more knowledgeable. Did he tell you when that newest regulation will be lifted?Also does the regulation apply to the same previous 32 (?) countries as before? I am assuming that shipping to Canada/Australia/Europe is normal (?)

He showed me the directive - written in Thai. It lasts until early February. I can't remember the exact date. There was a list of countries, so I assume it is the same ones. I shipped to the UK and and Australia today without difficulty. I got the exact same information from the airport PO, so I think it is accurate.

I was told today that the post office here in Udon Thani would NOT accept ANY parcels to the US. Letter mail ok. The excuse given was concerns about N. Korea and the possibility of a bomb in a package.

No doubt they said this....they seem to be using the latest news headlines for the quick response versus being able to specifically state the guidance they received....plus, maybe just wanting to avoid any possible follow-on hassle in accepting a package addressed to the U.S.

Possibly a way of protecting their own businesses(thai), by making it more difficult for falang under they raidar trading...

No. It is a directive from US Homeland Security, not the Thai government.

But for a limited -selected- number of countries if I understand correctly since other countries have no limitations, like Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, China etc....sending parcels OVER a certain weight.

Those selected countries are possible more of a threath than others although the rule that if a post office knows you, and will send the/a package sounds a bit absurd....

LaoPo

Possibly a way of protecting their own businesses(thai), by making it more difficult for falang under they raidar trading...

No. It is a directive from US Homeland Security, not the Thai government.

But for a limited -selected- number of countries if I understand correctly since other countries have no limitations, like Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, China etc....sending parcels OVER a certain weight.

Those selected countries are possible more of a threath than others although the rule that if a post office knows you, and will send the/a package sounds a bit absurd....

LaoPo

It's dependant on the Countries airmail shipping methods, some use Cargo Aircraft which is fine, places such as Thailand who ship using Passenger aircraft into the USA have these regulations.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo I need to ship a 2kg package to the US, that cannot be split into smaller components. We've called up a few PO's and asked them about the whole known person/commercial invoice thing and they all categorically refused, they will not accept any package over 453g no matter the circumstances, even by surface mail! I'll head to my local PO later and try to get a straight answer face to face (yeah... I know... wishful thinking?), but looking at alternatives it seems that UPS offers the cheapest rates with their economy service (Worldwide Expedicted), but that's gonna cost 3,800 Baht instead of 1,500 or so... whoopee...

So just how are people shipping packages to the US without paying through the nose? Does anyone have a confirmed Post Office where they have recently successfully sent a package using a commercial invoice (I'd rather spend an extra 200B on gasoline than 2,300 on UPS...)

Soooo I need to ship a 2kg package to the US, that cannot be split into smaller components. We've called up a few PO's and asked them about the whole known person/commercial invoice thing and they all categorically refused, they will not accept any package over 453g no matter the circumstances, even by surface mail! I'll head to my local PO later and try to get a straight answer face to face (yeah... I know... wishful thinking?), but looking at alternatives it seems that UPS offers the cheapest rates with their economy service (Worldwide Expedicted), but that's gonna cost 3,800 Baht instead of 1,500 or so... whoopee...

So just how are people shipping packages to the US without paying through the nose? Does anyone have a confirmed Post Office where they have recently successfully sent a package using a commercial invoice (I'd rather spend an extra 200B on gasoline than 2,300 on UPS...)

There is no way that Post offices will ship parcel of 430grams and over by air; period.

The same step has been taken in Europe (I'm not sure if ALL countries have to follow this step though); NO parcels more than 500 grams will be shipped by air via normal mail/post because of failing security, whereever.

Parcels of 430/500grams+ can only be shipped either by sea or by Courier Services because they have tight security systems in place; more than normal shipping methods by air.

LaoPo

There is no way that Post offices will ship parcel of 430grams and over by air; period.

The same step has been taken in Europe (I'm not sure if ALL countries have to follow this step though); NO parcels more than 500 grams will be shipped by air via normal mail/post because of failing security, whereever.

Parcels of 430/500grams+ can only be shipped either by sea or by Courier Services because they have tight security systems in place; more than normal shipping methods by air.

LaoPo

Absolute nonsense. I ship large parcels by airmail to the USA, Australia, and Europe every day. As long as the post office is familiar with you, it is no problem.

LaoPo

Absolute nonsense. I ship large parcels by airmail to the USA, Australia, and Europe every day. As long as the post office is familiar with you, it is no problem.

Absolute Nonsense?

That's what the countries' Post systems say on their website.

The question is....did your parcels arrive without using courier services ?

If your large and more than 430 grams parcels arrived WITH the standard shipping method, they're probably extra checked both in Thailand and the US but that the postman knows you doesn't say anything; I would call that a VERY "strange" exception rule, set by the US Government...telling Mama Thai Post...

"OK, if you know that guy in Thailand, it's OK to send heavier parcels than 430 grams because he's probably a nice guy if YOU know him and probably won't send any nasty bombs to us..."yeah right....:rolleyes:

LaoPo

Yes, absolute nonsense.

As shown to me by the post office, the current rules are that you can send parcels over 500 grams by air or EMS if you are a "known person" at the post office.

As I said, I am shipping large parcels daily around the world. I am not using courier services. I am using Thai Post. Airmail and EMS. I have no idea how they are "checked". It is not an exception to the rule. I am following the rules as dictated by US Homeland Security and Thai Post.

Edited by wimpy

Yes, absolute nonsense.

As shown to me by the post office, the current rules are that you can send parcels over 500 grams by air or EMS if you are a "known person" at the post office.

As I said, I am shipping large parcels daily around the world. I am not using courier services. I am using Thai Post. Airmail and EMS. I have no idea how they are "checked". It is not an exception to the rule. I am following the rules as dictated by US Homeland Security and Thai Post.

Interesting in Bangkok our local post office accepts EMS above 500 grams but for registered airmail small packet only up to 500 grams.

I wonder why we can't send airmail but can send EMS above 500 grams - note we are known as daily shippers at the local post office but we do not put invoices on the outside of the box should we change that?

Yes, absolute nonsense.

Interesting in Bangkok our local post office accepts EMS above 500 grams but for registered airmail small packet only up to 500 grams.

I wonder why we can't send airmail but can send EMS above 500 grams - note we are known as daily shippers at the local post office but we do not put invoices on the outside of the box should we change that?

I am able to send small packets to the USA if I affix an invoice to the exterior. Other countries, it is not necessary.

Yes, absolute nonsense.

Maybe you can use some more polite words next time, instead "absolute nonsense" as if I am writing incorrect statements; I'm just saying what's written on websites in Europe*.

Next to that I'm most interested in the rules, dictated by US Homeland Security and Thai Post and I'm sure you have no problems, sending here the links.

I'm very curious if they say that if a post officer and any Post Office in Thailand knows the client, it's OK to send...because THAT's exactly what you're claiming; you didn't inform us here if you are a business client which you probably are if you send many parcels.

And, as you know, EMS is a Track & Trace service (working together with Thailand Post, amongst others) whereby the sender and receiver are known and EMS is considered a courier and something else than normal Post shipping.

So you probably send all your parcels via EMS instead normal mail standard shipping.

* http://www.royalmail...3800088#1600085

* http://www.tntpost.n...CM-QL2ZwarePost shipments to the USA over 500 grams only possible via special delivery (and more expensive and heavier security checks) with TNT Easy Express! Other shipments by sea.

LaoPo

Yes, absolute nonsense.

EMS is considered a Courier and Courier Services have a special status since the security checks are much heavier (and already normal standard) and better than with the normal post shipping ways. So, sending above 500 grams is no problem with any Courier, but costly; depends on the volume/weight.

Depends on the value and client if they wish to pay extra for the difference in freight with EMS versus normal standard costs.

LaoPo

Normal airmail is no problem if you are a known person. Visit your post office to see the printed requirements. What the Royal Mail is requiring is not relevant. No need to be a business.

Well, I'm not in Thailand so that's difficult but you said that you're following a.o. the rules of the US Homeland Security but you're not willing to post the link...well...I still think it's absurd yu can post with standard post ".....if you are a known person" and doubt very much if that's also a rule by US Homeland but don't bother to answer.

LaoPo

There is no link. The post office has the instructions from Homeland Security, which they are happy to show you if you ask - and can read Thai.

You're a friendly chap.

LaoPo